PDA

View Full Version : Well at least there's basketb.... uh, baseball.

MadDawg
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM

C222
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Sweet...another year of MadDawg's anti-basketball posts! Can't wait!

MadDawg
11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry. I'll get with the program. It's still anti-football season.

MarketingBully01
11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Haha, good one!

DawgInMemphis
11-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Guys that follow baseball closely, do you think we'll be better this year than last?

Of course I'm not equating better to being able to win the CWS, but rather improving our overall talent level. From a distance it seems that our pitching and defense will be improved, but our offense may not be as good as last year.

It_Could_Happen
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Majority of what I'm hearing on campus is:

1. Overall you will see lots of improvement

2. No post game outside of Gavin Ware.

3. No Depth

4. Applewhite could end up being very very good.

C222
11-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry. I'll get with the program. It's still anti-football season.

Remember when you thought Cohen was clueless and a terrible coach? That was fun too.

Ronny
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Guys that follow baseball closely, do you think we'll be better this year than last?

Of course I'm not equating better to being able to win the CWS, but rather improving our overall talent level. From a distance it seems that our pitching and defense will be improved, but our offense may not be as good as last year.

Many of our best players return.

But you know how it works with baseball: Last year's national sweetheart Vanderbilt got kocked out their own super regional by Louisville. And Vandy was picked by many to win it all.

This shows no matter how much talent you have, if you hit a slump post season then it doesn't matter: You are finished.

DawgInMemphis
11-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Majority of what I'm hearing on campus is:

1. Overall you will see lots of improvement

2. No post game outside of Gavin Ware.

3. No Depth

4. Applewhite could end up being very very good.

I hope Applewhite turns out to be a diamond in the rough. A lot of the folks around here were saying he wasn't even D1 talent. I've not seen him play.

MadDawg
11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Remember when you thought Cohen was clueless and a terrible coach? That was fun too.

No, actually, I don't. I remember being critical of him for stupid base-running decisions. I stand by that. I wasn't fully sold on him at first, I was wrong, and I admit that. But I never started a "who we should hire when we fire Cohen's ass" thread either. No crusades to get him fired. No lengthly diatribes about how he doesn't know how to coach, etc. My ego isn't nearly big enough to do that. I leave that to the "experts".

C222
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
No, actually, I don't. I remember being critical of him for stupid base-running decisions. I stand by that. I wasn't fully sold on him at first, I was wrong, and I admit that. But I never started a "who we should hire when we fire Cohen's ass" thread either. No crusades to get him fired. No lengthly diatribes about how he doesn't know how to coach, etc. My ego isn't nearly big enough to do that. I leave that to the "experts".

Never said you wanted to get him fired but you didn't waste any time questioning everything about our baseball program at the time all the while defending Polk. Same thing you are doing with our basketball program. It's cute though. Keep it up.

MadDawg
11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
didn't waste any time questioning everything about our baseball program at the time all the while defending Polk

Are you for real? The only "defending" of Polk I ever did was just lamenting the fact that it all went down like it did. It was ugly.

Not once did I argue for keeping Polk. Try again.

It_Could_Happen
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I hope Applewhite turns out to be a diamond in the rough. A lot of the folks around here were saying he wasn't even D1 talent. I've not seen him play.

I hadn't even thought about basketball until yesterday, but watching the scrimmage yesterday he was easily one of our best scoring options. Sword really struggled which surprised me.

maroonmania
11-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Good gracious, did we somehow lose the basketball scrimmage yesterday? Did we have a couple of players blow out their knees at the scrimmage? Negativity definitely seems to be starting early for that sport.

DawgInMemphis
11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I hadn't even thought about basketball until yesterday, but watching the scrimmage yesterday he was easily one of our best scoring options. Sword really struggled which surprised me.

Is Davis playing yet?

C222
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Is Davis playing yet?

He's practicing but not doing any 5 on 5 yet.

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2013, 02:29 PM

I think we'll have more talent top-to-bottom than we did last year, especially on the mound. Our offense will be better than people expect too. With the schedule we'll have, I feel like we have a legitimate shot at 20 wins in the SEC.

Not so fast. I expect us to score at least as many runs/game as last year, if not more. We might not have a Renfroe, but we should have significantly more depth in the lineup than any team since Cohen has been here.

Madisonmd
11-04-2013, 03:09 PM
One of our own assistants said no offense, marginal D1 talent with Applewhite

MsStateBaseball
11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
We do have more talent in baseball top to bottom. You will see more guys go pro. We will be better but a it depends on getting hot at the right time. See Vandy 2013.

Will James
11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
We do have more talent in baseball top to bottom. You will see more guys go pro. We will be better but a it depends on getting hot at the right time. See Vandy 2013.

Takes a lot of things to go right to end up where we did last year. Great teams routinely miss Omaha altogether. Talent level is increasing no doubt. The Sox showed this year that many above average players are preferable to a few superstars and a few below average guys. Nothing beats a SOLID 1-9 and we should have that.

Coach34
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
One of our own assistants said no offense, marginal D1 talent with Applewhite

This guy is a joke. Always bashing basketball. Applewhite will be fine and the basketball will be improved.

Do we need to add talent? Yes we do, but overall we are moving in a good direction.

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Takes a lot of things to go right to end up where we did last year. Great teams routinely miss Omaha altogether. Talent level is increasing no doubt. The Sox showed this year that many above average players are preferable to a few superstars and a few below average guys. Nothing beats a SOLID 1-9 and we should have that.

Did you watch Clubhouse Confidential today?

Brian Kenny made a good point about this and its the biggest reason why I think we'll score more runs this year. We will have no holes in our lineup.

It_Could_Happen
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM

1. There was nothing average about that pitching rotation.

2. I wouldn't exactly call that lineup average. Pedroia, ellisbury, victrino, Napoli, and se?or October are pretty damn salty.

Will James
11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
1. There was nothing average about that pitching rotation.

2. I wouldn't exactly call that lineup average. Pedroia, ellisbury, victrino, Napoli, and se?or October are pretty damn salty.

Thats why I said ABOVE average. And yes superman that was from today but he's said that all year.

CHConfidential should be DVR'd by all baseball fans

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Thats why I said ABOVE average. And yes superman that was from today but he's said that all year.

CHConfidential should be DVR'd by all baseball fans

Today was my first day to watch it, but it won't be my last.

Whether you're a metrics guy or not, it's a very interesting show that gives a whole new perspective on the game.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Look for Dallas Prater to make a big splash. Extremely athletic kid who high jumped 6'6 at St Andrews in high school. Needs to add some weight, but he is a superb walk on that could be very valuable later on in his career. Dre Applewhite still looked tentative with his knee but he was wearing a brace that offensive linemen wear. I'll be curious to see them play the season opener because Auburn Montgomery was worse than most 6A and 5A basketball programs in Mississippi.