PDA

View Full Version : Jack Cristil

FISHDAWG
05-01-2020, 07:44 AM
Radio Station here in Atlanta has started replaying old UGA games on Saturdays when their long time Voice of the Bulldogs Larry Munson was calling the games .... He is a legend here in Georgia. That got me to thinking if I could pull up previous radio broadcast of MSU and Jack Cristil and I came across this ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSXN1MD8Ng
Cristil and Munson were both legendary and I miss them both

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 09:44 AM
2 very distinct and legendary voices. I miss hearing Jack a lot. Jack and Larry, Vin Scully, there probably won't be any like them again.

Thanks for sharing that video of Jack.

gtowndawg
05-01-2020, 10:09 AM
I've posted before about a Jack podcast. Just listen anytime you like, anywhere you like.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 10:13 AM
I've posted before about a Jack podcast. Just listen anytime you like, anywhere you like.

There'll never be another one like Jack.

FISHDAWG
05-01-2020, 11:18 AM

I just thought it was a cool idea the radio station had going here and then I wondered if I could pull up one of the old classic games from a radio (Jack) perspective so I could hear an entire game called by Jack ... but all I kept finding were video broadcast.... I'm far from being a social media savant but I can't find any radio broadcast of old MSU games and just wanted to sit back with a beer and relive the the moment with Jack calling it.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 11:22 AM
I just thought it was a cool idea the radio station had going here and then I wondered if I could pull up one of the old classic games from a radio (Jack) perspective so I could hear an entire game called by Jack ... but all I kept finding were video broadcast.... I'm far from being a social media savant but I can't find any radio broadcast of old MSU games and just wanted to sit back with a beer and relive the the moment with Jack calling it.

Nothing like listening to a game called by Jack. Countless Saturdays in my youth by the radio listening to Jack call the games. Great memories of a simpler time. Dang I sound like my dad now lol.

FISHDAWG
05-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Nothing like listening to a game called by Jack. Countless Saturdays in my youth by the radio listening to Jack call the games. Great memories of a simpler time. Dang I sound like my dad now lol.

started listening to Jack in 1974 .... and then in 84 moved to Georgia and didn't have streaming or local radio then .... I'll never forget coming back home to visit and listening to Jack on the radio with the TV volume turned down.... Jack would call the play and it was over before the ball was even snapped on TV, and I tolerated that because he was Jack and it was so worth it

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 11:50 AM
started listening to Jack in 1974 .... and then in 84 moved to Georgia and didn't have streaming or local radio then .... I'll never forget coming back home to visit and listening to Jack on the radio with the TV volume turned down.... Jack would call the play and it was over before the ball was even snapped on TV, and I tolerated that because he was Jack and it was so worth it

Thats about the same time I started listening. I used to do the same thing on the few games that were televised back then. It just wasn't a game without listening to Jack. Even when I went to the games carried an old transistor radio and listened to Jack. Man our kids don't know what they're missing do they?

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Growing up in GA as an UGA fan, I think of Munson as the Gold Standard of college broadcasters. I think I still have my "Munson's Greatest Hits" album from the early 1980s around somewhere.
When I went to State, I didn't really appreciate Jack because I only heard his post game shows, which really weren't his strong suite (or Munson's for that matter). I really didn't get to listen to him much until near the end after streaming became available.

gtowndawg
05-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Thats about the same time I started listening. I used to do the same thing on the few games that were televised back then. It just wasn't a game without listening to Jack. Even when I went to the games carried an old transistor radio and listened to Jack. Man our kids don't know what they're missing do they?

I'd say I'm the last generation that knows what it was really like (I'm 45). I'm squarely in the middle where I have very specific memories of tuning in and listening to games (especially basketball because I wasn't there for most of those). Even getting in my car once I could drive and driving up the road for better reception if it was a tight game (in Memphis radio was sketchy at night inside our home). But I've also had years now of not listening at all so I see what younger people don't really have the nostalgia for it.

Either way, I'd just like to pull up certain games and pass the time listening (cutting the yard, smoking meats, driving on vacation, whatever).

gtowndawg
05-01-2020, 12:28 PM
I mean now that I say it, I can remember sitting in my car and literally seeing in my minds eye what was going on. Jack had a true talent for making you feel there. Not many can do that.

edited: even just the nuance of hearing the crowd roar and you lean forward just a bit because you know Jack is about to describe something good (all within a second or two). Little things like that are now gone forever.

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2020, 12:31 PM
I'd say I'm the last generation that knows what it was really like (I'm 45). I'm squarely in the middle where I have very specific memories of tuning in and listening to games (especially basketball because I wasn't there for most of those). Even getting in my car once I could drive and driving up the road for better reception if it was a tight game (in Memphis radio was sketchy at night inside our home). But I've also had years now of not listening at all so I see what younger people don't really have the nostalgia for it.

Either way, I'd just like to pull up certain games and pass the time listening (cutting the yard, smoking meats, driving on vacation, whatever).

There was something much more productive about listening on the radio instead of watching on TV. I still prefer to listen to baseball on the radio - and love being able to stream MSU baseball radio while working in the yard in the spring

msbulldog
05-01-2020, 12:36 PM

There are worse things CC.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 12:39 PM
I mean now that I say it, I can remember sitting in my car and literally seeing in my minds eye what was going on. Jack had a true talent for making you feel there. Not many can do that.

edited: even just the nuance of hearing the crowd roar and you lean forward just a bit because you know Jack is about to describe something good (all within a second or two). Little things like that are now gone forever.

Exactly! That's what the great ones were able to do. They painted the picture for you and you could picture it in your mind. We lived in Arizona for a time in the late 60's, early 70's and I used to listen to Vin Scully do Dodger games every night. Jack and Vin are the gold standard for me. I miss those simple, good time and you're right those little things are now gone forever.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 12:40 PM
There was something much more productive about listening on the radio instead of watching on TV. I still prefer to listen to baseball on the radio - and love being able to stream MSU baseball radio while working in the yard in the spring

I'm with you man! Listening to baseball on the radio takes me back to my childhood and when I learned to love the game. Listening to the greats do baseball on radio was a little piece of heaven!

DownwardDawg
05-01-2020, 12:46 PM
I have a video of a Lil Dawgs camp, Mullen’s first year, where Jack came to the stadium and announced each kid as they ran out on the field!! My son probably wasn’t that impressed at 9 years old but it was a fine moment for me!!!!!

R2Dawg
05-01-2020, 12:47 PM

Agree. Still remember his call of 1980. Times were much simple that is for sure.

Radio in Bama also been playing old Eli Gold called games. MS stations need to do some Jack replays.

Joebob
05-01-2020, 01:13 PM
I never was a fan of Christil. His broadcasting style just wasn’t my thing.

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2020, 01:47 PM
I'm with you man! Listening to baseball on the radio takes me back to my childhood and when I learned to love the game. Listening to the greats do baseball on radio was a little piece of heaven!

"Hello everyone, this is Skip Caray along with Ernie Johnson coming to you from Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, as the Braves led by Dale Murphy take on Fernando Valenzuela and the Los Angeles Dodgers...."

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 01:49 PM
"Hello everyone, this is Skip Caray along with Ernie Johnson coming to you from Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, as the Braves led by Dale Murphy take on Fernando Valenzuela and the Los Angeles Dodgers...."

Wow that takes me back!

FISHDAWG
05-01-2020, 01:56 PM

that's pure Gold ... With Phil Neikro (or possibly later on I-285) on the mound tonight for the Braves and Bob Horner back on 3rd base .... I saw Horner hit 4 HR's in one game and they still lost ... they lost a lot back then but all of America loved them

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 02:00 PM
FISHDAWG, this is a great thread you started!

Rep Given!

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Wow that takes me back!

I almost said "the Professor Pete Van Wieren", but thought I would give EJ Sr his due.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 02:07 PM
I almost said "the Professor Pete Van Wieren", but thought I would give EJ Sr his due.

Ernie was awesome! Got to meet him once and he was just super nice, just a regular guy.

gtowndawg
05-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Wow that takes me back!

Ha, I can even picture them saying that lol

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Ha, I can even picture them saying that lol

Same here!

msbulldog
05-01-2020, 05:07 PM
I never was a fan of Christil. His broadcasting style just wasn?t my thing.

There is no accounting for taste!****

redstickdawg
05-01-2020, 05:50 PM
I never was a fan of Christil. His broadcasting style just wasn?t my thing.

BLASPHEMY!!!! Fond memories of listening to Jack on the radio on a Saturday afternoon doing chores around the house. I sure do miss him calling a game.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Best thread on the board in weeks!

Cowbell
05-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Cristil and Munson - you just can't get any better. I still pull up old calls from both of them, especially during down times like this. The "Lindsay Scott/I broke my chair" call has to be the greatest call in all of college football.

Cowbell
05-01-2020, 09:01 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhWVvsrq5k

Your welcome!

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Cristil and Munson - you just can't get any better. I still pull up old calls from both of them, especially during down times like this. The "Lindsay Scott/I broke my chair" call has to be the greatest call in all of college football.

This is my favorite https://youtu.be/JEiDhrqEx_s

Kevin Butler's 60 yarder to beat #2 Clemson in '84. I was listening to this live, in Auburn of all places, about to see Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood, and Tommie Agee run all over USM

was21
05-02-2020, 03:33 PM
Munson wasn't any better than Jack but Georgia was a name brand. As a matter of fact, Jack was better. Munson was a homer and it showed. Jack was as objective as it can get

State82
05-02-2020, 03:57 PM
I never was a fan of Christil. His broadcasting style just wasn’t my thing.

If you ever had any, which is doubtful, you just lost all credibility.

Cowbell
05-02-2020, 06:05 PM
This is my favorite https://youtu.be/JEiDhrqEx_s

Kevin Butler's 60 yarder to beat #2 Clemson in '84. I was listening to this live, in Auburn of all places, about to see Bo Jackson, Brent Fullwood, and Tommie Agee run all over USM

That one is a classic!

Cowbell
05-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Munson wasn't any better than Jack but Georgia was a name brand. As a matter of fact, Jack was better. Munson was a homer and it showed. Jack was as objective as it can get

You are really reaching here. Of course Munson was a homer - but has a different style than Cristil and it honestly isn't fair to compare either.