PDA

View Full Version : How Does Ole Miss Win Any Recruiting Battles?

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Seriously, outside of buying players, what do they sell?

It?s not hard to see that virtually no players are developed there and they have no reputation putting a ?certain type? of player in the NFL.

I just have zero idea what they have to sell.

It?s why IMO, culture is so important.

TheLostDawg
04-25-2020, 06:04 PM
They coaches tell sorority girls there when recruits come in so they'll be all over them recruiting weekends, they pay players, and they give them everywhere they want once they get there.

They don't get players looking at long term. Look at the Nkemdiche brothers. Partied the whole time and should have gone to jail.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 06:07 PM
They coaches tell sorority girls there when recruits come in so they'll be all over them recruiting weekends, they pay players, and they give them everywhere they want once they get there.

They don't get players looking at long term. Look at the Nkemdiche brothers. Partied the whole time and should have gone to jail.

I get that but surely players aren’t willing to throw away their careers for that, unless they’re just idiots.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 06:11 PM

It?s not hard to see that virtually no players are developed there and they have no reputation putting a ?certain type? of player in the NFL.

They buying not selling.

Todd4State
04-25-2020, 06:13 PM
I get that but surely players aren’t willing to throw away their careers for that, unless they’re just idiots.

Sometimes people are just idiots. And they end up asking me if I want fries with that.

Maroonthirteen
04-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Buddy of mine, whose kid signed a D1 scholarship (ACC) this cycle. Said..... OM was Very aggressively recruiting his kid. They rolled out the red carpet. State was cold as ice.

But.... that's just one kid. Take it for what it's worth. I don't think we were interested when the kid visited.

Just from my personal experience, their fans are much interested in recruiting and kissing ass when the players get to campus.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 06:15 PM
Sometimes people are just idiots. And they end up asking me if I want fries with that.

After what I saw from Benito Jones his FR year, the idea that he’s gone undrafted is wild to me.

starkvegasdawg
04-25-2020, 06:15 PM

The massages weren't for Hugh.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Buddy of mine, whose kid signed a D1 scholarship this cycle. Said..... OM was all in. Very aggressively recruited his kid. Btw, State was cold as ice. But.... that's just one kid. I don't think we were interested when the kid visited.

Maybe we didn’t think he was any good.

TheLostDawg
04-25-2020, 06:16 PM

More like 17 years old and haven't matured. In their minds they are the greatest and will reach there NFL no matter what because they are that good because that's what they're told. Immediate gratification. Like our players this year. They just thought they'd win because they should. They didn't put in the extra work. Again I think Moorhead is a good guy but that's the program we were heading to if we didn't change. We're a program that works hard and after practice. Not ones that go through the motions. Go look at KJ Wright's comments to players when they get to the NFL. Basically he tells them don't ruin it for the next guy coming up at State. Work your butt off because they've worked too hard to establish the reputation MSU has in the NFL. KJ isn't the best LB in the NFL but if you watch the Seahawks, you'll see him at the end of every play. That's who MSU is. We lost that the past two years. Hopefully the tenacity is back.

Matt3467
04-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Pretty close. One of our biggest recruits ever lived down the road from family of mine and I know first hand Ole Miss threw women on them.

Edit: Also bought his parents a really nice car and had them set up with good jobs. That was until of course he decided to come here.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 06:19 PM
More like 17 years old and haven't matured. In their minds they are the greatest and will reach there NFL no matter what because they are that good because that's what they're told. Immediate gratification. Like our players this year. They just thought they'd win because they should. They didn't put in the extra work. Again I think Moorhead is a good guy but that's the program we were heading to if we didn't change. We're a program that works hard and after practice. Not ones that go through the motions. Go look at KJ Wright's comments to players when they get to the NFL. Basically he tells them don't ruin it for the next guy coming up at State. Work your butt off because they've worked to especially the reputation MSU has on the NFL. KJ isn't the best LB in the NFL but if you watch the Seahawks, you'll see him at the end of every play. That's who MSU us. We lost that the past two years. Hopefully the tenacity is back.

Strain

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 06:20 PM
Pretty close. One of our biggest recruits ever lived down the road from family of mine and I know first hand Ole Miss threw women on them.

Edit: Also bought his parents a really nice car and had them set up with good jobs. That was until of course he decided to come here.

Which makes sense as to why their players don’t pan out. Kids attracted that likely don’t have the greatest discipline or intelligence

TheLostDawg
04-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Strain

Haha sorry. Hopefully corrected now

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 06:27 PM
Haha sorry. Hopefully corrected now

Lol ... I love that word now. Hated it when Mullen first started using it but sure wanted it back after about 1/2 season of Mohead offense, and 2nd season of both O & D.

Maroonthirteen
04-25-2020, 06:32 PM
Maybe we didn’t think he was any good.

His position coach at MSU. .... Told his Dad that the kid was to short. Kid is 6-3 280lbs.

OM recruited him hard. But Dad wasn't interested because of probation.

Hambone
04-25-2020, 07:08 PM
It’s simple.... money.

They will pay for the name and the ranking. If they can’t get the stars to sign, they will pay 247 for the “bump”

Jack Lambert
04-25-2020, 07:29 PM
I get that but surely players aren?t willing to throw away their careers for that, unless they?re just idiots.

I agree they can get ***** no matter where they go to school. I think it is what Ole Miss offers their families in way of benefits.

parabrave
04-25-2020, 07:38 PM

To Quote the Temptations "Money Money Moneyyyyy Money"

KOdawg1
04-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Recruiting is their real season. They would rather sign a 5* than win an SEC game, and that's the honest truth. They love the feeling of kids wanting to go to their school. So much that they tweet kids constantly, blow smoke up their ass, and create the false narrative that Oxford is this elite destination.

Our fans for the most part couldn't care less about recruiting. We've had to develop our talent for so long that we've just come to expect it.

Mississippi represents flash, entitlement, and false realities. Mississippi State represents toughness, hard work, and preparedness for the real world.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Recruiting is their real season. They would rather sign a 5* than win an SEC game, and that's the honest truth. They love the feeling of kids wanting to go to their school. So much that they tweet kids constantly, blow smoke up their ass, and create the false narrative that Oxford is this elite destination.

Our fans for the most part couldn't care less about recruiting. We've had to develop our talent for so long that we've just come to expect it.

Mississippi represents flash, entitlement, and false realities. Mississippi State represents toughness, hard work, and preparedness for the real world.

Gonna be hard to sell a false narrative with no draft picks

DeviousDawg
04-25-2020, 08:01 PM

You can have all the parts, and all the resources to put it together, but without the right culture, you will ALWAYS have a glass ceiling that prevents you from competing for championships. You see it every year from blue blood teams a across the country. Culture is key, obviously it’s just a part of the equation, but you take it out of the equation and the calculator will read “ERROR”