PDA

View Full Version : My Guess Is that College Football Is Delayed a Few Weeks...

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2020, 06:24 PM
The SEC released this statement today where they were cancelling everything till August 1st. My guess is that August 1st is being thought of as the date to kick things back up.

With that said, a couple coaches, including Mullen, have suggested that players need about 6 weeks to get in football shape & ready to play the season.

So, if everyone returns to form on August 1st, then that would put the start of college football season around September 14th.

smootness
05-01-2020, 06:42 PM
That only suspends practices through May 31. The only thing canceled until August 1 are camps and clinics.

maroonmania
05-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Guess I don't understand what is so magical about August 1st. Would seem if they needed to let football players start on campus conditioning and practicing a week or two before that they should do it to keep the season on schedule if they are going to indeed have the season. Just don't see how a week or two is going to make much difference one way or the other.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 07:03 PM
That only suspends practices through May 31. The only thing canceled until August 1 are camps and clinics.

This.

Liverpooldawg
05-01-2020, 07:28 PM
I don't think it will happen. I've been watching places that have relaxed the rules overseas.....most are about to reimpose lockdown. Germany is the one I really watch. I'm not sure we here in Mississippi aren't close to doing the same thing. Today's numbers were not good. The hospitalization numbers are particularly disturbing.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2020, 07:29 PM
I don't think it will happen. I've been watching places that have relaxed the rules overseas.....most are about to reimpose lockdown. Germany is the one I really watch. I'm not sure we here in Mississippi aren't close to doing the same thing. Today's numbers were not good. The hospitalization numbers are particularly disturbing.

It seems people in MS have said screw it and are ignoring guidelines and going back out into the world.

Liverpooldawg
05-01-2020, 07:35 PM
It seems people in MS have said screw it and are ignoring guidelines and going back out into the world.

Most people in my county never paid any attention to it. That's why we are a hotspot.

Cooterpoot
05-01-2020, 07:46 PM
We're about to hit the downturn in another week or so and everything will open by July. A lot by June. Colleges are already saying they'll be open. No reason not to get ball rolling.

Cooterpoot
05-01-2020, 07:48 PM

No, they just estimated the peak too early.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2020, 07:57 PM
We're about to hit the downturn in another week or so and everything will open by July. A lot by June. Colleges are already saying they'll be open. No reason not to get ball rolling.

What's going to happen in November when the virus returns in full force? I guess we will cross that bridge when it comes.

My take is either start the season on time or make the decision to play football in the spring: Feb-May. Full NFL football season(possibly with no fans) then start college football right after the Super Bowl.

Cooterpoot
05-01-2020, 08:04 PM
What's going to happen in November when the virus returns in full force? I guess we will cross that bridge when it comes.

My take is either start the season on time or make the decision to play football in the spring: Feb-May. Full NFL football season(possibly with no fans) then start college football right after the Super Bowl.

It won't. Get used to masks. They're also saying a vaccine by end of the year. They've got two drugs rolling out to fight the illness too.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 08:08 PM
It won't. Get used to masks. They're also saying a vaccine by end of the year. They've got two drugs rolling out to fight the illness too.

We must know some of the same folks.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2020, 10:30 PM

An effective vaccine is not a foregone conclusion. I'm hopeful on that front, but it's extremely unlikely we have one by the end of the year. BUT, if we knew we would have a vaccine by the end of the year, that would make for a strong case to delay CFB until the spring.

Todd4State
05-01-2020, 11:08 PM
An effective vaccine is not a foregone conclusion. I'm hopeful on that front, but it's extremely unlikely we have one by the end of the year. BUT, if we knew we would have a vaccine by the end of the year, that would make for a strong case to delay CFB until the spring.

Don't forget that people will be building antibodies over the next few months too.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2020, 11:43 PM
Don't forget that people will be building antibodies over the next few months too.

For sure. A lot can and will happen the next 3 months. Hopefully, we will be on the fields August 1st.

Jack Lambert
05-01-2020, 11:45 PM
I spent around 2K back in October for gym stuff for my garage. I already had a bunch but wanted more. I go to the gym but wanted some stuff at home in case I could not get to the gym and my son uses it as well. It was a good decision buying it now. I older and make good money , can buy stuff but I just wonder how many of college football players have lifted weights through all this. You might see some over weight or guys who don't look like they usually do this football season.

Lord McBuckethead
05-02-2020, 01:24 AM

I still do not buy the temperature has anything to do with Covid cases. Could someone link me to a scientific study that shows a correlation between season and this virus.

The best thing that I have heard to limit the spread is to isolate along with washing your hands. If people get back out and about, the numbers will go up. So far we have flattened the curve overall, but as we all start to interact in person again, the curve is in trouble of the exponential growth yet again.

If, and this is a big IF, we have football being played prior to a vaccine and or herd immunization, no fans will be allowed to attend the games in person. Bama will still somehow pipe in crowd noise.

Todd4State
05-02-2020, 01:27 AM
For sure. A lot can and will happen the next 3 months. Hopefully, we will be on the fields August 1st.

Yeah. A lot of people aren't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and then the media is squashing and questioning anything positive. Eventually the reality is we're going to have to move forward at some point and I'm sure they'll criticize Trump no matter what but that's just how it's going to be. Sorry to get political.

I spent around 2K back in October for gym stuff for my garage. I already had a bunch but wanted more. I go to the gym but wanted some stuff at home in case I could not get to the gym and my son uses it as well. It was a good decision buying it now. I older and make good money , can buy stuff but I just wonder how many of college football players have lifted weights through all this. You might see some over weight or guys who don't look like they usually do this football season.

I've seen videos of some of our players on Twitter working out with private trainers like Shawn Preston and Kylin Hill tweeted out yesterday that he was down to 205 and felt better at that weight so at least some of them have been working out.

Todd4State
05-02-2020, 01:31 AM
I still do not buy the temperature has anything to do with Covid cases. Could someone link me to a scientific study that shows a correlation between season and this virus.

The best thing that I have heard to limit the spread is to isolate along with washing your hands. If people get back out and about, the numbers will go up. So far we have flattened the curve overall, but as we all start to interact in person again, the curve is in trouble of the exponential growth yet again.

If, and this is a big IF, we have football being played prior to a vaccine and or herd immunization, no fans will be allowed to attend the games in person. Bama will still somehow pipe in crowd noise.

I suspect that there will be a spike when we open up even gradually but again the point of flattening the curve was to allow our hospitals to not be overwhelmed. The spike I don't think will be as bad because some people have antibodies built up from the first surge and then more people will also build antibodies during the spike. So in theory there will be a spike but the numbers shouldn't be in theory as high as say March or early April.

I think by August it will be we're allowed to go to games unless you are high risk. And then it will be attend at your own risk.

PKADogs55
05-02-2020, 04:42 AM
Gun ..... you need to get laid. Love ya, but you do.

Lord McBuckethead
05-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Thats true, as people get the virus and survive, they will have antibodies to keep them from getting it again, theoretically. It hasn't been proven that we cannot get it again. It also hasn't been proven how big of a multiplier it is over sumptoms versus no symptoms. Just my opinion, but I think there could be upwards of a 5x more unsumptomatic people over people that need the hospital. At this point, i hope was the case. The downside is someone that doesn't know they have it could be cavalier and unknowingly give it to a bunch of people.

Lord McBuckethead
05-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Still need 95% for herd immunity. Thats a shit ton of people.

Todd4State
05-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Thats true, as people get the virus and survive, they will have antibodies to keep them from getting it again, theoretically. It hasn't been proven that we cannot get it again. It also hasn't been proven how big of a multiplier it is over sumptoms versus no symptoms. Just my opinion, but I think there could be upwards of a 5x more unsumptomatic people over people that need the hospital. At this point, i hope was the case. The downside is someone that doesn't know they have it could be cavalier and unknowingly give it to a bunch of people.

I'd say it's unlikely that we could get it again from this same strain.

BiscuitEater
05-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Beware the statistics on deaths 'caused' by Covid -19. Many would have died with or without a virus being present. Not all dead folks are even tested for the virus but are being listed as a Covid fatality because the hospitals get reimbursed more.

https://i0.wp.com/www.citizenfreepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ovid-virus-chart.jpg?resize=768%2C511&ssl=1

Maroonthirteen
05-02-2020, 03:13 PM
What do y'all think of this article?

By these rules.... there are a lot of hoops to jump through and can't see all things in place for the NCAA to even start phase one. At least not before August or September. Hope I'm wrong.

http://https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/ncaa-plan-return-collegiate-sports/

Todd4State
05-02-2020, 04:17 PM
What do y'all think of this article?

By these rules.... there are a lot of hoops to jump through and can't see all things in place for the NCAA to even start phase one. At least not before August or September. Hope I'm wrong.

http://https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/ncaa-plan-return-collegiate-sports/

Meh. The NCAA is covering their ass. How many SEC athletes or college athletes period would qualify as "vulnerable"? If you're an athlete getting chemotherapy you're probably sitting out the year regardless.

AmiteDog
05-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Football is not gonna happen. The country is doomed.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2020, 07:51 AM
If they play it - I will go.... everyone else can stay home if they want, but I just no longer fear this thing - not sure I ever feared it and I'm one of those "idiots" that think the financial cost wasn't worth it..... now go ahead and fire away but do remember that Frankly I don't give a damn

Maroonthirteen
05-04-2020, 09:01 AM
I agree with you. However, I think the crowds will be terrible with the excellent product TV produces.

Commercecomet24
05-04-2020, 12:43 PM
If they play it - I will go.... everyone else can stay home if they want, but I just no longer fear this thing - not sure I ever feared it and I'm one of those "idiots" that think the financial cost wasn't worth it..... now go ahead and fire away but do remember that Frankly I don't give a damn

Right on!

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Guess I was wrong

Maroonthirteen
05-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Guess I was wrong

Wishful thinking. His authority doesn't extend off the UArk campus.

Dawgology
05-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Still need 95% for herd immunity. Thats a shit ton of people.

95% is the upper end for herd immunity. A population can achieve herd immunity with as little as 50% but most rely on about 80%. That's still alot of people but here's the deal.

There has never...never... been a vaccination for any coronavirus. Due to the nature of this class of virus it is difficult to create an effective vaccine. Many have tried...all have failed. For the past 30 years. Who knows? Maybe they will get it this time but I really think the chances are slim. With that said, the same reason a vaccine has been elusive is the same reason you can't really get immunity from the common cold or really even the flu for any extended period of time.

The harshest of realities is that this is with humanity for the forseeable future. As I stated months ago this will be endimic going forward as it settles into the population. I believe this will be the fourth (maybe 5th?) active coronavirus in the human population currently.

coachnorm
05-05-2020, 11:45 AM
One thing I'd recommend to fellow Elitedoggers is to pay attention to the US Military in regards of Covid-19. We all know what has transpired with the USS Roosevelt and the destroyer up front. I believe that 50 recruits were published infected in a recruit unit at MCRD. I can state first hand the the organization I retired from in the F/A-18 program has directed the over 65s to stay away. My chiropractor is married to a chief petty officer and she said that his organization is exhausted with this hide and seek with Covid-19. Think of the US Military as a team and the in house problems it is struggling with to deploy and function. With that in mind expect sports to have to overcome similar problems as the Military. There are difficulties on the horizon that can't be wished away.