PDA

View Full Version : Your college football national tour.

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2020, 05:11 PM
The KState game this year. After some conversation with the guy next to me, i learned. He was from Atlanta. He was at our game on his yearly pilgrimage of college football stadiums and campuses. He had been at Clemson the week before.

Which led me to think... if I take a random trip to watch college football game(s), where would it be?

In the past I went to Columbus OH on business often and snuck into the Horseshoe. I was impressed. I've always wanted to see a game there. If I could OHSt v Michigan would be a nice game to see and experience.

I've always wanted to go to the iron bowl, but I've been to Tuscaloosa plenty.

I saw Memphis play Miami years ago. Be again... Memphis.

Outside of MSU football, Where have you been and who did you see? What was interesting or unique?

StarkVegasSteve
04-30-2020, 05:30 PM
Saturday night in Death Valley is the obvious answer. I'd also that you need to experience a night game at Kyle Field at least once in your life. It's amazing when that place gets swaying.

3rdGen
04-30-2020, 05:32 PM
I don’t know what you are talking about DWS is the only place to go man!!

BrunswickDawg
04-30-2020, 05:41 PM
I'd finish up the SEC - just need Arkansas, LSU, A&M and Mizzou.

Then I'd go classics - Army/Navy, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, and Michigan.

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Fayetteville is a nice trip. Plenty of scenery and unique things to do with the mountains. Fayetteville has plenty of local places to eat. Football stadium is nice. But I can't speak much on in game atmosphere. Both times I went, were blowouts. One good, one bad.

Smitdawg
04-30-2020, 07:23 PM
The KState game this year. After some conversation with the guy next to me, i learned. He was from Atlanta. He was at our game on his yearly pilgrimage of college football stadiums and campuses. He had been at Clemson the week before.

Which led me to think... if I take a random trip to watch college football game(s), where would it be?

In the past I went to Columbus OH on business often and snuck into the Horseshoe. I was impressed. I've always wanted to see a game there. If I could OHSt v Michigan would be a nice game to see and experience.

I've always wanted to go to the iron bowl, but I've been to Tuscaloosa plenty.

I saw Memphis play Miami years ago. Be again... Memphis.

Outside of MSU football, Where have you been and who did you see? What was interesting or unique?

I am like that guy you met from Atlanta. I have made it a mission to see a game in all 130 FBS stadiums. I have been to 86 so far. Some of my favorites include seeing the white out game at Penn State a couple years back against Michigan with Saquon Barkley, seeing Southern Cal at Florida State and Florida State at Clemson. I also got to see a great game at Nebraska a few years back when they came from behind to upset #7 Michigan State in 2015. The game I went to wasn't that good, but the atmosphere at Wisconsin was great. For smaller stadiums, I loved seeing Navy a couple years ago. Also Wyoming I enjoyed too. I also got to attend the first ever game played at Colorado State's new stadium when they upset Oregon State in 2017. I often try to schedule a game at the Group of 5 schools when they get to host a Power 5 school, as they have often been good games and sometimes I get to witness the upset.

I always wear my Mississippi State clothes when I go to one of these games, which is usually a good conversation starter with their fans. This year is kind of depressing since I am not sure what the season will be like and if they will allow fans to attend. I already had plans to go see games at TCU, Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State and possibly Ohio State while adding a few G5 games.

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2020, 07:59 PM
I am like that guy you met from Atlanta. I have made it a mission to see a game in all 130 FBS stadiums. I have been to 86 so far. Some of my favorites include seeing the white out game at Penn State a couple years back against Michigan with Saquon Barkley, seeing Southern Cal at Florida State and Florida State at Clemson. I also got to see a great game at Nebraska a few years back when they came from behind to upset #7 Michigan State in 2015. The game I went to wasn't that good, but the atmosphere at Wisconsin was great. For smaller stadiums, I loved seeing Navy a couple years ago. Also Wyoming I enjoyed too. I also got to attend the first ever game played at Colorado State's new stadium when they upset Oregon State in 2017. I often try to schedule a game at the Group of 5 schools when they get to host a Power 5 school, as they have often been good games and sometimes I get to witness the upset.

I always wear my Mississippi State clothes when I go to one of these games, which is usually a good conversation starter with their fans. This year is kind of depressing since I am not sure what the season will be like and if they will allow fans to attend. I already had plans to go see games at TCU, Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State and possibly Ohio State while adding a few G5 games.

That's awesome man.

If FSU and Miaimi ever get good again, I'd like to see that game. Or FSU/UF. Preferably at Tallahassee. I drove by Doak-Campbell once while in town... it isn't an impressive place as well.

Smitdawg
04-30-2020, 08:21 PM
That's awesome man.

If FSU and Miaimi ever get good again, I'd like to see that game. Or FSU/UF. Preferably at Tallahassee. I drove by Doak-Campbell once while in town... it isn't an impressive place as well.

Yeah, I would have loved to have seen FSU vs. Miami when they were both good. I didn't include any of the SEC stadiums in the previous list because I have mostly only been to games involving MSU, but I have been to all of those stadiums. I will always be biased in my love of Davis Wade, but I have also enjoyed the atmospheres at LSU, Alabama and Auburn. Don't think I will ever have anything good to think of Florida's, since the only game I ever saw there was the one that Spurrier decided to run up the score for the waterboy. Of the schools that I have been to so far, only Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Oregon and Virginia Tech (saw them early in Michael Vick's career there) are anywhere close to the atmosphere as at the better SEC stadiums. Granted, I have not been to Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma or Washington, so no idea how good they would be. I actually wasn't impressed by Michigan. It was just a giant sardine can in my opinion. Notre Dame was cool last year for the history, but the atmosphere I wasn't impressed with at all. Granted, it was the Navy game that I went to, but that is still one of their big traditional games. I also got to see Gardner Minshew and Washington State at Southern Cal, but that atmosphere was not that good either, even though it was a good game.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2020, 06:38 AM
That's interesting. When i went to Eugene to see us play Oregon, I talked to an Oregon fan that had been to the Big House. He had the same observations as you.

My in-laws went to see UT and UCLA many many years ago. The Rose bowl is a similar configuration to Michigan's stadium. From what I hear.

My father went to a OSU v OU game in Stillwater years ago. He said the atmosphere was similar to the Egg Bowl but the game was more like Bama v State. I'd really enjoy going to Norman to see UT v OU this year.

I've been to Gainesville twice. I saw us play and OM
Play them in the mid 90s. The OM game made it real fun as I had rooting interest in the home team. I was surprised by the age of the stadium but they had a great atmosphere. I spent the whole weekend. I was young. It was a fun college town at that time.

Choctaw Dawg
05-01-2020, 07:41 AM
I enjoyed Manhattan KS mainly because of the large similarities Manhattan has with Starkville. Their fans were some of the nicest you will ever come across as well. When we played them their I remember one of their fans saying our defense was running an NFL training camp on their football team.

I'd love to visit Athens some day, heard that place is the place to go if you want to see a nice college town. Also like to see a game from Virginia Tech or a game from Notre Dame.

Liverpooldawg
05-01-2020, 06:43 PM
The only game I've ever been to that did not involve a Mississippi team was Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech about 6 years ago. I had a blast.

My bucket list: USC (the real one), Michigan, LSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Boston College, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Nebraska, Army, and Cal. I would also love to do some of the smaller division teams up in the Noetheast and Midwest.

BiscuitEater
05-01-2020, 09:32 PM
"Enter The Sandman" was first used by Virgina Tech on Aug. 27, 2000 when the Hokies were slated to face Georgia Tech in the season opener.

Night game .. great atmosphere.. Earth shaking experIence!

Smitdawg
05-01-2020, 11:36 PM
That's interesting. When i went to Eugene to see us play Oregon, I talked to an Oregon fan that had been to the Big House. He had the same observations as you.

My in-laws went to see UT and UCLA many many years ago. The Rose bowl is a similar configuration to Michigan's stadium. From what I hear.

My father went to a OSU v OU game in Stillwater years ago. He said the atmosphere was similar to the Egg Bowl but the game was more like Bama v State. I'd really enjoy going to Norman to see UT v OU this year.

I've been to Gainesville twice. I saw us play and OM
Play them in the mid 90s. The OM game made it real fun as I had rooting interest in the home team. I was surprised by the age of the stadium but they had a great atmosphere. I spent the whole weekend. I was young. It was a fun college town at that time.

Unfortunately, you won't get to see Texas play at Oklahoma, as they always play in the old Cotton Bowl stadium in Dallas. I would love to catch a Oklahoma State-Oklahoma game in Norman.

Smitdawg
05-01-2020, 11:39 PM
The only game I've ever been to that did not involve a Mississippi team was Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech about 6 years ago. I had a blast.

My bucket list: USC (the real one), Michigan, LSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Boston College, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Nebraska, Army, and Cal. I would also love to do some of the smaller division teams up in the Noetheast and Midwest.

Some of the smaller schools have nice small stadiums with a fun experience. However, having been to most of the MAC schools, they are not that good. Some of the worst stadiums I have been to have been in the MAC.

Maroonthirteen
05-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately, you won't get to see Texas play at Oklahoma, as they always play in the old Cotton Bowl stadium in Dallas. I would love to catch a Oklahoma State-Oklahoma game in Norman.

The Vols play Oklahoma this year.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Some of the smaller schools have nice small stadiums with a fun experience. However, having been to most of the MAC schools, they are not that good. Some of the worst stadiums I have been to have been in the MAC.

I was a talking FCS, D2, and D3.

Smitdawg
05-02-2020, 12:45 PM
The Vols play Oklahoma this year.

Ahh. I thought you meant the Texas-Oklahoma game. Yeah, Tennessee at Oklahoma would probably be fun.

Smitdawg
05-02-2020, 12:46 PM
I was a talking FCS, D2, and D3.

I might try hitting up a couple of those. That sounds interesting. I definitely want to add North Dakota State to my stadium visits.