PDA

View Full Version : Is Florida Tampering with Stewart Reese?

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2020, 11:34 AM
There seems to be a real shady situation going on right now where Florida fans believe they are getting Stewart Reese as a grad transfer while Reese has shown no signs of leaving MSU.

I realize he'd be a grad transfer so he can technically leave, but this is a really garbage part of the rule. He's a starting player on an SEC team & another SEC team is basically using his brother to recruit him to Florida?

This isn't the way the rule was designed. I realize we got Zuber & Costello, but Zuber wanted out of K-State & Costello got injured & might not have started. To me, since both of those players entered to portal & allowed themselves to be recruited, it seems a little less shady than what appears to be Florida recruiting a starting player on another SEC team though their brother.

All that to say, I'm not sure where to draw the line, but something doesn't smell right here.

dawgday166
05-05-2020, 11:36 AM
So I whupped up on you about the MLB GOAT now you starting a new thread and changing the topic?? ****

msstate7
05-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Reese is a Florida kid that signed with dan mullen. He might have reached out to them

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Reese is a Florida kid that signed with dan mullen. He might have reached out to them

Which would be tampering since Reese isn't in the transfer portal.

msstate7
05-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Which would be tampering since Reese isn't in the transfer portal.

I guess so. What you say we do at about it (assuming it even happened)?

Todd4State
05-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Oh NOW Hevesy wants him.

Reese is the guy that T-Buck recruited that Dan didn't think we could get.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2020, 12:27 PM
I guess so. What you say we do at about it (assuming it even happened)?

IDK the rule book. I have no clue

msstate7
05-05-2020, 12:31 PM
IDK the rule book. I have no clue

I don't either, but I doubt seriously we have any real recourse. Not like nfl where you can lose a draft pick or something

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2020, 01:01 PM
I don't either, but I doubt seriously we have any real recourse. Not like nfl where you can lose a draft pick or something

Would just seem to me that the SEC would not want starting players to not be jumping to other teams in the conference

Dawgology
05-05-2020, 01:04 PM
It depends. If Reese reached out to him then he can talk to Reese as much as he wants to I think.

QuadrupleOption
05-05-2020, 01:04 PM
If it's through his brother I don't think there's anything we can prove or do about it. If he's looking to leave, we need to give him reasons to stay. We've had high round draft picks from our O-line positions pretty recently so we can sell that. Of course a lot of those came from Hevesy so....

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 01:06 PM
Threads like this are what finally convinced me to decide to take your bet you offered up.

Walkerhill
05-05-2020, 01:39 PM
There seems to be a real shady situation going on right now where Florida fans believe they are getting Stewart Reese as a grad transfer while Reese has shown no signs of leaving MSU.

I realize he'd be a grad transfer so he can technically leave, but this is a really garbage part of the rule. He's a starting player on an SEC team & another SEC team is basically using his brother to recruit him to Florida?

This isn't the way the rule was designed. I realize we got Zuber & Costello, but Zuber wanted out of K-State & Costello got injured & might not have started. To me, since both of those players entered to portal & allowed themselves to be recruited, it seems a little less shady than what appears to be Florida recruiting a starting player on another SEC team though their brother.

All that to say, I'm not sure where to draw the line, but something doesn't smell right here.

Further info - his brother is graduated and trying to catch on an NFL UFA.

This is pretty speculative. If Reese wants to look around, all he has to do is register for the portal and talk to anyone he wants.

Having a brother as a go-between does not really enable anything he couldn?t just initiate himself pretty easily.

What is the point of even bringing this up for public discussion?

Jacksondevildog
05-05-2020, 01:43 PM
As long as they are social distancing, some people on this board won’t care if they are tampering.

msu15
05-05-2020, 02:02 PM

Well I see who you are on 247 now lol

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Further info - his brother is graduated and trying to catch on an NFL UFA.

This is pretty speculative. If Reese wants to look around, all he has to do is register for the portal and talk to anyone he wants.

Having a brother as a go-between does not really enable anything he couldn?t just initiate himself pretty easily.

What is the point of even bringing this up for public discussion?

That's another David Reese. His brother is a RS Soph at Florida.

maroonmania
05-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Oh NOW Hevesy wants him.

Reese is the guy that T-Buck recruited that Dan didn't think we could get.

He would have to want to go to Florida pretty bad to subject himself to John Hevesy for his final year of college eligibility. Having a brand new coaching staff though where they can't go through the normal Spring to get familiar with the players can lend themselves to these type of issues though.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2020, 02:48 PM
He's not wrong. There's smoke to this.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2020, 03:04 PM
He would have to want to go to Florida pretty bad to subject himself to John Hevesy for his final year of college eligibility. Having a brand new coaching staff though where they can't go through the normal Spring to get familiar with the players can lend themselves to these type of issues though.

Not to mention walking out on his teammates as a 3 year starter.

smootness
05-05-2020, 03:16 PM
Chalk another up for 'if it benefits us I like it and if it hurts us, I don't.'

Todd4State
05-05-2020, 03:20 PM

I'm not sure it hurts us in this case to be honest.

LT- Lashley
LG- Parker
C- Sharp
RG- James Jackson
RT- Eiland

I can roll with that.

dawgday166
05-05-2020, 03:23 PM

Gun always has a double standard when it comes to recruits/players choices regarding MSU.

I mean c'mon ... he actually thinks Bonds is the best ever ... see what I'm talking about. ***

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2020, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure it hurts us in this case to be honest.

LT- Lashley
LG- Parker
C- Sharp
RG- James Jackson
RT- Eiland

I can roll with that.

Lashley, Dolla, & Cole Smith have better odds at being the 5th OL over James Jackson.

Hambone
05-05-2020, 08:03 PM
We got two Lashley’s on the team?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2020, 08:13 PM
We got two Lashley’s on the team?

Nope but Charles Cross is our starting LT.

maroonmania
05-05-2020, 08:36 PM
He's not wrong. There's smoke to this.

Hope we don't end up losing him but just a question. What kind of OL will Reese be in a Leach offense that has him in pass pro 70-75 percent of the time? Honest question, he seems to be more of road grader type blocker than a guy backing up on his heels protecting the QB. Maybe I'm just trying to look on the bright side since I know how these things usually go for us once they become a public rumor.

Captain Falcon
05-06-2020, 08:42 AM
I understand that we have some options and he might be fairly replaceable, but I also hesitate to say that losing someone with 34 career starts would not be a big deal.

ShotgunDawg
05-06-2020, 08:44 AM
I understand that we have some options and he might be fairly replaceable, but I also hesitate to say that losing someone with 34 career starts would not be a big deal.

It's a huge deal. The guy started at RT for goodness sakes, so he should be fine at RG in Leach's offense.

Hopefully he doesn't walk out on his teammates & finishes things with them.

I get backups & kids that don't play much leaving, but when starters, that teammates are relying on leave, to me that is tough to comprehend if you yourself are a good teammate.

IMO, the media has really warped people's opinion on this & we've lost some consciousnesses when it comes to this type of thing. in society we've made something acceptable & common place that really shouldn't be.

Again, to me the "starter" guy that people are relying on is the separator here.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 09:25 AM
It's a huge deal. The guy started at RT for goodness sakes, so he should be fine at RG in Leach's offense.

Hopefully he doesn't walk out on his teammates & finishes things with them.

I get backups & kids that don't play much leaving, but when starters, that teammates are relying on leave, to me that is tough to comprehend if you yourself are a good teammate.

IMO, the media has really warped people's opinion on this & we've lost some consciousnesses when it comes to this type of thing. in society we've made something acceptable & common place that really shouldn't be.

Again, to me the "starter" guy that people are relying on is the separator here.

Not to get into a back & forth but weren't you 1 of the main guys campaigning for us to get 1 or 2 Washington St WR to grad transfer or the Stevenson kid from Houston? They'd have been doing the same thing you're potentially killing Stewart for doing. What's the difference?

ShotgunDawg
05-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Not to get into a back & forth but weren't you 1 of the main guys campaigning for us to get 1 or 2 Washington St WR to grad transfer or the Stevenson kid from Houston? They'd have been doing the same thing you're potentially killing Stewart for doing. What's the difference?

I was. Doesn't make it right. Yes, I'm a hypocrite. Yes, I'm selfish towards MSU, but you'd hope that a starter that people were relying on would stick it out with his teammates.

It's one of those things that, if they're leaving I want them, but I'd think more of them as a person if they stuck it out. Guys with playing times issues fall into an entirely different bucket for me.

I know you're for a free for all in college football with free agency & 10,000 schollies per school, so I realize you'll disagree with me & that's fine.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 10:50 AM
I was. Doesn't make it right. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

As long as you own it.

Walkerhill
05-06-2020, 11:22 AM
As long as you own it.

IYOK - how real is the threat to lose Reese? Are you still thinking we only lose 5-8 to attrition?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 12:31 PM
IYOK - how real is the threat to lose Reese? Are you still thinking we only lose 5-8 to attrition?

He's still going about things business as usual. I never thought it would be the mass exodus of kids leaving like others. I could see maybe 1 or 2 more guys leaving. No one in particular just the natural progression.

Cooterpoot
05-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Since Reese has already graduated, he'd already be making a move IMO. No reason to prolong it.

Todd4State
05-06-2020, 02:21 PM

I heard we were working Lashley at LT before the quarantine.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 02:40 PM
I heard we were working Lashley at LT before the quarantine.

He was but as Cross's backup. Cross is going to the be the LT for the next 2-3 years.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Since Reese has already graduated, he'd already be making a move IMO. No reason to prolong it.

That has been my thoughts. He graduated last year. If he was going to leave January made the most sense so he could go through spring practice with his new team.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2020, 03:16 PM

How big is he now?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2020, 04:05 PM
How big is he now?

I'm not sure if his exact weight. He'll likely play at around 285-290lbs this season.

Homedawg
05-06-2020, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure if his exact weight. He'll likely play at around 285-290lbs this season.

Not really responding to your post it just fit here.....If we play this fall people are going to notice the changes on weight in a bad way. And that's not going to be because of no s/c but because moreso due to the lack of proper food for 4/5 months.

Bothrops
05-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Not really responding to your post it just fit here.....If we play this fall people are going to notice the changes on weight in a bad way. And that's not going to be because of no s/c but because moreso due to the lack of proper food for 4/5 months.

This is likely true, but we shouldn't be the only ones dealing with it. I could see attrition in fall camp due to this alone.

Homedawg
05-06-2020, 08:58 PM
This is likely true, but we shouldn't be the only ones dealing with it. I could see attrition in fall camp due to this alone.

Yeah I didn't mean just us. Just the entire football community. Mommas fried chicken is not what they get here or anywhere these days.

Cowbell
05-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Yeah I didn't mean just us. Just the entire football community. Mommas fried chicken is not what they get here or anywhere these days.

I agree 100% on this. Mike Gundy had a local pressor a month ago and was livid for this exact reason. You could tell in his voice he knew his players were not going to be physically ready. (He wanted the players to be able to stay on campus and work out unless sick)

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Yup. They were tampering

I think the Genespage crew does a pretty job overall but it's pretty funny when they make fun of message boards rumors only to wrong a week later.

Turfdawg67
05-12-2020, 09:39 PM
Yup. They were tampering

I think the Genespage crew does a pretty job overall but it's pretty funny when they make fun of message boards rumors only to wrong a week later.

Does that mean he's gone?

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Does that mean he's gone?

IDK. You'd hate to see a 3 year starter walk out on his teammates.

Dawgology
05-12-2020, 11:29 PM
Mullen: goes to Florida because more talent better opportunity

Also Mullen: still grabbing MSU recruits and now actual players from MSU roster.

Cooterpoot
05-12-2020, 11:33 PM
FL has taken our baseball, football, and tennis coaches, along with our alumni AD. Why not an OL? Hell, I wish they'd take our president and basketball coach.

Todd4State
05-13-2020, 12:57 AM
If we're going to lose an OL I would choose Reese honestly. I don't think he's all that good. His feet look really slow to me.

LT- Cross
LG- Parker
C- Sharp
RG- Eiland
RT- Lashley

I could roll with that.

Todd4State
05-13-2020, 12:58 AM
FL has taken our baseball, football, and tennis coaches, along with our alumni AD. Why not an OL? Hell, I wish they'd take our president and basketball coach.

Sloppy seconds.**

basedog
05-13-2020, 07:03 AM
If we're going to lose an OL I would choose Reese honestly. I don't think he's all that good. His feet look really slow to me.

LT- Cross
LG- Parker
C- Sharp
RG- Eiland
RT- Lashley

I could roll with that.

I'm not sure about Lashley, hope he becomes all Sec, I guess I'm hoping Reese stays at Msu.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-13-2020, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure about Lashley, hope he becomes all Sec, I guess I'm hoping Reese stays at Msu.

Lashley would likely slide inside instead of Eiland.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 07:56 AM
So Reese has been attending daily position Zoom meetings with the team while Florida is reporting that he's transferring there & now info comes out that that may very well be the case?

Completely shady on both Reese & Florida's part. The transfer portal is there for a reason. You don't go behind the back of your teammates & work a second angle.

Another issue with this quarantine. This likely isn't an issue if kids are on campus with their teammates

basedog
05-13-2020, 08:24 AM

Might be a better move for him inside. Question is can he play? I realize he was at Bama and played very few snaps, his recruiting was very strange but again Hev gonna be Hev I suppose.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 08:33 AM
If Reese leaves, it's not a good thing, but, if you're looking for a silver lining, it's this:

We have quality depth on the OL & with Reese being a SR, he wasn't part of the long term plan anyway. Thus we are able to start a younger guy that builds experience & that allows us to better down the road.

It's still not good to lose Reese & pretty embarrassing to lose a starter to another SEC school.

Johnson85
05-13-2020, 08:33 AM
I agree 100% on this. Mike Gundy had a local pressor a month ago and was livid for this exact reason. You could tell in his voice he knew his players were not going to be physically ready. (He wanted the players to be able to stay on campus and work out unless sick)

It really is ridiculous that we would send college students in general away from a college town, but it's especially crazy that we would take division one athletes, and say, we're worried about your health. Why don't you leave these world class nutrition, training, and healthcare we provide and go to a household that has a reasonable chance of being lower income and a very small chance of being able to replicate the environment we provide.

AT the end, there needs to be real consequences for some of the stupid decisions that have been made. It's one thing to make a good faith decision and just be wrong, but if you are going to take decision making away from local actors, and it turns out you made a stupid 17ing decision because you didn't understand the facts on the ground or didn't have the ability to make reasoned distinctions b/c you took on more responsibility than you could handle, you should face consequences. There's a reason people with the most information should generally be allowed to make decisions, and you shouldn't be able to take the decision making away from those people and then be "how was I to know?". That's exactly why you don't try to run people's lives from hundreds of miles away.

ZedFedder
05-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Here is where the truth of the whole deal is to me. Would it hurt to lose him from a talent perspective? Yes. You can say it wouldn’t be a loss all you want but there is a reason he is a starter. It would hurt. The other side of the coin is this... if he doesn’t want to be here, or even has a shaky enough commitment to MSU and his teammates that he would entertain this, do I really want a guy like that here? No. Ultimately, no matter how talented you are, if you do not want to be a part of something, then you need to leave. So would it hurt? Yes and no. I do think we have more talent in the OL than ever.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-13-2020, 09:34 AM
If Reese leaves, it's not a good thing, but, if you're looking for a silver lining, it's this:

We have quality depth on the OL & with Reese being a SR, he wasn't part of the long term plan anyway. Thus we are able to start a younger guy that builds experience & that allows us to better down the road.

It's still not good to lose Reese & pretty embarrassing to lose a starter to another SEC school.

Reese leaves it wouldn't be a younger guy starting. Lashley would play RG.

BB30
05-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Here is where the truth of the whole deal is to me. Would it hurt to lose him from a talent perspective? Yes. You can say it wouldn’t be a loss all you want but there is a reason he is a starter. It would hurt. The other side of the coin is this... if he doesn’t want to be here, or even has a shaky enough commitment to MSU and his teammates that he would entertain this, do I really want a guy like that here? No. Ultimately, no matter how talented you are, if you do not want to be a part of something, then you need to leave. So would it hurt? Yes and no. I do think we have more talent in the OL than ever.

Absolutely, if he isn't 100% Dawg then he needs to be gone tomorrow. If any of this is true and I'm Leach I am cutting him lose regardless if he is communicating with UF. Go ahead and set a precedent that we won't be putting up with players flirting with other programs.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Absolutely, if he isn't 100% Dawg then he needs to be gone tomorrow. If any of this is true and I'm Leach I am cutting him lose regardless if he is communicating with UF. Go ahead and set a precedent that we won't be putting up with players flirting with other programs.

I agree with this.

Apparently the kid hasn't been forthright while sitting in on Zoom meetings & other team stuff.

If he wants to leave, the transfer portal is available for that. It's just wrong to be snooping around your own team's back while acting as a functioning member of the team.

Cooterpoot
05-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Wait, Reese is a starter and good enough to piss off fans because FL is trying to pull him but we should tell him to hit the road? Get out of here with that crap! Reese is a solid player. It would be a loss if he leaves. He can play G or T.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Due to the Reese situation, I've been considering how to fix things like this.

I think the transfer portal needs deadlines.

For example: If you want to enter the transfer portal, you have to enter by a certain date & then transfers would have the ability to start signing with other schools exactly a month or two later on a certain date.

It's not fair to programs that have players drag this out because they don't know if they'll need to fill a spot or not & it's not really fair to the transfers because all they're real options may not be known at the time they make their decision on where to transfer.

Just like signing day, there just needs be an entry & exit portal deadline that streamlines the process & allows coaches to make decisions with complete information.

How many OL transfers have we passed on this year already because we didn't know that Reese may transfer? How many OL transfers would may have loved to sign with MSU, but we didn't have a spot?

Again, just like free agent deadlines & signing days, the transfer portal needs some organization & calendar deadlines that streamline it.

Johnson85
05-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Wait, Reese is a starter and good enough to piss off fans because FL is trying to pull him but we should tell him to hit the road? Get out of here with that crap! Reese is a solid player. It would be a loss if he leaves. He can play G or T.

It will be a loss if he leaves and anybody saying differently is crazy. Even if he is as "bad" as some people are saying, he is basically our 6th OL and as you say, can play OG or OT.

That said, I don't think it'd be crazy for the Staff to take the position of, if you want to explore options, we need to know so we can explore options, and anybody looking to leave us in the lurch by trying to firm up their options before letting us know is out. Not sure that'd be smart, and I think this would be a relatively dumb place to start that precedent, where there is a brother on the team and a former relationship with the coaches. But I can see the arguments for it.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 01:51 PM

He is a good player. The Reese situation is the exact type of situation that makes many fans apprehensive about opening up the transfers across college football.

Everyone is OK with guy that has playing time concerns transferring, but when SEC starters begin transferring to other SEC schools, that's not healthy for the sport or conference.

HancockCountyDog
05-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Has anyone actually confirmed anything about the situation?

I hope like hell Reese stays, our depth on the OL is maybe our biggest issue going into next season. We are extremely thin. We do not need to lose a 3 year starter that can play multiple positions.

TheLostDawg
05-13-2020, 01:54 PM

I agree. You want guys that believe in the program. Not fair to teammates, coaches, fans, etc. You want guys that want to be there because of they don't, when recruits come in, it's a lot harder to sell the program.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 01:57 PM

I hope like hell Reese stays, our depth on the OL is maybe our biggest issue going into next season. We are extremely thin. We do not need to lose a 3 year starter that can play multiple positions.

No one really knows except maybe Reese himself.

Our OL depth is an issue? I don't agree with that.

If I had to guess on the Reese situation, I'd bet this is what's happening....

He's at home right now with his brother & I'm sure Florida is doing all the same Zoom stuff we are. The coaches are probably tampering with him while his brother is on Florida Zoom calls, but Reese feels bad about it because he knows he's cheating on his team by talking to the Florida coaches on his brother's Zoom call. However, the pressure continues to exist because the Florida coaches are probably putting pressure on the brother to recruit Stewart & he can't leave the house to get away from it all.

What really needs to happen is for Cohen to give Stricklin a call & tell him to tell Dan & Hev to cut that shit out

HancockCountyDog
05-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Our OL depth is an issue? I don't agree with that.

Just my thoughts, but we have:

Eiland, Parker, Reese are both 3 year players that I expect t play a ton this year.

Sharp is a starter and I think Cross is the other starter.

Behind them we have Cole Smith, Dolla Bill, Brandon Cunningham none of which have played at all.

Reese leaves that would leave us with Sharp, Parker, Eiland, Cross and Lashley. Behind them would be basically zero snaps. I just don't see how that is adequate depth.

ShotgunDawg
05-13-2020, 03:09 PM

Eiland, Parker, Reese are both 3 year players that I expect t play a ton this year.

Behind them we have Cole Smith, Dolla Bill, Brandon Cunningham none of which have played at all.

Reese leaves that would leave us with Sharp, Parker, Eiland, Cross and Lashley. Behind them would be basically zero snaps. I just don't see how that is adequate depth.

You have Pendley as well. We have a quality 2 deep on the OL. I don't see an issue unless your just greedy

Jack Lambert
05-13-2020, 03:12 PM

I would be worried with Moorhead's offense. Not too much with this one.

MaroonFlounder
05-14-2020, 01:43 PM
I think we now know. Dan stabbed us in the back.

deltadawg63
05-14-2020, 01:53 PM
If I am the coach and based on current transfer processes, if one enters the portal, I go ahead and plan for him to be gone and replace him in depth chart. Reese will be missed from an experience and depth stand point for sure. We really need for practice and repetition with the QB and the receivers. Timing and chemistry in passing game could take time. If teams zone defense against us due to short drops and quick throws, a wrong cut or "missed" route could be an interception, especially in the SEC.

Bothrops
05-15-2020, 08:00 PM
If I am the coach and based on current transfer processes, if one enters the portal, I go ahead and plan for him to be gone and replace him in depth chart. Reese will be missed from an experience and depth stand point for sure. We really need for practice and repetition with the QB and the receivers. Timing and chemistry in passing game could take time. If teams zone defense against us due to short drops and quick throws, a wrong cut or "missed" route could be an interception, especially in the SEC.

I think this is why some predict us to go 5-7.

maroonmania
05-15-2020, 08:10 PM

I try to be optimistic, but I really can't see a three year starter putting his name in the transfer portal and then deciding to stay. That would be a totally weird turn of events.