PDA

View Full Version : MLB draft will be five rounds

Todd4State
05-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Set for June 10. Anyone not drafted can sign for a maximum of 20K

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/2020-mlb-draft-set-to-occur-on-june-10-and-will-be-five-rounds-per-reports/ar-BB13Orfd?ocid=spartanntp

I'm expecting us to lose Ginn, Westburg, and Foscue.

Commercecomet24
05-08-2020, 08:35 PM
I'd be absolutely shocked if Ginn leaves

Todd4State
05-08-2020, 08:37 PM

I will defer to you on all things Ginn.

But I will also say that I have heard rumors that he will sign.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 08:38 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/2020-mlb-draft-set-to-occur-on-june-10-and-will-be-five-rounds-per-reports/ar-BB13Orfd?ocid=spartanntp

And Hendrix. Blaze Jordan will be the main one to watch here. Could go either way.

In the end, it ended up being a 5 round draft because, with the uncertainty of Minor League baseball this year, it doesn't make much sense to draft players & then have no place to develop them. Plus, with there being no Minor League baseball, virtually no minor league players have been released this year making for very few spots for new players fill.

People will blame a 5 round draft only on owners being cheap, and that is to some degree true, but there are also legitimate logistical issues & developmental issues with bringing in a larger amount of new players.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 08:39 PM

I think he leaves Commerce

Commercecomet24
05-08-2020, 08:39 PM
I will defer to you on all things Ginn.

But I will also say that I have heard rumors that he will sign.

As always anything can happen but that's not the plan. I expect to see him in maroon and white next year that is if we're all not dead from covid lol.

Commercecomet24
05-08-2020, 08:44 PM
Let me add some clarity. IF they were to get an extremely good offer then yeah that could happen and would be stupid not to after what's happened. However he is planning to be in Starkville next year.

The Federalist Engineer
05-08-2020, 09:01 PM
The mock drafts indicate that we should not expect Austin Hendricks in Maroon. MLB Mock Drafts seems to like him more than Blaze Jordan

AlSwearengen
05-08-2020, 09:30 PM
The mock drafts indicate that we should not expect Austin Hendricks in Maroon. MLB Mock Drafts seems to like him more than Blaze Jordan

I don’t think there was ever any chance to get Hendricks and honestly, I have almost forgotten about him. I think he has been projected in the top half of the 1st round for a couple of years now.

ZedFedder
05-08-2020, 09:38 PM
If Ginn is going to be picked in Round 1, he has to take it. If he came back and had more arm trouble, he would be done as far as the draft goes. The good thing is that I believe McLeod is as good as Ginn, Cerantola has potential to be just that good, and we have guys like Bednar who I believe are more than capable for the Sunday spot, not to mention Brandon Smith who should be back healthy. If Ginn does come back, he may even close.

Cooterpoot
05-08-2020, 09:41 PM
And Hendrix. Blaze Jordan will be the main one to watch here. Could go either way.

In the end, it ended up being a 5 round draft because, with the uncertainty of Minor League baseball this year, it doesn't make much sense to draft players & then have no place to develop them. Plus, with there being no Minor League baseball, virtually no minor league players have been released this year making for very few spots for new players fill.

People will blame a 5 round draft only on owners being cheap, and that is to some degree true, but there are also legitimate logistical issues & developmental issues with bringing in a larger amount of new players.

I don't believe Jordan goes in 5 rds

Todd4State
05-08-2020, 10:02 PM
I don’t think there was ever any chance to get Hendricks and honestly, I have almost forgotten about him. I think he has been projected in the top half of the 1st round for a couple of years now.

That's the main reason why I didn't mention him.

Todd4State
05-08-2020, 10:04 PM
As always anything can happen but that's not the plan. I expect to see him in maroon and white next year that is if we're all not dead from covid lol.

Gotta think about all those nursing home people that come to MSU baseball games.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people in the grandstand live in a nursing home. I saw the 1985 MSU baseball highlight film and I swear the same people that look 100 years old that go to MSU baseball games now were in that video and looked 100 years old then too!

Liverpooldawg
05-08-2020, 10:17 PM

Wow, five rounds. That's a shock..

Commercecomet24
05-08-2020, 10:18 PM
Gotta think about all those nursing home people that come to MSU baseball games.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people in the grandstand live in a nursing home. I saw the 1985 MSU baseball highlight film and I swear the same people that look 100 years old that go to MSU baseball games now were in that video and looked 100 years old then too!

Haha I think you're right!

Todd4State
05-09-2020, 02:08 AM
Haha I think you're right!

I'm pretty sure I've pissed at least half of them off at a baseball game yelling at the umpire too.