PDA

View Full Version : Does Will Rogers have IT?

Todd4State
05-06-2020, 09:53 PM
https://twitter.com/H_Kylin/status/1256784937757351937

Kylin Hill thinks so. Thought this was interesting.

DownwardDawg
05-06-2020, 09:55 PM
I think he does from what I’m told.

Todd4State
05-06-2020, 09:56 PM
Reading between the lines it sounds to me like Rogers is leading drills with his teammates on their own.

Cooterpoot
05-06-2020, 10:28 PM
He's a smart QB without elite athletic attributes. Hard worker because he has to worker harder, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Leach obviously likes him.

Quaoarsking
05-07-2020, 07:13 AM
Prediction: He backs up Costello this fall, limiting himself to 4 games of mop-up duty but still logging significant snaps. He then starts the 2021-2024 seasons and ends up passing for more than 19,217 yards.

Jack Lambert
05-07-2020, 08:02 AM
My son is in the 9th grade at Brandon. He says 1/2 the kids thinks he is overrated and he is only in the position he is in because his dad is the OC at Brandon. 25% thinks he is ok and the other 25% thinks he is great. I have watched him play. He was good with Mingo but not so much without him. I think what he does do is help bring in other Brandon kids. There are some really good athletes at that high school.

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 08:09 AM
I've only watched him in the MS/AL all star game & my first impression is that he had instincts & looked natural at the position.

QB is the hardest position in any sport in the world to evaluate with the most important ingredients being 1. processing speed 2. Accuracy 3. Ability to feel pressure.

Processing speed is impossible to see at the HS level unless you watch a guy often enough to naturally know.

I thought his accuracy looked above average.

While not really athletic, I thought his ability to feel pressure looked natural.

We'll see, but my impression from the MS/AL game was that he looked like a low 4 star QB with a chance to develop into a highly productive starter with body maturity.

I guess the biggest thing that gave me confidence about him in the MS/AL game is that the game appeared to come easy to him. I've learned through multiple situations that regardless of natural talent, the players in which the game appears to come easy are often the best players.

As a GM once told me "Smooth gets better faster"

basedog
05-07-2020, 08:24 AM
My son is in the 9th grade at Brandon. He says 1/2 the kids thinks he is overrated and he is only in the position he is in because his dad is the OC at Brandon. 25% thinks he is ok and the other 25% thinks he is great. I have watched him play. He was good with Mingo but not so much without him. I think what he does do is help bring in other Brandon kids. There are some really good athletes at that high school.

I have seen him play, and what you say is what I hear also. I see both side of what is said about him, I also saw him trying to lead and looks like he plays with "leadership ability". How successful he can or will be is left up to how hard he works and dedication, he has ability but how much is it Sec Quality is to be seen.

Tbonewannabe
05-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Luckily we have Costello this year and then Shrader? and Rogers with another year under their belt. We also will have the Texas QBs in next year to go with the 2 redshirt freshmen (Shrader and Rogers).

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Luckily we have Costello this year and then Shrader? and Rogers with another year under their belt. We also will have the Texas QBs in next year to go with the 2 redshirt freshmen (Shrader and Rogers).

2020 - Costello

2021 - Likely Shrader, but Rogers & the Vandy transfer will get a shot. If all are meh in Spring, don't put it past Leach to just go get another grad transfer

2022 - Robertson becomes a real factor.

fader2103
05-07-2020, 09:08 AM
Do ya'll think Shrader stays? I am actually surprised that he hasn't already entered the portal.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Kylin also compared L Witherspoon to Nick Chubb at one time.....meh

PMDawg
05-07-2020, 09:53 AM
As a GM once told me

EL

OH

EL

NWADAWG
05-07-2020, 10:54 AM
EL

OH

EL

He didn't say GM of what. Could be gas station, Taco Bell. I happen to know a few GM's too.

BiscuitEater
05-07-2020, 11:26 AM
watched some HS video. Has a strong arm, good accuracy AND had good wide receivers able to stretch the field while catching the ball. There were tons of throws to Mingo.

Mingo caught 77 passes for 1,451 yards and 14 TDs as a senior (2018) ... Finished high school career with 2,492 receiving yards and 23 TDs ... Led Brandon to 6A South State title game and 13-2 record as a senior ... Physical receiver was named Mobile Rivals Camp MVP in Summer 2018 ... Chose Ole Miss over Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Oregon and others ... Coached by Tyler Peterson.

fader2103
05-07-2020, 11:37 AM
He didn't say GM of what. Could be gas station, Taco Bell. I happen to know a few GM's too.

So the scout or former scout he refers to is a Boy Scout

QuadrupleOption
05-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Those opinions remind me a little of what this guy faced coming out of high school and college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fdhfVrg1I

I'm certainly not stating that Rogers is the next Brady but if he's willing to put the work in and not coast on his physical talents he can be very effective in Leach's offense.

msbulldog
05-07-2020, 12:08 PM
Mike Leach took a lightly rated quarterback in high school and turned him into a draft pick and he happened to go to the same high school as Will Rogers.

PMDawg
05-07-2020, 01:08 PM

I'm just wondering how he got a GM to come down into his Mom's basement...

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-07-2020, 01:51 PM

Covid19?

R2Dawg
05-07-2020, 02:59 PM

The IT factor is so way overused today. Every new player is tagged with having IT. IT is the new favorite adjective of every sports commentator. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

So what is "IT"?
In my opinion, Dak is one of the few that had the IT factor to come thru in some time. I don't think there are a handful of players in college football that have "IT". Lots of great players but the "IT" is a special. Special in skills, ability but there are lots of great players there. The IT is really about what is inside a person. A drive, motivation, self aware, comfortable in their own skin, leads by example, confident, courageous, bold, etc. Hard to define IT but Dak had it, Michael Jordan had IT.

StarkVegasSteve
05-07-2020, 03:51 PM
Do ya'll think Shrader stays? I am actually surprised that he hasn't already entered the portal.

Shrader is staying. He believes he can beat out Costello. No clue if he's correct, but I love his confidence in himself.

maroonmania
05-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Shrader is staying. He believes he can beat out Costello. No clue if he's correct, but I love his confidence in himself.

Costello is not Shrader's problem. Even if Shrader doesn't get the job this year he still has a RS year available. Shrader's biggest threat will be the guys coming behind him that are hand picked by Leach (including Rogers). Theoretically Schrader could redshirt with his 4 games behind Costello and then still start for 3 more years after that if he can stay ahead of the other competition.

ShotgunDawg
05-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Costello is not Shrader's problem. Even if Shrader doesn't get the job this year he still has a RS year available. Shrader's biggest threat will be the guys coming behind him that are hand picked by Leach (including Rogers). Theoretically Schrader could redshirt with his 4 games behind Costello and then still start for 3 more years after that if he can stay ahead of the other competition.

Correct. Shrader just needs to take the coaching & keep getting better.

I really liked what I saw from Shrader this year & think he could be really good. I have no idea what his intangibles are other than he's tough as the Willie Gay situation created some questions in my mind.

HoopsDawg
05-07-2020, 06:17 PM

Shrader looks the part to me. I hope he can redshirt this year and start for 3 years.

Todd4State
05-07-2020, 06:33 PM
The IT factor is so way overused today. Every new player is tagged with having IT. IT is the new favorite adjective of every sports commentator. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

So what is "IT"?
In my opinion, Dak is one of the few that had the IT factor to come thru in some time. I don't think there are a handful of players in college football that have "IT". Lots of great players but the "IT" is a special. Special in skills, ability but there are lots of great players there. The IT is really about what is inside a person. A drive, motivation, self aware, comfortable in their own skin, leads by example, confident, courageous, bold, etc. Hard to define IT but Dak had it, Michael Jordan had IT.

That's the thing- only time will tell if a player has IT.

Todd4State
05-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Correct. Shrader just needs to take the coaching & keep getting better.

I really liked what I saw from Shrader this year & think he could be really good. I have no idea what his intangibles are other than he's tough as the Willie Gay situation created some questions in my mind.

The Gay incident doesn't really concern me with him at all. You have a true FRESHMAN QB who is trying to be a leader. The biggest mistake he made was not defusing the situation and I think that comes with maturity and experience. You also have to take into account that our coaching staff had a poor culture that allowed things to escalate to that point and ultimately was a factor in the head coach being fired.

Todd4State
05-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Shrader looks the part to me. I hope he can redshirt this year and start for 3 years.

I think the way I would handle Shrader is play him as the back up and start him for two years and then let Rogers take over.

Tbonewannabe
05-07-2020, 06:50 PM

So what is "IT"?

I would say Mangum had IT also.

R2Dawg
05-07-2020, 07:52 PM
I would say Mangum had IT also.

Yes I agree. I was thinking football when I named Dak but Jake had IT too.

Dawgfan77
05-08-2020, 07:01 AM
GS biggest obstacle to overcome is GS. I was told that he was starting to mature and the new staff and how do we adjusted the attitude a little.

ShotgunDawg
05-08-2020, 07:27 AM
GS biggest obstacle to overcome is GS. I was told that he was starting to mature and the new staff and how do we adjusted the attitude a little.

I believe that & I also believe you could say the same for about 98% of the team. Everyone except Lovett actually

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2020, 09:27 AM
He had better stats without Mingo than he had with him. So that is a myth. Every single kid at Brandon can tell their dads what they want but no kid starter or bench warmer senior or 9th grader ever had the set to stand up to him or tell him he was just ok or it was all bc of his dad being the OC.

BuckyIsAB****
05-09-2020, 09:29 AM
If there is an It Will has It. Kylin is kissing up a little bit bc he wants number 2 and that is wills number but there is a huge difference in the mentality of both of those kids. Rogers has ran throwing sessions and ran a bunch of workouts. He is a winner