PDA

View Full Version : The new deal: Dak Prescott

TheLostDawg
04-28-2020, 08:50 PM
I saw somewhere $140 for four years. Anyone else seeing this? I can't find it now or anywhere else.

Bothrops
04-28-2020, 09:40 PM
Who knows, but the man has been through so much.

Leroy Jenkins
04-28-2020, 09:42 PM
A fake account tweeted that yesterday.

WinningIsRelentless
04-28-2020, 10:24 PM
I saw somewhere $140 for four years. Anyone else seeing this? I can't find it now or anywhere else.

That?s what Dak wants but the cowboys are offering $175 for five years.

TheLostDawg
04-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Thanks. Good to know.

Lord McBuckethead
04-28-2020, 11:57 PM
That?s what Dak wants but the cowboys are offering $175 for five years.

175 for 5 sounds about right. Make 185 for 5.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Dak wants a shorter contract to get to his next contract faster so he can cash in again. In QB and RB world, 1 year can make a massive difference.

The value of 140 for 4 and 175 for 5 is the exact same. If Dak were 2 years older I bet he would be happy with 175 for 5. But Dak will be 31 in 4 years. He's much more likely to get another big time contract the younger he is when he comes back on the market.

msbulldog
04-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Dak wants a shorter contract to get to his next contract faster so he can cash in again. In QB and RB world, 1 year can make a massive difference.

The value of 140 for 4 and 175 for 5 is the exact same. If Dak were 2 years older I bet he would be happy with 175 for 5. But Dak will be 31 in 4 years. He's much more likely to get another big time contract the younger he is when he comes back on the market.

Plus the new CBA will have passed by that time and with it higher cap which means a boatload of more money.

msudawglb
04-29-2020, 12:33 PM
This is getting old really. I mean, Dak is good and he?s in the Top 5-7 qb?s in the league. Just sign a damn contract. I mean, it?s $37m a year. You just won 8 games. Quit holding out already.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Plus the new CBA will have passed by that time and with it higher cap which means a boatload of more money.

Exactly. Dak and his side know what they are doing. And Dallas does too. They want an additional year of control during his prime years at what could be a discounted number. Sounds ridiculous that $35 million a year could be a discounted rate but it very well could be with the new parameters of the CBA.

schddog72
04-29-2020, 01:00 PM
This is getting old really. I mean, Dak is good and he?s in the Top 5-7 qb?s in the league. Just sign a damn contract. I mean, it?s $37m a year. You just won 8 games. Quit holding out already.

Totally agree; Dak is not coming across positively because of this protracted process. Appearing to be more and more like most all professional athletes - self-centered and suffering from terminal greed. Having said that, thoughts and prayers for him in the loss of his brother.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2020, 01:12 PM
You guys are damn fools if you think he should settle. He just had one of the best years in franchise history. He's not greedy. He's smart.

Lord McBuckethead
04-29-2020, 01:22 PM
You guys are damn fools if you think he should settle. He just had one of the best years in franchise history. He's not greedy. He's smart.

I 100% agree on this statement. Dak has played at a severe ((SEVERE)) discount since the day he took over as QB1. No other QB in the league has played under similar circumstances that I can remember. Multiple years as starting QB1 with pay on the scale of a back up kicker. He deserves to get everything he can exactly how he wants it. Why not just demand a contract that guarantees him 175 million over 5 years, but each year he has to get paid as a minimum top 5 qb in the league. If Jerry wants him for 5, make concessions that he will stay in the top 5 for the duration of the contract.

Year 1 - #1 paid QB per year
Year 2 - maybe top 3 qb per year, but salary stays exactly where it is
Year 3-5 - has to match the the 5th best if they all exceed his contract per year amount.

Or hell, go 5 years 200 million and be done with it. all guaranteed money.

Jerry is a baller, time to show what being a big time billionaire owner is worth.

Lord McBuckethead
04-29-2020, 01:24 PM
Exactly. Dak and his side know what they are doing. And Dallas does too. They want an additional year of control during his prime years at what could be a discounted number. Sounds ridiculous that $35 million a year could be a discounted rate but it very well could be with the new parameters of the CBA.

The truth is Dallas should have signed him to a real contract 2 years ago. but noooooooo. They took that extra cash and put it in their pockets. Paying Zeke wayyyyy too much money. Finally getting WR1 on board with amari. Now none of that works without prescott.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2020, 01:30 PM
The truth is Dallas should have signed him to a real contract 2 years ago. but noooooooo. They took that extra cash and put it in their pockets. Paying Zeke wayyyyy too much money. Finally getting WR1 on board with amari. Now none of that works without prescott.

Paying Zeke what they did is going to be an issue I think in this. They shouldn't have paid him what they did. And you are correct. Dak should have been the first contract they took care of.

Dak has a lot of power and they have the offensive weapons and I think the HC to win big now. I think ultimately Dallas gets a deal done for him unless Jerry decides to do something drastic like eat a bunch of dead cap and trade for Rodgers after this year. But the options out there aren't very good and the draft next year has 2 big time QBs that will go Top 3 picks and are probably out of range of Dallas. Dak has a ton of leverage.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Double post

Ifyouonlyknew
04-29-2020, 01:32 PM

*Slow Clap*

confucius say
04-29-2020, 02:02 PM

Define settle. He needs to strike a balance between money and years before the June deadline to make sure there is 75-100 million guaranteed, otherwise he will play this season with the franchise tag and nothing guaranteed going forward. One broken hip/neck/etc and nothing more after this year. Can't take that kind of risk.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2020, 02:51 PM
Define settle. He needs to strike a balance between money and years before the June deadline to make sure there is 75-100 million guaranteed, otherwise he will play this season with the franchise tag and nothing guaranteed going forward. One broken hip/neck/etc and nothing more after this year. Can't take that kind of risk.

He doesn't need to sacrifice anything. If Dallas decides not to do it (I believe they will), he gets the tag and makes even more somewhere else next year. That offense is loaded with three good WRs and a solid receiving TE, along with a pretty good Zeke. That defense is going to give up points and that offense will be on the field a lot. I see one helluva season coming for Dak if that OL protects even decent. Teams will line up for Dak after this season and Dallas knows it.

Cowbell
04-29-2020, 03:07 PM
He doesn't need to sacrifice anything. If Dallas decides not to do it (I believe they will), he gets the tag and makes even more somewhere else next year. That offense is loaded with three good WRs and a solid receiving TE, along with a pretty good Zeke. That defense is going to give up points and that offense will be on the field a lot. I see one helluva season coming for Dak if that OL protects even decent. Teams will line up for Dak after this season and Dallas knows it.
This guy gets it. I'm you guys saying he should take the deal don't realize just how underplayed he has been thus far. And quit listening to the media that is being fed by Jerry!

Dawgology
04-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Totally agree; Dak is not coming across positively because of this protracted process. Appearing to be more and more like most all professional athletes - self-centered and suffering from terminal greed. Having said that, thoughts and prayers for him in the loss of his brother.

Stop posting. This is a dumb take.

Why settle for $35 mill instead of $37 mill....because 2 million dollars.

confucius say
04-29-2020, 04:20 PM

Fully agree with this if you completely take injury out of the equation.

msudawglb
04-29-2020, 07:11 PM

I hardly think $175M for 5 years is settling. He did have a wonderful season, but his team only won 8 games and missed the playoffs.

Cowbell
04-29-2020, 09:57 PM
I hardly think $175M for 5 years is settling. He did have a wonderful season, but his team only won 8 games and missed the playoffs.
He wants a chance to bet on himself again. It's really simple. He has a narrow window and 5 years vs 4 is a big deal. If it wasn't, Dallas would offer 4 years by now.

RocketDawg
04-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Yep. At that level, what's the difference in a couple milllion per year. Could wind up with basically nothing like the ULaLa guy. Strike while the iron is hot.

WSOPdawg
04-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Damn FG kicker (Maher) cost them 3 games or else they would've won 11. They finally cut him in the last month of the season.

TheLostDawg
05-01-2020, 06:23 AM
The thing that gets me is if he'd have signed a five year contact two years ago, he'd have three years left. If he signs one now then he'll have a four year contract, that he's wanting, next year. All this is obvious which makes me believe he's betting on himself and that the new NFL cap, or whatever is it, is going to be significantly higher. I wanted Dak to sign so they could pay other players but that just isn't what happens. It's just going to be the next guy up who holds out and get the maximum they can. I was surprised Cooper took less to stay but I'm sure there is more to it than that. Also I'm sure that he knows the past can repeat itself and he doesn't want to go somewhere else and have any Oakland situation. I think in the long run he'll make more with the cowboys staying. Again I'm sure there was more to it than taking less such as the terms might have been better with the cowboys even though he makes less.

Hambone
05-01-2020, 07:47 AM
I know you can’t quantify it, however I think another take is Dak and his agent are trying to make up for the low salary of his first 5 years.

Dak was the lowest paid starting QB every year he started. Jerry and the cowboys should have bumped his pay (understandable, he signed a previous contract). BUT once Jerry and the organization realized he was the future, they should have put out another contract.

What Dak was being paid as the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys was criminal.

TheLostDawg
05-01-2020, 09:28 AM
I know you can’t quantify it, however I think another take is Dak and his agent are trying to make up for the low salary of his first 5 years.

Dak was the lowest paid starting QB every year he started. Jerry and the cowboys should have bumped his pay (understandable, he signed a previous contract). BUT once Jerry and the organization realized he was the future, they should have put out another contract.

What Dak was being paid as the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys was criminal.

I agree. They were paying a QB who didn't even dress out more than Dak.
Speaking of that, are they through paying Romo yet?