PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Releases Name, Image, & Likeness Recomendations

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Basically, get ready for high schools recruits to have agents that shop them around in an effort to secure marketing opportunities before signing their letter of intent.

That's what I got from this.

This won't work

Cooterpoot
04-28-2020, 04:35 PM
It won't pass like that.

Todd4State
04-28-2020, 04:38 PM
It won't pass like that.

I agree. I don't like that these players can't represent the school that they go to. And it looks to me like they can get paid whatever they get from whoever they are advertising.

NWADAWG
04-28-2020, 05:05 PM
So a school like Oregon could pay all top recruits as much as they wanted to model Nike shoes.

Lord McBuckethead
04-28-2020, 05:20 PM
So a school like Oregon could pay all top recruits as much as they wanted to model Nike shoes.

Sure. That is how this was always going to work. Did anyone think anything different?

Bout time we had a bunch of guys repping whatever our cigar fellas have to rep. I could easily see 5* kids making one commercial and being paid a couple million easy. Just imagine what Mr Newton could have gotten.

BrunswickDawg
04-28-2020, 05:24 PM
I agree. I don't like that these players can't represent the school that they go to. And it looks to me like they can get paid whatever they get from whoever they are advertising.

Seems like a much smarter way to do this would be to allow the school to be part of the process - you can use the athlete, use our trademark uniforms, and pay the money to the school or the schools exclusive marketing arm (like Learfield) and the money goes to fund athlete stipends. Yeah, the star players are going to do more ads, but it would control it better and benefit all athletes.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 05:53 PM
It won't pass like that.

I feel like this is a PC, blue blood driven agenda that simply won't get the support of anywhere near most of the Power 5

confucius say
04-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Who are the members of the working group? Bc that is what they came up with? Geez.

Fully disclosable. Soph, Jr and Sr only. Cap the amount. No agent but school can help the athletes.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Who are the members of the working group? Bc that is what they came up with? Geez.

Fully disclosable. Soph, Jr and Sr only. Cap the amount. No agent but school can help the athletes.

the people that came up with this proposal don't see the big picture. My guess is that it's a group so tunnel visioned on athletes being able to profit that they are missing unintended consequances of such action.

BHildreth3
04-28-2020, 07:53 PM
I just want to know if we can get "NCAA Football 2022" on PS4, XBox, PS5, etc!!!!

Todd4State
04-28-2020, 08:44 PM
I just want to know if we can get "NCAA Football 2022" on PS4, XBox, PS5, etc!!!!

I'm sure that's coming. If nothing else.

I just want us to be able to pay our baseball players legally. Mangum and MacNamee would have racked up enough money to buy their own Dudy-Noble Field if this was in place when they played.

For us in baseball it will be interesting. We could give higher scholarship amounts to freshmen percentage wise, make guys like Mangum that are going to get more royalties "walk-on"- which they are walking on anyway by the time they are a senior- and supplement the difference with royalties.

This is going to be our "Lottery"/"Vanderbilt hardship" scholarship loophole. When you have a fan base like MSU- you just need elite coaches which we have shown that we can attract to identify talent and recruit it. We have the alumni/boosters that are rabid enough to pay the difference within the confines of the rules.

Homedawg
04-28-2020, 09:26 PM
The whole thing is bad for college sports. But it's going that way so get use to it...

Commercecomet24
04-28-2020, 09:33 PM
There's gonna be almost no way for the ncaa to regulate this. Welcome to the Wild West!

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 09:38 PM
The whole thing is bad for college sports. But it's going that way so get use to it...

If everyone realizes that it's bad for college sports, then who is voting for it?

I even heard Cohen disagree with it one day.

TUSK
04-28-2020, 09:39 PM
I don't dig it, but this is just a "toe in the water"... It's definitely coming, however...

We gonna get an additional division outta all this, IMO...

coachnorm
04-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Because of misconduct of the NCAA in the past, USC Bush, North Carolina Basketball, Miami Football, etc. the courts are not cooperating with them any more. Power is slipping away from them because the NCAA is not seen in a positive manner any more.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 09:50 PM
I don't dig it, but this is just a "toe in the water"... It's definitely coming, however...

We gonna get an additional division outta all this, IMO...

Maybe. I think all the SEC schools would be in that

TUSK
04-28-2020, 10:00 PM
Maybe. I think all the SEC schools would be in that

probably not "all", but there will be a significant SEC presence, no doubt...

it'll be about Revenue/Money, Market and Success....

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 10:01 PM
What about if compensation for name & likeness was only limited to JRs & SRs?

That way the money & opportunities went to players who had actually earned it at the collegiate level rather than being used as a major part of the recruiting strategy.

If all players are eligible for compensation, then the Dak Prescotts may not make near as much money as next year's 5 star croot. Seems like we'd want to design a system where players are benefitting from what they do on campus rather what they did before they got there.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 10:02 PM
I just can't figure out who is voting for this?

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 07:41 AM
Looks like they're going to do it. I want to see the rules before I judge but this seems like a disaster for college sports & MSU

Maroonthirteen
04-29-2020, 07:49 AM
IF.... this did pass. I would be ok with no school logos. Most people won't know who the athlete is or where he plays. However put a logo on their chest.... everyone knows. .... and State and Vandy would be the least two represented logos in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 07:56 AM
IF.... this did pass. I would be ok with no school logos. Most people won't know who the athlete is or where he plays. However put a logo on their chest.... everyone knows. .... and State and Vandy would be the least two represented logos in the SEC.

Unless their are strick regulations, it's just going to turn into a recruiting tool

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:06 AM
So, are the memebers not able to vote on this?

Who is the board of governers?

smootness
04-29-2020, 08:10 AM

That wouldn't be a great plan from Nike's perspective.

BulldogDX55
04-29-2020, 08:11 AM
So, are the memebers not able to vote on this?

Who is the board of governers?

Fingers crossed that means a new video game next summer. Considering that the NCAA games work off of the same engines as Madden the hard part is already done so I am sure they can NCAA-ify it in fifteen months.

smootness
04-29-2020, 08:13 AM
This is being blown a little out of proportion. The athletes will have to disclose their deals. If those deals are outliers for the business, it will still be against NCAA rules. Sure, someone can pay a ton for one commercial, but that will be no different than someone giving a recruit a bunch of money now.

smootness
04-29-2020, 08:13 AM
NCAA Football will not be coming back anytime soon, it looks like. Part of these recommendations include language preventing anyone from producing a college football game.

And this doesn't allow players' name and images to be used in conjunction with their teams and logos, so that pretty much throws it out anyway.

Don't expect a game anytime in the near future.

Maroonthirteen
04-29-2020, 08:15 AM
Unless their are strick regulations, it's just going to turn into a recruiting tool

No kidding. I'm not for it. But as we see... it will pass.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:15 AM
Wolken has a pretty informative article here. We're just at the beginning of this. I doubt it passes without heavy negotiation & regulation.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
This is being blown a little out of proportion. The athletes will have to disclose their deals. If those deals are outliers for the business, it will still be against NCAA rules. Sure, someone can pay a ton for one commercial, but that will be no different than someone giving a recruit a bunch of money now.

I agree, but many of the schools are backed by BIG businesses.

How much can Yellawood pay an Auburn player?

How about Blue Bell & Texaco paying A&M players?

How about that Alabama steele or oil company paying Bama players?

How about LSU players doing Canes & Popeyes commericals?

How much can those companies pay?

What can Nike pay an Oregon player?

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:19 AM
No kidding. I'm not for it. But as we see... it will pass.

I need to see the regulations first. No way this get the majority membership vote without heavy regulations

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:24 AM
Good explanation of the difficulty of making an NCAA video game

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:38 AM

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 08:55 AM
I’ll be interested to see If autograph sessions are Allowed

smootness
04-29-2020, 08:58 AM

How much can they pay? Plenty.

How much should they pay? Probably not nearly as much as they can.

And it would still be against NCAA rules for them to pay way more than they typically would for an endorsement deal.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 09:02 AM
How much can they pay? Plenty.

How much should they pay? Probably not nearly as much as they can.

And it would still be against NCAA rules for them to pay way more than they typically would for an endorsement deal.

Yeah. We just need to see the rules. It can work with heavy regulations

BrunswickDawg
04-29-2020, 09:22 AM

How much will our QB get paid for screaming "Downtown LOUISVILLE...." on the dawgzillatron????

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 09:31 AM
How much will our QB get paid for screaming "Downtown LOUISVILLE...." on the dawgzillatron????

$50 ?

FISHDAWG
04-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Yep ... I can feel OM setting up fake corporations and designing a brand new production studio .... I think the $ from the imaging should go into a fund and be doled out as a stipend to ALL players on a teams roster ... just too many ways to legally cheat in this format

FISHDAWG
04-29-2020, 10:53 AM
I?ll be interested to see If autograph sessions are Allowed

that would be huge and almost impossible to police

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2020, 06:20 PM
Rosebowl had an outstanding Boneyard today & made some great points on this.

the 1 time free transfer rule in combination with the name & likeness deregulation will basically end G5 football as those schools will be consistently poached by power 5 schools offering marketing opportunities.

The only way any semblance of this rule passes is with heavy, heavy, heavy regulation that puts a little bit of money into the pockets of the players but not much.

IMO, the mistake the NCAA is making is that instead of the players hiring a 3rd party agent to handl the negotitions, the schools should hire someone to handle this & all financial transactions for name & likeness must go through that designated person at the school.

That would make this doable IMO

IMissJack
04-29-2020, 06:26 PM
With attendance dropping and more and more limited distribution of high level talent, this will be just another nail in the coffin of marginal programs.