PDA

View Full Version : Ready to be Fired?

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
I had this conversation with my dad during the game, and now a college teacher of mine who is a big alumnus from State. They both said they felt like watching the game, and this year since the LSU game, that Mullen appears almost ready to be fired. I agreed in some ways while in others I find it hard to believe any coach in the SEC would just lay down and die mid season. Just wondering how you guys felt about that or is it just the people I talk to ha

quickstrike2
11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't think he is ready to be fired. I do think Mullen may have a question deep down about whether he has what it takes or not.

preachermatt83
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
I believe that Dan wants to be the offensive coordinator at Ohio state. That's just my opinion.

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I believe that Dan wants to be the offensive coordinator at Ohio state. That's just my opinion.

Never thought of that until now but you could be 100 percent right. Just the fact that this is even being said about him from loyal fans is enough for me to want him gone

Ronny
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
..is ready to be fired but I do think he is aware he is doing a very poor job of coaching this year & that is about to lead to some unintended consequences.

I will say if we get our ass beat in the Egg Bowl (which is a very real possibilty) Mullen is, for all intents & purposes, finished @ MSU.

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 01:13 PM
..is ready to be fired but I do think he is aware he is doing a very poor job of coaching this year & that is about to lead to some unintended consequences.

I will say if we get our ass beat in the Egg Bowl (which is a very real possibilty) Mullen is, for all intents & purposes, finished @ MSU.
I don't genuinely hate Mullen while some of my posts may lead yall to believe that but im behind state ill be pulling for them Saturday to get the upset. I want Mullen to win 6 games and keep his job, not for Mullen but for us. If he wins 6 he should stay, if we only win 6 next year its underachieving like hes done last year and this year. Just fed up with seein the same ole shit every week and hearing the same shit who defend him stubbornly for as far as I can see now, for absolutely NO REASON. Its bowl or go whether he wants to be fired or not. I think he is ready to go honestly and if he is, we're getting screwed over because of it.

Original48
11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Something's up with Mullen. Not sure what it is. Plus I think he knows he's dug himself a hole with some alumni and high school coaches around the state. Add that to Freeze coming in and having the opposite effect and I'm sure Mullen recognizes he's in a pretty tough spot.

BogeyGolfer
11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I had this conversation with my dad during the game, and now a college teacher of mine who is a big alumnus from State. They both said they felt like watching the game, and this year since the LSU game, that Mullen appears almost ready to be fired. I agreed in some ways while in others I find it hard to believe any coach in the SEC would just lay down and die mid season. Just wondering how you guys felt about that or is it just the people I talk to ha

Come on, man... Mullen does not want to be fired. Like others have said, he didn't forget how to coach in one year. Patience is a virtue, I wonder how many on here will respond when Mullen starts winning again. I can easily see us go on a winning streak starting with Ark and carrying over until next season. Including a bowl game...

starkvegasdawg
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I've never met the man, but I almost think he became a victim of his own ego. I really think that last season he thought he had the team ready to compete on the big stage when we were 7-0 heading into the Alabama game and when they came in and made us their bitch with very little effort I think it just shook him to the core. He realized that what he was thinking was dead wrong and that carried over to the team for the rest of the season. I really think that this year he was ready to put it behind him until OSU rolled up and we could not do one thing offensively and lost that game and it all came back to the surface again. I am almost to the conclusion that the non-chalant way he is handling post game interviews now is showing his level of shock and disbelief. Now I am not saying this is a reason to keep him or fire him - and I could be dead wrong (see first sentence of post) - but whatever happened to him and the team all seems to have started after Alabama bent us over and made us ask for more last season. Almost as if he realized he will never compete for a national title here and just gave up trying.

slickdawg
11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
It could also be the reality of what's happened this year.

Spring:

Two QB's on scholarship. One has to have turf toe surgery and is effectively out until July. The healthy one is a classic drop back passer, he's also a fifth year senior that set a bunch of school records last season. You continue building your offense all around him, he's your guy.

Fall camp:

Both QB's there, one playing catchup because of surgery.

Game 1:

Tyler is moving the ball very well. OSU player with questionable hit on Tyler knocks him out of the game. Insert QB who is still in catch up mode. Oh, and he's not the prototypical drop back passer you've geared your entire offense and season up for.

Since Tyler was out several weeks, Dak has had to learn on the job, and the offense has had to work more on running zone read plays. Despite this, we're putting up 400+ yards per game. We are one play from being 5-3 or 3-5.

quickstrike2
11-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Spring:

Two QB's on scholarship. One has to have turf toe surgery and is effectively out until July. The healthy one is a classic drop back passer, he's also a fifth year senior that set a bunch of school records last season. You continue building your offense all around him, he's your guy.

Fall camp:

Game 1:

Tyler is moving the ball very well. OSU player with questionable hit on Tyler knocks him out of the game. Insert QB who is still in catch up mode. Oh, and he's not the prototypical drop back passer you've geared your entire offense and season up for.

Since Tyler was out several weeks, Dak has had to learn on the job, and the offense has had to work more on running zone read plays. Despite this, we're putting up 400+ yards per game. We are one play from being 5-3 or 3-5.

I want to believe this. I have been all for the getting the right qb in the offense. However, i am starting to wonder if the problem is bigger now. We still arent scoring many points.

RougeDawg
11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Come on, man... Mullen does not want to be fired. Like others have said, he didn't forget how to coach in one year. Patience is a virtue, I wonder how many on here will respond when Mullen starts winning again. I can easily see us go on a winning streak starting with Ark and carrying over until next season. Including a bowl game...

You are correct about him not forgetting how to coach in a year. He didn't coach worth a **** last year and the fraud was exposed in the final 6 games. He and we just the beneficiaries of playing 7 shitty teams to start out and a dumpster fire of Ark in November to mask the fraud. Why is this so difficult to see.

I'm a supporter of Mullen in years one and two. When he had fire and passion. When he would get in a players face. When he would ride refs after a bad call for half a quarter. He does none of this now and his actions along with the team's performance, lead any logical person to see that he doesn't seem to care anymore.

Fader21
11-04-2013, 02:39 PM
I know some of ya'll know my feelings towards Dan. I believe he should be done this year if he loses out or loses 3 of the next 4. But maybe the change came when he became a dad (jmo). I don't know if this took away from his intensity or not.

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
He honestly pisses me off sitting there chewing on his MFING playcard over and over again it pisses me off to just look at it. I think he got complacent because we went 9-4 in 2010, 2011 had a good team that couldn't catch a break and Relf had a mental breakdown after Auburn, I think he is honestly ready to go and im ready to get rid of his ass if he loses 3 of 4 to end the year

hacker
11-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Oh no!!! Dan chews on his play card. What a shitty guy.**

This is the absolute dumbest criticism of Dan Mullen.

fishwater99
11-04-2013, 03:36 PM

Spring:

Fall camp:

Game 1:

If TR was our guy we would have a FB playing in games, but we didn't. He would have put TR back in sooner and he would have played against SC too..

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Oh no!!! Dan chews on his play card. What a shitty guy.**

This is the absolute dumbest criticism of Dan Mullen.

I didn't say it made him a shitty guy, I didn't say he was a shitty guy at all, I met him at football camps in high school but other than that ive never talked to em, he may be a cool guy a good dad but right now he is a shitty football coach

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I mean somebody anybody with a functioning brain that is not a complete moron tell me why he deserves to stay??? Please and don't tell me 3 straight bowl games blah blah blah we should've been a lot better than we were last year but we even underachieved then.

Bamboo
11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Lower case state, pulling for them, ole shit, **

dawgs
11-05-2013, 05:18 PM

i thought we'd right the ship after arkansas last year. then we got curb stomped by ole miss and in the gator bowl. don't know why i'd expect much difference now when i'm seeing a lot of the same problems from last year.

donald igwebuike
11-05-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't think he wants to be fired, but I feel he wants a change of venue.

Jdawg
11-06-2013, 08:06 AM

Don't worry Ronny, he said he would never lose to OM so we don't have to worry about that game.

dickiedawg
11-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I know some of ya'll know my feelings towards Dan. I believe he should be done this year if he loses out or loses 3 of the next 4. But maybe the change came when he became a dad (jmo). I don't know if this took away from his intensity or not.

He became a dad his first year here.

The Croom Diaries
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
But maybe the change came when he became a dad (jmo). I don't know if this took away from his intensity or not.

I hate to say it, but there may be something to that. I became a father in February and I haven't had near the fire towards my business as I did before. Dan is in an unusual situation where he was a young HC and had kids later in life. Most HC have high school, college or older kids and have already adjusted accordingly. To have a HC job with no kids, then have two, it can sort of turn you to mush. I'm sure he'll get it back, but when you're going home googooing over your baby every night it's hard to be as intense as ever. I kinda feel awful saying this, but it may be true.

notsofarawaydawg
11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
He honestly pisses me off sitting there chewing on his MFING playcard over and over again it pisses me off to just look at it. I think he got complacent because we went 9-4 in 2010, 2011 had a good team that couldn't catch a break and Relf had a mental breakdown after Auburn, I think he is honestly ready to go and im ready to get rid of his ass if he loses 3 of 4 to end the year

Just unbelievable that you would even make a comment on a playcard. Shows the dumb **** you are at this point. Reaching for shit to criticize Mullen.

Do we not have a DUMBASS post of the day board?

Barking 13
11-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Just unbelievable that you would even make a comment on a playcard. Shows the dumb **** you are at this point. Reaching for shit to criticize Mullen.

Do we not have a DUMBASS post of the day board?

Him chewing on the playcard reminds us old dawgs of Felker picking grass.. it's a sure sign of things going wrong in a hurry...

blacklistedbully
11-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm on the fence on whether we need to make a change now or not. I don't see us as being the same as last year. There are some similarities, as one would expect.

I am frustrated at some of the play-calling and bone-head mistakes, but I do see improvement over last year, particularly over the last few games. Last year we got bitch-slapped silly by the top teams we played, and looked sluggish in some of our wins. So far this year, we played well enough to beat Auburn & SCar, and played with LSU for the vast majority of the game. That is MUCH better than last year. Yet the Auburn game was another example of Mullen mistakes costing us with poor play-calling.

So it's a mixed bag IMO. Signs of improvement mixed in with some of the same BS that caused us all so much frustration last year. It leaves me confused, as I feel like the overall trend is going up from last year (we are playing competitively vs the big boys), but I'm worried Dan's game-management isn't going to progress enough to get us over the top.

Part of me feels like Hudspeth would be a better fit right now, and I'd hate to lose out on him because another school snags him this year. But the other part realizes we could & should be 6-2 with wins over what is now a #7 AU & #13 SCar. And that would likely have us in the Top 15 right now, singing Dan's praises. Yes, Dan contributed to the AU loss, but we also must accept he put us in position to win that game @ AU. Yes, his play-calling versus SCar seemed bizarre at times, but, again we were in a great position to win if not for the t/o's.

Makes it tough to evaluate, IMO, and hard for me to see how there are so many firmly on either the "fire him" or "keep him" sides of the fence. I guess I want to see how it plays out the rest of the season. For me, we must beat Arky & Ole Miss. Either loss probably puts me in the "fire him" camp. I think I'll also need to see us at least be competitive versus aTm & Bama.

Jdawg
11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Him chewing on the playcard reminds us old dawgs of Felker picking grass.. it's a sure sign of things going wrong in a hurry...

Don't forget Sherrill and his note taking during the games.