PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Recruiting

ejdallas322
04-30-2020, 03:29 PM
Don?t get me wrong, Tennessee has nice facilities. But there recent history doesn?t mirror the type of recruiting success they?re having right now. And yes everyone cheats, but doesn?t Tennessee?s recent commits in a four day span seem the slightest bit sus to you guys?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2020, 03:37 PM
They've recruited well forever. They've been top 12 the last 7 classes & they've sucked. Their top 5 in April they'll finish between 5-10. Something they've done 3 times in the last 7 years. You guys just haven't been paying attention.

Gutter Cobreh
04-30-2020, 03:40 PM
They've recruited well forever. They've been top 12 the last 7 classes & they've sucked. Their top 5 in April they'll finish between 5-10. Something they've done 3 times in the last 7 years. You guys just haven't been paying attention.

Yep. Just need for them to get something out of all the talent. It would be good for the entire conference if the East becomes more competitive. No sense with it being just UGA and UF.

ejdallas322
04-30-2020, 03:42 PM
Yeah but 3 four stars and 2 five stars in 4 days...

smootness
04-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Yeah but 3 four stars and 2 five stars in 4 days...

Recruiting sometimes snowballs. These guys who are on the verge or heavily considering see other kids they like and respect committing and they start pulling the trigger.

Every time a school, no matter how big, has a short burst of recruiting success, people insinuate cheating. In a school like OM's case, it probably is. Tennessee? Nah.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2020, 04:01 PM
Recruiting sometimes snowballs. These guys who are on the verge or heavily considering see other kids they like and respect committing and they start pulling the trigger.

Every time a school, no matter how big, has a short burst of recruiting success, people insinuate cheating. In a school like OM's case, it probably is. Tennessee? Nah.

Nah, They're cheating their ass off, but get a pass because they're Tennessee & have a big stadium & used to win. Don't kid yourself.

This idea that some have where they believe some blue bloods "don't need to cheat" is stupid & naive. It's exactly the reason those blue bloods get a pass & teams like MSU & Ole Miss get put on probation every 5 years.

I'm not judging them since they're just doing what everyone else is, but let's at least call a spade a spade & stop BSing around the obvious

TrapGame
04-30-2020, 04:04 PM
Butch brought in a couple top 10 classes, IIRC. They didn't do anything. I mean, Alvin Kamara practically rode the bench most of his years at Tennessee. Pruitt is just a bit above Butch IMO. We'll see if he can coach the talent.

TrapGame
04-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Nah, They're cheating their ass off, but get a pass because they're Tennessee & have a big stadium & used to win. Don't kid yourself.

This idea that some have where they believe some blue bloods "don't need to cheat" is stupid & naive. It's exactly the reason those blue bloods get a pass & teams like MSU & Ole Miss get put on probation every 5 years.

I'm not judging them since they're just doing what everyone else is, but let's at least call a spade a spade & stop BSing around the obvious

YEP!

Wasn't there a little scandal two or three years ago about most of the starting D players at Bama driving brand new Mustangs and Corvettes?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2020, 04:13 PM

Your problem & others are thinking they changed some in recruiting this week. They've been recruiting like this. This isn't new you're just paying attention this week because these recruits came in bunches.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Your problem & others are thinking they changed some in recruiting this week. They've been recruiting like this. This isn't new you're just paying attention this week because these recruits came in bunches.

I get that but just because there isn't a true change has nothing to do with whether or not they're cheating.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2020, 04:22 PM
I get that but just because there isn't a true change has nothing to do with whether or not they're cheating.

I could say more on this topic but I will bow out.

smootness
04-30-2020, 04:26 PM

I'm not trying to claim they're spotless. But if they're doing what everyone else is, they (pretty much by definition) are not cheating. I'm sure they're doing things that are against the rules, but if it isn't giving them a competitive advantage over others, how would it explain how they're pulling recruits?

As IYOK said, they've always recruited well and pulled top kids. You combine a staff that recruits well and some sudden signs of improvement last year, and it's really not hard to figure out.

Maroonthirteen
04-30-2020, 04:57 PM
Phil Fulmer is back in charge.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2020, 06:23 PM
I think one thing that really helps old blue blood programs is that they have influential fans all across the country.

Whereas at MSU we have influence in Mississippi, some in Memphis, a little in Alabama & Louisiana, a historical blue blood has influence all across the country which makes their tentacles longer.

That being said, I do believe these teams have to win or they run the risk of losing that national presence over time as those fans across the country get older

Todd4State
04-30-2020, 10:55 PM
I think one thing that really helps old blue blood programs is that they have influential fans all across the country.

Whereas at MSU we have influence in Mississippi, some in Memphis, a little in Alabama & Louisiana, a historical blue blood has influence all across the country which makes their tentacles longer.

That being said, I do believe these teams have to win or they run the risk of losing that national presence over time as those fans across the country get older

I'm not sure how far reaching Tennessee is. Honestly the schools with the most national reach are people like Vanderbilt. Otherwise it's mostly local for most schools. For example I don't know any influential Texas boosters in Mississippi. There may be one somewhere but it's not enough to make an impact.

Tennessee actually has a huge disadvantage because that state just doesn't produce a ton of football players per capita like Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. I think that's part of the reason for their downfall recently. They have to recruit nationally or they run the risk of being Arkansas.

The thing is Tennessee has always been willing to cheat and play dirty moreso than Arkansas. They're every bit as bad as Auburn and they were in cahoots with Ole Miss when they tried to take Jackie down in the early 2000's and even took Alabama down over a recruit in Memphis.

TheLostDawg
05-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Well I love getting Leach but I'd like to have seen what Pruitt would have done with our team two years ago. Man what a wasted season.

Pipedream
05-01-2020, 08:11 AM
I could say more on this topic but I will bow out.

I don't know where you were headed but I'll say my peace-talking about/accusing teams/coaches of cheating in college football is a losers mentality. Everyone in the SEC cheats. Most teams that recruit in the top 30-35 pay players. MSU pays players. Every year. Do we pay as much or as many? No, we don't. It's hypocritical and moronic to go on a message board and think your college football team doesn't cheat it's ass off if you are in the SEC. Now that that much is clear, if you think someone is going out of bounds to get players you wanted, quit whining about it and go get some money in their hands. That's the only way to win. Just pointing at what everyone else is doing and crying about it isn't going to change anything. No one cares that the MSU economy isn't as strong as most, if not all other SEC economies. If you want to win, you overcome that, if you can't, don't complain about it. It's really that simple.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2020, 09:02 AM
You got that right.

And further more..... everyone loves a front runner. When kids sign with the blue bloods.... most people assume it is because kids want to play in the biggest, winning programs. Also kids love the front runners too.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2020, 09:15 AM
You got that right.

And further more..... everyone loves a front runner. When kids sign with the blue bloods.... most people assume it is because kids want to play in the biggest, winning programs. Also kids love the front runners too.

Tennessee isn't a front runner.

A&M isn't a front runner

There's something else going on here that is above and beyond wanting to win a championship or play for a front runner

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2020, 09:57 AM
I was referring to the general idea that a school is cheating anytime they get a 5 star player. Also, agreeing it isn't very becoming of a fan of small school to cry foul every time another school lands a big recruit.

As for TN, I don't have inside knowledge of their program. But I do know they recruited nationally when Fulmer was the coach. Now that Fulmer is the coach again (in the background ) .... they are recruiting well again. Call it cheating. Call it Fulmer just hustles. I dnk. But nobody is going to be sympathetic to State fans or any other small school fans for saying UT is cheating. Also.... let's see how many of these guys they actually sign.

TUSK
05-01-2020, 10:44 AM
This thread is gonna be interesting....

Hell, it already is.....

BB30
05-01-2020, 12:10 PM

We cheat our asses off as well....so does every other team in the SEC. Our booster bank account is just smaller than other SEC schools.

Turfdawg67
05-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Well I love getting Leach but I'd like to have seen what Pruitt would have done with our team two years ago. Man what a wasted season.

Maybe for that season... long term, no!

Ezsoil
05-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Tennessee isn't a front runner.

A&M isn't a front runner

There's something else going on here that is above and beyond wanting to win a championship or play for a front runner

A&M and especially Texas having over rated classes is more of a product of the players in Texas high school football being "soft" with no emphasis on defense.

msstate7
05-03-2020, 08:59 PM
A&M and especially Texas having over rated classes is more of a product of the players in Texas high school football being "soft" with no emphasis on defense.

4 out of the 14 defensive 1st rounders this nfl draft are from Texas.