PDA

View Full Version : Chillbilly's Mississippi State Helmet Concepts

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:07 PM
Special thanks to Chillbilly for doing this. He completely knocked it out of the park.

These two helmets are better than anything we've ever worn at MSU IMO & I believe the M over S one has national brand potential.

Both of these are clean, sharp, unique, & MSU.

We'd be absolutely nuts to not begin mixing one or both of these. Significantly better than anything we've got.

https://i.imgur.com/yN8k0Nx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rkIIFuU.jpg

Commercecomet24
05-18-2020, 10:10 PM
Oooh i really like those!

ZedFedder
05-18-2020, 10:15 PM
I may be the minority, but I do not like the M over S at all. Now, they State one? FRESH.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:16 PM
I may be the minority, but I do not like the M over S at all. Now, they State one? FRESH.

What don't you like about the M over S one? To me, it's the best MSU helmet I've seen in my life.

Is it your opinion on whether the M over S shouldn't be used in football or that you actually don't think the helmet looks good?

ZedFedder
05-18-2020, 10:20 PM
What don't you like about the M over S one? To me, it's the best MSU helmet I've seen in my life.

Is it your opinion on whether the M over S shouldn't be used in football or that you actually don't think the helmet looks good?

Honestly, a mix of both.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Honestly, a mix of both.

Fair enough

Irondawg
05-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Love the first one - agree best helmet I've ever seen from us.

A while back he actually did a white one with the maroon lettering and it looked pretty good as well.

I don't hate the second one but it doesn't seem as timeless as the first.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:26 PM
it doesn't seem as timeless as the first.

I think this nailed my feeling as well.

I really like the 2nd one as well, but it'll go out of style & we'd need a new one eventually.

The M over S one could literally be our helmet for the next 100 years. We could solve it all right now & be done with the helmet crap

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:31 PM
I'm surprised in the twitter community is so heavily in favor of the State one.

I don't get what's not to like about the M over S. I really don't get it.

HoopsDawg
05-18-2020, 10:40 PM
State one looks great! Not a fan of the other. Leave the MoverS with baseball.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 10:42 PM
State one looks great! Not a fan of the other. Leave the MoverS with baseball.

I simply don't get it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-18-2020, 10:44 PM
Special thanks to Chillbilly for doing this. He completely knocked it out of the park.

These two helmets are better than anything we've ever worn at MSU IMO & I believe the M over S one has national brand potential.

We'd be absolutely nuts to not begin mixing one or both of these. Significantly better than anything we've got.

Both are BAD.ASS.

WinningIsRelentless
05-18-2020, 10:51 PM
I hate the M over S. That is a 1990?s look.

Skydawg1
05-18-2020, 11:03 PM
I hate the M over S. That is a 1990?s look.Why anyone would want to disgrace our proud Baseball logo by putting it on our Football helmet is beyond me.

Gutter Cobreh
05-18-2020, 11:07 PM
I simply don't get it.

You really think that from a distance, the M over S is distinguishable enough? You don't think it would just look like a big white block?

I guess it's sort of a rhetorical question because I know you won't agree. I think the State option is by far the best and is the cleanest!

Kudos to Chillbilly though! Great work!

HailStateSZN19
05-18-2020, 11:08 PM
So is it still “small minded” to like the “STATE” branding idea I threw in that other thread Shotgun? Lol. I’m just busting your balls. But to me, the “STATE” script helmet would instantly be the best helmet we’ve ever had. It’s super clean, looks awesome, and we can brand it really well. Not many, if any other teams use just “STATE” as what they’re called other than what like Michigan State & we’re completely different colors and conferences. When people would see Maroon and White with “STATE”, they’d know it was us. And people in the South/Sourheast would more than likely know exactly who “STATE” was if we branded it more and pushed that more. The “STATE” script jerseys are the sharpest uniforms in baseball and basketball, IMO. Why not add it to football and brand it more across all sports?

Commercecomet24
05-18-2020, 11:11 PM
I've always loved the M over S logo but I'm a baseball guy. To me that M over S is timeless. I wish it was our official logo but as I said I'm a baseball guy so I'm always gonna be partial to that one but that's just my opinion which is about as valuable as top ramen lol.

Skydawg1
05-18-2020, 11:15 PM
I've always loved the M over S logo but I'm a baseball guy. To me that M over S is timeless. I wish it was our official logo but as I said I'm a baseball guy so I'm always gonna be partial to that one but that's just my opinion which is about as valuable as top ramen lol.M over S is the BEST logo in the SEC, in all sports. But it belongs solely to Baseball.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:17 PM
Why anyone would want to disgrace our proud Baseball logo by putting it on our Football helmet is beyond me.

Why on Earth would it disgrace it?

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:19 PM
M over S is the BEST logo in the SEC, in all sports. But it belongs solely to Baseball.

Why?

That makes absolutely no sense

How dumb can we be?

Does the baseball team and football team represent different universities or something?

Makes no sense

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:19 PM
You really think that from a distance, the M over S is distinguishable enough? You don't think it would just look like a big white block?

I guess it's sort of a rhetorical question because I know you won't agree. I think the State option is by far the best and is the cleanest!

Kudos to Chillbilly though! Great work!

I wasn't aware that national TV was "from a distance"

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:20 PM
So is it still “small minded” to like the “STATE” branding idea I threw in that other thread Shotgun? Lol. I’m just busting your balls. But to me, the “STATE” script helmet would instantly be the best helmet we’ve ever had. It’s super clean, looks awesome, and we can brand it really well. Not many, if any other teams use just “STATE” as what they’re called other than what like Michigan State & we’re completely different colors and conferences. When people would see Maroon and White with “STATE”, they’d know it was us. And people in the South/Sourheast would more than likely know exactly who “STATE” was if we branded it more and pushed that more. The “STATE” script jerseys are the sharpest uniforms in baseball and basketball, IMO. Why not add it to football and brand it more across all sports?

The state one looks good. It just isn't as timeless as the M over S and not as easy to brand in clothing and merchandise

Goldendawg
05-18-2020, 11:27 PM
Why do so many people do not like the M-State? Every time someone asks where I graduated, I always reply M-State!**** Seriously, I've disliked the M-State logo from day one and has been forced upon us. I liked the state script and bring the interlocking msu. Leave ms for baseball.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:31 PM
. Leave ms for baseball.

Why?

Skydawg1
05-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Why on Earth would it disgrace it?

Maybe the word "disgrace" was a bit harsh. It's just every 6 months to a year a new thread is created trying to make the M over S THE logo of the university. (by the way, ain't happening as long as a baseball guy is in charge of the entire AD) We should focus our efforts on trying to get the Nike MSJ logo back for football.

Skydawg1
05-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Why?Because it's the Baseball logo.

Goldendawg
05-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Why?

The first consistent winning in my life was during the Tyler years, "MS on helmets but not M over S," followed by the Jackie are the best helmets and uniforms we ever had. I've always liked the interlocking msu for football helmets and the M over S for baseball. Baseball has tradition, which I would like to be built for football. God forgive us for the Russell Athletics uniforms! Real bulldogs say no to white helmets unless the opposition is wearing dark colored helmets.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:46 PM
Because it's the Baseball logo.

It represents the same university. Having separate logos for different sports is madness and does nothing to help Mississippi State

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2020, 11:48 PM
The first consistent winning in my life was during the Tyler years, "MS on helmets but not M over S," followed by the Jackie are the best helmets and uniforms we ever had. I've always liked the interlocking msu for football helmets and the M over S for baseball. Baseball has tradition, which I would like to be built for football. God forgive us for the Russell Athletics uniforms! Real bulldogs say no to white helmets unless the opposition is wearing dark colored helmets.

The baseball and football programs represent the same school.

Separating your brand is dumb and the M over S is our best logo and brand.

Turfdawg67
05-18-2020, 11:49 PM
So is it still ?small minded? to like the ?STATE? branding idea I threw in that other thread Shotgun? Lol. I?m just busting your balls. But to me, the ?STATE? script helmet would instantly be the best helmet we?ve ever had. It?s super clean, looks awesome, and we can brand it really well. Not many, if any other teams use just ?STATE? as what they?re called other than what like Michigan State & we?re completely different colors and conferences. When people would see Maroon and White with ?STATE?, they?d know it was us. And people in the South/Sourheast would more than likely know exactly who ?STATE? was if we branded it more and pushed that more. The ?STATE? script jerseys are the sharpest uniforms in baseball and basketball, IMO. Why not add it to football and brand it more across all sports?

I like them both... but then again I like the M-State one too. The one I don't like is the MSJ during the Rockey period.

As far as no one mixing us up with Michigan State, I've worn a maroon M-State shirt, out of Mississippi, and have had quite a few people ask if I was a Michigan State fan.

Turfdawg67
05-18-2020, 11:58 PM
Just to be clear, this is the interlocking MSJ I hated...

https://i.postimg.cc/Vvwp4Lb7/IMG-0753.png

I, and almost everyone else, loved this interlocking one... bring it back! Pay Nike!

https://i.postimg.cc/x1Xxvb4f/IMG-0754.png

Skydawg1
05-18-2020, 11:58 PM
It represents the same university. Having separate logos for different sports is madness and does nothing to help Mississippi StateEven LSU has 3 different logos. Arkansas has that crappy looking A for baseball. Ole Miss uses Ole Miss for most everything except the block M for baseball. Auburn is about the only school I can think of that uses the same logo for everything. I guess Georgia does. I happen to really like our STATE over M logo on the helmets. (fun fact, it's our old basketball logo redone) Point being, many schools use many logos.

Turfdawg67
05-19-2020, 12:01 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the M-State one, but the first iteration was horrible. Luckily, I don't think it ever graced our helmets though.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zcpwmsR/IMG-0755.png vs. https://i.postimg.cc/W1cFnB9d/IMG-0756.png

Skydawg1
05-19-2020, 12:04 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the M-State one, but the first iteration was horrible. Luckily, I don't think it ever graced our helmets though.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zcpwmsR/IMG-0755.png

Blah!

I know we all like to forget the Croom error, but that logo was on our helmets in that time span. They looked like shart.

Irondawg
05-19-2020, 12:47 AM
Let’s just ask the question like this. You get to go buy one piece of MSU gear (say a hat or tshirt) and you’ll wear it to every sport event for MSU. What logo are you choosing?

The answer should be tour main sports logo. I’m choosing a maroon baseball hat with the baseball logo hands down.

There are places the block logo looks good. I like the “state” script as an alternative Helmet and the throwback basketball uniforms with just “state” on them are my favorite.

The current helmets are not awful like the Croom era but they are pretty mediocre

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 12:55 AM
Let’s just ask the question like this. You get to go buy one piece of MSU gear (say a hat or tshirt) and you’ll wear it to every sport event for MSU. What logo are you choosing?

The answer should be tour main sports logo. I’m choosing a maroon baseball hat with the baseball logo hands down.

This this this

dantheman4248
05-19-2020, 04:13 AM
Make it State and not 8tate and we have a winner.

Branding as State across the country is the move. We already have the SEC. LSU is the only other state school in the SEC and they're LSU. We already own the Southeast on this branding. Put it on the helmet and make it solely ours. State College is the only competition and we're simply "State".

dantheman4248
05-19-2020, 04:20 AM
This this this

Wish it wasn't so faded but I had a off-white khaki hat with block maroon letter STATE on it. That was my favorite hat and it said enough imo.

ChillbillyRock
05-19-2020, 05:39 AM
White version https://twitter.com/rockyvaughan/status/1262693452342603776?s=21

Coach34
05-19-2020, 06:27 AM
My avatar is the best helmet we have ever worn- but those look good that Rocky mocked up. Anything is better than what we currently have. The M-State crap needs to go yesterday.

Maroonthirteen
05-19-2020, 06:46 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/1zcpwmsR/IMG-0755.png vs. https://i.postimg.cc/W1cFnB9d/IMG-0756.png

You aren't in the minority. The MState is the university logo as decided by MSU leadership. The MState logo is worn by fans everywhere on game days of all sports.

Maroonthirteen
05-19-2020, 06:53 AM

!

Exactly. It isn't like you would be making some big improvement to the look of the helmet.

It's 2020....with the advancements in graphic design, a big company like adidas should get a lot more creative and come up with a look that is very unique and interesting.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 07:09 AM
White version https://twitter.com/rockyvaughan/status/1262693452342603776?s=21

Those white look so damn good

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 07:13 AM
You aren't in the minority. The MState is the university logo as decided by MSU leadership. The MState logo is worn by fans everywhere on game days of all sports.

- The leadership was wrong.
- Of course people wear it. What other options do they have?

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Exactly. It isn't like you would be making some big improvement to the look of the helmet.

It's 2020....with the advancements in graphic design, a big company like adidas should get a lot more creative and come up with a look that is very unique and interesting.

The helmet in your avatar looks like complete ass

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 07:48 AM

Well, when you go to buy merchandise that is basically the only option you have. So yeah, that makes sense since that logo is what the merch stores sell.

If they were all selling a different logo everyone would be wearing that logo.

Maroonthirteen
05-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Well, when you go to buy merchandise that is basically the only option you have. So yeah, that makes sense since that logo is what the merch stores sell.

that logo.

Back in the fall I was at maroon and company. They had plenty of MS baseball logo polos, T-shirt's and jerseys. None sold out and most on sale.

But hey.... if State fans want to create the narrative that all State fans hate their own logo, go ahead. That would be par for MSU. "Poor ole me trudging along with this god awful logo on my chest. If only we had leadership as smart as me, we'd win the national championship." Hahahaha.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Back in the fall I was at maroon and company. They had plenty of MS baseball logo polos, T-shirt's and jerseys. None sold out and most on sale.

They would sell if they were on the football helmet. That's the point.

We aren't fully leveraging our best logo.

BorneDawg
05-19-2020, 08:20 AM

But hey.... if State fans want to create the narrative that all State fans hate their own logo, go ahead. That would be par for MSU. "Poor ole me trudging along with this god awful logo on my chest. If only we had leadership as smart as me, we'd win the national championship." Hahahaha.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Maroonthirteen again.

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 08:23 AM

Where did I say anything like that? Sorry your panties got in a bunch because you take it to heart when Shotgun makes fun of your opinion of which logo is better on a helmet. I'm not defending either of them. The whole conversation is dumb and strictly hypothetical.

It's known in the MSU community the M over S is baseball. Whether the administration wants to change that is up to them. There is a private school here in Chattanooga who has nearly the exact colors and (M over S) logo for their school logo. So that wouldn't do us much good in this area for branding. Not like the M-State logo. But that's a drop in the bucket.

Is it really surprising to you that all of the baseball attire didn't get bought up? It's a big MSU sport for those who love baseball but realistically, a large portion probably doesn't care much about it until we get into the postseason. So they buy the primary logo because that is their only option and can wear it to all sports without having to drop $300 on clothing to cover football and baseball.

----

The bottom line is, if you want to buy a shirt with your school's logo on it then you are going to buy the primary logo more than likely. If your team has a secondary logo for a particular sport and you don't care about that sport, you will stick with the primary. Since football has more fans more people buy the primary logo instead of the M over S ones you are referring to that were on sale.

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 08:27 AM
They would sell if they were on the football helmet. That's the point.

Yes

ETA: I can't believe we agree on something Gun!

Turfdawg67
05-19-2020, 08:29 AM
The helmet in your avatar looks like complete ass

Opinions are like a-holes.

KOdawg1
05-19-2020, 08:30 AM
1. Interlocking logo
2. State script on the concept helmet
3. Flying M
4. M over S

5. M-state Banner

NWADAWG
05-19-2020, 08:31 AM

I don't like the M over S near as much as I thought I would.

NWADAWG
05-19-2020, 08:40 AM

I don't like the M over S near as much as I thought I would.

smootness
05-19-2020, 08:44 AM
The MoverS looks really good and is absolutely a far superior logo to the M-State. I avoid buying anything with M-State on it if I can and look for the MoverS.

I'm fine if you want to keep it baseball-specific; just go back to some form of the interlocking M-S-U. The M-State has come a long way, I will say that. It doesn't look nearly as bad as it used to. But it's still not great.

Turfdawg67
05-19-2020, 08:48 AM
The whole conversation is dumb and strictly hypothetical.

This is all that needs to be said. It's just another retread of a tired Shotgun opinion that he desperately brings up when he can't think of any other topic. (See: South Endzone)

Randolph Dupree
05-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Let?s just ask the question like this. You get to go buy one piece of MSU gear (say a hat or tshirt) and you?ll wear it to every sport event for MSU. What logo are you choosing?

The answer should be tour main sports logo. I?m choosing a maroon baseball hat with the baseball logo hands down.

There are places the block logo looks good. I like the ?state? script as an alternative Helmet and the throwback basketball uniforms with just ?state? on them are my favorite.

The current helmets are not awful like the Croom era but they are pretty mediocre

^^^this. A few years ago I started only buying gear with the M over S logo. I wear it to football, baseball, volleyball, softball alumni events, work on Friday and church on Sunday after a big win on Saturday. It is our most popular logo, I would say, based on the fact that if you find a nice pullover or shirt with the logo on it they tend to sell out. Hell, those black baseball hats are damn near impossible to find two weeks into the season every year.

I'm not wading into the 'it should be on our helmet discussion' but the argument that it's reserved for baseball is a not founded on anything other that people don't like change.

Basically what I'm saying is that I think M over S is our most popular logo, hands down. That and the current log on our football helmets sucks some kind of bad. I do not have the vocabulary to express how much I dislike it on the side of a football helmet. Use it for other things, hell I think it looks good on the basketball court,...just get it off the helmet.

Maroonthirteen
05-19-2020, 09:12 AM
You and shotgun and others have clearly stated MState is the only option. It isn't.

I'm not upset. Matt Wyatt and people feeding Shotgun seem to be ones upset with a logo and pushing for a change.

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 09:27 AM
You and shotgun and others have clearly stated MState is the only option. It isn't.

I'm not upset. Matt Wyatt and people feeding Shotgun seem to be ones upset with a logo and pushing for a change.

My post clearly says "basically your only option"

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-19-2020, 09:30 AM
After some thought I am not a fan of the script. The "s" looks like a backwards "&" and the school that I despise more than anything in the world has Script on their helmets and as if they are not annoying enough already, I can hear it now, "Lil brother had to copy us....."

Dawgology
05-19-2020, 09:31 AM

I think you just proved what the original poster was saying. It's our best logo but it's not leveraged. I LOVE the MoverS used by baseball....but it's only marketed as a baseball logo. College baseball (while fun) is about the 4th-5th ranked sport in college. It just doesn't pull as many fans. I've been buying vintage styled t-shirts since the M-State logo came out to avoid that eye-sore.

gtowndawg
05-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Not interested at all in the M over S. Seeing it confirms that in my mind. Hope we never do that.

But that "State" script is fire. 100. A+++ Hope we see that as an alternate helmet someday. Great job on that chill.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 09:37 AM
This is all that needs to be said. It's just another retread of a tired Shotgun opinion that he desperately brings up when he can't think of any other topic. (See: South Endzone)

Yeah, 63 replies based on only Shotgun wanting to talk about this.

gtowndawg
05-19-2020, 09:38 AM

I think the M State is clean. I acknowledge it's not perfect for a helmet but it's a good logo. I can spot it a mile away now when I see it on a car or a shirt.

Dawgbite
05-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Opinions are like a-holes.

Everyone has one and most of them stink!

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 09:50 AM
I think the M State is clean. I acknowledge it's not perfect for a helmet but it's a good logo. I can spot it a mile away now when I see it on a car or a shirt.

It's just too generic to me for a football helmet.

Imagine Michigan putting this on their helmet. You tell me what is better for branding?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Michigan_Wolverines_Logo.svg/1280px-Michigan_Wolverines_Logo.svg.png

Dawgbite
05-19-2020, 09:55 AM
We all want the M over S because we can’t have it. If it was our current logo, we would all be bitching wanting the banner M, it’s what we do.

Irondawg
05-19-2020, 09:57 AM
yeah the current M State logo I think it solid and deserves a prominent place in University marketing. It's great for license plates, window stickers, letterhead, signs, etc. but to me just isn't a great sports logo outside maybe some basketball usage.

I guess I am surprised at two things:

1) How much everyone seems to dislike the block on the letter (I knew it wasn't great)
2) How many people dislike the baseball logo on the helmet since I think it looks awesome

I also don't disagree with trying to make "State" our thing in the southeast. That's a good idea and it's great to throw up on actual jerseys but while I like the helmet concept with State on it, to me it doesn't hold a candle to the M over S variant.

Turfdawg67
05-19-2020, 09:58 AM

Yep, 21 by you and now 6 by me... plus the obligatory response from C34 stating that the logo in his avatar is the best. That's about half of them right there. No one is denying you know how to keep a thread going. Reply with at least 1/3 of the responses, even if you are just repeating yourself, to keep the thread at the top.

But hey, with Scooba, Cadaver, Coach 34, Coach 007 and others MIA lately, I guess we need you Shotgun. (*pat on the back)

Lord McBuckethead
05-19-2020, 10:20 AM
I simply don't get it.

The M over S looks like a JV high school football helmet from the midwest. Thats why.

Offshore Dawg
05-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Not interested at all in the M over S. Seeing it confirms that in my mind. Hope we never do that.

But that "State" script is fire. 100. A+++ Hope we see that as an alternate helmet someday. Great job on that chill.

Looks good form the right side of the helmet but how would State look from the left side trying to fit the capitol S in next to the facemask

Maroonthirteen
05-19-2020, 10:31 AM
I think you just proved what the original poster was saying. It's our best logo but it's not leveraged. I LOVE the MoverS used by baseball....but it's only marketed as a baseball logo. College baseball (while fun) is about the 4th-5th ranked sport in college. It just doesn't pull as many fans. I've been buying vintage styled t-shirts since the M-State logo came out to avoid that eye-sore.

It's marketing as a baseball logo because it is a quintessential baseball logo. see the the uniforms of the yankees, Mets etc etc.

College baseball is a very close 2nd fan favorite sport at MSU. See this thread.

Saying MS is the best logo is opinion. My opinion is that State fans like that logo because of the baseball history And the logo itself isn't that great. It's a simple baseball logo. Opinion.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 10:34 AM
My opinion is that State fans like that logo because of the baseball history And the logo itself isn't that great. It's a simple baseball logo. Opinion.

This is where we disagree. I think the logo is sharp, crisp, & Timeless

gtowndawg
05-19-2020, 10:36 AM
Yep, 21 by you and now 6 by me... plus the obligatory response from C34 stating that the logo in his avatar is the best. That's about half of them right there. No one is denying you know how to keep a thread going. Reply with at least 1/3 of the responses, even if you are just repeating yourself, to keep the thread at the top.

But hey, with Scooba, Cadaver, Coach 34, Coach 007 and others MIA lately, I guess we need you Shotgun. (*pat on the back)

And Bert. He may be KIA though (hope not).

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Looks good form the right side of the helmet but how would State look from the left side trying to fit the capitol S in next to the facemask

I was wondering the same thing.

Bothrops
05-19-2020, 12:00 PM

The Stayte one is pretty damn good. The M over S looks like a baseball logo on a football helmet**

Dawg Tired
05-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Let?s just ask the question like this. You get to go buy one piece of MSU gear (say a hat or tshirt) and you?ll wear it to every sport event for MSU. What logo are you choosing?

The answer should be tour main sports logo. I?m choosing a maroon baseball hat with the baseball logo hands down.

There are places the block logo looks good. I like the ?state? script as an alternative Helmet and the throwback basketball uniforms with just ?state? on them are my favorite.

I used the same thought process when designing this logo in honor of the Pirate. I just went with the best looking representation we have. Just like when I buy a hat. M over S every time whether I plan on wearing it to a football game or baseball game. Here are a few things I did.

KOdawg1
05-19-2020, 12:42 PM
I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet. LSU, Florida, and Alabama don't wear their main logos on their helmets. I don't think it hurts their brand. The State script would be cool bc it would help establish us as "State" which I think most agree makes us unique.

HoopsDawg
05-19-2020, 12:47 PM
I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet. LSU, Florida, and Alabama don't wear their main logos on their helmets. I don't think it hurts their brand. The State script would be cool bc it would help establish us as "State" which I think most agree makes us unique.

I think the majority of MSU fans agree with this post. Not all, but the majority. Good post.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 12:55 PM
I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet. LSU, Florida, and Alabama don't wear their main logos on their helmets.

This

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 01:28 PM
I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet.

This

Wait wut???

So you've changed your mind?

You don't like it on the helmet?

I'm confused about what you are wanting now.

speedy1972
05-19-2020, 01:31 PM

To me, it's about looking at ways to improve. If I'm a CEO of a company and I'm "satisfied" with not growing and improving, I'm not going to be a CEO at that company very long. Same thing with everything we do at the university we all love. Just because some of us are not content with being mediocre, don't hate on those who look for ways we can improve as a university and specifically our athletic department. We all want to win, but with that comes a price. And that price is not being "ok" with a south end zone that looks like a drive-in theater, uniforms that don't get anyone excited, and a brand that looks like very little thought was given to. We've come a long way in a lot of areas, including facilities and uniforms, but we can do better.

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 01:34 PM
To me, it's about looking at ways to improve. If I'm a CEO of a company and I'm "satisfied" with not growing and improving, I'm not going to be a CEO at that company very long. Same thing with everything we do at the university we all love. Just because some of us are not content with being mediocre, don't hate on those who look for ways we can improve as a university and specifically our athletic department. We all want to win, but with that comes a price. And that price is not being "ok" with a south end zone that looks like a drive-in theater, uniforms that don't get anyone excited, and a brand that looks like very little thought was given to. We've come a long way in a lot of areas, including facilities and uniforms, but we can do better.

Pretty sure Shotty is one of the bigger fan "advocates" for all that you've listed.

On here at least.

Goldendawg
05-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Y'all know that I have never liked the MState logo. UM had the M first and we come along and slap a State banner across it. We are Mississippi State University not MState. People in the SEC also know us as State. Use something with MSU, State, or MS in it. BTW, I always heard Richard Williams had something to do with MState logo for basketball as it came into being. Any truth to this? Our main yell at FB games is Go State or the State spellout before the start of the game. Have yet to here a MState yell or spellout and hope I dont. Hard for me to believe we can't do our own spin on the interlocking MSU and use it at least some, just because Nike supposedly owns it and has given it to who, Montana State? I graduated from MSU not MState. I tell people Mississippi State or just State and they know who.

Pipedream
05-19-2020, 01:58 PM

I'm choosing walking bully every time, but you can't put that on a helmet. I like the Block/Banner M or just plainly "STATE" in all caps white block letters. Don't use the baseball logo. It makes me think of baseball and will always make me think of baseball. The current one is fine tbh.

TheLostDawg
05-19-2020, 02:12 PM
I like them

msu15
05-19-2020, 02:18 PM
That state one is awesome. I'd rather wear the Croom helmet over that MoverS. Looks like a high school helmet.

Goldendawg
05-19-2020, 02:22 PM
That state one is awesome. I'd rather wear the Croom helmet over that MoverS. Looks like a high school helmet.

Hey last year of Adidas contract. Could probably give Sly a call, wake him on his sofa, and he could give us Russell Athletic number from his rolodex! Hail State!

fader2103
05-19-2020, 02:30 PM

The second version is absolutely better.

fader2103
05-19-2020, 02:32 PM
My avatar is the best helmet we have ever worn- but those look good that Rocky mocked up. Anything is better than what we currently have. The M-State crap needs to go yesterday.

I agree I can support that interlocking MSU

Lord McBuckethead
05-19-2020, 02:45 PM

Could just put a huge map of MS on that side

Irondawg
05-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Question for those that think the M over S looks like a jr high logo:

Does the same now hold true for the interlocking helmet?also do you like what we have now?

fader2103
05-19-2020, 03:43 PM
Question for those that think the M over S looks like a jr high logo:

Does the same now hold true for the interlocking helmet?also do you like what we have now?

I could care less about what we wore on the helmet. This is just for fun anyway. We are not changing the logo to the M over S full time, probably will never see it on the football helmet. Again, I could care less about it. I am going to support the team no matter what is on a helmet. I am also against any kind of remark about how we win more with this kind of helmet vs this kind of helmet.

Extendedcab
05-19-2020, 03:53 PM

From reading other posts on this topic in another thread, it "sounded" like to me. This is the way I read it anyway, doesn't have to be true. This is only what passed in my mind as I read the different posts. That we want a logo on the helmet that has 2 characters - an interlocking MS to be like other schools like Baylor, Auburn and others that were mention in the posts.

My thought is we will never be as good as someone we imitate, we have to be our own entity, set our own standard and have our own look even if different from the norms in order to be successful and not considered an also-ran or 2nd rate school. The schools mention in the post, as logos to emulate, weren't always a football school, they started somewhere and not on top.

With our new FB coach, maybe we do create a new logo. Both of the ones in this initial thread look good to me or maybe we use the interlocking MS logo or M State. After all we are still 1 university - aren't we? whatever we choose, I guess I am not as picky as some of you guys here, let's stick with it and make a true MSU brand out of it.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Wait wut???

So you've changed your mind?

You don't like it on the helmet?

I'm confused about what you are wanting now.

I don't like the M State logo anywhere near an athletic uniform. Other than that, I'm OK with it

RocketDawg
05-19-2020, 04:37 PM
I don't really care all that much about the helmet design. You can't tell what they are from the stands anyway. Now the black and "specialty" uniforms, yes, you can see those and see the difference. Stick with Marooon and White.

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2020, 05:24 PM
I don't really care all that much about the helmet design. You can't tell what they are from the stands anyway. Now the black and "specialty" uniforms, yes, you can see those and see the difference. Stick with Marooon and White.

This has nothing to do with what you can see from stands

MagicDawg
05-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Unpopular opinion, I know. I'd downvote it myself even though I think it's ultimately true.

The whole point of a brand/logo is to unify everything with a single iconic image that is recognizable, easily reproduced in various media, and visible/discernible in multiple situations.

As a result, I think the M-State that we have is the most effective logo we've had since I've followed State (mid70s). Not the ruffle M-State. Too ornate and detail was too fine. The new one, though? It works great. All things considered, I think it's better than the interlocking MSU and MSJ logos that we had in my college days, which didn't get our word "State" into the look. It's definitely better than the "let's just change the font" approach with our wordmarks over the years.

I get the baseball M-over-S and I like it, but it suffers from the fact that the lines are so thin in comparison to the overall footprint of the image. It either fades away quickly as you get distance, or it blurs into a mess of lines. But it ultimately suggests or implies that the baseball program is not really "part of the team" of Mississippi State athletics. It makes us lack unity.

I think it's a continuing weakness for any of our programs to have vastly different logos from the overall athletic program. It defeats the purpose of having a unified brand.

We dilute our impact by not having one logo across everything, and the one we should have, sentimentalism aside, is the current M-State and variations.

I know, I know, I know. Let the hate flow, that's fine. :D

Hail State.

HoopsDawg
05-19-2020, 09:12 PM
Unpopular opinion, I know. I'd downvote it myself even though I think it's ultimately true.

The whole point of a brand/logo is to unify everything with a single iconic image that is recognizable, easily reproduced in various media, and visible/discernible in multiple situations.

As a result, I think the M-State that we have is the most effective logo we've had since I've followed State (mid70s). Not the ruffle M-State. Too ornate and detail was too fine. The new one, though? It works great. All things considered, I think it's better than the interlocking MSU and MSJ logos that we had in my college days, which didn't get our word "State" into the look. It's definitely better than the "let's just change the font" approach with our wordmarks over the years.

I get the baseball M-over-S and I like it, but it suffers from the fact that the lines are so thin in comparison to the overall footprint of the image. It either fades away quickly as you get distance, or it blurs into a mess of lines. But it ultimately suggests or implies that the baseball program is not really "part of the team" of Mississippi State athletics. It makes us lack unity.

I think it's a continuing weakness for any of our programs to have vastly different logos from the overall athletic program. It defeats the purpose of having a unified brand.

We dilute our impact by not having one logo across everything, and the one we should have, sentimentalism aside, is the current M-State and variations.

I know, I know, I know. Let the hate flow, that's fine. :D

Hail State.

Yeah, the problem is your entire premise wrong. Is Alabama recognized by a Number? No of course not. I do agree the Mstate logo is fine for a recognizable logo for the university but that doesn't mean it has to go on a helmet or a baseball hat. I think that's what most people are saying.

MagicDawg
05-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Yeah, the problem is your entire premise wrong. Is Alabama recognized by a Number? No of course not. I do agree the Mstate logo is fine for a recognizable logo for the university but that doesn't mean it has to go on a helmet or a baseball hat. I think that's what most people are saying.

Point taken.

My point is that if we're going to have a logo on the helmet, it should be a unified logo. Special one-off helmets for a single game here or there, yeah I get that. But as a standard image on the helmet -- or anywhere else -- if we're going to have a logo at all, I think it should be *the* logo (or one of the standard set with the same design/feel), not a separate logo for "this" or another version of "that" or a totally different "the other."

was21
05-21-2020, 07:07 PM
Give Bob Tyler credit for the M over S...thx

drummerdawg
05-21-2020, 08:13 PM
If we can't use the interlocking MSU logo, use the MSJ logo and be done with it. Those are the best looking logos we've ever had on helmets. It's really that simple.

Cooterpoot
05-22-2020, 04:38 AM
I've often said the whole idea of "consolidating" logos was the dumbest shit we ever did. The banner M was basketball, MSU football, MS baseball. Yet, we come out with all these damn alternative uniforms and logos. It was all poorly conceived and executed. But our leadership is so conservative they'll never change it. Change is a dirty word on our campus.

basedog
05-22-2020, 07:13 AM
I like the M over S logo the best, but I have no problem with any. I think my second favorite is STATE, the only one I never cared about is the walking bulldog.

As for as uniforms, they are all free, it's not a big deal to me although I am not crazy about the black uniforms our baseball teams wear. I don't go to games or watch on TV thinking. "Oh crap look at our uniforms", I'm to busy wanting to be an "arm chair Coach" like a few others***

gtowndawg
05-22-2020, 10:30 AM
I am not crazy about the black uniforms our baseball teams wear.

Amen, those things are awful.

Pennywise
05-22-2020, 10:38 AM
"On Sundays, we wear black."

It's a new tradition. The players love them. They've got a pretty good record in them.

I'm fine with them.

BB30
05-22-2020, 10:54 AM
That state helmet logo is awesome.

For some reason seeing the baseball logo on a football helmet is throwing me off. I can't decide if I like the way it looks or not. As for branding purposes it would be nice to have one main logo across sports but we use the State on baseball and basketball stuff already as well.

The only logo that isn't used campus wide is the baseball logo.

As far as just what looks good to my eye the State helmet looks awesome. Again, not opposed to using the baseball logo for everything I just don't personally like the look of it on a helmet for some reason and can't put my finger on why.

Maroonthirteen
05-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Amen, those things are awful.

The Black Uniform itself, looks good. However an all black uniform just isn't "Mississippi State" to me.

Which brings me to another point. I think the more concerning point with branding isn't a better logo but sticking with our brand. I feel Adidas hasn't done us any favors in that regarding. We wear to many different specialty uniforms that don't incorporate our colors or our traditional Mississippi State look. I'm talking about all sports. Not just baseball.

Lord McBuckethead
05-23-2020, 09:23 AM
I think if you put one of these on one side and one on the other, it would work.