PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Walker has a Great Take on the Jones Situation

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Good listen here...

https://soundcloud.com/user-32981827/more-cowbell-the-return-may-27-2020

gtowndawg
05-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Yes, great podcast. Worth listening to for sure. Brandon does a great job.

"We church out NFL players, they churn our high school assistant coaches."

"If you want to make money as a professional football player in the NFL go to Mississippi State. If you want to make money in college go to Ole Miss."

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Yes, great podcast. Worth listening to for sure. Brandon does a great job.

He really does. The profanity doesn't bother me, but I understand if it does other people. That being said, if you can just get past it, he's got really good opinions & points

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 11:20 AM
FWIW, Brandon has a 122K followers not on twitter. For comparison, Barrett Sallee only has 90K.

MSU has a real voice now & that's awesome

gtowndawg
05-27-2020, 11:25 AM
He really does. The profanity doesn't bother me, but I understand if it does other people. That being said, if you can just get past it, he's got really good opinions & points

And for those reading, he tries not to cuss much on this podcast

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Brandon's stat

Ole Miss has had 62 4 & 5 stars the last 10 years & has 23 drafts picks. LOL.

Worst developmental program in America

Maroonthirteen
05-27-2020, 03:57 PM
This is probably the best attitude to have on it. You done messed up but enjoy yourself.

With that said..... and listening to all the sports podcast take on it..... the one question that still remains and yet hasn't really been asked. Where was Jones State teammates in all this? Are some State guys working out and he wasn't invited? Surely Jones had State teammates in the jackson area to workout with. Also I heard Leach imply he had almost daily zoom meetings in an interview recently. So it wasn't like our coaches fell off the earth.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 04:03 PM
This is probably the best attitude to have on it. You done messed up but enjoy yourself.

With that said..... and listening to all the sports podcast take on it..... the one question that still remains and yet hasn't really been asked. Where was Jones State teammates in all this? Are some State guys working out and he wasn't invited? Surely Jones had State teammates in the jackson area to workout with. Also I heard Leach imply he had almost daily zoom meetings in an interview recently. So it wasn't like our coaches fell off the earth.

That's a fair point that I'm not sure anyone has an answer to.

Jones hasn't been announced yet by Ole Miss & I'm sure there is a reason for that. Draw your own conclusions

Todd4State
05-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Kylin Hill and Malik Heath work out at the same place.

Maroonthirteen
05-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Kylin Hill and Malik Heath work out at the same place.

Ah. Appreciate it.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 05:22 PM
I don't have any idea whether or not D1 in Madison is pushing kids to Ole Miss. I really don't.

However, the optics of that place would be significantly better if there was an ex-MSU player on staff as well.

I'm not sure if there are any ex MSU players living in that area, but hiring one sure would take the bulls eye off that place & improve the optics so they didn't get blamed every time something goofy like this happens.

Would just seem like a good business move unless their sole purpose is to push metro kids to OM

gtowndawg
05-27-2020, 05:23 PM
You can subscribe to the More Cowbell podcast at Apple Podcast. I'm hoping he starts putting out more.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 05:26 PM
You can subscribe to the More Cowbell podcast at Apple Podcast. I'm hoping he starts putting out more.

I'm curious how Barstool views that.

I'm not sure how excited Barstool would be with Brandon putting out a personal podcast, that he could make some money on, while under contract with Barstool. Would seem like there would be a non-compete, particularly while under contract.

gtowndawg
05-27-2020, 05:38 PM

I'm not sure how excited Barstool would be with Brandon putting out a personal podcast, that he could make some money on, while under contract with Barstool. Would seem like there would be a non-compete, particularly while under contract.

On his basement talks on Twitter he's implied Barstool wants him making as much content as possible. Not sure how their contract is structured but I bet he's on top if it.

KOdawg1
05-27-2020, 05:48 PM
Like him or not, Brandon Walker being a national media personality is a good thing for us.

I love his shows. He's knowledgeable about what he's talking about, which can't be said for some in the business.

TheLostDawg
05-27-2020, 08:09 PM
On his basement talks on Twitter he's implied Barstool wants him making as much content as possible. Not sure how their contract is structured but I bet he's on top if it.

He's promoting bar stool. Here talked about them about a quarter of the time. I'm sure they see it as free publicity and keeping Brandon happy

TheLostDawg
05-27-2020, 08:10 PM
I don't have any idea whether or not D1 in Madison is pushing kids to Ole Miss. I really don't.

However, the optics of that place would be significantly better if there was an ex-MSU player on staff as well.

I'm not sure if there are any ex MSU players living in that area, but hiring one sure would take the bulls eye off that place & improve the optics so they didn't get blamed every time something goofy like this happens.

Would just seem like a good business move unless their sole purpose is to push metro kids to OM

Doesn't Boobie live in Jackson. I think that he has his own thing going on though

Todd4State
05-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Ah. Appreciate it.

No problem. I only noticed the players that I follow on social media. I think a lot of them have been getting private coaching somewhere. Coincidentally the D1 MSU guys came out with videos very recently.**

I don't know Mike Espy that well but we are about the same age and I know people that do. Let me just say I would be much more surprised if he was on the up and up. His whole family has a history of corruption.

Anthony Dixon works out at the Baptist Sports Healthplex a mile or less from D1 all the time. You're right that they need to hire someone from MSU to change their optics. Heck- Paul Lacoste's headquarters are in Madison on Old Canton Rd if I'm not mistaken.

There are plenty of MSU people in Madison- maybe more than Ole Miss. But the problem has always been that MSU has never had any boosters there that were willing to play dirty for whatever reason. That and Ole Miss seems to have an obsession with Madison Central football players.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 08:37 PM
There are plenty of MSU people in Madison- maybe more than Ole Miss. But the problem has always been that MSU has never had any boosters there that were willing to play dirty for whatever reason. That and Ole Miss seems to have an obsession with Madison Central football players.

It’s about status. As BW said, Ole Miss sells BS and, while Madison has more MSU than OM people, the OM people are flashy around there. They put off the rich school vibe.

Ignorant kids buy into it

SheltonChoked
05-27-2020, 08:38 PM

Since he was calling Barstool people on More Cowbell, including Big Cat, I think Barstool is ok with him doing More Cowbell occasionally....

Just a hunch

Todd4State
05-27-2020, 09:08 PM
It’s about status. As BW said, Ole Miss sells BS and, while Madison has more MSU than OM people, the OM people are flashy around there. They put off the rich school vibe.

Ignorant kids buy into it

Trust me I know Madison VERY well. MSU fans in Madison could pay MC players every bit as much as Ole Miss fans could. There is no MSU equivalent of XenaReb there though. We don't have anyone even trying.

Honestly, though- if there was someone the MSU equivalent of XenaReb in Madison it would result in an all out recruiting Civil War that would be incredibly ugly.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2020, 09:38 PM
Brandon's stat

Ole Miss has had 62 4 & 5 stars the last 10 years & has 23 drafts picks. LOL.

Worst developmental program in America

Watching the replay of LsU Texas game, they said Texas last 1st round draft pick was Vince Young. That was 2006. That is 13 years. Did they have one this year? That is really unbelievable.

maroonmania
05-27-2020, 09:52 PM
That's a fair point that I'm not sure anyone has an answer to.

Jones hasn't been announced yet by Ole Miss & I'm sure there is a reason for that. Draw your own conclusions

I have no idea if something will come out that will preclude him from going to OM or not. Also not sure how hard our administration and coaches will even pursue the matter. But I do know that if anyone believes JJ spent the entire weekend in Oxford BEFORE he entered the transfer portal and there was no illegal contact or tampering then I guess you will believe just about anything.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2020, 10:09 PM
I have no idea if something will come out that will preclude him from going to OM or not. Also not sure how hard our administration and coaches will even pursue the matter. But I do know that if anyone believes JJ spent the entire weekend in Oxford BEFORE he entered the transfer portal and there was no illegal contact or tampering then I guess you will believe just about anything.

Agree.

I think we'll pursue it to the fullest extent because of the broader ramifications & protecting the program.

Even if we don't succeed, a line needs to be drawn

Todd4State
05-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Agree.

I think we'll pursue it to the fullest extent because of the broader ramifications & protecting the program.

Even if we don't succeed, a line needs to be drawn

I think we'll just deny his waiver to play immediately. Which is probably all we can do at this point.

Uncle Ruckus
05-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Watching the replay of LsU Texas game, they said Texas last 1st round draft pick was Vince Young. That was 2006. That is 13 years. Did they have one this year? That is really unbelievable.
That?s not the least bit true

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2020, 07:56 AM
I think we'll just deny his waiver to play immediately. Which is probably all we can do at this point.

I'm sure we can investigate & hand over findings

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2020, 08:00 AM

2015 - Malcolm Brown
2013 - Kenny Vaccaro
2010 - Earl Thomas
2009 - Brian Orakpo
2007 - Aaron Ross
2007 - Michael Griffin
2006 - Michael Huff

So Vince Young is the last offensive 1st round pick that Texas has had. All these guys are defensive players

Jack Lambert
05-28-2020, 08:09 AM
That?s not the least bit true

2015 was the last year. ESPN announcers are always getting things wrong. Still four years. I think there was a bunch of Guys from State of Texas that was drafted in first round. How did Texas miss out on them. Heck did A&M have a first rounder this season or last season?

Jack Lambert
05-28-2020, 08:12 AM
2015 - Malcolm Brown
2013 - Kenny Vaccaro
2010 - Earl Thomas
2009 - Brian Orakpo
2007 - Aaron Ross
2007 - Michael Griffin
2006 - Michael Huff

So Vince Young is the last offensive 1st round pick that Texas has had. All these guys are defensive players

Maybe the guy who said it left out the offensive part, I know during the Egg Bowl they said couple of times Ealy was from Jackson Prep out of Hattiesburg.

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2020, 08:17 AM
2015 was the last year. ESPN announcers are always getting things wrong. Still four years. I think there was a bunch of Guys from State of Texas that was drafted in first round. How did Texas miss out on them. Heck did A&M have a first rounder this season or last season?

Here is all you need to know about the University of Texas' evaluation ability

Pat Maholmes - Tyler
Drew Brees - Austin Westlake HS
Andy Dalton - Houston
Chase Daniel - Irving
Nick Foles - Austin Westlake HS
RG3 - Copperas Cove/Ft Hood
Case Keenum - Abilene
Andrew Luck - Houston
Baker Mayfield - Lake Travis HS (Austin)
Kyler Murray - North Dallas
Matt Stafford - Dallas
Jarrett Stidham - Stephenville
Ryan Tannehill - Big Spring

Dak Prescott - 15 miles from Texas boarder

That's 13 NFL QBs from Texas & none of them played at the University of Texas.

SheltonChoked
05-28-2020, 09:44 AM

Recruiting Texas high Schools is Different. Texas High School coaches believe that a commitment goes both ways. Which is good and bad. Texas, and A&M have had trouble in the past with committing " cannot miss" prospects early, that stopped developing.

If you remember several years ago, Mullen dropped a Texas QB, and his head coach threw a fit. https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi-state/mississippi-states-dan-mullen-pulled-a-qb-recruits-scholarship-offer-16-days-before-he-was-set-to-graduate

Reactions like that from coaches really hurt.

Not to mention all the Big money donor coaches

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Trust me I know Madison VERY well. MSU fans in Madison could pay MC players every bit as much as Ole Miss fans could. There is no MSU equivalent of XenaReb there though. We don't have anyone even trying.

Honestly, though- if there was someone the MSU equivalent of XenaReb in Madison it would result in an all out recruiting Civil War that would be incredibly ugly.

Youre exactly right. Also, i would add there are alot of XenaRebs out there that we don't know about. I've never met that type person in the MSU camp. I am NOT taking a shot at MSU with that statement.....I think its creepy to stalk and buy kids you don't know...even ones you do know.....but anyway.....and thats why we lose recruiting battles to them from the WEst Point brothers in the 80s to Doug $20 Buckles to this fiasco.

Jack Lambert
05-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Recruiting Texas high Schools is Different. Texas High School coaches believe that a commitment goes both ways. Which is good and bad. Texas, and A&M have had trouble in the past with committing " cannot miss" prospects early, that stopped developing.

If you remember several years ago, Mullen dropped a Texas QB, and his head coach threw a fit. https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi-state/mississippi-states-dan-mullen-pulled-a-qb-recruits-scholarship-offer-16-days-before-he-was-set-to-graduate

Reactions like that from coaches really hurt.

Not to mention all the Big money donor coaches

I guess Texans do really think they are better than everyone else. All that sounds crazy especially when you factor in how bad they want to win and no Texas school has won a NC since 2006 and none have not been in the playoffs. Sounds like they have a case of stubborness and too much pride.

SheltonChoked
05-28-2020, 03:23 PM
I guess Texans do really think they are better than everyone else. All that sounds crazy especially when you factor in how bad they want to win and no Texas school has won a NC since 2006 and none have not been in the playoffs. Sounds like they have a case of stubborness and too much pride.

Coupled with the fraud that is recruiting rankings... easy to find the Jedavian Clowneys in High School. Hard to find the JJ Watts. UTexas was getting commitments in 10th grade... and Keeping them.

Then add on the guys worth billions "consulting" the coaches on who to recruit and who to play. Imagine the Chaos on the MSU sideline if all us assholes were standing screaming at the head coach in the game. and the coach knowing we could gather our pocket change for his buyout at halftime. That's reality at Utexas and A&M. Utexas has 2,195 alumni worth over $30 million each, combined wealth $463 billion.

gtowndawg
05-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Sidenote but after the 98 Cotton Bowl I've never hated a fan base (other than Ole Miss) more than Texas. I hope they fail in every endeavor they find themselves in from academics to athletics.

maroonmania
05-28-2020, 04:23 PM

I'm not sure we have a say in the waiver. I think all we can do is present evidence of tampering that would have the NCAA disallow the transfer to OM. Whatever school he is allowed to transfer to would be the one that would petition the waiver for not sitting out a year and the NCAA would decide based on the merits.