PDA

View Full Version : Would You Go to a Football Game Today

confucius say
05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Saw today where ark AD said they will start practice mid July and play sept 5. Still four months away, but got me to thinking: if the season started today would you feel comfortable going? If new cases are 0 in September, will you go?

Commercecomet24
05-04-2020, 01:00 PM
I'd go.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Definitely ... but I consider myself to be healthy enough to get through Corona if contracted ..... I'm doing it now. Twice this weekend went to my favorite bar and grill along with two trips to Bass Pro

Jacksondevildog
05-04-2020, 01:06 PM
If we played today, I would already be in Starkville.

deltadawg63
05-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Absolutely.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Today? No. A month from now with improved numbers? Probably. This fall with improved numbers? Yes.

crackerjax
05-04-2020, 01:17 PM
No doubt. If you are elderly or have serious underlying conditions, just stay home or go at your own risk.

Turfdawg67
05-04-2020, 01:25 PM
Not if the cups still stink.***

StarkVegasSteve
05-04-2020, 01:30 PM
If we were playing today, I'd be in the Junction more than a few beers deep.

Commercecomet24
05-04-2020, 01:33 PM

Rep Given! Lol

Leeshouldveflanked
05-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Yep

Dawgfan77
05-04-2020, 01:44 PM
Yep and wouldn't think twice about it

Jarius
05-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Yes

msu15
05-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Nope, not selfish and not going to put others at risk.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 02:29 PM

If you're at a game then you aren't the one putting anyone else at risk ... they are putting themselves at risk by going in the first place ... and there's nothing selfish about it

Liverpooldawg
05-04-2020, 02:39 PM
If you're at a game then you aren't the one putting anyone else at risk ... they are putting themselves at risk by going in the first place ... and there's nothing selfish about it

You are dead wrong there. As it stands now, and that was the question, if you are part of a crowd you are putting others at risk. That's what most people can't seem to get through their heads, it's not about you.

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Assuming you don't have the virus before you go to the game, and are going to self quarantine for 14 days after the game - then you are correct, you are really only putting yourself at risk.

If you are going to interact with people after the game, then yeah - you are risking a lot of people. Problem is that most people that will go to a football game right now, are most likely not going to self quarantine for 14 days after the game.

That means that your risk - is now everyone who you come into contact with risk as well. How is that fair to someone who may not think its worth the risk?

This seems to be the biggest problem about starting back.

QuadrupleOption
05-04-2020, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't but I have underlying health issues that put me at higher risk. having said that, if football started up tomorrow I'd be watching it on TV and drinking beer in my living room.

Commercecomet24
05-04-2020, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't but I have underlying health issues that put me at higher risk. having said that, if football started up tomorrow I'd be watching it on TV and drinking beer in my living room.

Stay safe and healthy!

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 03:04 PM
You are dead wrong there. As it stands now, and that was the question, if you are part of a crowd you are putting others at risk. That's what most people can't seem to get through their heads, it's not about you.

this is the exact response I would expect from you .... anyone that's out and about is putting themselves at risk ./.. not me - you're type is always looking to lay blame somewhere else .... stay your ass inside then

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Assuming you don't have the virus before you go to the game, and are going to self quarantine for 14 days after the game - then you are correct, you are really only putting yourself at risk.

If you are going to interact with people after the game, then yeah - you are risking a lot of people. Problem is that most people that will go to a football game right now, are most likely not going to self quarantine for 14 days after the game.

That means that your risk - is now everyone who you come into contact with risk as well. How is that fair to someone who may not think its worth the risk?

and if I run into those people it means THEY are out and about ... so who actually is at fault ? I will add that if I knew I had it or even had symptoms of it I would self quarantine but don't blame the rest of us when there are delivery services that will bring groceries to your door .... or food delivery services that will do the same ... or family members that can provide for needs .... grocery stores and pharmacies have special hours to help with the risk of exposure .... I get your point Hancock and it has some merit to it but when you break it down to the root - very very few actually HAVE to go out - it's more from desire than necessity

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2020, 03:44 PM

Smelly cups make us immune to COVID-19

SheltonChoked
05-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Saw today where ark AD said they will start practice mid July and play sept 5. Still four months away, but got me to thinking: if the season started today would you feel comfortable going? If new cases are 0 in September, will you go?

I live with a person on immunosuppressants, so no.

If I was not, Still no for today.

Maybe in September, but I doubt it then as well.

Todd4State
05-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Yes. Absolutely.

SheltonChoked
05-04-2020, 03:56 PM

Lot's on here do not understand how Germs work....

And still have not learned that you are contagious, without symptoms, for 5+ days with Covid...

Joebob
05-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Not no, but hell no.

By the way, all of you that assume you?re healthy enough to withstand the virus, you do know about cytokine storms and blood clots, right?

DeputyDawg94
05-04-2020, 04:30 PM
No, but it’s not because I’m worried about me. I don’t want to bring it home to my wife and kids. My job requires me to be in the public every time I go to work so I’m risking it anyway.

Todd4State
05-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Not no, but hell no.

By the way, all of you that assume you?re healthy enough to withstand the virus, you do know about cytokine storms and blood clots, right?

I know my chances of surviving Coronavirus is 99%. I'll play those odds.

Joebob
05-04-2020, 04:57 PM
and if I run into those people it means THEY are out and about ... so who actually is at fault ? I will add that if I knew I had it or even had symptoms of it I would self quarantine but don't blame the rest of us when there are delivery services that will bring groceries to your door .... or food delivery services that will do the same ... or family members that can provide for needs .... grocery stores and pharmacies have special hours to help with the risk of exposure .... I get your point Hancock and it has some merit to it but when you break it down to the root - very very few actually HAVE to go out - it's more from desire than necessity

Some people still have to go to the doctor though. Not everything can be done via telemedicine. I had to take my car in to be inspected today because the state of Texas chose not to extend the grace period (and none of the Bubbas there were wearing face masks). Also, I would imagine a lot of small communities don’t have grocery home delivery. So no matter how you cut it, you can’t totally self isolate even if you wanted to. People that have decided to go back to normal should remember that they are still putting other people at risk when they don’t practice social distancing. I’m trying to be respectful of other people’s need to go back to work. It would be nice if they would somewhat reciprocate.

Bubb Rubb
05-04-2020, 04:57 PM

I hate comments like this because it's meant to virtue signal and shame others.

I'd be there today, and I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about it.

Political Hack
05-04-2020, 05:03 PM

Thank you.

MaroonFlounder
05-04-2020, 05:07 PM
I can't help but think that the people that don't want fans to go to any games, no dine in at restaurants, no concert goers, etc. are the ones that just want the trump economy to crash and burn.

mo7888
05-04-2020, 05:17 PM

Absolutely I'd go..

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Look - I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I know a ton of folks that are just trying to make it week by week and working jobs because they want to keep a roof over their hear - its not like they are choosing to go to a bar or a concert.

They are working and I think most of them are expecting the rest of us to do our part to make sure they aren't exposed. As much as I would love to watch a sporting event right now - hell I'd pay 30 bucks to watch SEC tennis at this point - I'm not sure its smart. Now, hopefully that is a lot different come September. That is almost 4 months away.

Maybe my point of view is skewed because I know someone who died from covid and someone who was in the hospital for 3 weeks on a vent and just came home. These were healthy people too.

Also - I really disagree with your statement that very, very few actually have to go out, most people down on the coast need to go outside of their home to earn a living. Are some people still doing what they would normally do? Sure, but I think a lot of people are doing their best to socially distance and not spread the virus. I think putting 60K in a football stadium for 4 hours is probably not the best idea, regardless of how much I may want it.

Sienfield
05-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Some of the folks here must already be at the game because they keep moving the goal posts. The stay in place was to make sure the hospitals didn't get overcrowded. Everyone will get exposed to it. STAY FOCUSED PEOPLE!

Jack Lambert
05-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Hell yeah! I will not live in fear.

Homedawg
05-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Look - I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I know a ton of folks that are just trying to make it week by week and working jobs because they want to keep a roof over their hear - its not like they are choosing to go to a bar or a concert.

They are working and I think most of them are expecting the rest of us to do our part to make sure they aren't exposed. As much as I would love to watch a sporting event right now - hell I'd pay 30 bucks to watch SEC tennis at this point - I'm not sure its smart. Now, hopefully that is a lot different come September. That is almost 4 months away.

Maybe my point of view is skewed because I know someone who died from covid and someone who was in the hospital for 3 weeks on a vent and just came home. These were healthy people too.

Also - I really disagree with your statement that very, very few actually have to go out, most people down on the coast need to go outside of their home to earn a living. Are some people still doing what they would normally do? Sure, but I think a lot of people are doing their best to socially distance and not spread the virus. I think putting 60K in a football stadium for 4 hours is probably not the best idea, regardless of how much I may want it.

So going to the grocery is ok?? If you want to be the example you expect. You shouldn't go there either. Nowhere in fact.

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2020, 06:33 PM
So going to the grocery is ok?? If you want to be the example you expect. You shouldn't go there either. Nowhere in fact.

Are you really comparing going to the grocery to get food for your family for maybe 20 minutes while doing your best to avoid coming within 6 feet of anyone is the same as going to a football game with 60K people for 4 hours for something completely discretionary? You are a better poster than that.

Most of the people I know are doing insta cart or food delivery services. I know that I'm paying for my mother's groceries to be delivered because I don't want her going to the grocery.

Its all about doing our part. I don't judge people for having to do what they need to do to earn a living. We all need to put food on the table for our families. We don't need to go watch football in a crowded football stadium for 4 hours. Do I want to? Absolutely! Of course I do.

Wanting it to be the right thing to do versus it actually it being the right thing to do is two different things at this juncture. Hopefully in two months we will have figured this out.

RocketDawg
05-04-2020, 06:50 PM

That's a little circular. :)

RocketDawg
05-04-2020, 06:54 PM
No, I'd not go. I've got a few reasons, among them it's too far, have had bypass surgery, and am "old". But I don't have to make that decision - didn't buy season tickets last year for the first time in many, many years.

I'll just watch on television. I'm still a BDC member though.

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2020, 06:56 PM
That's a little circular. :)

If you could only infect people at the game - and that somehow you were only contagious during the game and miraculously not contagious after the game ended - I would have no problem with the game being played. Everyone would know the risk going in - and to each his own. Hell I'd probably risk it too. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. I sure as hell wish it did.

Its the people that don't go to the game that end up getting infected by a healthy 25 year old that is showing no symptoms back on the coast who are just doing their job.

Homedawg
05-04-2020, 06:56 PM
Are you really comparing going to the grocery to get food for your family for maybe 20 minutes while doing your best to avoid coming within 6 feet of anyone is the same as going to a football game with 60K people for 4 hours for something completely discretionary? You are a better poster than that.

Most of the people I know are doing insta cart or food delivery services. I know that I'm paying for my mother's groceries to be delivered because I don't want her going to the grocery.

Its all about doing our part. I don't judge people for having to do what they need to do to earn a living. We all need to put food on the table for our families. We don't need to go watch football in a crowded football stadium for 4 hours. Do I want to? Absolutely! Of course I do.

Wanting it to be the right thing to do versus it actually it being the right thing to do is two different things at this juncture. Hopefully in two months we will have figured this out.

No it's not equal. I agree. But the grocery store and Lowe's and places like that are zoos. People on top of people. People touching things. My point is, if you want to be safe, and completely safe, you don't need to be out at all!! I've said this before and I'll say it again, this isnt going away w social distancing or anything else. It's going to have to run its course. Sadly, people will get sick. Some will die. But without a month total lockdown, nothing can change that. And even then I don't think it's possible.

ScottH
05-04-2020, 07:01 PM
My main concern in and out of stadium in crowds

This is what I'd recommend.
1. Lose the metal detectors for this year.
2. Staggered assigned entrance times.
3. No concession lines. - Order by App and bring it to me and/or a metric ton of credit card accepting vending machines throughout.
4. Lotsa porta john's with disinfecting crew and controlled access.
5. Require masks.
6. Play ball.

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2020, 07:07 PM
No it's not equal. I agree. But the grocery store and Lowe's and places like that are zoos. People on top of people. People touching things. My point is, if you want to be safe, and completely safe, you don't need to be out at all!! I've said this before and I'll say it again, this isnt going away w social distancing or anything else. It's going to have to run its course. Sadly, people will get sick. Some will die. But without a month total lockdown, nothing can change that. And even then I don't think it's possible.

Oh I'm with you there. People are tired of it. I'm tired of it. I've got family members dying to start youth baseball. I don't understand the Lowe's and Wal-mart thing, its nuts. Hopefully it won't lead to an increase in cases, because every Lowe's in the country appears packed.

Maybe the next few months will be rough, but the hospitals will be ready for it, I'm not sure. Maybe it won't be that bad. I know Alabama had the second most new cases yesterday.

People are hurting, both economically and mentally. A ****ing football game right now is what I want more than anything. **** - I'd take a spring game. I'd take a 2005 Croom coached MSU team against a 2011 Saban led Bama team. I just want to drive up for a game and think about something other than the collapse of our economy for 4 hours.

All that being said, I also don't want this to spread any faster than it has to.

Rexxx
05-04-2020, 07:25 PM
I would go today

Homedawg
05-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Oh I'm with you there. People are tired of it. I'm tired of it. I've got family members dying to start youth baseball. I don't understand the Lowe's and Wal-mart thing, its nuts. Hopefully it won't lead to an increase in cases, because every Lowe's in the country appears packed.

Maybe the next few months will be rough, but the hospitals will be ready for it, I'm not sure. Maybe it won't be that bad. I know Alabama had the second most new cases yesterday.

People are hurting, both economically and mentally. A ****ing football game right now is what I want more than anything. **** - I'd take a spring game. I'd take a 2005 Croom coached MSU team against a 2011 Saban led Bama team. I just want to drive up for a game and think about something other than the collapse of our economy for 4 hours.

All that being said, I also don't want this to spread any faster than it has to.

I think your last sentence is really the issue. W a quick spread, so to speak, we might be overwhelmed. Wo a quick spread the country is screwed economically for a longgg long time. I don't think the end result as far as peope that get it and die from it are any different. I really don't.

Commercecomet24
05-04-2020, 08:27 PM
I think your last sentence is really the issue. W a quick spread, so to speak, we might be overwhelmed. Wo a quick spread the country is screwed economically for a longgg long time. I don't think the end result as far as peope that get it and die from it are any different. I really don't.

This is the way I see it as well.

starkvegasdawg
05-04-2020, 08:47 PM
I can't help but think that the people that don't want fans to go to any games, no dine in at restaurants, no concert goers, etc. are the ones that just want the trump economy to crash and burn.

Not true as far as I'm concerned. I voted for Trump in 2016 and will do so again this year. I want nothing but the best for the economy.

But my job is considered essential so I have to go to work. That means I have to get gas for my car once a week. But believe me, aside from that, the only time I'm not at home is when we go get curbside pick up groceries or a local restaurant. There is no inside Lowe's or Walmart. Both my wife and I have pre-existing conditions that make us more likely to have a worse reaction. Our parents have even more and doubtful they would survive a case of it. My mother in law had cancer surgery about a month or so ago. My wife has not seen her since they started advocating the shelter in place because her dad has leukemia. So she has two parents with cancer she hasn't seen in close to three months. I see first hand the pain this is causing every day.

So I'm for everything that can be done to keep them safe. I'm for whatever I can do to keep my wife and I safe as is like to see my kids grow up. To me, going to a football game is not worth the risk and neither is eating inside a restaurant. I get it, though. People are hurting. Businesses are closing. I hate it. I wish it wasn't the case. I think this could have been handled differently earlier on and it would have shortened the time period we would have had to deal with it. But we chose to straddle the fence.

Ezsoil
05-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Nope I'll never get it through my head ...it's about personal responsibility...I'll protect myself and not worry what others do....

MaroonFlounder
05-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Not true as far as I'm concerned. I voted for Trump in 2016 and will do so again this year. I want nothing but the best for the economy.

But my job is considered essential so I have to go to work. That means I have to get gas for my car once a week. But believe me, aside from that, the only time I'm not at home is when we go get curbside pick up groceries or a local restaurant. There is no inside Lowe's or Walmart. Both my wife and I have pre-existing conditions that make us more likely to have a worse reaction. Our parents have even more and doubtful they would survive a case of it. My mother in law had cancer surgery about a month or so ago. My wife has not seen her since they started advocating the shelter in place because her dad has leukemia. So she has two parents with cancer she hasn't seen in close to three months. I see first hand the pain this is causing every day.

So I'm for everything that can be done to keep them safe. I'm for whatever I can do to keep my wife and I safe as is like to see my kids grow up. To me, going to a football game is not worth the risk and neither is eating inside a restaurant. I get it, though. People are hurting. Businesses are closing. I hate it. I wish it wasn't the case. I think this could have been handled differently earlier on and it would have shortened the time period we would have had to deal with it. But we chose to straddle the fence.

Yeah, I think out of frustration, I kinda painted with a broad brush with my statement.

I do wish you and your family well. I totally understand your situation.

One of my best friends is a business owner in Starkville, and I worry that his business may close. It sucks.

parabrave
05-04-2020, 09:05 PM
Was at the games in Biloxi and would be at any game tomorrow

Ezsoil
05-04-2020, 09:38 PM
If you could only infect people at the game - and that somehow you were only contagious during the game and miraculously not contagious after the game ended - I would have no problem with the game being played. Everyone would know the risk going in - and to each his own. Hell I'd probably risk it too. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. I sure as hell wish it did.

Its the people that don't go to the game that end up getting infected by a healthy 25 year old that is showing no symptoms back on the coast who are just doing their job.

Did you ever think that person on the coast has the responsibility to protect themselves? .... it all comes down to individual responsibility...protect yourself and you don't have to worry what others do....

Jack Lambert
05-04-2020, 10:07 PM

3. No concession lines. - Order by App and bring it to me and/or a metric ton of credit card accepting vending machines throughout.
5. Require masks.
6. Play ball.

HOw will you eat and drink with a mask? Once you pull it up you have defeated the whole purpose. It is going to real hot and humid. The first seven games mask will not be needed.

HancockCountyDog
05-05-2020, 01:09 AM
Did you ever think that person on the coast has the responsibility to protect themselves? .... it all comes down to individual responsibility...protect yourself and you don't have to worry what others do....

When that person has to work to put food on the table and he gets infected because some Oxford frat douchebags go to a football game and the poor schmuck who is just trying to get a paycheck ends up with it, you?re ok with that?

Look, we are in a fight with this crap virus. It?s a bloody war. I?ve never seen a war won with individuals. We win wars as a united country. At the end of the day, I don?t want to do anything that makes it easier for this disease to spread and potentially kills my friends mother or father or maybe someone?s grandparents.

Putting the football game question aside I do hope we all get on the same page, whatever that page may be that is best to beat this crap. I don?t think everyone doing what is best for them is what is best for our country. Just my thoughts.

FlabLoser
05-05-2020, 02:07 AM
Hell yes.

Todd4State
05-05-2020, 02:26 AM
When that person has to work to put food on the table and he gets infected because some Oxford frat douchebags go to a football game and the poor schmuck who is just trying to get a paycheck ends up with it, you?re ok with that?

Look, we are in a fight with this crap virus. It?s a bloody war. I?ve never seen a war won with individuals. We win wars as a united country. At the end of the day, I don?t want to do anything that makes it easier for this disease to spread and potentially kills my friends mother or father or maybe someone?s grandparents.

Putting the football game question aside I do hope we all get on the same page, whatever that page may be that is best to beat this crap. I don?t think everyone doing what is best for them is what is best for our country. Just my thoughts.

The only thing that can "beat" this is a vaccine or herd immunity. Staying inside and quarantining ourselves also may make the disease worse in the long run because it could cause the disease to last longer. There are advantages to exposure. There are disadvantages to quarantining ourselves for a long period of time too.

The bottom line for me is if you feel OK going out and doing things- do it. If you feel guilty about maybe getting someone sick or don't feel safe to go out- then don't.

But it's not anyone else's place to tell someone that they are being "selfish" or put them on a big guilt trip because they want to go out and live their life. It's also not my place to tell someone that doesn't feel safe that they don't have the right to stay inside. So yeah- it goes both ways.

The problem is somehow the focus has shifted from what flattening the curve was supposed to do and was intended to do which was not overwhelm the health care system so that we wouldn't be in a situation where we would have to pick and choose who gets a vent and who doesn't and make decisions like that. I'm in a hot spot and we haven't had to make those decisions. I'm very thankful for that. And here's the reality- yes, as we open things up there will be a spike. And the media will freak out and I probably won't be able to get toilet paper. But because we flattened the curve at least the people that need vents and things like that our healthcare system won't be overwhelmed and we will have actually saved lives because we won't have to make those difficult decisions. And I do envision that it won't be as bad as the first wave simply because more people have antibodies built up.

Somehow it has gotten to be we just need to stay inside until we wake up and this is gone- even if it takes years. And that's not the right way to approach this to beat it. You talk about it being a war- it's pretty rare to win a war by just hunkering down the entire time.

SheltonChoked
05-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Nope I'll never get it through my head ...it's about personal responsibility...I'll protect myself and not worry what others do....

So you will volunteer to get it today? And your family?

Is there no One you interact with that might be at higher risk?

SheltonChoked
05-05-2020, 04:40 AM

5. Require masks.
6. Play ball.

Ok. But even after all of that, you will be sitting next to people, who have the virus, for 3-4 hours.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-05-2020, 06:11 AM
If you are older than 60 or have pre-existing conditions stay at home. The mortality rate based on positive Covid cases for those under 60 is .004.... if you throw in the non symptomatic people who haven?t been tested, it will be even lower.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 07:36 AM
The only thing that can "beat" this is a vaccine or herd immunity. Staying inside and quarantining ourselves also may make the disease worse in the long run because it could cause the disease to last longer. There are advantages to exposure. There are disadvantages to quarantining ourselves for a long period of time too.

The bottom line for me is if you feel OK going out and doing things- do it. If you feel guilty about maybe getting someone sick or don't feel safe to go out- then don't.

But it's not anyone else's place to tell someone that they are being "selfish" or put them on a big guilt trip because they want to go out and live their life. It's also not my place to tell someone that doesn't feel safe that they don't have the right to stay inside. So yeah- it goes both ways.

The problem is somehow the focus has shifted from what flattening the curve was supposed to do and was intended to do which was not overwhelm the health care system so that we wouldn't be in a situation where we would have to pick and choose who gets a vent and who doesn't and make decisions like that. I'm in a hot spot and we haven't had to make those decisions. I'm very thankful for that. And here's the reality- yes, as we open things up there will be a spike. And the media will freak out and I probably won't be able to get toilet paper. But because we flattened the curve at least the people that need vents and things like that our healthcare system won't be overwhelmed and we will have actually saved lives because we won't have to make those difficult decisions. And I do envision that it won't be as bad as the first wave simply because more people have antibodies built up.

Somehow it has gotten to be we just need to stay inside until we wake up and this is gone- even if it takes years. And that's not the right way to approach this to beat it. You talk about it being a war- it's pretty rare to win a war by just hunkering down the entire time.

Yes. This.

Political Hack
05-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Death rates drop as Dr's get smarter about treating the virus and people get smarter about social distancing.

People who catch it next year will be much, much better off than people who catch it this year from a treatment standpoint. However, if the hospital system is overwhelmed because the people of the state of Mississippi decide to gather in 60,000-person football stadiums during the middle of a global pandemic, all bets are off. Y'all please stay the hell out of my mom's grocery store after y'all go to game. Thanks.

confucius say
05-05-2020, 08:18 AM
Death rates drop as Dr's get smarter about treating the virus and people get smarter about social distancing.

People who catch it next year will be much, much better off than people who catch it this year from a treatment standpoint. However, if the hospital system is overwhelmed because the people of the state of Mississippi decide to gather in 60,000-person football stadiums during the middle of a global pandemic, all bets are off. Y'all please stay the hell out of my mom's grocery store after y'all go to game. Thanks.

I get it. But this post highlights the two views perfectly. Your view as stated, and others' view of, I'm under 50 so if I get it there is a .002 chance I die and I'm good with that, but why in the world would your over 60 mother (I'm assuming age) be in a grocery store where she could get it from me and die?

Dawgface
05-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Probably not but I'm an old guy.

Political Hack
05-05-2020, 08:42 AM
I get it. But this post highlights the two views perfectly. Your view as stated, and others' view of, I'm under 50 so if I get it there is a .002 chance I die and I'm good with that, but why in the world would your over 60 mother (I'm assuming age) be in a grocery store where she could get it from me and die?

She isn't. But her instacart delivery person that I sent there is. He's going to touch everything you've touched and bring it to her. She's going to wipe it off and hope for the best. However, if COVID was not EVERYWHERE in the store, it makes it easier to avoid for her even though she hasn't left her home.

Without testing and tracing, we DO NOT have the date to effectively open and shut the economy across regions throughout the pandemic. We have to know the prevalence of the disease BEFORE opening up public access to economic drivers like major sporting events, concerts, festivals, flea markets, etc. . . Once we have testing and tracing available, you can realistically open select areas for regular activity with relatively low risk. The latency is only 2-5 days for symptomatic people, but knowing the prevalence of the virus in your area and how it's spreading before those 2-5 days make it obvious is pretty damn important for controlling the ICU bed space and avoiding another major healthcare crisis (PPE shortage, test shortage, swab shortage, vile shortage, etc...).

It's a balance, but you NEED data to manage the balance. The data we need comes from widespread testing to get statistically significant indicators of the saturation rate in your area. Until we have testing and tracing data, it is virtually
impossible to manage this well. It's akin to walking into a pitch black bathroom, pissing, and hoping it hits the toilet. It makes zero sense from a pandemic management standpoint and will do further harm to the economy by hurting business owners even worse (bleed them to death slowly as 20% of their restaurants fill up just so they can pay their workers while their own life savings dwindle and they build up additional debt). The economic rebound will be so much easier if we just control and manage the pace and give people the information they need to adjust accordingly.

Example: Jet fuel is backlogged. Can't unload it right now. Cargo containers are backing up at ports. That's not going to change because we "open." "White collar Jimmy" isn't jumping on a plane from LA to NYC this week because he wants to protect blue collar Johnny's job of shipping jet fuel. THE ECONOMY WILL FEEL THIS regardless. It's smarter to control and manage it than it is to just let it go, but free market economists aren't trained to think that way. They don't accept the fundamental truths of the doughnut model and think that "freedom of choice" is the only tool in the toolbox. It shows a huge lack of gray matter to not be able to understand that this is not a black and white situation. It's not as simple as open vs close. We should be debating 20% open or 60% open . . . AFTER we have the data to manage it. Anybody who suggest otherwise is uneducated or pushing self interests.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 08:49 AM

This.

gtowndawg
05-05-2020, 09:20 AM
I'd go and bring my boys with me. I would not hesitate.

HancockCountyDog
05-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Here is just the fundamental difference we have on this topic. I don't care if people want to go to the beach or go out to eat. Fine, to each his own. The transmission numbers based on that seem low and we all need to live our lives. Putting 60K to 100K in a stadium for 4 hours during a pandemic just goes beyond what we are talking about.

Also - how does someone not feel guilty if they get a loved one sick because they go to a football game and that person dies or ends up in the hospital? I would think that would be a universal truth. I mean who wouldn't feel guilty if that happened?

When you say "its also not my place to tell someone that doesn't feel safe that they have the right to stay inside" - you probably aren't that person's landlord or their children who depend on that obese middle aged dad to continue to work so that they can just get by. So what do you tell him? We live in Mississippi. Its one of the most unhealthy states in the country. This virus preys on the obese, diabetic, and unhealthy. Most people in MS have to leave the house to earn a living.

What do you say to these people? Stay inside? They need to work just like you and me. If the answer is simply "they're screwed, I'm living my life" then that's fine, but lets at least be honest. You can't have it both ways. If you want to go to a football game and run the risk of infecting people that are at high risk, that is obviously your choice, but lets be honest about the choice you are making.

gtowndawg
05-05-2020, 10:02 AM
If you want to go to a football game and run the risk of infecting people that are at high risk, that is obviously your choice, but lets be honest about the choice you are making.

Why would people that are at high risk be at the game in the first place?

HancockCountyDog
05-05-2020, 10:23 AM

You do realize that people that have the virus are contagious for anywhere between 7 to 14 days.

I wouldn't think an at risk person would be at the game. He will be at his/her job interacting with people that went to the game and that is where that person catches it. All he decided to do was make a living. He doesn't get to make the choice of going to the football game. He decided that he wanted to work and now potentially a lot more people have the damn virus because 60 to 100 thousand people decided to hang out together in a stadium for 4 hours.

Like I said before, if the virus wasn't contagious and the only people that could catch it, were the people at the game then I'd say play ball and everyone knows the risk.

The problem is the people that don't want to take the risk, but need to work to survive.

starkvegasdawg
05-05-2020, 10:26 AM

They don't have to be at the game to be affected by someone who was at the game. You can be contagious several days before showing symptoms...if you show symptoms.

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Here is just the fundamental difference we have on this topic. I don't care if people want to go to the beach or go out to eat. Fine, to each his own. The transmission numbers based on that seem low and we all need to live our lives. Putting 60K to 100K in a stadium for 4 hours during a pandemic just goes beyond what we are talking about.

Also - how does someone not feel guilty if they get a loved one sick because they go to a football game and that person dies or ends up in the hospital? I would think that would be a universal truth. I mean who wouldn't feel guilty if that happened?

When you say "its also not my place to tell someone that doesn't feel safe that they have the right to stay inside" - you probably aren't that person's landlord or their children who depend on that obese middle aged dad to continue to work so that they can just get by. So what do you tell him? We live in Mississippi. Its one of the most unhealthy states in the country. This virus preys on the obese, diabetic, and unhealthy. Most people in MS have to leave the house to earn a living.

What do you say to these people? Stay inside? They need to work just like you and me. If the answer is simply "they're screwed, I'm living my life" then that's fine, but lets at least be honest. You can't have it both ways. If you want to go to a football game and run the risk of infecting people that are at high risk, that is obviously your choice, but lets be honest about the choice you are making.

So you think MSU is going to be selling out games this year if football is played?

Even a place as big as Neyland wouldn't even reach half capacity. Don't act like there are going to be sell-out crowds this year at any sporting event.

Yes, I ask my Gma to stay inside. She can go to certain places. It's not a death sentence. I haven't heard her complain once about being "screwed" and hating on us for living our lives. She just tells me to be careful of course. The flu is a threat to the elderly and small children also. So I guess they are all screwed there too right?

I get your side of this completely but this mindset is like we are in kindergarten and get caught with a piece of candy and the teacher takes it away because we didn't bring enough for the rest of the class. Not all lives can or will or could have ever been saved during this. Don't pretend like they could have or will be. No, I'm not saying throw them to the wolves. They have to be responsible for their side of it also. They are just as obligated to say you can't come around if you have been around a lot of people or going out and doing your thing.

Also, my life hasn't changed that much since February other than having to actively search for TP for a bit at one point. Fortunately, I've had a job to work and come to every day. I just moved into a new house so I've had plenty of weekend projects to keep me occupied and around the house.

I also fish nearly every day and have gotten out and done stuff like hike and spend time outside as much as I have wanted. My normal routine. I'm also in TN if that makes a difference but it shouldn't because I'm pretty sure we have been under the same restrictions as MS up until this past weekend.

ETA: I would go to a game.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 10:43 AM

Exactly.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 10:46 AM
this is the exact response I would expect from you .... anyone that's out and about is putting themselves at risk ./.. not me - you're type is always looking to lay blame somewhere else .... stay your ass inside then

Actually YOU are trying to put the blame for you wanting to act irresponsibly on others. If you were only putting yourself at risk then I'd have no problem with it. Heck I'd be right there at the game with you if that were the case. It is very much NOT the case.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 10:47 AM
They don't have to be at the game to be affected by someone who was at the game. You can be contagious several days before showing symptoms...if you show symptoms.

Yep. It's probably a moot point. I don't think we play unless it's behind closed doors.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 10:53 AM
You do realize that people that have the virus are contagious for anywhere between 7 to 14 days.

I wouldn't think an at risk person would be at the game. He will be at his/her job interacting with people that went to the game and that is where that person catches it. All he decided to do was make a living. He doesn't get to make the choice of going to the football game. He decided that he wanted to work and now potentially a lot more people have the damn virus because 60 to 100 thousand people decided to hang out together in a stadium for 4 hours.

Like I said before, if the virus wasn't contagious and the only people that could catch it, were the people at the game then I'd say play ball and everyone knows the risk.

The problem is the people that don't want to take the risk, but need to work to survive.

Exactly. Very well said. In my case, I'm slightly at risk if I get it. The problem is my wife is highly at risk. She has to work, and much of it can't be done at home. She is a essential worker in an essential field. She isn't at much risk of exposure the way her work is set up. On the other hand I'm at extreme risk of getting by the nature of what I do. I'm also in a essential field. We can cut back what we do, but we can't cut it out completely and it is impossible to do at home. It's people like me and my wife that fools who show no responsibility are by their choices putting at risk. They are choosing for us. We have no choice.

gtowndawg
05-05-2020, 11:06 AM

The evidence shows this is nothing to worry about for 98% of people. I'm not worried for myself or my family. I don't listen to the hysteria, I look at the evidence and talk to my friends in the medical community (one of which is the director for a major hospital chain in the South). I doubt my Dad will go (he's older and has a heart issue) but he's the first one to say get out there and don't worry about it. I'm not going to lick the handrails at the games or anything like that but I'm certainly not going to live my life based on hypothetical what if's that make little to no sense (and the evidence is starting to debunk anyway). Heck, I'm far more concerned about the drive to the game. Sorry, we just see it different. Not going to argue about it though. That's what the COVID thread is for.

edited: I'm sure you guys are great Bulldogs, obviously I wish you nothing but great health and professional success. I want to be clear on that one.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 11:40 AM
The evidence shows this is nothing to worry about for 98% of people. I'm not worried for myself or my family. I don't listen to the hysteria, I look at the evidence and talk to my friends in the medical community (one of which is the director for a major hospital chain in the South). I doubt my Dad will go (he's older and has a heart issue) but he's the first one to say get out there and don't worry about it. I'm not going to lick the handrails at the games or anything like that but I'm certainly not going to live my life based on hypothetical what if's that make little to no sense (and the evidence is starting to debunk anyway). Heck, I'm far more concerned about the drive to the game. Sorry, we just see it different. Not going to argue about it though. That's what the COVID thread is for.

edited: I'm sure you guys are great Bulldogs, obviously I wish you nothing but great health and professional success. I want to be clear on that one.

So are you going to keep away from your Dad, no contact, for the entire football season. Are you going to be able to keep him away from anyone who has any degree of contact from those who went? And those who had contact with them, and them, and so on? It's not just your Dad. Do you have co-workers? Others that you are in contact with? Are they comfortable with the choice you made for them?

Dawgfan77
05-05-2020, 11:50 AM
You have a greater chance of getting hurt on your way the game than getting COVID19.
Y'all continue to live in fear.

Ezsoil
05-05-2020, 12:06 PM
So you will volunteer to get it today? And your family?

Is there no One you interact with that might be at higher risk?

Yo homes I protect myself so I don't have to concern myself with what others do......and I do know several people who have very compromised health situations where this virus would be a death sentence...so they are taking personal responsibility for their health and self isolating...it's hard but it's the reality of their health situation. Personal responsibility...what a concept....

FISHDAWG
05-05-2020, 12:25 PM
You have a greater chance of getting hurt on your way the game than getting COVID19.
Y'all continue to live in fear.

yep ... when I took up skydiving the instructor told me I had a much better chance at surviving by jumping out as opposed to remaining in the plane for the landing ... I looked up the stats later on and he was right ... I won't live in fear and I damn sure won't let someone send me on a guilt trip

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Yo homes I protect myself so I don't have to concern myself with what others do......and I do know several people who have very compromised health situations where this virus would be a death sentence...so they are taking personal responsibility for their health and self isolating...it's hard but it's the reality of their health situation. Personal responsibility...what a concept....

You use the words "personal responsibility" but are readily admitting that you will do exactly the opposite. Interesting.

gtowndawg
05-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Are they comfortable with the choice you made for them?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/81075990b71bcbd3660b7fa283d1c357/tenor.gif?itemid=14478578

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Exactly. Very well said. In my case, I'm slightly at risk if I get it. The problem is my wife is highly at risk. She has to work, and much of it can't be done at home. She is a essential worker in an essential field. She isn't at much risk of exposure the way her work is set up. On the other hand I'm at extreme risk of getting by the nature of what I do. I'm also in a essential field. We can cut back what we do, but we can't cut it out completely and it is impossible to do at home. It's people like me and my wife that fools who show no responsibility are by their choices putting at risk. They are choosing for us. We have no choice.

So it's others' fault that you have wisely chosen to stay in (due to your circumstances) other than when each of you has to go to work?

Even though your job or whatever you do puts you at extreme risk of being exposed?

Did you read what you typed?

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 12:48 PM

Careful. People will start throwing out hypothetical graphs and charts and crucify you telling you that numbers don't lie for suggesting they are in fact hypothetical what if's.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 01:10 PM
So it's others' fault that you have wisely chosen to stay in (due to your circumstances) other than when each of you has to go to work?

Even though your job or whatever you do puts you at extreme risk of being exposed?

You obviously didn't. If you go to the game and get it and then have to use my services then by going to the game you put me at risk. You made the choice for me. I had no input at all. If I get it from you then the odds of my at risk wife having a real problem are pretty high. You guys' stance is I can do whatever the heck I want to and it affects no one but me. That just isn't true.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Yeah but he's not putting anyone in danger because he HAS to go*****

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Yeah but he's not putting anyone in danger because he HAS to go*****

I do have to go in certain circumstances. No choice. But hey, as long as you can go have fun at a football game then who cares about that.

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 02:04 PM
You obviously didn't. If you go to the game and get it and then have to use my services then by going to the game you put me at risk. You made the choice for me. I had no input at all. If I get it from you then the odds of my at risk wife having a real problem are pretty high. You guys' stance is I can do whatever the heck I want to and it affects no one but me. That just isn't true.

Lulz. No, it's pretty clear cut what you said. Not a complex statement at all.

I guess you should just quit your job and find a new one that doesn't put you at such high risk.

Oh wait, you can't get a new one because nowhere is hiring.

Guess you won't do that so we should all just bow down to your requests.

Jarius
05-05-2020, 02:09 PM

You can choose to get it now or you can choose to hole everyone up and kill the economy and then still end up giving everyone the virus anyway. The sooner you come to grips with the fact that most people are going to get this the sooner you Can stop perpetuating this bull shit. People wanting to close everything down until we have “a cure” are the selfish ones because they can’t see anything that isn’t 2 feet in front of them. If old people are scared to get the virus, old people can quarantine themselves. If you work with old people, quarantine yourself. Everyone else needs to do what they do on a daily basis so we can all get this and move on with our lives.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Lulz. No, it's pretty clear cut what you said. Not a complex statement at all.

I guess you should just quit your job and find a new one that doesn't put you at such high risk.

Oh wait, you can't get a new one because nowhere is hiring.

Guess you won't do that so we should all just bow down to your requests.

Yeah, lets get people to quit their jobs and stay home so you can go to a football game.

StateDawg44
05-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Yeah, lets get people to quit their jobs and stay home so you can go to a football game.

Then you are a risk also in your own eyes. Cant have it both ways.

You can't throw your blanket statements accusing "fools who show no responsibility" of being the problem and try to limit it to just one event to fit your opinion.

Although, you've already proven you are going to point fingers at others to fit your own needs.

Ezsoil
05-05-2020, 04:33 PM
You use the words "personal responsibility" but are readily admitting that you will do exactly the opposite. Interesting.
How am I doing the exact opposite? I am controlling that which I can control.....that IS the definition of personal responsibility...having "you people " tell me how i should interact with the world is quite interesting....

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 04:41 PM

Here's the way I see it, we can have football and I will be exposed, if I haven't already. And you can stay at home and go to work and you will be exposed, if you haven't already. OR we can not have football and the exact same thing will happen. We will both be exposed at some point. I"ll choose option A. You choose option B. And you can choose option B and bitch about me choosing option A, which made zero difference is us both getting exposed at some point.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Here's the way I see it, we can have football and I will be exposed, if I haven't already. And you can stay at home and go to work and you will be exposed, if you haven't already. OR we can not have football and the exact same thing will happen. We will both be exposed at some point. I"ll choose option A. You choose option B. And you can choose option B and bitch about me choosing option A, which made zero difference is us both getting exposed at some point.

I can't rep this enough.

Jarius
05-05-2020, 05:00 PM

And if the survival rate % of this virus was a paternity test result, we’d all be paying child support. Even the old people.

Ezsoil
05-05-2020, 05:26 PM

If you are older than 60 or have pre-existing conditions stay at home. The mortality rate based on positive Covid cases for those under 60 is .004.... if you throw in the non symptomatic people who haven?t been tested, it will be even lower.

How does me choosing to attend a game that you don't want to attend affect you?

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Then you are a risk also in your own eyes. Cant have it both ways.

You can't throw your blanket statements accusing "fools who show no responsibility" of being the problem and try to limit it to just one event to fit your opinion.

Although, you've already proven you are going to point fingers at others to fit your own needs.

My risk is one I am required to take to do a necessary job. You want to risk everybody so you can go to a ballgame.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 05:44 PM
How am I doing the exact opposite? I am controlling that which I can control.....that IS the definition of personal responsibility...having "you people " tell me how i should interact with the world is quite interesting....

You are taking personal responsibility only up to where it affects you. You refuse to even acknowledge that you personally might be responsible for harming others. You are actually taking no real personal responsibility for your actions whatsoever. If you were really taking responsibility for your actions no one would need to tell you what to do, you would already be doing it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Yep. without hesitation

Jarius
05-05-2020, 05:49 PM
My risk is one I am required to take to do a necessary job. You want to risk everybody so you can go to a ballgame.

You. Are. Going. To. Get. This. Virus. No. Matter. What. Especially. If. You. Are. Essential. And. Already. Working. In. The. Public.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 05:52 PM
How does me choosing to attend a game that you don't want to attend affect you?

You have no symptoms but you go to your game. You infect the people you come in contact with. Monday one of them needs my services but he isn't symptomatic yet. You probably just gave it to me. By the time it's over you are the direct cause of an outbreak that sickens hundreds, all over a ballgame. Doing it because you have to be at work or out buying groceries is one thing, doing it because of a ballgame is something else. Its why I don't think you will see fans at games this fall, even if they ARE played. This thing is going to have to recede significantly before that happens. It is showing no sign of it yet even with the restrictions.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 05:59 PM
You. Are. Going. To. Get. This. Virus. No. Matter. What. Especially. If. You. Are. Essential. And. Already. Working. In. The. Public.

I accepted that back in January when I first read about it. Some of you don't know the difference between concern for others and fear. I've already been very closely exposed at least once. I was lucky that time. It won't last forever now that things are ramping up. That doesn't mean I automatically think everyone else should too like most of y'all. Y'all have already made it very plain that a football game is more important to you than the old folks you know.

Jarius
05-05-2020, 06:44 PM
I accepted that back in January when I first read about it. Some of you don't know the difference between concern for others and fear. I've already been very closely exposed at least once. I was lucky that time. It won't last forever now that things are ramping up. That doesn't mean I automatically think everyone else should too like most of y'all. Y'all have already made it very plain that a football game is more important to you than the old folks you know.

What we have made clear is that everyone is going to get it anyway, so not having football game crowds is absolutely pointless unless the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed by patients because of large events. Not having large events isn’t going to save lives.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 07:16 PM

So I guess you didn't like my response. Thus no comeback.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 07:35 PM
If it was just YOU at the football game then fine. I'd suggest you take a look at what the Liverpool Echo has to say about the A. Madrid @ Liverpool game back in March. That match should never have been held. It's not just the game, it's everything that went with such a mass attended event. At work we are going to extreme lengths to try to prevent spread. We have been issued regulations by the government right down to how the toliet can be used and what we wear home, and it's a very small number of people involved in delivering a vital service. It's not even remotely the same thing. It makes you look more than a bit ..........I won't go there.

Ezsoil
05-05-2020, 07:38 PM
You have no symptoms but you go to your game. You infect the people you come in contact with. Monday one of them needs my services but he isn't symptomatic yet. You probably just gave it to me. By the time it's over you are the direct cause of an outbreak that sickens hundreds, all over a ballgame. Doing it because you have to be at work or out buying groceries is one thing, doing it because of a ballgame is something else. Its why I don't think you will see fans at games this fall, even if they ARE played. This thing is going to have to recede significantly before that happens. It is showing no sign of it yet even with the restrictions.

Dude, I'll have a mask, glasses and gloves on....I'll be protected...if others aren't protected, don't blame me for them getting a virus...if you don't protect yourself, don't blame me if you get the virus....

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 07:39 PM
What we have made clear is that everyone is going to get it anyway, so not having football game crowds is absolutely pointless unless the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed by patients because of large events. Not having large events isn’t going to save lives.

Large events mean large spikes . See the Liverpool Echo today. Y'all have made it very clear where your priorities are. Lives don't matter, football does. I love sports and missi it terribly, but some things are more important. You can live without sports.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 07:45 PM
If it was just YOU at the football game then fine. I'd suggest you take a look at what the Liverpool Echo has to say about the A. Madrid @ Liverpool game back in March. That match should never have been held. It's not just the game, it's everything that went with such a mass attended event. At work we are going to extreme lengths to try to prevent spread. We have been issued regulations by the government right down to how the toliet can be used and what we wear home, and it's a very small number of people involved in delivering a vital service. It's not even remotely the same thing. It makes you look more than a bit ..........I won't go there.

Clearly you didn't read a word I said. And you don't know what you are talking about. The point of slowing the spread was for hospitals. Nobody has said jack about "preventing " the spread. I suggest this if you want to be sure you are sure you don't get it, or prevent it, in you words, lock yourself at home for about, oh maybe the rest of your life. It ain't going away.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Dude, I'll have a mask, glasses and gloves on....I'll be protected...if others aren't protected, don't blame me for them getting a virus...if you don't protect yourself, don't blame me if you get the virus....

Lol, I bet you actually believe that don't you. You don't wear a mask in public to protect yourself, unless it's an N95 and you better not be burning one of those so you can sit and watch a ballgame.). It protects others from you. Gloves are no better than your bare hands (for protection from respiratory viruses) unless you fully understand exactly what they do and, more importantly, don't do for you. Your comment says you in no way have any concept of that.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Large events mean large spikes . See the Liverpool Echo today. Y'all have made it very clear where your priorities are. Lives don't matter, football does. I love sports and missi it terribly, but some things are more important. You can live without sports.

And for the last time, people are going to die. It sucks. But slowing it doesn't stop death but you can't comprehend that. But glad you get a paycheck since you're so essential. Lots on here dont and I'm not talking about me.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Clearly you didn't read a word I said. And you don't know what you are talking about. The point of slowing the spread was for hospitals. Nobody has said jack about "preventing " the spread. I suggest this if you want to be sure you are sure you don't get it, or prevent it, in you words, lock yourself at home for about, oh maybe the rest of your life. It ain't going away.

I read it. The slowing of the spread is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Y'all don't even understand this enough to really discuss it. See the Echo today to see what a game can do to accelerate the spread. Y'all don't want to hear this because you want to go to the game no matter what. You have made this perfectly plain. It's all about you and your fun.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 07:55 PM
I read it. The slowing of the spread is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Y'all don't even understand this enough to really discuss it. See the Echo today to see what a game can do to accelerate the spread. Y'all don't want to hear this because you want to go to the game no matter what. You have made this perfectly plain. It's all about you and your fun.
My stance has ZERO to do w a game. It has everything to do w having a country left to live in. We are really close to economic disaster. We don't have two years plus to keep the growth slow. Hell we don't have two more months. But it's too hard for you to see mr essential. And yeah I do understand it. I understand completely it's just doesn't mirror your thoughts.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2020, 07:58 PM

You're exactly damn right. Some of us, and by the looks of it a large majority of us, want to go to a game. We want to be back around friends that we care about supporting a team that we love to cheer and bitch about on a daily basis. Some of us are looking forward to normal. And to be honest, it doesn't really matter what you, me, or anyone on this board thinks about when/if we should attend a sporting event. There's people that are paid quite handsomely to make those decisions. And if they decide that it's safe to be there then you can bet your ass I'm going to be there. But here's the thing with you saying that WE don't really know enough to discuss it, if you know so much then why aren't you the one making those decisions, why aren't you the one up at press conferences giving us updates. YOU'RE NOT. You're just like the rest of us, you have an opinion and you want to voice it, that's fine. But calling people out on their opinions and how they feel on a subject is completely over the line.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 08:01 PM
My stance has ZERO to do w a game. It has everything to do w having a country left to live in. We are really close to economic disaster. But it's too hard for you to see mr essential. And yeah I do understand it. I understand completely it's just doesn't mirror your thoughts.

Yeah if this goes much longer there ain't gonna be much left. I've got friends on the verge of losing everything they've worked there whole lives for because of a bug that 98+% will survive and majority won't even need medical treatment. This virus won't be a drop in the bucket compared to the economic devastation and lives shattered because of this shutdown.I guess those of us that want things flowing again will be labeled murderers next. Smh.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 08:02 PM
And for the last time, people are going to die. It sucks. But slowing it doesn't stop death but you can't comprehend that. But glad you get a paycheck since you're so essential. Lots on here dont and I'm not talking about me.

You can't comprehend that slowing the spread DOES prevent deaths. The longer we have to figure it out the more we can save. It's already happening to some degree. Y'all have made it plain you don't care. By the way, I'm NOT getting enough of a paycheck to sustain my business, which I own. Emergency stuff doesn't pay the bills. Another couple of months and I go under. I totally understand the other side. I just don't get people being so uncaring about mass death. I especially don't get it over something that is essentially entertainment. Mass events are not going to happen under current conditions. I want the same things you want, and preventing (or using the only word you seem to be able to understand, slowing) the spread as much as we can to allow for medical advancement is the only real way it is going to happen. If it doesn't change through a vaccine or treatment we won't see masss attended events for at least 18 months. By that time it will have killed enough and sickened enough that maybe it will subside on its own. The thing is, we don't even know if herd immunity is possible. The track record of viruses like this one is not encouraging. It's probabaly going to behave like the flu, except it is more contagious and kills more. I personally think the best case is a vaccine that works about like the one for flu.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Yeah if this goes much longer there ain't gonna be much left. I've got friends on the verge of losing everything they've worked there whole lives for because of a bug that 98+% will survive and majority won't even need medical treatment. This virus won't be a drop in the bucket compared to the economic devastation and lives shattered because of this shutdown.I guess those of us that want things flowing again will be labeled murderers next. Smh.

Perfectly said. But if we go out to quick it will spike***

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 08:07 PM
You're exactly damn right. Some of us, and by the looks of it a large majority of us, want to go to a game. We want to be back around friends that we care about supporting a team that we love to cheer and bitch about on a daily basis. Some of us are looking forward to normal. And to be honest, it doesn't really matter what you, me, or anyone on this board thinks about when/if we should attend a sporting event. There's people that are paid quite handsomely to make those decisions. And if they decide that it's safe to be there then you can bet your ass I'm going to be there. But here's the thing with you saying that WE don't really know enough to discuss it, if you know so much then why aren't you the one making those decisions, why aren't you the one up at press conferences giving us updates. YOU'RE NOT. You're just like the rest of us, you have an opinion and you want to voice it, that's fine. But calling people out on their opinions and how they feel on a subject is completely over the line.

i have just seen so much here that is blatantly contrary to the science. Its hard not to ....go over the line. Take the guy above who says he is protected because he is wearing gloves and mask..........unreal.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 08:07 PM
Perfectly said. But if we go out to quick it will spike***

I think I'm gonna name my next dog spike or covid just for the heck of it lol!

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 08:09 PM
You can't comprehend that slowing the spread DOES prevent deaths. The longer we have to figure it out the more we can save. It's already happening to some degree. Y'all have made it plain you don't care. By the way, I'm NOT getting enough of a paycheck to sustain my business, which I own. Emergency stuff doesn't pay the bills. Another couple of months and I go under. I totally understand the other side. I just don't get people being so uncaring about mass death. I especially don't get it over something that is essentially entertainment. Mass events are not going to happen under current conditions. I want the same things you want, and preventing (or using the only word you seem to be able to understand, slowing) the spread as much as we can to allow for medical advancement is the only real way it is going to happen. If it doesn't change through a vaccine or treatment we won't see masss attended events for at least 18 months. By that time it will have killed enough and sickened enough that maybe it will subside on its own. The thing is, we don't even know if herd immunity is possible. The track record of viruses like this one is not encouraging. It's probabaly going to behave like the flu, except it is more contagious and kills more. I personally think the best case is a vaccine that works about like the one for flu.

So we don't know if herd immunity is possible and if a vaccine will work. Your words. But let's sit around and destroy the country. And AGAIN, this has nothing to do w mass entertainment or football or whatever. Guess you don't care about the thousands that wont be able to afford to eat or kill themselves then either. Works both ways. And you can agree w this or not but if our food and farming situation doesn't improve and improve quickly, nobody will be able to afford to plant a crop or find any meat to eat. We have to go. NOW.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 08:15 PM
So we don't know if herd immunity is possible and if a vaccine will work. Your words. But let's sit around and destroy the country. And AGAIN, this has nothing to do w mass entertainment or football or whatever. Guess you don't care about the thousands that wont be able to afford to eat or kill themselves then either. Works both ways. And you can agree w this or not but if our food and farming situation doesn't improve and improve quickly, nobody will be able to afford to plant a crop or find any meat to eat. We have to go. NOW.

Yes yes yes! Here's something I've been following. With the global shutdown, predications are showing by the end of the year 250 million will be in danger of starving to death if the food supply chain is not started back and soon. So what do we do with those 250 million? Just say sorry folks we couldn't go to work because of a bug with 98% survival rate. Everyone's so focused on the damn virus they're not considering all the repercussions of the shutdown.

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 08:19 PM

This thread was about football games. That is what I have been talking about. Y'all have been trying to morph this into the other thread all over again. I am NOT talking about not getting stuff that matters back up and running. We have to do that, but in a careful and controlled manner. But packing thousands of people together like at an athletic event is just plain stupid. We already have enough evidence from around the world on that. Heck we have enough evidence from parades during the Spanish Flu. Sure it's open air, but the restrooms aren't. That only scratches the surface of why it would be insane.

Homedawg
05-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Yes yes yes! Here's something I've been following. With the global shutdown, predications are showing by the end of the year 250 million will be in danger of starving to death if the food supply chain is not started back and soon. So what do we do with those 250 million? Just say sorry folks we couldn't go to work because of a bug with 98% survival rate. Everyone's so focused on the damn virus they're not considering all the repercussions of the shutdown.
Well no, because the govt will pay for it. Or Bc we have grocery stores!! That's where the food comes from right???

Liverpooldawg
05-05-2020, 08:31 PM
I'm out here. The fact that y'all are equating gong to a football game with getting back to work says it all. We are about to find out what happens when we loosen up. We are all lab rats right now. Hopefully y'all are not correct, and I'm not either. I don't care for either view.

confucius say
05-05-2020, 10:04 PM
This thread was about football games. That is what I have been talking about. Y'all have been trying to morph this into the other thread all over again. I am NOT talking about not getting stuff that matters back up and running. We have to do that, but in a careful and controlled manner. But packing thousands of people together like at an athletic event is just plain stupid. We already have enough evidence from around the world on that. Heck we have enough evidence from parades during the Spanish Flu. Sure it's open air, but the restrooms aren't. That only scratches the surface of why it would be insane.

Keeping it on football games, another consideration is that millions of people will lose their businesses, jobs, and everything that comes with that if fans do not attend games and eat, drink, lodge, etc... Football, college and pro, is a huge economic driver in this country.

On the balance, and I get this seems heartless to some, but it is worth several thousand dying to save the lives of several millions. That same logic can be extrapolated our way past football to every sector of our economy/country.

Commercecomet24
05-05-2020, 10:11 PM
Keeping it on football games, another consideration is that millions of people will lose their businesses, jobs, and everything that comes with that if fans do not attend games and eat, drink, lodge, etc... Football, college and pro, is a huge economic driver in this country.

On the balance, and I get this seems heartless to some, but it is worth several thousand dying to save the lives of several millions. That same logic can be extrapolated our way past football to every sector of our economy/country.

Cold hard truths unfortunately.

Jarius
05-05-2020, 10:38 PM

If the large spikes don’t overrun the hospitals then it won’t matter. The same amount of people are getting it no matter what. We will all get it now fast or all get it later at a slower pace. If the health officials think we can have fans without the spike overrunning the hospitals then we should have fans. If they don’t then we should not. Simple as that. You simply do not get it. Your heart is in the right place but you are wanting to kill hundreds of thousands of jobs from large events for misguided hope that in reality has no chance of happening and will hurt more people in the process. Until you are willing to come to grip with the fact that basically everyone is going to contract this virus no matter what we do you are going to continue to bash your head in the wall and do this tired self righteous act where you try and tell other people how terrible they are for not trying to stop something that there is no Stopping.

99jc
05-06-2020, 05:57 AM
I think everyone needs to do what I have been doing for 5 weeks now. You will have a different perspective on this whole virus pandemic. After seeing so many dead I just need a break. I think sports will be played the greed of the masses is too great. Most people now from what I've seen just don't give a damn anymore. If it kills 65,000 more people it's just natural selection in their opinion. Until there is a vaccine this will continue on. All that being said I would not go to a football game because of what I could do to someone else. But that's just me. Hail State Brethren!

Coach34
05-06-2020, 06:39 AM
It's 90-plus degrees at games in September. The virus dies immediately once it gets out. So whatever someone touches would be pretty damn safe because the virus cant live in that heat. The risk would be very low.

BrunswickDawg
05-06-2020, 08:00 AM

Of course, we did this during the Spanish Flu too -

https://twitter.com/MrCFB/status/1257835680157351938?s=20

SheltonChoked
05-06-2020, 09:40 AM
It's 90-plus degrees at games in September. The virus dies immediately once it gets out. So whatever someone touches would be pretty damn safe because the virus cant live in that heat. The risk would be very low.

Data from Singapore says all this is not true. (It's in the 90's and high humidity. They have had 20,000 cases in the last month)

Westdawg
05-06-2020, 07:18 PM
I'm going to be honest - I would NOT attend a game today or even in the next month; however, if we are able to show both locally in state and regionally to be able to get through the rest of spring, summer, and early Fall in a manner that shows a steady decline and better ha sling of getting back to normal, I could see going to a game this Fall....maybe not by Sept. 1 (only because it's hotter than Hades), but by October.

Homedawg
05-06-2020, 07:43 PM
I'm going to be honest - I would NOT attend a game today or even in the next month; however, if we are able to show both locally in state and regionally to be able to get through the rest of spring, summer, and early Fall in a manner that shows a steady decline and better ha sling of getting back to normal, I could see going to a game this Fall....maybe not by Sept. 1 (only because it's hotter than Hades), but by October.
I respect that. But, based on what you just said, you've seen your last football game live. Ever.

Westdawg
05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
I respect that. But, based on what you just said, you've seen your last football game live. Ever.

No, I am saying as of going to a game TODAY, I would not go.
I do think this will eventually work it's way through the majority of the populace in the next 2-4 months and will be on a downward trend or at least stabilized in its numbers.
I have only attended one September game in the last several years. I have either had a pregnant wife or babies/toddlers (and just had another that is 6 months old now).
I'm not taking them into high heat.
I think come October - assuming what I said above - we will be in the stadium ringing bells along the rest of you.

Homedawg
05-06-2020, 09:18 PM
I do think this will eventually work it's way through the majority of the populace in the next 2-4 months and will be on a downward trend or at least stabilized in its numbers.
I have only attended one September game in the last several years. I have either had a pregnant wife or babies/toddlers (and just had another that is 6 months old now).
I think come October - assuming what I said above - we will be in the stadium ringing bells along the rest of you.

And I'm saying it's not ever going to be gone. If it has to be normal or anywhere close you won't be going. Now if the new normal is ok w you and you change your stance gotcha.

gtowndawg
05-07-2020, 09:35 AM

See, I can respect this. You are making a decision that's best for you and not telling me what to do. My stance is simply let individuals make a determination if they want to go. For myself and my family, I'm not concerned. For others I understand their concern.. Just give us the choice, and let us make our own decision, that's all I'm asking.

Commercecomet24
05-07-2020, 09:53 AM
See, I can respect this. You are making a decision that's best for you and not telling me what to do. My stance is simply let individuals make a determination if they want to go. For myself and my family, I'm not concerned. For others I understand their concern.. Just give us the choice, and let us make our own decision, that's all I'm asking.

Right on.

confucius say
05-07-2020, 09:55 AM
And I'm saying it's not ever going to be gone. If it has to be normal or anywhere close you won't be going. Now if the new normal is ok w you and you change your stance gotcha.

Why do you think SARS 2 (covid) will never be gone? SARS 1 is gone right? (I'm no doctor, that's just my understanding).

Liverpooldawg
05-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Why do you think SARS 2 (covid) will never be gone? SARS 1 is gone right? (I'm no doctor, that's just my understanding).

With SARS 1 people got REALLY sick really quickly. There was little to no transmission unless symptoms were present. That is a heck of a lot easier to contain and eventually eliminate. This one behaves more like the flu except the period of asymptomatic transmission is much longer. We have never been able to eliminate the flu. If this one mutates like the flu then even with a vaccine it's here to stay.

confucius say
05-07-2020, 01:57 PM
With SARS 1 people got REALLY sick really quickly. There was little to no transmission unless symptoms were present. That is a heck of a lot easier to contain and eventually eliminate. This one behaves more like the flu except the period of asymptomatic transmission is much longer. We have never been able to eliminate the flu. If this one mutates like the flu then even with a vaccine it's here to stay.

Yea I think it is a question of mutation. Early results show a minimal mutation, which is good, but it is early. Some rna viruses like mumps and measles and SARS 1 and swine were largely eradicated with herd immunity (plus a vaccine in case of mumps and measles).

RocketDawg
05-07-2020, 02:49 PM

I don't think that's been proven yet. It's possibly true, maybe even likely, but there are some hot equatorial climates that have Covid cases.