PDA

View Full Version : Coach 34

RBritt
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Basketball recruiting for 2014 and 2015. What's the word? I know the Davis kid from Provine likes State.

Coach34
04-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Basketball recruiting for 2014 and 2015. What's the word? I know the Davis kid from Provine likes State.

basketball recruiting has gotten alot more quiet since Stands was fired. I'm sure there are some guys that have heard alot more than I have.

But this is a big November for Ray- we need a couple of quality players

12five98
04-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Not Coach but here are some guys we have offered and are interested in:
Joniah White PF/C Madison, MS
Jalen Lindsey SF Nashville, TN (recently cut down to 9 and we are in it. 4 star - long shot to get him)
Demetrius Houston SF Tuscaloosa, AL
Jabari Craig C Tucker, GA

Malik Newman SF Jackson, MS
KJ Lawson SF Memphis, TN
Jashire Hardnett PG Gulfport, MS

More than likely won't get Malik or Lawson. Don't think we've offered Jerekius Davis yet.

Raytoraid83
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
The top guy in 2014 Devin Booker, no one in Mississippi has a shot at, he's not originally from here and wants to play at a North Carolina, duke or someone like that. In 2015 Malik Newman is the guy that could bring our program back to contending for titles. When Ray was first hired he and his dad laughed at it,but supposedly Ray has made up some ground and we're back in it. Malik's one of the top 5 players in the country in 2015, gonna take a great recruiting effort to land him, hopefully Ray can pull it off.

12five98
04-17-2013, 01:36 PM
The top guy in 2014 Devin Booker, no one in Mississippi has a shot at, he's not originally from here and wants to play at a North Carolina, duke or someone like that. In 2015 Malik Newman is the guy that could bring our program back to contending for titles. When Ray was first hired he and his dad laughed at it,but supposedly Ray has made up some ground and we're back in it. Malik's one of the top 5 players in the country in 2015, gonna take a great recruiting effort to land him, hopefully Ray can pull it off.

Malik is going to be tough.

Like you said, we have no shot at Booker. He has offers from Duke, UNC, Michigan, Michigan St, Mizz, etc. He's not really from MS anyway.

Raytoraid83
04-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Yea by no means do I think we have a good shot at Malik especially once the big boys come calling. I'd put it at less than 20% right now that we get him

Raytoraid83
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
The fact that he's from callaway helps but now that Wayne Brent's gone I'm not sure if he'll even stay there.

state66
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
If Ray does land Malik I think everyone can quit saying he cant recruit. He's a program changer for sure.

Raytoraid83
04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Obviously, but no signs point to him landing Malik yet. Lets work on landing an above average player first. Like Lindsey from Nashville or the guy from Memphis can't think of his name right now.

hailmari
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I thought we were currently in the lead for Malik. Last I heard, he's a State guy.

12five98
04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Obviously, but no signs point to him landing Malik yet. Lets work on landing an above average player first. Like Lindsey from Nashville or the guy from Memphis can't think of his name right now.

You're probably thinking of Marcanvis Hymon. Forgot about him. Offers from us, OM, Ark, Mizz, UMASS, and a few others. I like him alot.

Coach34
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I thought we were currently in the lead for Malik. Last I heard, he's a State guy.

Malik's dad is a Bulldog. He is handling his recruiting. Getting rid of Stands helped us there- but we are still an underdog. Horatio wants him playing in the bigtime for the most part I heard- and that means outside the SEC. It's not just about State but the conference as a whole.

engie
04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I may be in the minority, but I don't see Malik as a program cornerstone. That's what Sword, Ware, and Thomas are IMO. Malik, to me, is the last piece of the puzzle that puts a team over the top for a one-year glory run -- and could have a lasting effect in that regard.

To me, the guys that will build/sustain MSU are the workmanlike players that stick around for their whole careers. Add in just one or two true stars, and we're in serious business. That said, in today's college basketball, it's proven every single year that you can win without superstars if you have a great TEAM that plays smart fundamental basketball.

msstate7
04-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I may be in the minority, but I don't see Malik as a program cornerstone. That's what Sword, Ware, and Thomas are IMO. Malik, to me, is the last piece of the puzzle that puts a team over the top for a one-year glory run -- and could have a lasting effect in that regard.

To me, the guys that will build/sustain MSU are the workmanlike players that stick around for their whole careers. Add in just one or two true stars, and we're in serious business. That said, in today's college basketball, it's proven every single year that you can win without superstars if you have a great TEAM that plays smart fundamental basketball.

I agree. How can you build a program around a guy that'll likely leave after one year?

Coach34
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I agree. How can you build a program around a guy that'll likely leave after one year?

You can't. Malik is a great talent and wishful thinking...we need to worry alot more about guys we can land that will sustain the program

slickdawg
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Even Kentucky had to have some "in the program" guys last year, like Terrance Jones. Their magic didn't work this year because they didn't have a Terrance Jones and others.

Dog316
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
To me, the guys that will build/sustain MSU are the workmanlike players that stick around for their whole careers. Add in just one or two true stars, and we're in serious business. That said, in today's college basketball, it's proven every single year that you can win without superstars if you have a great TEAM that plays smart fundamental basketball.[/QUOTE]

----------

Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. We were already winning every year. I'm afraid our basketball program may fade as quickly as the Southern Miss football program. Fan interest seems to be at a long time low based on attendance last year and current season ticket sales.

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Yep, because a Coach Ray hire didn't excite nor did it unite the fan base. Winning will cure everything though. He starts the season 10-3, 9-4 something like that (with the schedule we have he should) you will see more fans in the seats for the SEC games.

601Dawg
11-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Guys like Shane Power and Lawrence who were transfered sure were two good cornerstone type players for us.

This is a new day and age in college basketball. You aren't going to see many teams who make the Tourney who is loaded with upper classmen. The players with talent go pro after their fr or soph years.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. We were already winning every year. I'm afraid our basketball program may fade as quickly as the Southern Miss football program. Fan interest seems to be at a long time low based on attendance last year and current season ticket sales.

The idea in firing Stans was for the program to quit being the laughing stock of the collegiate basketball world.

Westdawg
11-07-2013, 11:02 AM
You're probably thinking of Marcanvis Hymon. Forgot about him. Offers from us, OM, Ark, Mizz, UMASS, and a few others. I like him alot.

what school in Memphis....because there are certain schools and coaches in that town that are worse than the crap you deal with concerning AAU coaches. as a matter of fact, thats what is partly the problem with some of the basketball players in that town. Their high school basketball coaches are also their AAU coaches. talk about a major issue. the other issue is some of those coaches will not allow colleges talk to those kids unless they go through them. and i am not talking about just letter mail. Some of those coaches actually will buy a trace phone, and give the number to colleges, telling them that the number is the kid. they will then control the messages by letting the player use it and the coach keeps tabs on communication. I mean RIDICULOUS

PMDawg
11-07-2013, 12:19 PM

----------

Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. We were already winning every year. I'm afraid our basketball program may fade as quickly as the Southern Miss football program. Fan interest seems to be at a long time low based on attendance last year and current season ticket sales.[/QUOTE]

Where are these people coming from? Geez.

601Dawg
11-07-2013, 12:39 PM
----------

Where are these people coming from? Geez.[/QUOTE]

Very good analagy, If we dont start getting better recruits signed we will be at the bottom end of the SEC

Ole Miss has already passed us in basketball after one year and they will use last season's succes to continue to keep us down unless we start winning.

Ray needs to land some 4 star talent who can play and not worry about good hard working players. Those are the type that got Jeff Lebo, Buzz Peterson, Rod Barnes and coaches like that FIRED.

Don't matter how good your X's and O's are you gotta have some Jimmy's and Joes

Coach34
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM

----------

Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. .[/QUOTE]

No- Stands was fired because we were becoming a national embarassment. Not wins and losses

MadDawg
11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
----------

Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. .

No- Stands was fired because we were becoming a national embarassment. Not wins and losses

Stans was fired because he rolled the dice on All-World Fat Albert and got burned. One day, if he lasts that long, Ray will figure out that formula too.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I hope we land Joniah White. He AVERAGED 10 blocks a game last year. 10!!

engie
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Bundy pls.

Tell Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Greg Marshall, and 100 other coaches that you can't win big without elite talent... And the other 45+ teams in the tournament that won't have a single NBA drafted player on their roster...

All that 4 and 5* talent took us deep in the tournament under Stans**. Look on the bright side, our sweet 16 impotence streak isn't the longest in the SEC(yet)

601Dawg
11-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I hope we land Joniah White. He AVERAGED 10 blocks a game last year. 10!!

He is committied to and about to sign with Louisiana Tech next week.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
He is committied to and about to sign with Louisiana Tech next week.

Wtf?! Come on Ray! That is disappointing

C222
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Wtf?! Come on Ray! That is disappointing

I don't think this staff pursued him that hard. William Lee is about the only one left of the board that we are going after in the 2014 class. I believe we are 3rd behind Georgia and SMU.

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
That is disappointing. He could have been like Swat. Oh well...

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't think this staff pursued him that hard. William Lee is about the only one left of the board that we are going after in the 2014 class. I believe we are 3rd behind Georgia and SMU.

We must have a completely average non-qualifying Juco coveted instead. Watch White break Varnado's record.

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Was thinking that. Looks like Kenny Paul Geno >>>>> Travis Daniels now. SMH. I think recruiting will bury Ray.

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Also to add, KPG was a lifelong Bulldog fan and we don't offer him because we took a chance on a JUCO kid that couldn't make it out of JUCO. Seems stupid to me. If I am not mistaken, only one player of his 2013 class is even eligible to play. Is that right?

maroonmania
11-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Also to add, KPG was a lifelong Bulldog fan and we don't offer him because we took a chance on a JUCO kid that couldn't make it out of JUCO. Seems stupid to me. If I am not mistaken, only one player of his 2013 class is even eligible to play. Is that right?

The really sad part was, as far as I could tell, nobody else of note really pursued Travis Daniels anyway. Was just sort of adding insult to injury that he didn't even qualify.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Yup IJ Ready. Can you link KPG's bio please? Ray let the Juco All-American Jarekious Bradley who played at EMCC sign with Southwest Missouri State too. He signs Borchert from the same school but wants nothing to do with an All-American. Excuse me while I go puke.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/southeast-missouri-state-adds-juco-all-american-jarekious-bradley/

Bothrops
11-07-2013, 04:46 PM

----------

Perhaps you can win without superstars, but I thought the idea in firing Stan's was to win big. We were already winning every year. I'm afraid our basketball program may fade as quickly as the Southern Miss football program. Fan interest seems to be at a long time low based on attendance last year and current season ticket sales.[/QUOTE]

Southern Miss football?..not a chance. That is an almost hopeless conundrum, and very very unusual in the world of sports. Ray appears to be a great teacher and motivator; however I agree that we need to land a big time recruit/star type player to help jumpstart some excitement and interest in the program.

C222
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
The really sad part was, as far as I could tell, nobody else of note really pursued Travis Daniels anyway. Was just sort of adding insult to injury that he didn't even qualify.

Other offers were Wichita St, Western Kentucky, and USM.

Coach34
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Two of those have been to the Sweet 16 alot more recently than we have

engie
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Yup IJ Ready. Can you link KPG's bio please? Ray let the Juco All-American Jarekious Bradley who played at EMCC sign with Southwest Missouri State too. He signs Borchert from the same school but wants nothing to do with an All-American. Excuse me while I go puke.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/southeast-missouri-state-adds-juco-all-american-jarekious-bradley/

For the 12 thousandth time, Bradley was ineligible to play in the SEC per the Masoli Rule...

smootness
11-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Uh...perhaps Borchert was a better fit for the next level than Bradley? Considering that Borchert is probably our best player and the best offer Bradley had was SWMS, I'll give Ray the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I will never understand the mentality of fans who criticize coaches for not offering certain recruits when we have no idea yet which recruit will be better in the long run.

Kenny Paul Geno? Maybe he just wasn't good enough for what Ray wants to do. Maybe he thought it was better to take a chance on Daniels than commit 4 years to KPG. Let's at least wait to see what Geno becomes before we jump on Ray for not offering the guy. Just because he wanted to play at State and the basketball talent factory that is UGA offered doesn't mean we should have offered, too.

smootness
11-07-2013, 05:16 PM
For the 12 thousandth time, Bradley was ineligible to play in the SEC per the Masoli Rule...

Well, and there you go. Phenomenal.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 05:23 PM

I thought that was for transferring seniors? Bradley is listed as a junior.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56380/jarekious-bradley

engie
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I thought that was for transferring seniors? Bradley is listed as a junior.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56380/jarekious-bradley

I dunno what he's listed as -- but I'm telling you that he was ineligible to play in the SEC. That's why he wasn't pursued by a single SEC team -- when he otherwise would have been able to name his team...

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I dunno what he's listed as -- but I'm telling you that he was ineligible to play in the SEC. That's why he wasn't pursued by a single SEC team -- when he otherwise would have been able to name his team...

This makes zero sense. The Masoli rule is put in place for players that have graduated and have one season of eligibility left to eliminate "free agency" of players. Plus Masoli had been kicked off the Oregon team so what it also meant to do was stop players from getting out of their punishment from their previous school. Why was Antonio Barton allowed to transfer to Tennessee then and is now their starting PG immediately after starting for most of 3 years at Memphis? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22307025/memphis-transfer-antonio-barton-headed-to-tennessee

engie
11-07-2013, 05:51 PM
This makes zero sense. The Masoli rule is put in place for players that have graduated and have one season of eligibility left to eliminate "free agency" of players. Plus Masoli had been kicked off the Oregon team so what it also meant to do was stop players from getting out of their punishment from their previous school. Why was Antonio Barton allowed to transfer to Tennessee then and is now their starting PG immediately after starting for most of 3 years at Memphis? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22307025/memphis-transfer-antonio-barton-headed-to-tennessee

A year worth of determination to be hardheaded as hell... I guess I shouldn't expect you to EVER change your tune on this.

Paul Jones was the one that initially reported that he was ineligible to sign in the SEC. I relayed that to you at the time and have at least 2 more times since.

Please explain to me why a national JUCO scoring champion didn't have a single SEC offer or even any SEC interest from within the heart of SEC country? He signed with Arky in highschool but didn't qualify. So, what gives? You are just choosing to ignore the obvious...again...

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 05:56 PM
A year worth of determination to be hardheaded as hell... I guess I shouldn't expect you to EVER change your tune on this.

Paul Jones was the one that initially reported that he was ineligible to sign in the SEC. I relayed that to you at the time and have at least 2 more times since.

Please explain to me why a national JUCO scoring champion didn't have a single SEC offer or even any SEC interest from within the heart of SEC country? He signed with Arky in highschool but didn't qualify. So, what gives? You are just choosing to ignore the obvious...again...

Haha please link where you told me this before. It's always just been speculation with Bradley. He said she said shit. He said Bradley is no good and then everyone just agrees with it. Fact is Bradley can play in the SEC if we had a set of nuts. But we don't. We run with our tails tucked because we are so afraid to attempt anything outside the box.
It sounds to me like MSU didn't even try with Bradley because once again our very own compliance department AND athletic department are so ****ing scared of the NCAA they won't even allow the recruitment of a player that could be in question. We are an SEC team on the logo but that doesn't mean we hired SEC quality staff to run our school.

C222
11-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Two of those have been to the Sweet 16 alot more recently than we have

Yep.

KPG's offer list besides UGA: Radford, Mercer, Jackson St, MTSU, Lamar

maroonmania
11-07-2013, 06:32 PM

I really wonder how many of even those offers were "committable" as we say. His JUCO numbers were VERY weak for a guy transferring to play in Div. 1.

Dog316
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
The idea in firing Stans was for the program to quit being the laughing stock of the collegiate basketball world.

Well, that's not how I remember it. You, however, are obviously absolutely certain about how it went down. But your recollection, does not make it so.

Coach34
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Well, that's not how I remember it. You, however, are obviously absolutely certain about how it went down. But your recollection, does not make it so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l1vNZSSiuw

Sporting News called us the biggest cluster**** in college basketball

Talking heads harped about the lack of discipline in the program

That's how people saw our program and it was becoming ridiculous and that could not be allowed to continue

engie
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Haha please link where you told me this before. It's always just been speculation with Bradley. He said she said shit. He said Bradley is no good and then everyone just agrees with it. Fact is Bradley can play in the SEC if we had a set of nuts. But we don't. We run with our tails tucked because we are so afraid to attempt anything outside the box.
It sounds to me like MSU didn't even try with Bradley because once again our very own compliance department AND athletic department are so ****ing scared of the NCAA they won't even allow the recruitment of a player that could be in question. We are an SEC team on the logo but that doesn't mean we hired SEC quality staff to run our school.

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?104862-Basketball-recruiting

Give it up. He was NOT eligible to play in the SEC. If you can't see that a kid from Memphis, that signed with an SEC school out of highschool, that leads the nation in scoring in JUCO, IN MS -- and doesn't get a single SEC offer -- this shit should be self-explanatory.

And you went on some diatribe about our AD and Compliance? What about the other 13 ADs and Compliance Depts? Why didn't they bother recruiting him?

smootness
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
The funny thing about that clip is that they're discussing whether or not Sidney would be allowed to stay with the program...not only did he stay, but Bailey was the one actually kicked off the team.

There's no doubt it was two-fold as to why Stans had to go. Not only had the program become an embarrassment and there seemed to be no discipline, but the wins also stopped, at least to the level they had been coming in. When a roster of Arnett Moultrie, Dee Bost, Rodney Hood, Renardo Sidney, Brian Bryant, Jalen Steele, and Deville Smith doesn't make the tournament, loses to Akron (as well as Arkansas, Auburn, and twice to UGA), and loses 5 straight in conference play...and there are issues that embarrass the program in addition to that, it's time for a change.

I understand if people were disappointed that they had never heard of the guy we hired; and I understand if people are upset that we fell off like we did. But how can anyone not see that a change had to be made? I was a massive Stans supporter...and it became blatantly obvious by his last year that Stans absolutely had to go.

I don't get why some fans keep arguing things like, 'We were always competitive under Stans, so there's no reason to think he wouldn't have continued to make us competitive'. Well, yes, there is. We weren't as competitive his last few years as we had been before, and he wasn't ever going to have more talent than was on that 2011-2012 team. If he couldn't make the Tourney with them, it's reasonable to conclude that his days of routinely making the Tourney were gone.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 01:13 PM
http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?104862-Basketball-recruiting

Give it up. He was NOT eligible to play in the SEC. If you can't see that a kid from Memphis, that signed with an SEC school out of highschool, that leads the nation in scoring in JUCO, IN MS -- and doesn't get a single SEC offer -- this shit should be self-explanatory.

And you went on some diatribe about our AD and Compliance? What about the other 13 ADs and Compliance Depts? Why didn't they bother recruiting him?

What does that link prove? Nothing other than you said the Masoli rule to me but we both know that isn't true. He is a junior so it can't be that rule. I'm telling you one guy said he's bad goods and everyone else just believed it and went with it because why else would such a stud be playing at EMCC? Bradley's first game with SEMS he scored 22 and had 12 boards! Guys like this are how we close the gap. I want real proof that he's not allowed to play in the SEC and nobody will be able to provide that because it isn't true.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
What does that link prove? Nothing other than you said the Masoli rule to me but we both know that isn't true. He is a junior so it can't be that rule. I'm telling you one guy said he's bad goods and everyone else just believed it and went with it because why else would such a stud be playing at EMCC? Bradley's first game with SEMS he scored 22 and had 12 boards! Guys like this are how we close the gap. I want real proof that he's not allowed to play in the SEC and nobody will be able to provide that because it isn't true.

What, do you expect someone to produce his transcript or something?

Thick
11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm with engie on this. He's a stud, but no SEC offers. Bailey would be an impact player for half a dozen or more SEC teams, but yet no offers!! There's a rat in the woodpile!

engie
11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm with engie on this. He's a stud, but no SEC offers. Bailey would be an impact player for half a dozen or more SEC teams, but yet no offers!! There's a rat in the woodpile!

Bingo.

He's just being hardheaded over this. I have explained it to him more than the once I linked. You don't have all 14 teams pass on a JUCO scoring champion and All-American over "character concerns". That should be obvious as hell in Oxford right now. So, there's OBVIOUSLY more to the story...

It's either an issue with the Masoli Rule(I'm not at all sure the he's CORRECTLY listed as a JR) -- or he never got a few JUCO credits necessary to play in the SEC(which has happened alot lately with MS JUCO football guys going to play in the Big12 because it allowed them to enroll a semester earlier).

Bradley was a highschool senior in 09-10. http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jarekious-bradley/h0KmKfTpEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I am being hardheaded for good reason. I want to understand why Marshall Henderson can play for Ole Miss but Bradley can't play for MSU? We would really benefit from having him. NIT this year with him. I'll try to drop it but I'm just frustrated as hell when a guy that's 30 minutes from MSU is getting 22 & 12 in his 1st game. What is most frustrating to me is that we signed Travis Daniels, Quantel Denson and Fallou Ndoye and not a single one of them will play for MSU this year!

smootness
11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Paul Jones' initial explanation didn't have anything to do with the Masoli Rule. He said he was ineligible to sign with an SEC school because he only had 3 semesters of school left. I'm not totally sure what rules that falls under, but I did quickly scan the SEC's transfer regulations.

It says that for anyone who does not qualify fully out of HS (Bradley fits here), if they initially enroll in a two-year school (Bradley fits), they must attend the school that gave them the two-year degree as a full-time student for the previous 3 semesters or 4 quarters prior to graduation.

He only played at EMCC for one year, so this may be the thing that's keeping him from an SEC school.

For Dawg61, you can keep fighting this until you get a firm explanation, that's fine, but the facts are pretty simple. He seems to have a lot of talent, and nobody else in the SEC (and presumably in any other BCS league) offered him a scholarship. Getting on Ray for not offering him, after knowing that and knowing that there are at least rumors he couldn't sign with the SEC, is insane.

At least wait until you get an answer one way or another before continuing to use this as a negative against Ray.

He even initially committed to WKU this year, then backed out and at the last minute signed with SEMO. There's at least something weird going on there.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Paul Jones' initial explanation didn't have anything to do with the Masoli Rule. He said he was ineligible to sign with an SEC school because he only had 3 semesters of school left. I'm not totally sure what rules that falls under, but I did quickly scan the SEC's transfer regulations.

It says that for anyone who does not qualify fully out of HS (Bradley fits here), if they initially enroll in a two-year school (Bradley fits), they must attend the school that gave them the two-year degree as a full-time student for the previous 3 semesters or 4 quarters prior to graduation.

He only played at EMCC for one year, so this may be the thing that's keeping him from an SEC school.

For Dawg61, you can keep fighting this until you get a firm explanation, that's fine, but the facts are pretty simple. He seems to have a lot of talent, and nobody else in the SEC (and presumably in any other BCS league) offered him a scholarship. Getting on Ray for not offering him, after knowing that and knowing that there are at least rumors he couldn't sign with the SEC, is insane.

At least wait until you get an answer one way or another before continuing to use this as a negative against Ray.

He even initially committed to WKU this year, then backed out and at the last minute signed with SEMO. There's at least something weird going on there.

Thank you that's what I needed so I'll stop asking. I just didn't want us passing on an elite talent because of he said she said shit and if we had I wanted it known that's why we passed on him.

engie
11-11-2013, 02:47 PM
That IS the Masoli Rule exactly like I said here(must have 2 full years of eligibility remaining in order to enroll in an SEC institution). It's the same rule that prevented Tony Conner's brother from playing at Ole Miss.

Exactly.

For God sakes man -- we DID NOT PASS ON THE GUY.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
The Masoli rule has some serious loopholes then. Antonio Barton is playing for Tennessee this year. He played and started for Memphis for the last three years, graduated and is now using his last year of eligibility with Tennessee. He was eligible right way to play for the Vols. He only had one year left of eligibility. Why is Barton allowed to play but not Bradley? There's some tweaking that needs to be done with this rule. Either let all of them play or none of them play. What's good for Tennessee should be good for MSU but it's not right now.

Coach34
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Juco transfers and graduates have different rules

engie
11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
My understanding of the Masoli Rule is that it should have prevented him from being able to transfer into Tennessee and play immediately. Not at all sure how he got around it...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/sec_sends_wrong_message_with_g.html

smootness
11-11-2013, 03:27 PM
FWIW, I did a little bit of searching and found an article last year in which the SEC clarified their policy (it was in reference to Alex Oriakhi looking at SEC schools after deciding to transfer from UConn); and the SEC rep said that basically it is a rule that they can't automatically be eligible but that a school can still request a waiver from the league to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

So it seems as though this is the SEC's way of making it look like they're addressing the problem while still leaving the door open.

My assumption would be that given everything Bradley has been through, schools felt that a) the SEC was likely to not approve the waiver, and b) it wasn't worth the trouble.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mrsec.com/2012/03/sec-clarifies-policy-on-oriakhi-type-transfers/

Obviously they did allow Oriakhi to transfer to Missouri, and my guess would be that they felt it would help the league.

Dawg61
11-11-2013, 03:35 PM
FWIW, I did a little bit of searching and found an article last year in which the SEC clarified their policy (it was in reference to Alex Oriakhi looking at SEC schools after deciding to transfer from UConn); and the SEC rep said that basically it is a rule that they can't automatically be eligible but that a school can still request a waiver from the league to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

So it seems as though this is the SEC's way of making it look like they're addressing the problem while still leaving the door open.

My assumption would be that given everything Bradley has been through, schools felt that a) the SEC was likely to not approve the waiver, and b) it wasn't worth the trouble.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mrsec.com/2012/03/sec-clarifies-policy-on-oriakhi-type-transfers/

Obviously they did allow Oriakhi to transfer to Missouri, and my guess would be that they felt it would help the league.

Ahhhh so THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!! The SEC teams including us didn't think Bradley was a good enough player to bother with doing the paperwork to get him into the SEC. See Engie IT IS A COMPLIANCE AND AD PROBLEM!!

engie
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Ahhhh so THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!! The SEC teams including us didn't think Bradley was a good enough player to bother with doing the paperwork to get him into the SEC. See Engie IT IS A COMPLIANCE AND AD PROBLEM!!

Well -- you should bitch at the other 13 schools about it then that ALL agreed with our assessment...

And you can't seriously still be arguing that a JUCO transfer with 3 semesters left to play is the same thing as a GRADUATE transfer...

smootness
11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
You can't say that; it isn't just paperwork. The SEC has to make a ruling; considering several schools went after Oriakhi and none went after Bradley, I would assume the schools knew Bradley wouldn't be cleared by the league.

Maybe our athletic department did some work before even going after him to gauge how the league would respond, and we decided it wasn't worth our time?

601Dawg
11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Engie sooner or later you are going to admit that Rick Ray's recruiting is worse than Mullen's

engie
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Engie sooner or later you are going to admit that Rick Ray's recruiting is worse than Mullen's

I'm not taking up for Ray's recruiting. Class #1 wasn't satisfactory.

The Bradley example is just a f'ing terrible one.

Do I need to start linking all of your Cohen thoughts Bundy? Because it's f'n hilarious at that 180 you've pulled -- and Ray inherited an arguably worse situation...

Coach34
11-11-2013, 04:10 PM

He hasnt signed but 1 class. He is about to begin the early period of class #2

I remember some of Stands first pick-ups like Johnnie Walker and Erick Stevens when he joined the staff- or the crap we were left with after the 1996 run.