PDA

View Full Version : Reese Officially A Gator

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Again, pretty pathetic situation here that the SEC has to gain foothold over.

A starting player was just tampered with recruited off another SEC roster.

The optics on this are terrible

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2020, 09:54 AM
And to add on this.

We have another transfer Fabian Lovett that has created a bidding war between Ole Miss & Tennessee for his services. Did FSU refuse to play him?

So we got one team tampering & recruiting a player off our roster & another transferring in an effort to get paid.

Where is Cohen in all this? Why does it feel like MSU is just taking it on the chin while providing no resistance?

maroonmania
05-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Probably an all-time record for shortest stay in the transfer portal. This was obviously all worked our before Reese made himself available for transfer which I guess we already knew and makes the whole thing stink. Not really sure why the wait until May to do this since its obviously been in the works for quite a while. And Mullen reaffirms he is a POS.

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2020, 10:17 AM
Probably an all-time record for shortest stay in the transfer portal. This was obviously all worked our before Reese made himself available for transfer which I guess we already knew and makes the whole thing stink. Not really sure why the wait until May to do this since its obviously been in the works for quite a while. And Mullen reaffirms he is a POS.

The entire situation is rotten.

Just feels like the SEC needs regulate schools from recruiting starters off other's rosters

confucius say
05-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Prob wait till May to make sure graduated.

Here is the thing, if his brother were at Georgia and he were transferring there to play his brother would we care? Is it the brother that was the pull or Mullen?

R2Dawg
05-17-2020, 10:22 AM
As I said on other thread this is full of corruption and low class all the way around. On SEC, Mullen. Obviously Reese didn't feel much loyalty to "the team".

I know in this day and age there is not much team any more just about me, me, me. All the rules of NCAA have been rewritten to reflect the me status.

R2Dawg
05-17-2020, 10:24 AM

Here is the thing, if his brother were at Georgia and he were transferring there to play his brother would we care? Is it the brother that was the pull or Mullen?

Mullen situation no doubt is worse. Mullen used MSU and is still using us to our detriment. He shows no respect for MSU which I find very offensive. Mullen don't ever expect to be treated like a hero when you try and come back one day.

msstate7
05-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Mullen situation no doubt is worse. Mullen used MSU and is still using us to our detriment. He shows no respect for MSU which I find very offensive. Mullen don't ever expect to be treated like a hero when you try and come back one day.

Mullen was one of the best things that ever happened to our program. Pretty crappy if he reached out to Reese though, but I personally feel it could be the exact opposite

maroonmania
05-17-2020, 10:27 AM

If the GA coaching staff were using in-house Zoom calls to tamper with the brother of their player I would think we would be just as unhappy about it. How would the Florida fans feel if Leach was getting Reese's brother to transfer to MSU to play because he had access to him through in-house Zoom calls due to the quarantine? I think any SEC school's fans would feel the same way if the situation was reversed. I don't personally have an issue with him transferring as much as the means by which it happened.

maroonmania
05-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Mullen was one of the best things that ever happened to our program. Pretty crappy if he reached out to Reese though, but I personally feel it could be the exact opposite

Mullen is a good coach and did good things for our program and for that I'm glad. But I don't care much for him on a personal level and felt that way even when he was here.

confucius say
05-17-2020, 11:03 AM
If the GA coaching staff were using in-house Zoom calls to tamper with the brother of their player I would think we would be just as unhappy about it. How would the Florida fans feel if Leach was getting Reese's brother to transfer to MSU to play because he had access to him through in-house Zoom calls due to the quarantine? I think any SEC school's fans would feel the same way if the situation was reversed. I don't personally have an issue with him transferring as much as the means by which it happened.

That happened?

MaroonFlounder
05-17-2020, 11:10 AM
I never really had hatred for Mullen and Stricklin. Until now.

AmiteDog
05-17-2020, 12:17 PM
The hunchback is and always was a piece of chit. Fans just didn?t want to see if because they always put their coach on a pedestal.

starkvegasdawg
05-17-2020, 01:25 PM
17 Reese. 17 Mullen. 17 anybody else that had a hand in this.

Todd4State
05-17-2020, 01:40 PM
The hunchback is and always was a piece of chit. Fans just didn?t want to see if because they always put their coach on a pedestal.

Nailed it. And people talk about the great shape he left us in- no offensive tackles, a QB that was a 50% completion guy that only fits a couple of styles of offense and a bunch of receivers who couldn't catch because of his lazy recruiting. All the while pissing away two Egg Bowls if not three while he was getting his ass kissed trying to get a "better" job like Tennessee.

Todd4State
05-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Oh and on the topic of this thread- let's get us a decent corner now.

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2020, 01:42 PM
The fact that more players haven't come out on Twitter against Reese and Lovett just further expounds in the culture problem.

MetEdDawg
05-17-2020, 01:58 PM
The fact that more players haven't come out on Twitter against Reese and Lovett just further expounds in the culture problem.

Incorrect assessment. Means we've shut that shit down. As well we should.

You can't possibly think it would be good for players to call out players transferring from MSU while also welcoming other transfers in.

Outsiders don't care about the circumstances. They care about optics. And the optics of that would be very bad for us. That is a no win situation for us.

HoopsDawg
05-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Oh and on the topic of this thread- let's get us a decent corner now.

Yes!

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2020, 02:10 PM

You can't possibly think it would be good for players to call out players transferring from MSU while also welcoming other transfers in.

Outsiders don't care about the circumstances. They care about optics. And the optics of that would be very bad for us. That is a no win situation for us.

You may be right here. If we've shut it down, then good.

Todd4State
05-17-2020, 02:49 PM

Yeah. Nothing worse than our guys talking smack before Kentucky a couple of years ago only to get beat down. Come to think of it I haven't seen a post on Genespage about what "Kylin Hill said on Twitter" in awhile either.

Bothrops
05-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Mullen was merely a competent coach that we happened to hire after a period where other programs in our league had made tremendous strides. During which time we went the other direction.

confucius say
05-17-2020, 09:21 PM
Again, pretty pathetic situation here that the SEC has to gain foothold over.

A starting player was just tampered with recruited off another SEC roster.

The optics on this are terrible

Reese was a solid depth guy, but not a starter. He didn't start the last 6 games of 2019 and wasn't projected to be a starter in 2020.

I'd love to have him for depth though.

Todd4State
05-17-2020, 10:19 PM
Mullen was merely a competent coach that we happened to hire after a period where other programs in our league had made tremendous strides. During which time we went the other direction.

Mullen was a perfect hire for MSU in 2009. You absolutely summed him up perfectly.

TUSK
05-18-2020, 09:51 AM
This^ thread kinda reminds me of this thread:

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?46491-Re-Intra-Conference-Transfer-Rule&highlight=maurice+smith

Specifically, this post:

"My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue."

TheLostDawg
05-18-2020, 11:10 AM
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2020/05/17/where-former-lady-vols-jazmine-massengill-zaay-green-transferred/3015951001/

I know that is a different situation but we aren't the only school dealing with a transfer problem.

BB30
05-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Eh. Get ready because it is certainly going to happen more often but we are also going to benefit from it some as well. It will probably all even out over the years. This one just sucks a little more than others due to where he is headed.

On Mullen, I don't get all of the hate. He is a coach at a competing school and if he needs a tackle why not go after one you already know. We would have done the same thing had Leach had some guys on the west coast he was interested in and our fans wouldn't care one bit.

Mullen made our program what it is today and for that we should all be thankful. He literally was the reason Starkville grew and built so rapidly. Once we started having success the new condos etc. started going up. Yea, he's an arrogant ass, most D1 coaches are. The bottom line is he won here and he won big compared to our history all the while boosting the Starkville economy and helping grow the student base. He has done way more for our university than he has to hurt it.

thf24
05-18-2020, 03:57 PM
Reese was a solid depth guy, but not a starter. He didn't start the last 6 games of 2019 and wasn't projected to be a starter in 2020.

I'd love to have him for depth though.

Wasn't he hurt down the stretch last year? Also, who was projecting that he wasn't going to start this year? It's very possible it would have ended up that way given his perceived weakness in pass protection, but I'm not sure who his sure replacement would have been.

confucius say
05-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Wasn't he hurt down the stretch last year? Also, who was projecting that he wasn't going to start this year? It's very possible it would have ended up that way given his perceived weakness in pass protection, but I'm not sure who his sure replacement would have been.

Not sure. He played against bama and om and Louisville, just didn't start. He actually did start against Abilene, I believe at right tackle. Sharp and Parker both moved passed him on the depth chart at guard.

TUSK
05-19-2020, 01:17 AM
yeah, this is one of those "whine and bitch" moments when ya think it hurts ya, or a "Hell frickin' yeah!" moment when it helps ya....

It's typical fan hypocrisy..

Todd4State
05-19-2020, 02:48 AM
Eh. Get ready because it is certainly going to happen more often but we are also going to benefit from it some as well. It will probably all even out over the years. This one just sucks a little more than others due to where he is headed.

On Mullen, I don't get all of the hate. He is a coach at a competing school and if he needs a tackle why not go after one you already know. We would have done the same thing had Leach had some guys on the west coast he was interested in and our fans wouldn't care one bit.

Mullen made our program what it is today and for that we should all be thankful. He literally was the reason Starkville grew and built so rapidly. Once we started having success the new condos etc. started going up. Yea, he's an arrogant ass, most D1 coaches are. The bottom line is he won here and he won big compared to our history all the while boosting the Starkville economy and helping grow the student base. He has done way more for our university than he has to hurt it.

I'd say Jackie had more to with some of that than Dan. Starkville started to build up when I was in college in the late 90's before Dan even got here.

I'll air out my grievances though against Dan.

1. He paid too much attention to trying to get another job and it cost us an Egg Bowl AND our administration allowed him to do it multiple times without reprecutions. What that resulted in was a period of about 2-3 years where our program stagnated under him- and then we made a poor hire in Moorhead. At any rate- if you want me to adorn someone as the best coach in MSU history you better not piss away 2-3 Egg Bowls trying to go to Miami which is the equivalent of Tulane with a good football program historically speaking.

2. Poor recruiting and roster management. Sure he found some diamonds in the rough. He also found a way to make recruiting at Starkville HS a challenge. And as far as roster management I can't figure out if he never thought to use a spread sheet to come up with a depth chart to identify holes, was too arrogant and thought he could win with smurfs at WR and no offensive tackles, or if he just didn't give a shit. Or a combination of all three. Playing seniors over better underclassmen at times falls in this category for me too. It all adds up to someone who while he did well here he didn't really do any better than Jackie except the difference to me is I feel like Dan left a LOT more left on the table year after year.

Todd4State
05-19-2020, 02:50 AM

C- Sharp
G- Parker
G- Lashley
T- Cross
T- Eiland

So yes, it's VERY possible that he would have been our third guard this year.

Todd4State
05-19-2020, 02:59 AM
This^ thread kinda reminds me of this thread:

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?46491-Re-Intra-Conference-Transfer-Rule&highlight=maurice+smith

Specifically, this post:

"My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue."

What's happening is these players are taking summer school classes so that they can stay around and work out. That's why these guys are all graduating by the end of their redshirt sophomore year.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this. I know to be on the team and play during the season that they have to be considered a full time student which when I was at MSU was 12 hours I believe or basically four typical classes without labs. What a lot of players do is try to take something difficult during the summer when there are less distractions and get whatever it is out of the way and try to take easier classes in the fall.

My question would be do they have to take classes in the summer to be able to go through the summer workouts?

I do agree with your overall point. I think we have had four players at MSU transfer. I would imagine that is typical but I'm not sure because it could be more since we have had a coaching change and this is a fairly new system. I do agree with you that most of the transfers are going to be over playing time- or to add my two cents in- basically attempting to go back home like Reese. I could see something like a coaching change factoring in as well whether it's a head coach or even a position coach.

On the other side of the coin the majority of the players are likely to stay for various reasons too- they're happy with their playing time, no reason to leave, some of them have girlfriends that they are serious about and don't want to leave. Things like that.

thf24
05-19-2020, 08:29 AM
C- Sharp
G- Parker
G- Lashley
T- Cross
T- Eiland

So yes, it's VERY possible that he would have been our third guard this year.

I agree, I just don't see it as a foregone conclusion that a senior and a three year starter would have been jumped by any of the available candidates. If Lashley was going to replace anyone, I feel like it could just as easily have been Eiland, who has a similar resume and similar criticisms to Reese but without the experience at guard.

StateDawg44
05-19-2020, 08:32 AM
nm

BrunswickDawg
05-19-2020, 08:50 AM
What's happening is these players are taking summer school classes so that they can stay around and work out. That's why these guys are all graduating by the end of their redshirt sophomore year.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this. I know to be on the team and play during the season that they have to be considered a full time student which when I was at MSU was 12 hours I believe or basically four typical classes without labs. What a lot of players do is try to take something difficult during the summer when there are less distractions and get whatever it is out of the way and try to take easier classes in the fall.

My question would be do they have to take classes in the summer to be able to go through the summer workouts?

I do agree with your overall point. I think we have had four players at MSU transfer. I would imagine that is typical but I'm not sure because it could be more since we have had a coaching change and this is a fairly new system. I do agree with you that most of the transfers are going to be over playing time- or to add my two cents in- basically attempting to go back home like Reese. I could see something like a coaching change factoring in as well whether it's a head coach or even a position coach.

On the other side of the coin the majority of the players are likely to stay for various reasons too- they're happy with their playing time, no reason to leave, some of them have girlfriends that they are serious about and don't want to leave. Things like that.

I don't believe that you have to take classes to go thru workouts - but I believe you do have to take classes to qualify for your housing, etc. to be paid for out of scholarship funds.