PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Transfer Portal - Intrigue

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2020, 06:51 PM
Who needs a RHP with CWS experience, already TJ'ed, and plenty of starts in the SEC?

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_99cfb54c-8109-11ea-b9bb-8f3bfe00dd5d.html

https://lsusports.net/sports/baseball/roster/eric-walker/17803

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Who wants an Ole Miss intriguer? Bats right handed, but career Sub-Mendoza

https://lsusports.net/sports/baseball/roster/drew-bianco/17709

https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2020/04/22/drew-bianco-leaving-lsu-enters-name-in-transfer-portal/

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Hal Hughes will go play for his pops at Kansas State.

Hughes to Rice. Wow.

I'm meh on Walker. He's not very talented. Not sure where he'd fit in for us.

I could see Dallas Baptist taking him

Todd4State
04-27-2020, 10:03 PM
I don't believe we're going to need to hit the portal for transfers personally. I'm scared that we're going to start Tanner Leggett at second base though.

If Ginn comes back and I think he does and he's healthy then you have him and MacLeoud and Cerentola back. Harding looked like he was coming into his own as a midweek guy. I think Sims could close next year for us and Bednar could move back into the bullpen if Ginn is back in the rotation and then we have Spencer Price who looked good. And I'm leaving out a bunch of guys too.

We're set at catcher with Tanner and Hancock.

MIF will be new guys I'm sure. But I think Hatcher is probably back at first base. Hopefully we get Blaze Jordan and play him at third and move Kamren James to SS. I could see Mason Land starting at second base.

OF- I think Tanner Allen may come back and Rowdey should be back too. If not we have Pimentel, Brock, and Cumbest.

So if we're going to hit the portal it would have to be either:

1. A complete game changing type of player that you find a spot for. Like a potential first round guy.

2. Maybe a MIF- I doubt we do that unless there is a veteran second baseman like a Chris Lotterhos that wants to come here.

Randolph Dupree
04-27-2020, 10:53 PM
I don't believe we're going to need to hit the portal for transfers personally. I'm scared that we're going to start Tanner Leggett at second base though.

If Ginn comes back and I think he does and he's healthy then you have him and MacLeoud and Cerentola back. Harding looked like he was coming into his own as a midweek guy. I think Sims could close next year for us and Bednar could move back into the bullpen if Ginn is back in the rotation and then we have Spencer Price who looked good. And I'm leaving out a bunch of guys too.

MIF will be new guys I'm sure. But I think Hatcher is probably back at first base. Hopefully we get Blaze Jordan and play him at third and move Kamren James to SS. I could see Mason Land starting at second base.

OF- I think Tanner Allen may come back and Rowdey should be back too. If not we have Pimentel, Brock, and Cumbest.

1. A complete game changing type of player that you find a spot for. Like a potential first round guy.

2. Maybe a MIF- I doubt we do that unless there is a veteran second baseman like a Chris Lotterhos that wants to come here.

I doubt we hit the portal, in fact I can see us having one or two in the portal. Also, I am confident TA stays. Honestly, right now, Foscue is the only one I'd put big money on leaving. I can still see a scenario where Westy stays, not saying it will happen but don't be totally shocked if it happens. if we can come out of this with Ginn, Hatcher, Rowdy and TA we will be tough next year. Westburg would be icing.

Homedawg
04-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Barring a star falling in our lap we won't hit the portal. We are going to have to cut a lot of good players w the rules that are in place now.

trob115
04-28-2020, 07:54 AM
There's a good chance Foscue and Westy are back.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 08:00 AM
There's a good chance Foscue and Westy are back.

What?

Come on?

Both are going to be top 50 picks. They aren't coming back

AlSwearengen
04-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Foscue and Westburg are in the first 2 rounds in every mock draft that i have seen (several) and one i saw yesterday had both going at the end of the 1st round. They are gone.

Saltydog
04-28-2020, 10:13 AM
In all likelihood, they're both gone. I read something yesterday that Foscue has moved up the draft boards quickly the past few weeks and may be a high second rounder. We'll see. I will say this though, if one (much less both) comes back, we're going to be damn good. I mean, CWS good. Those frosh pitchers were coming on and should only get better.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 10:22 AM
In all likelihood, they're both gone. I read something yesterday that Foscue has moved up the draft boards quickly the past few weeks and may be a high second rounder. We'll see. I will say this though, if one (much less both) comes back, we're going to be damn good. I mean, CWS good. Those frosh pitchers were coming on and should only get better.

If Foscue goes in the 2nd round, it'll be high.

What people need to realize about Foscue is that he checks the 3 main boxes in evaluation.

1. Zone control - For his career at MSU, he has 53 strikeouts & 51 BBs. This year he was off to a 3 strikeout 15 BB start. Point being, he doesn't strike out & that is the single biggest predictor of future success at the pro level.

2. Power - Hit 14 HRs in 2019. When power is combined with zone control, you've got a real player.

3. Can play a position & hits for enough power to profile: can play 2B & 3B at adequate levels & hits for enough power to profile at both.

We can argue all day about Foscue's ceiling as a player. Is he an all-star, is he just a below average regular?

However, from a pure analytical standpoint, he's about as certain of a future MLB player as you're going to get. There is no red flag that gives you pause that this kid won't be an MLB player.

Randolph Dupree
04-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Foscue is gone, and he should be. Scouts are very high on him, his game is solid all the way around. Westy has all the potential, but there are some things he could do better. . In a normal year he would be gone but with a limited draft and smaller salary pool don't be surprised if he slips a bit and decides to come back. Again, not saying it will happen, but given the circumstances it could play out.

The Federalist Engineer
04-28-2020, 10:42 AM

We need a Right-Handed hitting 3B to improve the L/R balance that we lose with Foscue and Westy being high picks.

2020 was just a short season, made me feel great about Kamren James. But the rest of the MIF gang looks too left handed, very unproven, and/or potentially very weak hitting.

We have a storm of Freshman signees for MIF coming, but that won’t make up for Foscue snd Westburg

FISHDAWG
04-28-2020, 10:43 AM

Tanner Leggett is a pretty good player ... just hasn't been able to get much experience at this level yet ... he will prove himself

AlSwearengen
04-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Going by Lemonis’ comments on different occasions, I would look for James at SS (pretty much a no brainer) and Mason Land at 2B. They really seem to like Land’s bat and they were starting to get him more plate appearances about the time the season ended.