PDA

View Full Version : Brad Edwards is Out of Touch with Reality

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 08:48 AM
I've always liked Brad Edwards, but I'm listening to him on Bo Bounds right now & he's apparently lost his ability to think.

He's discussing why the ESPN FPI has Ole Miss at almost two more wins than MSU, &, while to his credit, he does say that FPI only credits Costello for what he was last year rather than 2018 & that FPI assumes the offense takes a step back due to a coaching change, yet he throws out 2 really stupid statements...

1. Lane Kiffin is more flexible on offense than Leach - Well, one guy has coached at Alabama, Tennessee, & USC while the other has coached at Texas Tech & Wazzou. The pieces & parts on the roster to be flexible exist exponentially more at Kiffin's schools than Leach's. Leach has to recruit a certain type of lower level recruit to do anything on offense. At MSU, as Spurrier said yesterday, they've got a RB they've never had & are trying to figure out what to do with him.

2. Edwards then goes on to say that he think Kiffin will recruit much better than Leach. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?

All this to say, people think they have Leach figured out. They think after 18 years as a head coach, they know exactly what he can do & what he brings to the table, however, they forget that he's coached at Texas Tech & Washington State & regardless of how much you think you have him figured out, you have no idea what he'll do with more local talent & better players on his roster.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2020, 08:55 AM
I've always liked Brad Edwards, but I'm listening to him on Bo Bounds right now & he's apparently lost his ability to think.

He's discussing why the ESPN FPI has Ole Miss at almost two more wins than MSU, &, while to his credit, he does say that FPI only credits Costello for what he was last year rather than 2018 & that FPI assumes the offense takes a step back due to a coaching change, yet he throws out 2 really stupid statements...

1. Lane Kiffin is more flexible on offense than Leach - Well, one guy has coached at Alabama, Tennessee, & USC while the other has coached at Texas Tech & Wazzou. The pieces & parts on the roster to be flexible exist exponentially more at Kiffin's schools than Leach's. Leach has to recruit a certain type of lower level recruit to do anything on offense. At MSU, as Spurrier said yesterday, they've got a RB they've never had & are trying to figure out what to do with him.

2. Edwards then goes on to say that he think Kiffin will recruit much better than Leach. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?

All this to say, people think they have Leach figured out. They think after 18 years as a head coach, they know exactly what he can do & what he brings to the table, however, they forget that he's coached at Texas Tech & Washington State & regardless of how much you think you have him figured out, you have no idea what he'll do with more local talent & better players on his roster.

I would say that a guy taking a QB that no one really wants and winning 11 games isn't a coach that people have "figured out". Kiffin is a good coach but he has typically always had a talent advantage when he has been successful. USC fired him and immediately improved with Coach O as interim. The guy isn't that great of a head coach. He is a pretty good OC. I am not sure he is that great of a recruiter but he did go all out hiring recruiter coaches.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 08:57 AM
I would say that a guy taking a QB that no one really wants and winning 11 games isn't a coach that people have "figured out". Kiffin is a good coach but he has typically always had a talent advantage when he has been successful. USC fired him and immediately improved with Coach O as interim. The guy isn't that great of a head coach. He is a pretty good OC. I am not sure he is that great of a recruiter but he did go all out hiring recruiter coaches.

But that QB had Amari Cooper, TJ Yeldon, & others around him. You can't discount that

I just honestly don't respect much anything that a coach does at Alabama. I don't think it's transferable to any other school, except maybe Ohio State

msstate7
05-14-2020, 09:11 AM
So what are some examples of leach changing system to fit talent? I think you're losing over something brad is probably right about. I certainly think kiffin is more flexible, but I also think leach is a better coach. Regardless of coach, we hardly ever outrecruit OM in rankings

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:13 AM
So what are some examples of leach changing system to fit talent? I think you're losing over something brad is probably right about. I certainly think kiffin is more flexible, but I also think leach is a better coach. Regardless of coach, we hardly ever outrecruit OM in rankings

I'm sure there are examples, but when has he ever had talent to adapt to?

Commercecomet24
05-14-2020, 09:19 AM
He did a pretty dang good job as the OC at Oklahoma in '99. OU went from 11th in the conference in offense in '98 to first in just one year. I think the dude can coach.

ETA Just one example of him coaching with talent.

msstate7
05-14-2020, 09:20 AM
I'm sure there are examples, but when has he ever had talent to adapt to?

2014 bama - sims

msstate7
05-14-2020, 09:25 AM
2017 fau: 3994 rush yds, 2983 pass
2018 fau: 2902 rush, 2844 pass
2019 fau: 2324 rush, 3956 pass

All 3 years, top 25 offense. Seems he was "flexible". Not sure why you're bent out of shape over this... leach is a better coach

RiverCityDawg
05-14-2020, 09:30 AM
But that QB had Amari Cooper, TJ Yeldon, & others around him. You can't discount that

I just honestly don't respect much anything that a coach does at Alabama. I don't think it's transferable to any other school, except maybe Ohio State

I think he's talking about Minshew.

I agree. Yeah, what Kiffin did at Alabama was nice, but if you're talking about coaching ability you have to consider the apples and oranges of working with Alabama talent versus WSU talent. That seems to be totally discounted by some "experts" addressing this topic.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:32 AM
2014 bama - sims

Again, I believe someone that's good at Madden can adapt Bama's offense. Not hard when you have infinite talent to work with

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:33 AM
I think he's talking about Minshew.

I agree. Yeah, what Kiffin did at Alabama was nice, but if you're talking about coaching ability you have to consider the apples and oranges of working with Alabama talent versus WSU talent. That seems to be totally discounted by some "experts" addressing this topic.

Exactly, good point on Minshew.

Leach essentially just took a guy off the street & turned him into a Heisman candidate while Kiffin took an offense with multiple future pro bowlers on it & adapted it.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:38 AM
2017 fau: 3994 rush yds, 2983 pass
2018 fau: 2902 rush, 2844 pass
2019 fau: 2324 rush, 3956 pass

All 3 years, top 25 offense. Seems he was "flexible". Not sure why you're bent out of shape over this... leach is a better coach

I'm bent out of shape because I'm tired of formulas, like FPI & analytics, having no accountability.

For example: if Rosebowl says MSU is going to the Rosebowl & MSU falls far short of that, he has to live with that nickname for decades. His opinion has accountability.

Whereas FPI, Bill Connolly, Brad Edwards, Corona models, etc all get passes because analytics have no accountability. The people who put together a bad formula are never held accountable because they just say it's what the numbers say & thus are thought of as objective, while no one brings up the fact that it was there opinion that created the algorithm that spit out a terrible prediction.

You know which model & analytics are the most accurate? Las Vegas odds makers & do you know why Las Vegas odds makers models are the most accurate? because they have skin in the game & are held accountable based on winning & losing money.

Amazing how much better predictions get when people are held accountable.

gtowndawg
05-14-2020, 09:42 AM
He did a pretty dang good job as the OC at Oklahoma in '99. OU went from 11th in the conference in offense in '98 to first in just one year. I think the dude can coach.

ETA Just one example of him coaching with talent.

He did the same at Kentucky, Valdosa St and the Iowa college (all struggled offensively before he got there. I just finished his book if you can't tell). He's literally done it everywhere he's been. We will score plenty on offense so I'm not sure why that's a focus of Edwards? Keeping people out of the endzone is far more of a question mark in my mind.

coastratdog
05-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Being an OC and an HC are not comparable for future projections on how someone will do. Anyone remember Joe Moorhead? I know he was an HC at Tenn and USC but those gigs didn't last very long. So focus on FAU and what he did there. With that being said I think Leach is going to do better in the beginning but after say 3 years and the money starts flowing again who knows. Kiffin will do fine, Leach will do better and that's all I care about.

DownwardDawg
05-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Lane Kiffin is the reason that ole miss beat Bama twice. He had RB’s that could not even be slowed down by the ole miss D and he insisted on passing the ball as much as ole miss.

msstate7
05-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Lane Kiffin is the reason that ole miss beat Bama twice. He had RB’s that could not even be slowed down by the ole miss D and he insisted on passing the ball as much as ole miss.

I agree with the premise, but that's on saban even if kiffin was being dumb

Jack Lambert
05-14-2020, 09:49 AM
The truth of he matter is Edwards is a prick Bama homer who is only propping up Kiffin because he coached at Bama. I have never liked him. I don't like Bo's show. I don't listen to Bo's show. He's a prick just like all the guest on his show are pricks. All he has is perma donnas on his show and Bo is on his knees the entire show. He is a yes man. What the guest say on his show he agrees with them. Screw him and his show. It sucks donkey dicks.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:56 AM
The truth of he matter is Edwards is a prick Bama homer who is only propping up Kiffin because he coached at Bama. I have never liked him. I don't like Bo's show. I don't listen to Bo's show. He's a prick just like all the guest on his show are pricks. All he has is perma donnas on his show and Bo is on his knees the entire show. He is a yes man. What the guest say on his show he agrees with them. Screw him and his show. It sucks donkey dicks.

Bo goes out of his way to be fair & balanced with Ole Miss fans to the point where he makes everything Ole Miss sound good & everything MSU is met with skepticism.

He's an MSU fan, so I know what he's doing. He trying to run a successful business & to do that, he needs both fan bases to listen to his show. You can really tell due to how his sidekick Blake has changed. When Blake first came on the show, he was heavy MSU, but now he acts just like Bo, so you can tell he was coached on how to handle the rivalry to benefit the show.

however, it just comes across in a smug way with MSU. Guests like Steve Robertson & others are forced to defend MSU on the show.

Edwards has a blue blood mindset & still sees MSU as Mittittippii Tate like he did in his childhood. Although, MSU has changed, in Edwards mind, he stills sees it as the same place. He simply doesn't get it.

Cooterpoot
05-14-2020, 09:56 AM

The top coaches recruit to their systems. They don't have to change their systems to match talent (other than minor tweaks). If Leach can't recruit to his system, he will fail. But he's won with lower ranked recruiting. That tells me he's damn good at what he does.

gtowndawg
05-14-2020, 10:05 AM
The top coaches recruit to their systems. They don't have to change their systems to match talent (other than minor tweaks). If Leach can't recruit to his system, he will fail. But he's won with lower ranked recruiting. That tells me he's damn good at what he does.

Something Leech said in his book that was very interesting. I'm paraphrasing but it was basically "When I went to Kentucky everyone said you are going to play these incredible defensive players. Everyone on defense in the SEC is like Deoin Sanders and Warren Sapp. Well guess what? I'm going to have players on offensive like I've never had before either."

That was 10 years ago but I think that still applies.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Something Leech said in his book that was very interesting. I'm paraphrasing but it was basically "When I went to Kentucky everyone said you are going to play these incredible defensive players. Everyone on defense in the SEC is like Deoin Sanders and Warren Sapp. Well guess what? I'm going to have players on offensive like I've never had before either."

That was 10 years ago but I think that still applies.

Yup.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2020, 10:12 AM
1. Kiffin is probably considered more flexible because he's capable of running multiple offenses. Leach has his style & has had it for almost 20 years. No need for flexibility in style of play because he has his style.

2. Saying Kiffin is going to out recruit Leach is 2 fold. Kiffin has a reputation of a good recruiter & Leach does not. Also for the most part OM has consistently out recruited MSU for the past 25 years. That doesn't mean they will be better.

Neither of these statements are really wow gotcha provocative statements to me. I imagine most would agree with with them at face value.

dawgday166
05-14-2020, 10:14 AM
1. Kiffin is probably considered more flexible because he's capable of running multiple offenses. Leach has his style & has had it for almost 20 years. No need for flexibility in style of play because he has his style.

2. Saying Kiffin is going to out recruit Leach is 2 fold. Kiffin has a reputation of a good recruiter & Leach does not. Also for the most part OM has consistently out recruited MSU for the past 25 years. That doesn't mean they will be better.

Neither of these statements are really wow gotcha provocative statements to me. I imagine most would agree with with them at face value.

True ... and I did agree at face value. The truth is yet to be seen tho.

Dawgology
05-14-2020, 10:19 AM
It's a good thing the game is played on the field. Otherwise we might as well just give the NC to Bama every at the beginning of each year and call it a season.

FISHDAWG
05-14-2020, 10:28 AM

the 7th most winning coach I'm sure can adapt and probably has had to "change" his system before

PMDawg
05-14-2020, 10:37 AM

Correct. Leach is a great coach, a winning coach. But he's a system coach, and he is going to use his system. Look at the common complaints from TT and WSU fans - he does not change what he does.

Our fans would be well served to prepare themselves for this. I think he's going to win a lot of games here, possibly at a higher clip than he did at TT or WSU. BUT - in the games we lose, we (myself included) will be screaming at him when we lose a game where he went 4 and out from the 1st and goal from the 2 where he called 4 straight passes. It's just who he is. I don't necessarily disagree with Brad except that I don't think that makes Kiffin a better coach.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 10:38 AM
the 7th most winning coach I'm sure can adapt and probably has had to "change" his system before

I'm sure that Leach slightly adjust his system most years to fit his talent, but unless you break out the stat sheets, it's likely tough to tell.

The only reason people give Kiffin so much credit is because Blake Simms was just a different type of QB than Bama had had whereas Leach has always found a QB that could run his system.

My guess is, if the grad transfers were as popular in 2014 as they are in 2020, Simms never would've happened at Bama

Johnson85
05-14-2020, 10:38 AM
I'm bent out of shape because I'm tired of formulas, like FPI & analytics, having no accountability.

For example: if Rosebowl says MSU is going to the Rosebowl & MSU falls far short of that, he has to live with that nickname for decades. His opinion has accountability.

Whereas FPI, Bill Connolly, Brad Edwards, Corona models, etc all get passes because analytics have no accountability. The people who put together a bad formula are never held accountable because they just say it's what the numbers say & thus are thought of as objective, while no one brings up the fact that it was there opinion that created the algorithm that spit out a terrible prediction.

You know which model & analytics are the most accurate? Las Vegas odds makers & do you know why Las Vegas odds makers models are the most accurate? because they have skin in the game & are held accountable based on winning & losing money.

Amazing how much better predictions get when people are held accountable.

Wasn't the Rosebowl not even an option that year but scheduled to be the normal Pac10/Big10 Matchup? I thought that was part of the ridicule, that even if we were in the national championship, it wouldn't have been the Rosebowl.

PMDawg
05-14-2020, 10:40 AM

You said it much better than I did. lol

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2020, 11:02 AM
The only reason people give Kiffin so much credit is because Blake Simms was just a different type of QB than Bama had had

I really don't think that's it. I think it's more in his ability to change philosophies. At TN & USC he was strictly pro style with drop back passers. When he got to Bama he became more spread it out & wide open. Blake Sims then showed he could use a dual threat guy in his spread system not just a passer. He then went to FAU where he had a dynamic runner his 1st 2yrs so he Tailored his offense to be more of a running spread look where he ran almost 70% of the time. This year he didn't have that workhorse RB so he went back to his more natural spread offense like at Bama & he was close to 50/50 run pass & he threw 500 times for almost 4000 yards.

Its really not an argument that Kiffin is more flexible with his play calling. I don't know why you consider that a negative to Leach. We all know that Leach is going to drop back & throw 40-50x a game. He's done it for 20 years.

msstate7
05-14-2020, 11:06 AM
I really don't think that's it. I think it's more in his ability to change philosophies. At TN & USC he was strictly pro style with drop back passers. When he got to Bama he became more spread it out & wide open. Blake Sims then showed he could use a dual threat guy in his spread system not just a passer. He then went to FAU where he had a dynamic runner his 1st 2yrs so he Tailored his offense to be more of a running spread look where he ran almost 70% of the time. This year he didn't have that workhorse RB so he went back to his more natural spread offense like at Bama & he was close to 50/50 run pass & he threw 500 times for almost 4000 yards.

Its really not an argument that Kiffin is more flexible with his play calling. I don't know why you consider that a negative to Leach. We all know that Leach is going to drop back & throw 40-50x a game. He's done it for 20 years.

Shotgun equates saying a coach is better at a couple things to being better overall.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Good post. You changed my mind.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 11:11 AM
Shotgun equates saying a coach is better at a couple things to being better overall.

I actually think you could make an argument that by Leach sticking to his roots, he's able to simplify & get everyone on the same page easier.

Again, as long as you don't have trouble recruiting to your system, then why change

tcdog70
05-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Elmer Fudd could win at Bama---Leach will out coach Lane--no doubt.

msstate7
05-14-2020, 11:27 AM
I actually think you could make an argument that by Leach sticking to his roots, he's able to simplify & get everyone on the same page easier.

Again, as long as you don't have trouble recruiting to your system, then why change

I'm not wanting leach to change. I think brad is talking about both coaches walking into a roster they didn't put together this year though

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2020, 11:28 AM

Yea I don't think that was Brad's point. He was strictly talking about this season. He said that for THIS SEASON that OM May have an edge because Kiffin has proven to be more flexible & he wasn't sure if Leach had the personnel to run his offense well this season. That's an actual concern that MSU fans have too. Will we have the WR's to throw 50x a game or the OL to pass protect 50x a game. Brad like the rest of us know that When he gets his pieces he's going to be successful. Brad even said that but this observation was strictly on the 2020 season & it's a viable concern even if it proves to be not a concern.

Jack Lambert
05-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Bo goes out of his way to be fair & balanced with Ole Miss fans to the point where he makes everything Ole Miss sound good & everything MSU is met with skepticism.

He's an MSU fan, so I know what he's doing. He trying to run a successful business & to do that, he needs both fan bases to listen to his show. You can really tell due to how his sidekick Blake has changed. When Blake first came on the show, he was heavy MSU, but now he acts just like Bo, so you can tell he was coached on how to handle the rivalry to benefit the show.

however, it just comes across in a smug way with MSU. Guests like Steve Robertson & others are forced to defend MSU on the show.

Edwards has a blue blood mindset & still sees MSU as Mittittippii Tate like he did in his childhood. Although, MSU has changed, in Edwards mind, he stills sees it as the same place. He simply doesn't get it.

I cannot stomach listening to Bo.

Covercorner2
05-14-2020, 01:17 PM

"2. Edwards then goes on to say that he think Kiffin will recruit much better than Leach. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?"

What does that have to do with this year? That loses credibility of the whole conversation...

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 01:23 PM
. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?"

Agree. And that doesn't even consider that Leach kept the recruiting staff & Tony Hughes. Perhaps Leach's best move yet

maroonmania
05-14-2020, 08:07 PM

Pretty sure you are correct. Elmer Fudd>Mike Shula>Mike Dubose, and Shula and Dubose both had big winning years at Bama. So I'm pretty sure Coach Fudd could as well.

R2Dawg
05-14-2020, 08:11 PM

Is Bo an MSU fan, really? I've only listened a few times and he looks down his nose at MSU kinda like Finebaum. But again I have not listened to him much.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Is Bo an MSU fan, really? I've only listened a few times and he looks down his nose at MSU kinda like Finebaum. But again I have not listened to him much.

He is. He's an MSU season ticket holder and in an effort to sound unbiased and draw Ole Miss, LSU, and Bama fans to his show, he goes over the top against MSU while building up the others.

It's sad because Bo could do more to help MSU but instead chooses to degrade MSU.

You never know who's listening and likes another school better because they only hear negatives about MSU.

It's why I mostly listen to Wyatt now. Matt does a great job and has really grown as a radio personality. He pumps MSU or is at least fair.

My issue with Bo is that he consistently bets against MSU on the radio. Bets against the program maintaining, recruiting, etc. it's tiresome.

MedDawg
05-15-2020, 03:39 PM

He doesn't have to change his system to fit talent. He gets the talent out of who he has, and he's been in the Top 5 in passing nearly every year with several low-rated QBs. Last year at Washington State Anthony Gordon last year passed for over 5,500 yards and he was UNRATED as a recruit. Not even a 2-star.

As a HS recruit, KJ Costello was rated better than any player Leach ever had at Texas Tech and Washington State. State has as many 4-star wide receivers right now as Leach had at any one time at Washington State, too. And we already know that State typically has as good RBs as Leach had at those schools, and definitely has one in Kylin Hill.

The best part is Leach at MSU should have better defenses than he had at either WSU or TT. His entire time at Washington State Leach had ONE 4-star on defense. State has 9 4-stars on defense right now.

MedDawg
05-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Our fans would be well served to prepare themselves for this. I think he's going to win a lot of games here, possibly at a higher clip than he did at TT or WSU. BUT - in the games we lose, we (myself included) will be screaming at him when we lose a game where he went 4 and out from the 1st and goal from the 2 where he called 4 straight passes.

Moorhead prepared us for that.

ShotgunDawg
05-15-2020, 05:34 PM

So did Mullen. They all do.

Just give me a chance to win big.

dawgday166
05-15-2020, 07:06 PM

I take it you mean the screaming part cause we didn't get to the opponent's 2 yd line very often.