PDA

View Full Version : So if a conference decides not to play this fall

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-04-2020, 02:43 PM
how fast do you think their grad transfers will hit the portal and start calling schools to say I'm available? That could get really interesting. If the Pac-12 decides not to play, wouldn't you think if Wash. St. had some grads that they would be calling Leach. And what about Costello calling some of his buddies saying come play in the SEC with me. Something to think about going forward.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 03:28 PM
interesting question ... I would guess this is an NCAA issue over a conference issue

coachnorm
05-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Even if this was to be considered, is a program going to pull a scholarship to make room for a transfer, of this type, by putting a hatchet in a commits back? Bad for future recruiting?

Dawgology
05-04-2020, 07:52 PM
how fast do you think their grad transfers will hit the portal and start calling schools to say I'm available? That could get really interesting. If the Pac-12 decides not to play, wouldn't you think if Wash. St. had some grads that they would be calling Leach. And what about Costello calling some of his buddies saying come play in the SEC with me. Something to think about going forward.

Probably depends on timing too. If they don't announce that they aren't playing until say July/August it may be too late to transfer and play next season. They will probably just award and extra year of eligibility.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Probably depends on timing too. If they don't announce that they aren't playing until say July/August it may be too late to transfer and play next season. They will probably just award and extra year of eligibility.
August 24th last day to drop/add class at MSU.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-04-2020, 11:25 PM
Even if this was to be considered, is a program going to pull a scholarship to make room for a transfer, of this type, by putting a hatchet in a commits back? Bad for future recruiting?

I'm not talking about pulling anyone's scholarship and commits have nothing to do with a grad transfer wanting to play this fall.

We're speculated to have a few more transfers before the season starts. If we have 81 on scholarship going into this fall and have a couple of spots to fill and the Pac-12 says on July 15 that they aren't going to play, then we have room to take some grad transfers who could play this fall and be out of here before any commits are even enrolled for next year. This is the scenario I'm talking about. I'm sure there are some guys who are listed as seniors this fall who have already graduated but are planning to play their final year of eligibility. However, if their conference shuts it down this year, they may not want to wait another year to play their final year, especially if they have graduated. Those are the guys I'm talking about.

Ari Gold
05-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Then they are stupid..

coachnorm
05-05-2020, 12:47 AM
I'm not talking about pulling anyone's scholarship and commits have nothing to do with a grad transfer wanting to play this fall.

We're speculated to have a few more transfers before the season starts. If we have 81 on scholarship going into this fall and have a couple of spots to fill and the Pac-12 says on July 15 that they aren't going to play, then we have room to take some grad transfers who could play this fall and be out of here before any commits are even enrolled for next year. This is the scenario I'm talking about. I'm sure there are some guys who are listed as seniors this fall who have already graduated but are planning to play their final year of eligibility. However, if their conference shuts it down this year, they may not want to wait another year to play their final year, especially if they have graduated. Those are the guys I'm talking about.

I am not totally tuned into how many openings are at MSU so I am just questioning fellow Elitedoggers about fitting in grad transfers this late in the calendar year. I tend to believe that a P5 school especially a SEC school would have their positions filled by this time so how does a grad transfer access a program if all scholarships are filled? I am not singling us out, I'm just curious how this plays out for everyone. Are there programs that have not filled their rosters after this much time after national letter of intent day?

msbulldog
05-05-2020, 05:56 AM
I am not totally tuned into how many openings are at MSU so I am just questioning fellow Elitedoggers about fitting in grad transfers this late in the calendar year. I tend to believe that a P5 school especially a SEC school would have their positions filled by this time so how does a grad transfer access a program if all scholarships are filled? I am not singling us out, I'm just curious how this plays out for everyone. Are there programs that have not filled their rosters after this much time after national letter of intent day?

We were docked 2 because of tutor-gate so we can have 83. KT and that freshman OL left so we have 81 scollies committed.

KentuckyDawg13
05-06-2020, 01:44 PM
Expect a lot of redshirts. My son is thinking of going that route if the 2021 season (swimming @ UofL) doesn't start.

Jack Lambert
05-06-2020, 02:57 PM
They are playing football. Some shape or some form. They are playing. No telling the format might be but they are going to play. Too many teams will not be able to survive. Athletic Departments will have not money to operate or pay salaries. Booster clubs will not have pledges coming in to pay coaches salary. I have paid for my season tickets but if there is no football I will not pay my pledge. They will have to either give a refund or credit for next season. Everyone from the President of The United States down to the Governors to the Chancellors know this. Side Note: I would be cool only playing 12 SEC schools. Six home games and six road games. They could also just have a Madden NFL tournament on the Jumbo Tron.