PDA

View Full Version : Florida Fans Getting Restless...

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2020, 11:03 AM
I bet Tennessee's recruiting is eating them up right now.

It's interesting how the same general issues that Mullen had at MSU are now manifesting themselves at Florida. Only difference is that Florida has a step higher base of recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Mullen isn't getting rid of his core guys unless Stricklin & the boosters force him to. In his eyes coaching/teaching >>> recruiting & his staffs have always reflected that.

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Mullen isn't getting rid of his core guys unless Stricklin & the boosters force him to. In his eyes coaching/teaching >>> recruiting & his staffs have always reflected that.

I think he ends up in the NFL or at a place like Notre Dame or Stanford before it's all said & done. Seems like the right fit. Mullen would be killer in the PAC 12 or Big 12 where super crooters don't exist. I could actually see him going to Texas once they fire Herman.

While his recruiting has been better at Florida than MSU, I think it's mostly just a symptom of more in-state talent & a bigger brand. Not necessarily that Mullen or his staff has gotten any better at recruiting.

Todd4State
05-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Thing is he can not manage a roster still. Having one running back or whatever it is will catch up to them and that's a major issue in a run first offense. He just doesn't get it when it comes to recruiting. At all.

R2Dawg
05-11-2020, 12:03 PM
I think he ends up in the NFL or at a place like Notre Dame or Stanford before it's all said & done. Seems like the right fit. Mullen would be killer in the PAC 12 or Big 12 where super crooters don't exist. I could actually see him going to Texas once they fire Herman.

While his recruiting has been better at Florida than MSU, I think it's mostly just a symptom of more in-state talent & a bigger brand. Not necessarily that Mullen or his staff has gotten any better at recruiting.

Yeah I can see that. If you are not going to recruit well in FL, and you do it your way, you better win big.

Hot Rock
05-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Average of 6th rated class the past four years? See link below at 6th. Florida one of just a few teams that are on the outside looking in eyeing the prize. They are in a waaaaaay better position than TN. Will they win a championship? I don't know but guys we do have to remember that they have a total of three titles in 120 years. They better be just a little bit patient and only pull the trigger to get rid of Mullen after a really good run to let him find out.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Average of 6th rated class the past four years? See link below at 6th. Florida one of just a few teams that are on the outside looking in eyeing the prize. They are in a waaaaaay better position than TN. Will they win a championship? I don't know but guys we do have to remember that they have a total of three titles in 120 years. They better be just a little bit patient and only pull the trigger to get rid of Mullen after a really good run to let him find out.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

This is a big year for Mullen. If he goes 0/3 against Kirby that won't be a good look. He will begin to get the Mark Richt tag & that's not a positive for Mullen.

Cooterpoot
05-11-2020, 12:56 PM
When teaching is so much a part of your program, this virus issue is going to hurt more.

Bothrops
05-11-2020, 01:19 PM
When teaching is so much a part of your program, this virus issue is going to hurt more.

This needs to be noted.^^^

BB30
05-11-2020, 01:26 PM
He just about took us to a playoff. I have no doubts he will have UF knocking on the door soon. All he needed to do was improve his recruiting just a bit. Being at UF solved that issue for him. He can apply the same effort that he did here in recruiting and still finish with significantly better classes.

All he was missing while here was one or two studs at certain positions. He is going to get those one or two extra players needed at UF.

They are set to have a pretty solid season this year. I believe years 4 and 5 for him at UF will have the potential to be competing for a play-off spot.

I personally think he played a much more significant role in the success UF had while Urban was there than most will admit.

msu15
05-11-2020, 01:52 PM
He just about took us to a playoff. I have no doubts he will have UF knocking on the door soon. All he needed to do was improve his recruiting just a bit. Being at UF solved that issue for him. He can apply the same effort that he did here in recruiting and still finish with significantly better classes.

All he was missing while here was one or two studs at certain positions. He is going to get those one or two extra players needed at UF.

They are set to have a pretty solid season this year. I believe years 4 and 5 for him at UF will have the potential to be competing for a play-off spot.

I personally think he played a much more significant role in the success UF had while Urban was there than most will admit.

Your post makes it seem like he just got hired at a Florida. This is year 3.

Turfdawg67
05-11-2020, 02:06 PM
This is a big year for Mullen. If he goes 0/3 against Kirby that won't be a good look. He will begin to get the Mark Richt tag & that's not a positive for Mullen.

Agreed. The grumbling has already started about him not beating Kirby. If he loses again in 2020, he'll officially be on the hot seat (at least with the fans). I think that'll be 0-10 vs a Kirby D... and Kirby likes beating Mullen too. There's no love loss there.

thf24
05-11-2020, 02:26 PM

On average, he recruited well here (much better than many give him credit for), and he's doing the same at UF. His specific issue here that's continuing to show up there is his inability and/or refusal to adjust or compromise as the situation dictates to land the best possible talent at positions of critical need. It kept him from getting over the top despite having some very good teams here, and it could easily result in the same there. Those holes tend to show up in key moments against the best teams.

BB30
05-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Your post makes it seem like he just got hired at a Florida. This is year 3.

What makes it seem like he just got hired? He has done pretty good in his first two years there. Simply stating that I think he will have them in the playoffs in next 2-3 years.

Dude is a hell of a coach and gets results. People can say what they want about him but you can't deny that he is a top 10 coach, potentially top 5 in CFB.

I know a lot of our fans are salty with how things went the last couple of seasons and leaving us like he did but he did more here than anybody else has. He also left us with a pretty solid roster and base to continue to build our program. He built our program the right way and thanks to that it looks like we will be able to survive a terrible follow up hire.

BB30
05-11-2020, 02:59 PM
On average, he recruited well here (much better than many give him credit for), and he's doing the same at UF. His specific issue here that's continuing to show up there is his inability and/or refusal to adjust or compromise as the situation dictates to land the best possible talent at positions of critical need. It kept him from getting over the top despite having some very good teams here, and it could easily result in the same there. Those holes tend to show up in key moments against the best teams.

That is a good point but it won't be as noticeable IMO at UF.

I mean their RB room doesn't look to be awful unless I am missing something?

2- Sophomores and a RSF. two of them being 4 stars and one a high 3

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2020, 04:19 PM
That is a good point but it won't be as noticeable IMO at UF.

I mean their RB room doesn't look to be awful unless I am missing something?

2- Sophomores and a RSF. two of them being 4 stars and one a high 3

When your competition for the SEC (UGA & Bama) are recruiting in the Top 3 it's noticeable. Also if TN start consistently recruiting Top 5-7 it looks even worse.

Jack Lambert
05-11-2020, 04:21 PM
Wait until they realize Mullen can't win the East and Georgia is his new Alabama.

sandwolf
05-11-2020, 04:49 PM
In his first two years, he has won 21 total games, won two NY6 games, and finished in the top 7 twice....and keep in mind that Florida won 4 games the year before his arrival.

His last two signing classes have been top 10 and his current class is ranked 6th (and has a higher average rating than UT's). And I expect his recruiting to improve as the HS coaches in the area get to know him and get used to his personality....that's what seemed to happen here.

All that to say, I think some of you that are waiting for Mullen to fail at Florida are going to wind up being sorely disappointed. The guy is a damn good football coach, and I expect him to win big down there before it is all said and done.

ShotgunDawg
05-11-2020, 05:10 PM
In his first two years, he has won 21 total games, won two NY6 games, and finished in the top 7 twice....and keep in mind that Florida won 4 games the year before his arrival.

His last two signing classes have been top 10 and his current class is ranked 6th (and has a higher average rating than UT's). And I expect his recruiting to improve as the HS coaches in the area get to know him and get used to his personality....that's what seemed to happen here.

All that to say, I think some of you that are waiting for Mullen to fail at Florida are going to wind up being sorely disappointed. The guy is a damn good football coach, and I expect him to win big down there before it is all said and done.

I don't think he'll fail. He's too good of a coach to fail.

However, I do believe he'll hit a plateau that he'll be unable to overcome & that'll lead to grumbling from the locals that will eventually piss him off enough that he'll leave for Notre Dame, Stanford, or someone else that can win & get to the playoff without the need of being a super crooter.

BrunswickDawg
05-11-2020, 05:11 PM

It's not necessarily about Mullen failing as much as it is that the batshit crazy UF fans have insane expectations. If they are not winning titles, the become disgruntled fast. Urban had two nattys and they were ready to run him out after 2011; Muschamp won the East and they hated him; Mac won the East twice and they hated him more. All it would take is a loss at Tennessee to start unraveling things. It's also just a matter of time before a group of UF players do something stupid and get suspended.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2020, 05:24 PM

I can't speak for anyone else but I can't care less on how mullen does. Yes he had 2 Top 10 classes but the 2018 class had 4 4* who didn't enroll or left before their 1st spring was over. The 2019 class has already seen their top OL signee already leave & transfer to Miami. So those Top 10 classes have already taken hits. 5 4* players who never suited up for Florida.

I think we all expect Mullen to do well. He's a very good coach but to get over the UGA & then Bama/LSU hump he needs to be great because those programs are recruiting at elite levels. Mullen is recruiting at a very good level. Again if he loses to UGA this year the fans will become restless. This is supposed to be their year. They have a Sr QB & UGA has a transfer QB from Wake Forest. If they don't beat UGA & don't make it to Atlanta combined with their underachieving recruiting (Florida fans words not mine) then yes no matter if he wins 10-11 games they're not going to be happy.

Todd4State
05-11-2020, 05:30 PM

When your competition for the SEC (UGA & Bama) are recruiting in the Top 3 it's noticeable. Also if TN start consistently recruiting Top 5-7 it looks even worse.

It's not necessarily about Mullen failing as much as it is that the batshit crazy UF fans have insane expectations. If they are not winning titles, the become disgruntled fast. Urban had two nattys and they were ready to run him out after 2011; Muschamp won the East and they hated him; Mac won the East twice and they hated him more. All it would take is a loss at Tennessee to start unraveling things. It's also just a matter of time before a group of UF players do something stupid and get suspended.

All of these are true.

There are some parallels between Dan's time here and at Florida- the first two years here he was "True Maroon"- after that it was look for the best shiny toy possible. We'll see what happens in year three for him.

The thing about Florida fans is they should expect to compete for National Titles. Nice 8-10 win seasons aren't good enough there and they shouldn't be. They've won National Titles recently.

trojandawg
05-12-2020, 01:55 AM
They are complaingin about running back? That's the one area where dan never did have much trouble with developing outside of maybe one or two years at MSU. And we still had great rushing numbers. The running game would be the least of my worries with his track record or running qbs and running backs at MSU. I think once the younger classmen get older he will start rolling once his development system is in full swing. He isn't looking to get out every couple of years like he was here. He is the best in the business at developing what he has. And his talent level there is already higher there by default. He has had two ten when seasons in his first two years. And he is taking what he was left and won with it. Once he gets his system going he will be fine. Kirby is showing he can recruit but he is having problems finishing those seasons off and it's been some coaching issues. Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 06:49 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but I can't care less on how mullen does. Yes he had 2 Top 10 classes but the 2018 class had 4 4* who didn't enroll or left before their 1st spring was over. The 2019 class has already seen their top OL signee already leave & transfer to Miami. So those Top 10 classes have already taken hits. 5 4* players who never suited up for Florida.

I think we all expect Mullen to do well. He's a very good coach but to get over the UGA & then Bama/LSU hump he needs to be great because those programs are recruiting at elite levels. Mullen is recruiting at a very good level. Again if he loses to UGA this year the fans will become restless. This is supposed to be their year. They have a Sr QB & UGA has a transfer QB from Wake Forest. If they don't beat UGA & don't make it to Atlanta combined with their underachieving recruiting (Florida fans words not mine) then yes no matter if he wins 10-11 games they're not going to be happy.

Well to be fair, that transfer from wake is a better QB than trask. That said, this is Mullen's best shot so far imo

dawgday166
05-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Agree mostly with this. Mullen is a top tier coach from a coaching/development standpoint. I figure tho he'll be back and forth with Ogre cause he's a better coach and Ogre needs to keep top tier coordinators in house. Mullen is also confident when he faces Ogre.

Kirby/Saban know how to defend Mullen and also Mullen still has mental block against those two. Main thing there is Mullen has to get past that mental block. Not saying he'll ever get on roll against them, but figure eventually he'll get Kirby and then maybe Saban too. Saban's coordinator turnover is having an impact some too. Right now tho, Mullen not confident when facing those two ... he tightens up too much when playing them.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2020, 07:18 AM
They are complaingin about running back? That's the one area where dan never did have much trouble with developing outside of maybe one or two years at MSU. And we still had great rushing numbers. The running game would be the least of my worries with his track record or running qbs and running backs at MSU. I think once the younger classmen get older he will start rolling once his development system is in full swing. He isn't looking to get out every couple of years like he was here. He is the best in the business at developing what he has. And his talent level there is already higher there by default. He has had two ten when seasons in his first two years. And he is taking what he was left and won with it. Once he gets his system going he will be fine. Kirby is showing he can recruit but he is having problems finishing those seasons off and it's been some coaching issues. Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.

Thing is - UF has not been that good at RB over the past 15 years. They have had only 2 1,000 yard RBs since Urban landed in Gainesville. Some of that is scheme related, but most of that is that they haven't been attracting backs that can pound the ball.
UF fans look at the success MSU had with the running game under Dan and think just having Dan there meant that they would automatically run better and it hasn't worked that way.

Mullen arguably did his best coaching job ever last season - losing Franks made him completely change the way they were approaching last season. Say what you will about Franks (I know a lot think he sucks), but the guy had completed 76% of his passes thru 3 games, and was a much better runner than Trask. Mullen had to adapt on the fly and was slinging it 35 times a game. It was not a typical Dan Mullen offense last year and they still won 11 games.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-12-2020, 07:30 AM
Well to be fair, that transfer from wake is a better AB than trade. That said, this is Mullen's best shot so far imo

I don't disagree but that's not how Florida fans are going to see it.

PGHBulldogBG
05-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Newman became a really good QB mostly because of Clawsons development. Call me crazy but I think Clawson is a better developer than Smart. That could turn into a bad situation if Smart tries to run a different system. What Clawson has done at Wake Forest with recruiting classes at practically Sun Belt level is amazing. I wouldn?t want to see Clawson in the SEC

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 08:36 AM
Say what you will about Franks (I know a lot think he sucks), but the guy had completed 76% of his passes thru 3 games, and was a much better runner than Trask. Mullen had to adapt on the fly and was slinging it 35 times a game. It was not a typical Dan Mullen offense last year and they still won 11 games.

Franks sucks. He's never had a 300 yard passing game. people keep throwing out the 76% completion % but that's meaningless without context. When you watch him with your eyes, he stinks

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Call me crazy but I think Clawson is a better developer than Smart.

Why is this crazy?

It's a completely accurate & obvious statement. Smart will take the air out of the balloon with any QB he has.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Franks sucks. He's never had a 300 yard passing game. people keep throwing out the 76% completion % but that's meaningless without context. When you watch him with your eyes, he stinks

You get mad bc he threw out a "meaningless (stat) without context", but preceded that with a meaningless stat in the 300-yard passing game deal.

trojandawg
05-12-2020, 08:44 AM
He always had a knack for adapting well outside of 2016 season. He didn't flip to the Relf coast offense fast enough after having dak 2015 season where we slung it around more. Seems like he is running more of that at Florida because that's the personnel he has. I think once Jones is a Senior their rushing numbers will be up in the top of the league.

Cooterpoot
05-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Ideally, Dan would be an NFL coach. But, he'd have to get away from his system & Im not sure he could pull a good staff together. He's making bank and I bet he gets out of coaching early.

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 08:54 AM
Its amazing to me how much fans put into recruiting versus on the field results. Let me be clear, I completely understand it and partially agree with it, but the guy is 21-5 in his first two years with two top 10 finishes and 11-5 in the SEC while only losing to UGA by 7 and then losing to LSU in Baton Rouge by 14 (it was a one score game in 4th quarter)

You would think they would be happy. It reminds me of AU fans the first year Saban beat Tubby. Even though Tubby was like 6-1 against Bama in the prior 7 years he was getting decimated on the recruiting front and the AU people wanted him gone.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 09:04 AM
You get mad bc he threw out a "meaningless (stat) without context", but preceded that with a meaningless stat in the 300-yard passing game deal.

I'm just saying that stop cherry picking stats & watch the player. Franks stinks. Whatever stats he put up were basically because catered to whatever he did decently

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2020, 09:22 AM

It's hilarious that you focus on that vs. what the actual point of the post was.
Franks was playing very good football when he got hurt last year, and had separated himself from Trask and Emory Jones (who I believe you have clamored on about how awesome he is a number of times). I never made a claim that Franks was some awesome QB or Tim Tebow re-incarnated. He was doing what was required in a Mullen offense - hitting his passes, making the runs when needed, and winning. Him getting hurt could have easily derailed the season by going to a QB who hadn't started a game since his Freshman year in High School. Mullen did an excellent job of adapting on the fly and winning 11 games.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2020, 09:24 AM
I'm just saying that stop cherry picking stats & watch the player. Franks stinks. Whatever stats he put up were basically because catered to whatever he did decently

L-O-F'n-L - Haven't you spent the last 2 years on this board bitching about JoMo not tailoring things to what his players do best?? So Dan took another shit QB and made him productive.

StateDawg44
05-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Whatever props up his current opinion is all that matters.

He knows front office folks*** :eyeroll

1bigdawg
05-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.

Mac got two East championships in his ONLY two full seasons and still got run out of town on a rail. I do think Mullen has a little more leeway because that is Stricklin's nature.

StateDawg44
05-12-2020, 10:37 AM
Mac got two East championships in his ONLY two full seasons and still got run out of town on a rail. I do think Mullen has a little more leeway because that is Stricklin's nature.

Every team in the East sucked worse than they do now when Mac was there. UGA was not near the threat they are now. Others have improved but that was a very low point for the SEC East.

We would've won the East multiple times if we were in that division during Mac's tenure.

It's not a fair comparison.

BB30
05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Knowing what Dan did here, if UF fans will give him time he will win big there. If he was able to be in the running for a championship appearance here in the West during its prime he will without a doubt be able to do it there. If UF fans will give him the time he needs to do it. It takes more time his way but he builds a much better foundation doing it the way that he does. Our program was in the best shape it has ever been in when he left.

It was the first time I can remember a coach leaving us in a better situation than he found it.

msstatelp1
05-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Its amazing to me how much fans put into recruiting versus on the field results. Let me be clear, I completely understand it and partially agree with it, but the guy is 21-5 in his first two years with two top 10 finishes and 11-5 in the SEC while only losing to UGA by 7 and then losing to LSU in Baton Rouge by 14 (it was a one score game in 4th quarter)

You would think they would be happy. It reminds me of AU fans the first year Saban beat Tubby. Even though Tubby was like 6-1 against Bama in the prior 7 years he was getting decimated on the recruiting front and the AU people wanted him gone.

Florida hired Mullen to win championships. If he doesn't make it to the SEC championship game this year I think his seat gets screaming hot. Add in the not happy about recruiting crowd and he could be on the chopping block next season.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Florida hired Mullen to win championships. If he doesn't make it to the SEC championship game this year I think his seat gets screaming hot. Add in the not happy about recruiting crowd and he could be on the chopping block next season.

They'd be dumb if they fired Mullen after another NY6 bowl. This is a dumb fanbase though... run off urban for not running a pro style offense

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 11:35 AM
They'd be dumb if they fired Mullen after another NY6 bowl. This is a dumb fanbase though... run off urban for not running a pro style offense

That is BS - Urban quit because he saw the Saban train coming and he doesn't like to lose.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 11:40 AM
That is BS - Urban quit because he saw the Saban train coming and he doesn't like to lose.

Urban is 2-1 vs saban in championship/playoff games

FISHDAWG
05-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Knowing what Dan did here, if UF fans will give him time he will win big there. If he was able to be in the running for a championship appearance here in the West during its prime he will without a doubt be able to do it there. If UF fans will give him the time he needs to do it. It takes more time his way but he builds a much better foundation doing it the way that he does. Our program was in the best shape it has ever been in when he left.

It was the first time I can remember a coach leaving us in a better situation than he found it.

no doubt Mullen was and is a good coach but at some point he's gonna have to win a BIG game ... 2014 was our best chance after beating top ten ranked Auburn, aTm, and LSU - we expected to probably lose to Bama ... but if we had only beaten a mediocre OM team we might have remained in the play-off ....... as many chances as he had I never saw it happen - maybe, just maybe LSU in 14

Ifyouonlyknew
05-12-2020, 01:04 PM

I don't think they're dumb enough to fire Dan. However they hired him to be Urban Meyer 2.0 not Mark Richt 2.0. That's why this season is so huge for him. This may be his best chance in the next 2-3 years. You lose this year & go 0-3 vs Kirby then no matter how many 10 win seasons he's going to have that stain on him. Like you said the Florida fan base isn't a patient one.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 01:10 PM
I don't think they're dumb enough to fire Dan. However they hired him to be Urban Meyer 2.0 not Mark Richt 2.0. That's why this season is so huge for him. This may be his best chance in the next 2-3 years. You lose this year & go 0-3 vs Kirby then no matter how many 10 win seasons he's going to have that stain on him. Like you said the Florida fan base isn't a patient one.

Correct. I don't think they'd actually fire Dan unless this went on for a decade or more like it did for Richt. However, if Dan starts feeling the heat, I could totally see him bolt for Texas, Stanford, USC, or Notre Dame where he wouldn't have to face super recruiters

If Dan doesn't win the SEC East this year & USC &/or Texas fires Helton/Herman, I think you could see him bolt. The writing will be on the wall

R2Dawg
05-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Correct. I don't think they'd actually fire Dan unless this went on for a decade or more like it did for Richt. However, if Dan starts feeling the heat, I could totally see him bolt for Texas, Stanford, USC, or Notre Dame where he wouldn't have to face super recruiters

If Dan doesn't win the SEC East this year & USC &/or Texas fires Helton/Herman, I think you could see him bolt. The writing will be on the wall

IDK, they did fire a coach that went to two straight SEC Champ games. If they don't beat UGA soon and go to SECCG, Dan will be gone one way or another - leave on his own or be forced out.

Tripp McNeely
05-12-2020, 02:04 PM
https://247sports.com/college/florida/board/14/Contents/breaking-uf-lands-commitment-from-ot-adrein-strickland--147062441/

SheltonChoked
05-12-2020, 02:15 PM

No way Mullen goes to Texas. WAY too many huge money oil men that want to call plays in a game for Mullen.

FISHDAWG
05-12-2020, 02:22 PM
https://247sports.com/college/florida/board/14/Contents/breaking-uf-lands-commitment-from-ot-adrein-strickland--147062441/

that's hilarious .... "Hev is gonna Hev" .... I see the Hevesy consternation is contagious

FISHDAWG
05-12-2020, 02:23 PM
No way Mullen goes to Texas. WAY too many huge money oil men that want to call plays in a game for Mullen.

yep ... and their cigars are bigger than ours

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 02:24 PM

He lost to Saban in 2009, he was 4-4 in the SEC in 2010 and realized that his dominance was over. He lost a great OC to us, and his recruiting was falling off because Saban was beating the brakes off him on the recruiting trail.

He saw the writing on the wall and ran like the wind to an easier path to the title which is what he ended up doing at Ohio State.

He couldn't handle that Saban smoke.

Homedawg
05-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Let's not let simple facts in this....

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 02:28 PM

I agree with all of that. I think Dan will realize that he really left a place that was perfect for him. We don't have unrealistic recruiting expectations. We care about the product on the field. He is great at developing talent and making them fit his system. He doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks about recruits.

All of that works at an under the radar P5 school. It doesn't work at a school that thinks back to back top 10 finishes are something to be pissed about.

Now he is such a good coach that it may not cost him, but I just think he will look back and realize what a huge mistake it was to leave a school that fit his coaching/recruiting/personality to a T.

Homedawg
05-12-2020, 02:29 PM
I don't know how patient they will be. But I think they win the East before it matters.....

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Let's not let simple facts in this....

You think Meyer left Florida for health reasons? That was the original post I was responding to. There was zero pressure at Florida for him to leave. He left because he knew that he had gotten his ass kicked on the recruiting trail and the next few years at Florida were going to be rough and he simply isn't built for that.

They went 3-5 in the SEC in 2011. No coincidence that Saban and Bama were rolling through the next season at Florida. They proceeded to destroy Florida.

I think Meyer was an absolute coward and knew that his run at Florida was over and instead of getting worked the next few years - he decided to retire due to his health and to spend more time with his family. He proceeded to work at ESPN and less than 12 months after his last game at Florida - he took the Ohio State job.

A job that proved much easier.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 02:37 PM
He lost to Saban in 2009, he was 4-4 in the SEC in 2010 and realized that his dominance was over. He lost a great OC to us, and his recruiting was falling off because Saban was beating the brakes off him on the recruiting trail.

He saw the writing on the wall and ran like the wind to an easier path to the title which is what he ended up doing at Ohio State.

He couldn't handle that Saban smoke.

He was cam newton stealing a vcr (or whatever) from rolling on just fine.

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 02:41 PM
He was cam newton stealing a vcr (or whatever) from rolling on just fine.

Saban survived Cam just fine.

That is my point though, if he had kept Cam, he probably stays because he figured he could compete. That is the point, the guy is a front runner - and he saw the writing on the wall with no Cam and a pretty bare roster in 2011 that went 3-5 in the SEC and barely beat vandy.

msstate7
05-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Saban survived Cam just fine.

That is my point though, if he had kept Cam, he probably stays because he figured he could compete. That is the point, the guy is a front runner - and he saw the writing on the wall with no Cam and a pretty bare roster in 2011 that went 3-5 in the SEC and barely beat vandy.

He's won 3 natties (2 different schools) and went undefeated at Utah. Urban Meyer is one of the greatest of all time, and you don't get ghat status being a punk. You're letting personal feelings cloud judgement. He's 187-32 (.854) all time

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 03:00 PM
He's won 3 natties (2 different schools) and went undefeated at Utah. Urban Meyer is one of the greatest of all time, and you don't get ghat status being a punk. You're letting personal feelings cloud judgement. He's 187-32 (.854) all time

He is a great coach without question. An all timer. That isn't the debate. The debate was that Florida fans were giving him heat - that simply wasn't true. He left on his own accord on a made up reason of wanting to spend more time with his family and his health.

The reason he is successful is his extreme desire to win. He is also extremely accurate in assessing his team's own talent.

He was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He got the hell out of Florida and moved to a much easier situation to win games and have a chance at winning a national title. It was the smart move. Without question it was the smart move - that is what smart coaches do.

Hell Saban realized he wasn't going to win at the Dolphins because he couldn't outscheme other NFL coaches. His brilliance is recruiting. He is the best recruiter in history. Once he realized he couldn't out recruit other NFL teams - he got the **** out of dodge. Meyer realized the same thing at Florida - that is what great coaches do, they are brutally honest about their talent level and act accordingly. Meyer and Saban are two of the all time greats because of this trait.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2020, 03:04 PM
You think Meyer left Florida for health reasons? That was the original post I was responding to. There was zero pressure at Florida for him to leave. He left because he knew that he had gotten his ass kicked on the recruiting trail and the next few years at Florida were going to be rough and he simply isn't built for that.

They went 3-5 in the SEC in 2011. No coincidence that Saban and Bama were rolling through the next season at Florida. They proceeded to destroy Florida.

I think Meyer was an absolute coward and knew that his run at Florida was over and instead of getting worked the next few years - he decided to retire due to his health and to spend more time with his family. He proceeded to work at ESPN and less than 12 months after his last game at Florida - he took the Ohio State job.

Urban's post-game press conference when we beat them in the Swamp in '10 is when I knew he was done. There is a pause about 15 seconds in where it's quiet and you can hear our fans chanting "Maroon, White", and Urban just hangs his head, gulps, and then starts again. He knew the SEC had him figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfAhAn_fttU

msstate7
05-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Urban's post-game press conference when we beat them in the Swamp in '10 is when I knew he was done. There is a pause about 15 seconds in where it's quiet and you can hear our fans chanting "Maroon, White", and Urban just hangs his head, gulps, and then starts again. He knew the SEC had him figured out.

Figured him out? He ran thru Bama in 2014 for his 3rd natty with saban having a month to go over the blueprint to Meyer we established (lmao)

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Ideally, Dan would be an NFL coach. But, he'd have to get away from his system & Im not sure he could pull a good staff together. He's making bank and I bet he gets out of coaching early.

I agree. Dan has too many hobbies (and too much loyalty to certain country club offensive coaches) that get in his way of being an elite coach, which Florida expects. Eventually, Mullen and Florida will get tired of each other and he will move on. I could see him making a run at the NFL, but he knows what kind of liability those coaches would be in the league.

Regardless, he already has more money than he and Megan could spend in a lifetime, so he may just retire.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Figured him out? He ran thru Bama in 2014 for his 3rd natty with saban having a month to go over the blueprint to Meyer we established (lmao)

Yes - I think at the time the SEC had him figured out. They had chipped away at his recruiting. They had chipped away at his staff, and he was not adapting to having the target on his back week in and week out that you have in the SEC.
That being said, Meyer adapted - and that is what can make a coach elite. He took a year off, and started running an SEC program in a conference that isn't as competitive week in and week out.

HancockCountyDog
05-12-2020, 03:56 PM

You are missing the point. No one is questioning that he is a great gameday coach.

By leaving for Ohio State he was able to not have to recruit against the greatest recruiter of my lifetime except for a very small number of players. He was able to play maybe 1 or 2 tough games the entire season and gear up for a playoff run.

He was 54-4 in the big 10. Imagine only having to play at most 2 tough games before the playoffs at a power house program like Ohio State.

He knew Florida didn't have the talent in the pipeline to have the success he was used to. They went 3-5 in 2011 and 3-5 in 2013 in the SEC. He might have faked a stroke as opposed to a heart attack if that had happened.

dawgday166
05-12-2020, 04:11 PM
He is a great coach without question. An all timer. That isn't the debate. The debate was that Florida fans were giving him heat - that simply wasn't true. He left on his own accord on a made up reason of wanting to spend more time with his family and his health.

The reason he is successful is his extreme desire to win. He is also extremely accurate in assessing his team's own talent.

He was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He got the hell out of Florida and moved to a much easier situation to win games and have a chance at winning a national title. It was the smart move. Without question it was the smart move - that is what smart coaches do.

Hell Saban realized he wasn't going to win at the Dolphins because he couldn't outscheme other NFL coaches. His brilliance is recruiting. He is the best recruiter in history. Once he realized he couldn't out recruit other NFL teams - he got the **** out of dodge. Meyer realized the same thing at Florida - that is what great coaches do, they are brutally honest about their talent level and act accordingly. Meyer and Saban are two of the all time greats because of this trait.

Are you saying Meyer can't recruit? I mean he may not recruit like Saban does at Bama but ... I think he recruits pretty well.

SheltonChoked
05-12-2020, 04:27 PM
yep ... and their cigars are bigger than ours

Not sure how Mullen would get along with red McCombs (Donated over $100million to UT)....https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10257706/booster-red-mccombs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Homedawg
05-12-2020, 07:09 PM

I think he left Bc he was burned out at the time. He'd won 2 titles. He needed a breath and waited for the next big job. If you think he left Bc he was scared you don't understand egos of big time coaches. And urban is big time. Argue if you must.

Todd4State
05-13-2020, 01:00 AM
I think he left Bc he was burned out at the time. He'd won 2 titles. He needed a breath and waited for the next big job. If you think he left Bc he was scared you don't understand egos of big time coaches. And urban is big time. Argue if you must.

I agree. I think Meyer invests a lot into his team and program and he basically burned himself out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up at South Carolina next year based on their hiring history if Meyer wants to do it.

Todd4State
05-13-2020, 01:05 AM

Hijack- Beating Florida in Gainesville in 2010 was a very underrated win for MSU and one of Dan's biggest wins at MSU.

dawgday166
05-13-2020, 04:05 AM
I agree. I think Meyer invests a lot into his team and program and he basically burned himself out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up at South Carolina next year based on their hiring history if Meyer wants to do it.

I would imagine he waiting on Southern Cal to open up. Go out west and dominate the PAC-12. CFP bound every year.

FISHDAWG
05-13-2020, 07:02 AM
You are missing the point. No one is questioning that he is a great gameday coach.

By leaving for Ohio State he was able to not have to recruit against the greatest recruiter of my lifetime except for a very small number of players. He was able to play maybe 1 or 2 tough games the entire season and gear up for a playoff run.

He was 54-4 in the big 10. Imagine only having to play at most 2 tough games before the playoffs at a power house program like Ohio State.

He knew Florida didn't have the talent in the pipeline to have the success he was used to. They went 3-5 in 2011 and 3-5 in 2013 in the SEC. He might have faked a stroke as opposed to a heart attack if that had happened.

he didn't leave for Ohio State ... he just left

BrunswickDawg
05-13-2020, 07:33 AM
Hijack- Beating Florida in Gainesville in 2010 was a very underrated win for MSU and one of Dan's biggest wins at MSU.

It really is under rated. That was the most fun I've ever had at an away game too. UF fans were absolutely shell shocked at the end of the game. And our fans after the game were ridiculously loud (as evidenced by the video). I was sitting on the 50 yard line about 3 rows up behind the UF bench (my cousin is a UF alum/season ticket holder), and the band cranked up into the Hey song and it was like the place just exploded. That "Maroon/White" chant was echoing thru an empty Swamp.

That 2010 team was tough, talented, and overcame some real adversity with the loss of Nick Bell. They will always be one of my favorite MSU teams.

BB30
05-13-2020, 01:24 PM
It really is under rated. That was the most fun I've ever had at an away game too. UF fans were absolutely shell shocked at the end of the game. And our fans after the game were ridiculously loud (as evidenced by the video). I was sitting on the 50 yard line about 3 rows up behind the UF bench (my cousin is a UF alum/season ticket holder), and the band cranked up into the Hey song and it was like the place just exploded. That "Maroon/White" chant was echoing thru an empty Swamp.

That 2010 team was tough, talented, and overcame some real adversity with the loss of Nick Bell. They will always be one of my favorite MSU teams.

Mine too they were as tough nosed as it gets. I loved the offense that year. Both sides of the ball just pounded on people. That Arky game was one of the most emotional games I've ever witnessed at Davis Wade. That was a fun season and was capped off with an awesome bowl trip. Looking back we really did have some awesome years under Mullen with a lot of big games. I know a lot of state fans are still salty over how he left etc. But he did a lot for our university and the city of Starkville.

Starkville would look a lot different had we followed up the croom hire with another bust.