PDA

View Full Version : The TBuck Legacy

1bigdawg
05-23-2020, 11:30 AM
He recruited two 4 star players during his time at MSU. They both just transferred.

I know that coaches have to build bonds with players, but it also has to be about MSU and your teammates, too.

To me, Danzler's text is evidence that wasn't the type of coach TBuck was.

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 11:38 AM
He recruited two 4 star players during his time at MSU. They both just transferred.

I know that coaches have to build bonds with players, but it also has to be about MSU and your teammates, too.

To me, Danzler's text is evidence that wasn't the type of coach TBuck was.

JJ was a 4*. Who else? Lovett was a 3. Reese was a 3.

trojandawg
05-23-2020, 11:40 AM
How many players he actually recruit in put in the league? I feel like Hughes has had more. Wasn't Hughes coaching Banks when he won Thorpe award? Or was that Townsend?

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 11:44 AM
How many players he actually recruit in put in the league? I feel like Hughes has had more. Wasn't Hughes coaching Banks when he won Thorpe award? Or was that Townsend?

Townsend. Outside of 2018 I've always thought Townsend was better CB coach than TBuck.

hailstate17
05-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Townsend. Outside of 2018 I've always thought Townsend was better CB coach than TBuck.

2018 we had Simmons and Sweat getting to the QB and a safety that receivers feared. It made every other position group look better than they really were.

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 12:10 PM
2018 we had Simmons and Sweat getting to the QB and a safety that receivers feared. It made every other position group look better than they really were.

I agree. But corners did play pretty well that year. Especially against Bama. But I do attribute that to Shoop a good bit also. Abrams and Willie with deep front 4 made that D what it was tho.

Bobby Ricigliano
05-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Danzler?s text...please tell me more about this or point me in the right direction.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2020, 12:21 PM
We're paying the price for changing coaches 3 times in 3 years.

The Cannizzaro and Moorhead hires were simply inexcusable by Cohen.

Hard to fathom that Moorhead could sow so much cancer into a program in such a short amount of time.

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Hard to fathom that Moorhead could sow so much cancer into a program in such a short amount of time.

I agree Gun. Lot of coaching turnover and coaches looking out for themselves too. When you a student and see the coaches doing the bizness side more than any loyalty side ... what do you expect from players. Especially now since babysharks are all-in with $$$ once again. No doubt in my mind that is what swayed JJ.

Really I think we're back to Freeze vs Mullen part II. Kiffin good analogy to Freeze, Leach good one for Mullen. Recruiting fixing to revert back to that era too from 2012 thru about '14 or so.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2020, 12:32 PM
I agree Gun. Lot of coaching turnover and coaches looking out for themselves too. When you a student and see the coaches doing the bizness side more than any loyalty side ... what do you expect from players. Especially now since babysharks are all-in with $$$ once again. No doubt in my mind that is what swayed JJ.

Really I think we're back to Freeze vs Mullen part II. Kiffin good analogy to Freeze, Leach good one for Mullen. Recruiting fixing to revert back to that era too from 2012 thru about '14 or so.

I don't think this has a ton to do with Kiffin honestly.

I think this a rare combo of Moorhead culture, Ole Miss boosters, coaching change, a diva, and a kid having friends at OM

Kiffin isn't Freeze and won't be emboldened to cheat like this. Freeze and Kiffin's personalities aren't similar.

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 12:34 PM
I don't think this has a ton to do with Kiffin honestly.

I think this a rare combo of Moorhead culture, Ole Miss boosters, coaching change, a diva, and a kid having friends at OM

Kiffin isn't Freeze and won't be emboldened to cheat like this. Freeze and Kiffin's personalities aren't similar.

I'll buy that about Kiffin not being quite the snake Freeze was but ... I do think he'll look the other way while boosters are doing it. And they back at it now.

ETA: Kiffin will do it more like Saban does this time around.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2020, 12:37 PM
I'll buy that about Kiffin not being quite the snake Freeze was but ... I do think he'll look the other way while boosters are doing it. And they back at it now.

Maybe, but I don't think Kiffin will directly participate and direct like Freeze did.

Plus, Kiffin isn't a hypocrite that's going to try and sell something he's not.

Maroonthirteen
05-23-2020, 12:50 PM
I agree. But corners did play pretty well that year. Especially against Bama. But I do attribute that to Shoop a good bit also. Abrams and Willie with deep front 4 made that D what it was tho.

Bama had better athletes and we held our own. That was coaching.

trojandawg
05-23-2020, 12:54 PM
Bama had better athletes and we held our own. That was coaching.

Um same coaches this year and huge drop off. That was the most talented defense we ever had.

1bigdawg
05-23-2020, 12:57 PM
JJ was a 4*. Who else? Lovett was a 3. Reese was a 3.

I believe Reese was a 4 star at one point. TBuck's recruiter rep started when we got him after Florida said they did not have room.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-23-2020, 02:23 PM
Did yall watch the MCB Against UL? That was most wide open I have seen receivers in years...if he was any good Mullen would have taken him to Florida.

Maroonthirteen
05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Um same coaches this year and huge drop off. That was the most talented defense we ever had.

Not even close to the most talented. Marginal talent and piss poor attitude all year.

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Not even close to the most talented. Marginal talent and piss poor attitude all year.

He's talking about 2018.

R2Dawg
05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

I'm not sure, but I think yall are talking about different years? 18 was one of the most talented D years. Talent at every level with 3 first round draft picks.

Lance Harbor
05-23-2020, 02:58 PM
Yes, this please.

Danzler?s text...please tell me more about this or point me in the right direction.

HoopsDawg
05-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Yes, this please.

Cam said, "you see what happens when you let a GREAT DB coach go?" .

Jarian's reply, "!!!! You said something then Brudda".

MedDawg
05-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Disagree with point #2. Both were fine hires. No way Cohen could have predicted either coach's problems. The Moorhead hire was seen nationally as a good hire.

What a good AD has to do is take care of the problems, and Cohen did VERY quickly. Fired Cann three games into a season (after making a Super Regional the year before) and fired Moorhead after just two seasons (and making bowl games in both). Quick decision making like that hasn't happened at State before (or at least for decades). Our previous ADs tended to linger and linger to give coaches 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Croom got 5 seasons. Even Rick Ray got 3.

Then Cohen went and hired two better coaches. Plus he has hired quality coaches in other sports (volleyball, softball, women's basketball).

I agree with your points #1 and #3.

ShotgunDawg
05-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Disagree with point #2. Both were fine hires. No way Cohen could have predicted either coach's problems. The Moorhead hire was seen nationally as a good hire.

What a good AD has to do is take care of the problems, and Cohen did VERY quickly. Fired Cann three games into a season (after making a Super Regional the year before) and fired Moorhead after just two seasons (and making bowl games in both). Quick decision making like that hasn't happened at State before (or at least for decades). Our previous ADs tended to linger and linger to give coaches 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Croom got 5 seasons. Even Rick Ray got 3.

Then Cohen went and hired two better coaches. Plus he has hired quality coaches in other sports (volleyball, softball, women's basketball).

I agree with your points #1 and #3.

You don't know the story.

Cohen didn't do his homework on Canny. Mainieri had problems with Canny when he was at LSU that would've prevented Cohen from hiring him, but Cohen never called Mainieri.

There were a bunch of red flags that Cohen didn't know about because he had a bad relationship with Paul

I will give Cohen credit for seeing his mistakes & taking immediate action though. That's certainly a strong suite of him & I'll also say that the Lemon & Leach hires are of far greater quality than Canny & Moorhead. I think Cohen thought he knew what a great coach was before coming an AD, but has quickly been humbled & realized that it's probably best to not try & outsmart the room.

He's certainly gotten better in that regard. Our baseball program is strong enough to sustain the Canny hire, but I'm ready for our football program to have some stability again. Joe was awful.

Todd4State
05-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Cohen didn't do his homework on Canny. Mainieri had problems with Canny when he was at LSU that would've prevented Cohen from hiring him, but Cohen never called Mainieri.

There were a bunch of red flags that Cohen didn't know about because he had a bad relationship with Paul

I will give Cohen credit for seeing his mistakes & taking immediate action though. That's certainly a strong suite of him & I'll also say that the Lemon & Leach hires are of far greater quality than Canny & Moorhead. I think Cohen thought he knew what a great coach was before coming an AD, but has quickly been humbled & realized that it's probably best to not try & outsmart the room.

He's certainly gotten better in that regard. Our baseball program is strong enough to sustain the Canny hire, but I'm ready for our football program to have some stability again. Joe was awful.

There was a reason why Tulane didn't hire Cannizzaro I'll leave it at that.

MedDawg
05-23-2020, 05:56 PM

All good points. I was a big fan of Joe because I"m also a Penn State grad/fan. I was excited when we hired him and was one of the last to finally want him gone (he did have a tougher SOS than Mullen did). Now I see how undisciplined the team became in just two years. It wasn't even a "players getting arrested in town" kind of thing. The team played sloppy and several good players (even upperclassmen who flourished under Mullen) became overweight and slower.

Now that Leach is installing discipline, there will be players who will leave. Interesting, because I didn't previously know that about Leach, but he had a lot of players leave when he took over at TT and WSU.

I had doubts when Leach let go some of our 'treasured' assistants, even though that's common with new coaches anywhere. Now I'm GLAD that Leach let those coaches go and brought his people with him from Washington State. I'm excited for our football future under Leach (and Arnett).

dawgday166
05-23-2020, 06:13 PM
All good points. I was a big fan of Joe because I"m also a Penn State grad/fan. I was excited when we hired him and was one of the last to finally want him gone (he did have a tougher SOS than Mullen did). Now I see how undisciplined the team became in just two years. It wasn't even a "players getting arrested in town" kind of thing. The team played sloppy and several good players (even upperclassmen who flourished under Mullen) became overweight and slower.

Now that Leach is installing discipline, there will be players who will leave. Interesting, because I didn't previously know that about Leach, but he had a lot of players leave when he took over at TT and WSU.

I had doubts when Leach let go some of our 'treasured' assistants, even though that's common with new coaches anywhere. Now I'm GLAD that Leach let those coaches go and brought his people with him from Washington State. I'm excited for our football future under Leach (and Arnett).

Jomo had weak ass SOS compared to Mullen's 11 thru 15 and 2017 years. LSU and Bama this year and that's about it. And Bama now ain't near Bama then. The West was way tougher 1 the 7 when Mullen was here. And in 2017 we played Ga in East.

Todd4State
05-23-2020, 06:19 PM

I'm ready for Leach to get his players in too. Looks like most of the problems are purged or declared for the NFL draft last year.

FoggyBottom
05-24-2020, 06:53 AM
There's a reason prior staffs did not want commits or prospective recruits visiting Oxford. Impossible to keep them out during a lock down but when that ends . . . . . . .

Turfdawg67
05-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Jomo had weak ass SOS compared to Mullen's 11 thru 15 and 2017 years. LSU and Bama this year and that's about it. And Bama now ain't near Bama then. The West was way tougher 1 the 7 when Mullen was here. And in 2017 we played Ga in East.

"Played Ga" is being kind. We showed up, I'll give you that. That was an embarrassing ass kicking, the kind Kirby routinely gives Mullen.

shrimp
05-24-2020, 08:50 AM
Yes, this please.

It was a tweet, not a text. He also tweeted some stuff about playing for a coach, not a school.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 09:21 AM
There's a reason prior staffs did not want commits or prospective recruits visiting Oxford. Impossible to keep them out during a lock down but when that ends . . . . . . .

Rebel alert

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2020, 09:52 AM
Jones is blaming the Leach tweet now. Story will change again in a week. He missed the coddling and the attention. Now he can get mossed on everyday by Mingo in practice like he did at NWR

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Jones is blaming the Leach tweet now. Story will change again in a week. He missed the coddling and the attention. Now he can get mossed on everyday by Mingo in practice like he did at NWR

I'm not sure Mingo is good enough to do that

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2020, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure Mingo is good enough to do that
Yeah..he is. Biggest miss we have had since Cam. He will be in the NFL

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Yeah..he is. Biggest miss we have had since Cam. He will be in the NFL

Seeing him on the field last year in the Egg Bowl, I didn't see that type of ability or athleticism.

I may be wrong, but he's doesn't look like that type of player

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Seeing him on the field last year in the Egg Bowl, I didn't see that type of ability or athleticism.

I may be wrong, but he's doesn't look like that type of player

Maybe bc they have a QB who can?t throw? State, OM, UF, UGA all saw it in him. He punked JJ on a regular basis just like he punked Bamas DBs last year

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Maybe bc they have a QB who can?t throw? State, OM, UF, UGA all saw it in him. He punked JJ on a regular basis just like he punked Bamas DBs last year

Has nothing to do with the QB. Has to do watching him move & run. He doesn't look like a star to me. Just looks like another SEC WR.

That's what I saw. Again, may be wrong but I didn't see the burst, twitch, & speed to be a star.

BuckyIsAB****
05-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Has nothing to do with the QB. Has to do watching him move & run. He doesn't look like a star to me. Just looks like another SEC WR.

That's what I saw. Again, may be wrong but I didn't see the burst, twitch, & speed to be a star.

Rolling my eyes

dawgday166
05-24-2020, 02:16 PM
"Played Ga" is being kind. We showed up, I'll give you that. That was an embarrassing ass kicking, the kind Kirby routinely gives Mullen.

Yea ... won't argue much. Will say tho that was Kirby's best ever Ga team and it was at their place. Plus ... we were still too high from waxing LSU. But yea, we got our butt handed to us.

dawgday166
05-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Rolling my eyes

Yea ... Mingo is gonna be pretty good I think too.

basedog
05-24-2020, 02:30 PM

He was a true Freshman, he will be really good I believe. Saw him in High School, I wish we had him.

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 03:44 PM
He was a true Freshman, he will be really good I believe. Saw him in High School, I wish we had him.

I wish we had a version of him that was all-in on the team.

How will he be really good with a quitter mentality? How is that going to happen?

basedog
05-24-2020, 04:35 PM
I wish we had a version of him that was all-in on the team.

How will he be really good with a quitter mentality? How is that going to happen?

Wait minute, maybe we aren’t thinking of the same player. I’m talking about Mingo? I think u are questioning Jones?

ShotgunDawg
05-24-2020, 05:10 PM
Wait minute, maybe we aren’t thinking of the same player. I’m talking about Mingo? I think u are questioning Jones?

Sorry I got confused

dawgday166
05-24-2020, 05:11 PM
Sorry I got confused

Just now??? ***