PDA

View Full Version : If NIL Rules Pass, Will Recruiting Sites Accept Kick Backs for Better Rankings?

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Dave Bartoo kind of hinted at this on Bo Bounds this morning & it's kind of interesting to think about.

- promotional & money making opportunities will be used to recruit players.

- The higher the star rating, the more star power & financial upside the player will have.

- Recruiting sites subjectively determine the stars of a player.

- It is therefore financially beneficial for the player to be rated higher by recruiting services.

- Recruiting services are not in any way under the regulation of the NCAA

- Thus, do recruiting sites accept kick backs on star ratings?

- Do recruiting sites sell star ratings? For $10K we'll bump you from a 3 star to a 4 star? For $50K we'll bump you from a 4 star to a 5 star? Obviously the talent has to match the rating to some extent but we've all seen tons of high 3 stars & high 4 stars that could easily be bumped up without anyone knowing why.

Just a thought on the level of ridiculousness this rule could create

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2020, 08:57 AM
So you're saying boosters may pay recruiting sites anywhere from $10 to $50k to bump up a kids rankings?

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 09:03 AM
So you're saying boosters may pay recruiting sites anywhere from $10 to $50k to bump up a kids rankings?

I'm saying the kid's agents will pay the recruiting sites for higher ratings.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2020, 09:06 AM
I'm saying the kid's agents will pay the recruiting sites for higher ratings.

They wouldn't have agents in HS. Also unless you're at the very top of the class why would an agent want to deal with a 3* kid or even a low 4* kid? Their value to a business is going to be little to none. Hell the average player on a college team isn't going to have value in the open market.

TUSK
05-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Nah.

basedog
05-07-2020, 09:24 AM
They wouldn't have agents in HS. Also unless you're at the very top of the class why would an agent want to deal with a 3* kid or even a low 4* kid? Their value to a business is going to be little to none. Hell the average player on a college team isn't going to have value in the open market.

I agree, cheaters gonna cheat anyway.

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 10:06 AM

You don't know how it works at all.

The recommendations set forth by the NCAA mentioned that players could have agents to cut promotional deals. Every potential HS baseball draft pick already has an agent but under the title "advisor"

It's a really simple leap to make that football agencies become HS football player's "advisors" at no cost to the agency or player with the agency getting a 20% or greater cut of the endorsement money while also locking down the player should he develop into an NFL prospect.

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!! It's already happened in baseball and once it does happen, it's a smart business move for the agency to buy a better recruiting rankings as that has shown to increase the profile and marketability of the player.

You know a lot about HS football players, but you simply have no idea what you're talking about in this area.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2020, 10:07 AM
You don't know how it works at all.

The recommendations set forth by the NCAA mentioned that players could have agents to cut promotional deals. Every potential HS baseball draft pick already has an agent but under the title "advisor"

It's a really simple leap to make that football agencies become HS football player's "advisors" at no cost to the agency or player with the agency getting a 20% or greater cut of the endorsement money while also locking down the player should he develop into an NFL prospect.

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!! It's already happened in baseball and once it does happen, it's a smart business move for the agency to buy a better recruiting rankings as that has shown to increase the profile and marketability of the player.

You know a lot about HS football players, but you simply have no idea what you're talking about in this area.

Ok sure

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Ok sure

At least your honest here.

Your comment on HS football players not having agents was so incredibly ignorant that it showed you have no clue what you're talking about on this area. None whatsoever.

basedog
05-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Your comment on HS football players not having agents was so incredibly ignorant that it showed you have no clue what you're talking about on this area. None whatsoever.

You mad Gun or did IYOK burn down yo 'He shed"? It's just discussions and opinions, you should understand. Who knows untill it unfolds where all this goes.

Jack Lambert
05-07-2020, 11:33 AM

That is already happening.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2020, 12:37 PM
That is already happening.

To bump kids rankings? No no it's not.

TheLostDawg
05-07-2020, 01:13 PM
I imagine a lot of high school kids are going to get burned much like a lot of NFL players have in the past. Hopefully there will be some protocols in place to limit them and their families getting taken advantage of.

3rdGen
05-07-2020, 01:13 PM
My question is then.........who wants to start an agency with me? I mean shotgun if you know how this works you can get 17percent for your knowledge and another 17 percent for your connections and another 17 percent for your time....love this 17in site. Anyway I really mean it about the agency. Sounds like it could be legit plan long term. Tough upstart but if you do land that first and second nfl hof player you may be good.

FISHDAWG
05-07-2020, 01:20 PM
I think once the camps start back for player evaluation the "agents" won't be anywhere to be found .... I know anything is possible but this is a very looong reach .... what's an agents cut for $5000 ..... I know it wouldn't be worth my time

basedog
05-07-2020, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking and believing Baseball and basketball players especially the young ones, are much easier to evaluate than a young football player. They play all year around now days while football players do not. If and when the "agents/advisors come into play, my money will be on baseball and basketball.

This reminds me of telling Arob44 and his brother after watching William Prince play and seeing his highlights that he was gonna be the next Eric Dickerson. He ran just like him while at Warren Central, never panned out on my prediction.

R2Dawg
05-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Dave Bartoo kind of hinted at this on Bo Bounds this morning & it's kind of interesting to think about.

- promotional & money making opportunities will be used to recruit players.

- The higher the star rating, the more star power & financial upside the player will have.

- Recruiting sites subjectively determine the stars of a player.

- It is therefore financially beneficial for the player to be rated higher by recruiting services.

- Recruiting services are not in any way under the regulation of the NCAA

- Thus, do recruiting sites accept kick backs on star ratings?

- Do recruiting sites sell star ratings? For $10K we'll bump you from a 3 star to a 4 star? For $50K we'll bump you from a 4 star to a 5 star? Obviously the talent has to match the rating to some extent but we've all seen tons of high 3 stars & high 4 stars that could easily be bumped up without anyone knowing why.

Just a thought on the level of ridiculousness this rule could create

This whole pandora box they have opened is going to corrupt the whole system so bad it will make North Korea look like Little Sisters of the Poor.

Maroonthirteen
05-07-2020, 04:00 PM
My question is then.........who wants to start an agency with me? I mean shotgun if you know how this works you can get 17percent for your knowledge and another 17 percent for your connections and another 17 percent for your time....love this 17in site. Anyway I really mean it about the agency. Sounds like it could be legit plan long term. Tough upstart but if you do land that first and second nfl hof player you may be good.

Once things open up..... there will be a meeting at the Huddle House, Hattiesburg.

Maybe somebody will change a $20 to get the funds started.

3rdGen
05-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Once things open up..... there will be a meeting at the Huddle House, Hattiesburg.

I got 5 on it!

BB30
05-08-2020, 09:44 AM

No because every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be trying to get there clientele bumped up. So you would still end up with only the most athletic or best players getting bumps or you would end up with way too many 4 and 5 stars.

Everyone can't be a 4 or 5* and recruiting services know this. If they all of the sudden started having more of each classification people would realize it's more of a scam than it already is. So even if you do have some kids agents paying to get bumped it is probably already a kid that is considered to be pretty damn talented or a kid that already has offers from your top schools IE Bama etc. Which they already get bumps anyways once they commit to one of the big schools.

So no, I don't think it will change much at all from what it already is if the recruiting services want to survive.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 09:49 AM
No because every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be trying to get there clientele bumped up. So you would still end up with only the most athletic or best players getting bumps or you would end up with way too many 4 and 5 stars.

Everyone can't be a 4 or 5* and recruiting services know this. If they all of the sudden started having more of each classification people would realize it's more of a scam than it already is. So even if you do have some kids agents paying to get bumped it is probably already a kid that is considered to be pretty damn talented or a kid that already has offers from your top schools IE Bama etc. Which they already get bumps anyways once they commit to one of the big schools.

So no, I don't think it will change much at all from what it already is if the recruiting services want to survive.

I think this is a solid opinion in that you agree it will be attempted but are putting your faith in the recruiting sites to not cave.

It'll be interesting to see what happens

FISHDAWG
05-08-2020, 09:50 AM

You're just wrong here and out of line calling someone ignorant that is obviously very much experienced with recruiting, players, and the overall aspects ... in other words I think IYOK is in the business and you're not .... when the Hell are you going to learn to quit insulting people ????

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 09:56 AM
You're just wrong here and out of line calling someone ignorant that is obviously very much experienced with recruiting, players, and the overall aspects ... in other words I think IYOK is in the business and you're not .... when the Hell are you going to learn to quit insulting people ????

This post is completely ridiculous. What you think you know here is backwards.

I understand your point, but it's off because you're making assumptions that are way off.

IYOK is extremely knowledgable & awesome with players. He really is. Maybe the best in Mississippi. However, that has nothing to do with agents, how they work, & what would happen if & when they are allowed to be advisors to HS kids, which they would since agencies would want to start recruiting the most marketable college players at a young age.

Cooterpoot
05-08-2020, 10:43 AM
They already receive kick backs in the form of paying customers. The rankings benefit the paying customers just like the old magazines did.

FISHDAWG
05-08-2020, 10:52 AM
This post is completely ridiculous. What you think you know here is backwards.

I understand your point, but it's off because you're making assumptions that are way off.

IYOK is extremely knowledgable & awesome with players. He really is. Maybe the best in Mississippi. However, that has nothing to do with agents, how they work, & what would happen if & when they are allowed to be advisors to HS kids, which they would since agencies would want to start recruiting the most marketable college players at a young age.

and just where did you acquire all of this experience ? Are you in the industry ? I think you're just speculating and don't have a clue .... at the very least you can quit calling INTELLIGENT people ignorant

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 11:15 AM
and just where did you acquire all of this experience ? Are you in the industry ? I think you're just speculating and don't have a clue .... at the very least you can quit calling INTELLIGENT people ignorant

Think what you want. I don't care

basedog
05-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Think what you want. I don't care

Football is way different than basketball and baseball on evaluating players, as for as advisors/agents, shoe companies seem to have a huge market especially baseball and basketball on recruits. I know someone who received about 8 pairs of shoes attending a "show case game/tournament sponsors by a shoe company.
Also football players mature much later because of it being the more physical game.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Football is way different than basketball and baseball on evaluating players, as for as advisors/agents, shoe companies seem to have a huge market especially baseball and basketball on recruits. I know someone who received about 8 pairs of shoes attending a "show case game/tournament sponsors by a shoe company.
Also football players mature much later because of it being the more physical game.

I agree to some degree.

If I were an NFL agency, & the NCAA implemented the NIL rule with the ability of college players to have agents to seek out endorsement opportunities as recommended by the NCAA council, I would do the following:

1. I would view the rule in a lesser sense as a way to make money off college athletes & more as a way to get a head start on recruiting future NFL players to my agency.

2. I would obviously look at the recruiting ratings & target the 5* & high 4 star players first & then work my way down. Again, with all this being as a means to getting a head start on developing the relationship with the player & increasing my chances of getting the player to sign on with my agency when he was eligible for the NFL draft.

3. I would then ask: "How can I increase my chances of getting the player for his NFL career?" The obvious answer to that question is to make money for the player while he's in college & prove myself as an agent.

4. So how can I make more money for my client while he's in college? I've got to increase his marketability. That's the best way to do it.

5. How can I increase the marketability of my client? There are a number ways & one of those ways is to lobby for him to go into his college career with a higher recruiting ranking, which immediately makes him more marketable.

6. How do I increase his recruiting ranking?

That's the path I believe this will take. The Drew Rosenhauses of the world likely already have this mapped out, but, if they don't want to fool with it, young, aggressive, ambitious agents that are struggling to make a name for themselves in NFL circles will absolutely attempt this.

basedog
05-08-2020, 12:03 PM
I agree to some degree.

If I were an NFL agency, & the NCAA implemented the NIL rule with the ability of college players to have agents to seek out endorsement opportunities as recommended by the NCAA council, I would do the following:

1. I would view the rule in a lesser sense as a way to make money off college athletes & more as a way to get a head start on recruiting future NFL players to my agency.

2. I would obviously look at the recruiting ratings & target the 5* & high 4 star players first & then work my way down. Again, with all this being as a means to getting a head start on developing the relationship with the player & increasing my chances of getting the player to sign on with my agency when he was eligible for the NFL draft.

3. I would then ask: "How can I increase my chances of getting the player for his NFL career?" The obvious answer to that question is to make money for the player while he's in college & prove myself as an agent.

4. So how can I make more money for my client while he's in college? I've got to increase his marketability. That's the best way to do it.

5. How can I increase the marketability of my client? There are a number ways & one of those ways is to lobby for him to go into his college career with a higher recruiting ranking, which immediately makes him more marketable.

6. How do I increase his recruiting ranking?

That's the path I believe this will take. The Drew Rosenhauses of the world likely already have this mapped out, but, if they don't want to fool with it, young, aggressive, ambitious agents that are struggling to make a name for themselves in NFL circles will absolutely attempt this.

It's such a bigger risk with football, like I said, maturity and injuries play a much bigger role. Football players who are in High school as well as Freshmen and Sophomores in college aren't close to being able to make a Nfl team imo.

I can see how advisors/agents can gamble with some football players.

I'm sure change is on it's way with college athletics, one thing for sure it will help the big time programs even more, such as the Sec and the other power conferences. Wish they would quit the Ncaa and form there own rules and policies.

Btw, advisors/agents can help, but like anything, get involved with the wrong group and it can hurt as much as help.

TUSK
05-08-2020, 03:10 PM
This is a pretty telling article regarding recruiting rankings and the 1st round of the 2020 Draft:

https://247sports.com/Article/nfl-draft-recruit-star-rankings-ratings-college-football-sleeper-247-sports-146550794/

Note: I did not independently fact check the veracity of the data.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 03:55 PM
It's such a bigger risk with football, like I said, maturity and injuries play a much bigger role. Football players who are in High school as well as Freshmen and Sophomores in college aren't close to being able to make a Nfl team imo.

I can see how advisors/agents can gamble with some football players.

I'm sure change is on it's way with college athletics, one thing for sure it will help the big time programs even more, such as the Sec and the other power conferences. Wish they would quit the Ncaa and form there own rules and policies.

Btw, advisors/agents can help, but like anything, get involved with the wrong group and it can hurt as much as help.

What risk is the agent taking on here?

He only pays $ to recruiting sites that benefit him and, if he finds the right price, the odds of him benefiting in the long term go up.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 03:58 PM
You better hope your college football coach is tight with NFL agents as that may be the new path to getting players.

basedog
05-08-2020, 04:07 PM
What risk is the agent taking on here?

He only pays $ to recruiting sites that benefit him and, if he finds the right price, the odds of him benefiting in the long term go up.

Players are the risk, agents have nothing to lose.

Randolph Dupree
05-08-2020, 04:22 PM

Everybody knows about Huddle House. We've moved the meetings to the Ward's in Siminary

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Players are the risk, agents have nothing to lose.

Exactly