PDA

View Full Version : The Last Dance inspired me to make my Dream Team

Todd4State
05-03-2020, 10:48 PM
This is limited to players that played in the Dream Team era so 1992 and before. Here's what the original Dream Team SHOULD have looked like. Players getting along and roster rules be damned.

PG- Magic, Isiah, and Stockton
SG- Jordan, Drexler, and Mullin
SF- Bird, Pippen, Dominique Wilkins
PF- Barkley, Malone, and Rodman
C- Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson

Yes, I know Rodman really became famous with the Spurs and then the Bulls when he started dying his hair but he was the NBA defensive POY in 1992. He was fun to watch playing defense and rebounding.

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II.

I'm fine with the other Dream Team members except for Christian Laettner. I think the committee just wanted to put a college guy out there.

John Stockton is like the white walk-on dude on this team. LOL. Think about that! Magic was better than Isiah but both were great players and not much difference between the two although without a doubt Magic was better.

I think Jordan is the best player of all time. Drexler is a REALLY good back-up shooting guard to sub in for him when MJ needs to take a breather. Mullin was a really good shooter.

Bird was an unreal three point shooter and trash talker. Pippen complimented Jordan well and is a HOF in his own right and could handle playing a couple of positions if needed. Wilkins and MJ could have had an unreal slam dunk contest in practice.

Barkley and Malone were similar players but Barkley was better and I think he had a better three point shot than Malone. Rodman is just fun to watch.

Ewing and Hakeem are both really close. There isn't the clear demarcation between these two like the other four positions. I'd call it 1A/1B. Robinson was pretty young at this time but still really outstanding.

SheltonChoked
05-04-2020, 06:26 AM
This is limited to players that played in the Dream Team era so 1992 and before. Here's what the original Dream Team SHOULD have looked like. Players getting along and roster rules be damned.

C- Ewing, Shaq, Robinson

Yes, I know Rodman really became famous with the Spurs and then the Bulls when he started dying his hair but he was the NBA defensive POY in 1992. He was fun to watch playing defense and rebounding.

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II. ( he was not a citizen in For Dream Team I, that's why he was left off)

I'm fine with the other Dream Team members except for Christian Laettner. I think the committee just wanted to put a college guy out there.

John Stockton is like the white walk-on dude on this team. LOL. Think about that! Magic was better than Isiah but both were great players and not much difference between the two although without a doubt Magic was better.

I think Jordan is the best player of all time. Drexler is a REALLY good back-up shooting guard to sub in for him when MJ needs to take a breather. Mullin was a really good shooter.

Bird was an unreal three point shooter and trash talker. Pippen complimented Jordan well and is a HOF in his own right and could handle playing a couple of positions if needed. Wilkins and MJ could have had an unreal slam dunk contest in practice.

Barkley and Malone were similar players but Barkley was better and I think he had a better three point shot than Malone. Rodman is just fun to watch.

Ewing and Hakeem are both really close. There isn't the clear demarcation between these two like the other four positions. I'd call it 1A/1B. Robinson was pretty young at this time but still really outstanding.

There are only 12 roster spots.

Lattner was picked to be the College player, but they should have picked Shaq.

And Thomas was left off for being an asshole, that didn't get along with anyone.

Drop 'Nique and Rodman as bottom 2 players

R2Dawg
05-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II.

Pretty good list but this is so hard to do. I'd make following changes to your list.

Take out Drexler and Mullin. Add Kobe and maybe Lebron.

Take out Thomas and add Kidd, Paul, Iverson, idk so many good ones.

Center hard to leave off Kareem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin. Agree with Akeem for sure.

PF I take off Rodman add McHale.

Sure I'm leaving off some big names, there are so many over the years.

Pippen was a great player, just not sure he is on all NBA all time team. Only problem I have with Pippen is he went to nothing when Jordan wasn't around twice. Once Jordan returned from first retirement things went back to normal in Chicago then Pippen traded later and didn't do anything on another team. Folks don't realize how much better everyone around Jordan looked when he was on the floor. All of a sudden the floor opens up for you.

shoeless joe
05-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Pretty good list but this is so hard to do. I'd make following changes to your list.

Center hard to leave off Kareem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin. Agree with Akeem for sure.

Pippen was a great player, just not sure he is on all NBA all time team. Only problem I have with Pippen is he went to nothing when Jordan wasn't around twice. Once Jordan returned from first retirement things went back to normal in Chicago then Pippen traded later and didn't do anything on another team. Folks don't realize how much better everyone around Jordan looked when he was on the floor. All of a sudden the floor opens up for you.

Ummm...you?re not very well versed on Pippen. He was a skinnier version of lebron. In fact Lebron vs Pippen is a better comparison than lebron vs Jordan. No one compares to MJ. Kobe having the most similar game.

Bubb Rubb
05-04-2020, 02:45 PM

A couple of things:

You clearly need to educate yourself on John Stockton.

Patrick Ewing on his best day wasn't as good as Hakeem Olajuwon on his worst day.

Other than that, there are only 12 roster spots on the dream team, so you have to make some tough choices.

R2Dawg
05-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Ummm...you?re not very well versed on Pippen. He was a skinnier version of lebron. In fact Lebron vs Pippen is a better comparison than lebron vs Jordan. No one compares to MJ. Kobe having the most similar game.

Agree on one part that Pippen might be better comparison to Lebron in some ways but not very well versed? I probably watched every Bulls game Jordan's whole career. What I said was factual too. Didn't say Pippen wasn't any good, never compared him to any other player either. I was being sarcastic when I said Pippen went to nothing; his production went way down as did the Bulls. You must not have watched much back then.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2020, 06:16 PM

If this is 1992, then Kobe is 13, too young unless you are on the gymnastics team.

dawgday166
05-04-2020, 07:33 PM
A couple of things:

You clearly need to educate yourself on John Stockton.

Patrick Ewing on his best day wasn't as good as Hakeem Olajuwon on his worst day.

Other than that, there are only 12 roster spots on the dream team, so you have to make some tough choices.

I had similar take.

R2Dawg
05-04-2020, 08:58 PM
If this is 1992, then Kobe is 13, too young unless you are on the gymnastics team.

I was thinking all time Dream team when I posted.

Homedawg
05-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Kobe and lebron weren't playing in 92. They can't make the team.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-04-2020, 09:59 PM
There are only 12 roster spots.

Lattner was picked to be the College player, but they should have picked Shaq.

And Thomas was left off for being an asshole, that didn't get along with anyone.

Drop 'Nique and Rodman as bottom 2 players

They picked Laettner over Shaq for two reasons. One is that Laetter was better than Shaq at the time. Shaq was still raw and learning, obviously with much more potential. The second, and primary, reason they picked Laettner, is that he was always willing to represent his country. When asked to represent the US at the Goodwill Games and Pan-Am Games, Christian always said "I'll be there." Shaq always found an excuse not to play. Laettner deserved the reward of the Olympics. If a collegian was going to be picked, Laettner was the clear and obvious choice.

shoeless joe
05-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Agree on one part that Pippen might be better comparison to Lebron in some ways but not very well versed? I probably watched every Bulls game Jordan's whole career. What I said was factual too. Didn't say Pippen wasn't any good, never compared him to any other player either. I was being sarcastic when I said Pippen went to nothing; his production went way down as did the Bulls. You must not have watched much back then.

In 94...Jordan?s first yr out...the bulls won 2 more games then they did in 93. And without a phantom foul vs knicks May very well have been back in the finals. The next yr they did falter until Jordan?s late season return.

In 99 Pippen struggled with rockets but then in 00 he was the leader of the team that took shaq and Kobe to 7 in western conference finals...and had that game won. So Pippen had his moments/years with and without Jordan.

Now I do think Pippen was a bitch and maybe that played into not getting over that final hump without Jordan. But he was a great and unique player with a skill set, and maybe even a mind set, very similar to what we see in lebron.

smootness
05-04-2020, 11:45 PM
Stockton was better than Isiah Thomas.

FlabLoser
05-05-2020, 02:24 AM
Jarvis Vranado
Jamont Gordon
Winsome Frazier
Lawrence Roberts
Timmy Bowers

SheltonChoked
05-05-2020, 04:17 AM
Kobe and lebron weren't playing in 92. They can't make the team.

Maybe he wants an 8 year old and a 14 year old playing in the olympics...

SheltonChoked
05-05-2020, 04:32 AM
They picked Laettner over Shaq for two reasons. One is that Laetter was better than Shaq at the time. Shaq was still raw and learning, obviously with much more potential. The second, and primary, reason they picked Laettner, is that he was always willing to represent his country. When asked to represent the US at the Goodwill Games and Pan-Am Games, Christian always said "I'll be there." Shaq always found an excuse not to play. Laettner deserved the reward of the Olympics. If a collegian was going to be picked, Laettner was the clear and obvious choice.

I disagreed at the time, And in retrospect the argument for Lattner is dumb. Shaq was clearly the better talent. (Shaq was a 2x first team AA, Lattner only 1x)

Lattner was chosen as a reward for the player he was in college ("best" player on the 2x NCAA Champion's )

And only one player on 1992 team is not in the HOF.... and a future HOF player was available as a choice. In hindsight, Shaq is an obvious change.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2020, 06:10 AM
Jarvis Vranado
Jamont Gordon
Winsome Frazier
Lawrence Roberts
Timmy Bowers

Out of nowhere, a phantom from the past. Post more Flab.

Political Hack
05-05-2020, 09:00 AM
My starting line-up

Point: Gary Payton
SG: Mike
SF: Larry
Point Forward: Magic
Center: Shaq & Hakeem (offense/defense match up)

somebodyshotmypaw
05-05-2020, 12:00 PM
I disagreed at the time, And in retrospect the argument for Lattner is dumb. Shaq was clearly the better talent. (Shaq was a 2x first team AA, Lattner only 1x)

Lattner was chosen as a reward for the player he was in college ("best" player on the 2x NCAA Champion's )

And only one player on 1992 team is not in the HOF.... and a future HOF player was available as a choice. In hindsight, Shaq is an obvious change.

I disagree. The committee wanted a college player. And Laettner is a HOF player. He was inducted into the college basketball Hall of Fame. Remember, we are talking about a collegian, not a pro. Certainly we can question why the committee didn't just use all professional players.

The real factor came down to Laettner's willingness to play whenever and wherever his country asked him to, while Shaq would not. Imagine for a moment you were going to dig a backyard swimming pool with a shovel in July in Mississippi. Every weekend you call your friends Shaq and Christian to come over and help. Every weekend Christian shows up and digs all day in the 98-degree heat, while Shaq always has an excuse as to why he can't come. When the pool is finally finished and you have two hot blondes with bikinis coming over to swim, who deserves to get the invite to swim with you and the ladies? Is it your friend Christian or your friend Shaq?

BrunswickDawg
05-06-2020, 08:39 AM
I disagree. The committee wanted a college player. And Laettner is a HOF player. He was inducted into the college basketball Hall of Fame. Remember, we are talking about a collegian, not a pro. Certainly we can question why the committee didn't just use all professional players.

The real factor came down to Laettner's willingness to play whenever and wherever his country asked him to, while Shaq would not. Imagine for a moment you were going to dig a backyard swimming pool with a shovel in July in Mississippi. Every weekend you call your friends Shaq and Christian to come over and help. Every weekend Christian shows up and digs all day in the 98-degree heat, while Shaq always has an excuse as to why he can't come. When the pool is finally finished and you have two hot blondes with bikinis coming over to swim, who deserves to get the invite to swim with you and the ladies? Is it your friend Christian or your friend Shaq?

Neither. I'm keeping both for myself LOL!

SheltonChoked
05-06-2020, 09:32 AM

At the time, even though I disagreed, I can understand the argument.

Now in 2020, knowing one would be an NBA HOF player, and the other would make the all star game one time. It's dumb to include Lattner.

Also, your timeline is messed up.

Shaq is 3 years younger than Lattner. Shaq was 15 when Lattner played in the 1987 Goodwill games and 17 during the Pan Am Games.

To use your analogy, Lattner is a 18 year old who is the best pool digger in Noxubee County. Shaq is 15 but would go on to be the one of best pool builder ever.

To go further, you are arguing for a house designed by Jeff Seabold, and I'm saying I got the Unity Chapel.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-07-2020, 10:19 AM
At the time, even though I disagreed, I can understand the argument.

Now in 2020, knowing one would be an NBA HOF player, and the other would make the all star game one time. It's dumb to include Lattner.

Also, your timeline is messed up.

Shaq is 3 years younger than Lattner. Shaq was 15 when Lattner played in the 1987 Goodwill games and 17 during the Pan Am Games.

To use your analogy, Lattner is a 18 year old who is the best pool digger in Noxubee County. Shaq is 15 but would go on to be the one of best pool builder ever.

To go further, you are arguing for a house designed by Jeff Seabold, and I'm saying I got the Unity Chapel.

Laettner was at Duke 1988-1992. Shaq was at LSU 1989-1992. The Goodwill Games were in 1990 and the Pan Am Games were in 1991. Both were collegiate players at the time. So I think your timeline is the one that is messed up.

SheltonChoked
05-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Laettner was at Duke 1988-1992. Shaq was at LSU 1989-1992. The Goodwill Games were in 1990 and the Pan Am Games were in 1991. Both were collegiate players at the time. So I think your timeline is the one that is messed up.

Lattner was born in 1969. Shaq was born in 1972.

How many years apart is that?

How old would Shaq be in 1990? He played in the Olympic trials. How many other US players his age were on the team?

AGAIN, I could understand why they did then.

I'm saying with 21st century knowledge, It's stupid to not include Shaq on the 1992 dream team.

Ari Gold
05-08-2020, 05:59 AM
If the 5 is who I saw and watched play...
At the 1 Magic
The 2 MJ
The 3 Larry
The 4 Tim Duncan
The 5 Kareem ( even at end of his career .. unstoppable on offense with the sky)

And no one would beat that team.. no one.

And with the Lattner / Shaq Olympic debate.. yeah looking back now Shaq for sure was built and fit in better with that team.. but CL is arguably then and still now the greatest College basketball player ever.. you can hate the guy all you want... every big game , every big shot.. and dude was a killer and warrior

Ari Gold
05-08-2020, 06:04 AM
Stockton was better than Isiah Thomas.

Agree...