PDA

View Full Version : Just in case you still didn't know how bad Joe was

msstate7
04-25-2020, 09:16 AM
We had 2 proven sec RBs with one coming off a 1100 yard season, will have our 4th olinemen on an nfl roster today after Williams gets drafted (Jenkins and Calhoun started in nfl as rookies), and the sec all time leading rusher for qbs. We could have ran 80% of the time and won 10 games easily. Let's don't even discuss the defensive talent. Mullen left joe a monster, and he made it a muppet baby.

shoeless joe
04-25-2020, 09:19 AM
Yep. He was a clown. And unfortunately it was obvious from the very beginning. As someone who is not a Cohen hater it still blows my mind that he didn’t pick up on joe’s shtick and went on with the hire.

IMissJack
04-25-2020, 09:21 AM
We had 2 proven sec RBs with one coming off a 1100 yard season, will have our 4th olinemen on an nfl roster today after Williams gets drafted (Jenkins and Calhoun started in nfl as rookies), and the sec all time leading rusher for qbs. We could have ran 80% of the time and won 10 games easily. Let's don't even discuss the defensive talent. Mullen left joe a monster, and he made it a muppet baby.

Preach!

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 09:25 AM

He was mind boggling bad.

I told y'all that my NFL scout friend said that our coaching staff was the joke of front offices.

NFL front offices couldn't understand how we lost so many games.

confucius say
04-25-2020, 09:30 AM
Damn it 7. I don't need any additional reasons to start drinking today!

calidawg
04-25-2020, 09:32 AM
The biggest travesty in msu football history and maybe ever in our lifetime. Such a shame the waste of that year.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 09:35 AM
It freakin sucks to think about. Had some warriors on that 2018 team and some left over in 2019. Over the coarse of 2 years turned us into a powder puff team.

Cooterpoot
04-25-2020, 09:42 AM
At least Cohen shoved his ass out the door. If we had stuck with him........holy shit!

Churchill
04-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Cohen was absolutely forced to get him out of there. Cohen is the problem...not the solution. One day everyone will be on the same page on this. Just stand by.

Lance Harbor
04-25-2020, 10:48 AM
It was not obvious from the very beginning. It didn't work out, but it was overwhelmingly well received.

Yep. He was a clown. And unfortunately it was obvious from the very beginning. As someone who is not a Cohen hater it still blows my mind that he didn’t pick up on joe’s shtick and went on with the hire.

WinningIsRelentless
04-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Cohen was absolutely forced to get him out of there. Cohen is the problem...not the solution. One day everyone will be on the same page on this. Just stand by.

Cohen was ready to can him in the middle of the season and Mark said no. Then the plan was to fire him no matter what after the Egg Bowl and Mark backed out again.

I?m not a Hudspeth fan at all but if he had been here last year then Joe would have been gone after TN.

msbulldog
04-25-2020, 10:49 AM

Hmmm, got us Lemonis, Leach and Nikki, not too damn bad!

bluelightstar
04-25-2020, 11:05 AM
His tenure was effectively over after he lost to Dan Mullen. We spent the next 20 games playing out the string.

Jacksondevildog
04-25-2020, 11:23 AM
I knew when Moorhead had Fitz throw the ball 30 plus times in a driving rainstorm in Lexington in '18, he wasn't going to cut it. Mullen would have uglied that game to death, ran the football and won. His gameplan for LSU in Baton Rouge was a complete shit show as well. People were defending him on this board up until the moment he was fired.

maroonmania
04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
His tenure was effectively over after he lost to Dan Mullen. We spent the next 20 games playing out the string.

As well its should have been. When your former coach takes an inferior team and then comes into your house and beats you with them, you know you've significantly downgraded and it is probably time to look in a different direction.

ZedFedder
04-25-2020, 12:01 PM
It would have been more understandable if we would have had a bad defense and a good offense. What is crazy is that we struggled where he was supposed to be so good.

WSOPdawg
04-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Rep Given !!!

redstickdawg
04-25-2020, 12:11 PM
As well its should have been. When your former coach takes an inferior team and then comes into your house and beats you with them, you know you've significantly downgraded and it is probably time to look in a different direction.

Bingo, Although my stomach really turned after the debacle at Kentucky in'18. We had so many PF and unsportsmanlike penalties that it was obvious that the inmates were running the asylum.

Oh what could have been with a decent coach!

Saltydog
04-25-2020, 12:16 PM
Off the cuff all of those sounds like good hires. Lemonis inherited a shit load of talent. Let's see how history works out before we anoint any of them.

R2Dawg
04-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Hmmm, got us Lemonis, Leach and Nikki, not too damn bad!

Well one of three has coached one season and the other two haven't coached a game here. Little premature on how good the hires are. I like them all for what it looks like from this viewpoint just can't say he hit a home run yet.

Bothrops
04-25-2020, 01:26 PM
He was mind boggling bad.

Joe was mind boggled, when he got down here and realized what he knew about football needed to be tossed out the window and there was no back-up plan.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 01:32 PM
Off the cuff all of those sounds like good hires. Lemonis inherited a shit load of talent. Let's see how history works out before we anoint any of them.

Not a bad idea.

Todd4State
04-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Joe did not command the respect of our players and tried to be their friends and therefore they did not respect him. He simply did not demand enough discipline to succeed in a conference with people like Saban who are uber disciplined.

That's pretty much the bottom line on him and his tenure.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 01:43 PM

Thought about this some more and my response has changed to ... Naww, it was all Fitz' fault **

NCDawg
04-25-2020, 01:51 PM

I knew after the Kentucky game in his first year that he was totally out of his league. The team was unprepared and undisciplined.

KOdawg1
04-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Joe underestimated the speed of the SEC. His foolproof offense worked at Fordham against slow, white dudes and at Penn State where he had Saquon Barkley, but you take that all away, and he had know idea how to adjust to an SEC defense. None.

TheLostDawg
04-25-2020, 02:15 PM
It really shows how bad he was when you look at our draft picks last year and this year compared to say ole Miss. We had the talent. No coaching. I could have gone out there and won more games than he did. He was just "too smart for his own good". I agree that the play calling worked against lesser opponents. I think more than that, he needs someone to keep his play calling in check. It was too slow. You can't go against some of the best coaches and players in the nation and give them time to adjust to your play each down. Especially when some teams have ex coaches that only study their opponents. Adding to that what someone said above, you can't expect a player who isn't a passes to throw 30+ times in a rain storm. Moorhead is a great offensive coordinator when he has someone to cut out the crap. I think that he's a great guy and wish him well but a HC in the SEC, he is not.

TrapGame
04-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Joe underestimated the speed of the SEC. His foolproof offense worked at Fordham against slow, white dudes and at Penn State where he had Saquon Barkley, but you take that all away, and he had know idea how to adjust to an SEC defense. None.

Hud and Johnson showed him how to adjust his offense and he was too stubborn to swallow his pride. That Auburn game was the best game we played that season. Joe was more worried about being an offensive coordinator than a head coach.

shoeless joe
04-25-2020, 03:26 PM
It was not obvious from the very beginning. It didn't work out, but it was overwhelmingly well received.

It was obvious to some and should have been obvious to Cohen. As someone who is around a ton of coaches he should have picked up on the signals that jomo wouldn?t cut it. I saw it and I know several that did also. Or I guess we just got lucky and it played out exactly like we predicted.

Todd4State
04-25-2020, 03:28 PM
It really shows how bad he was when you look at our draft picks last year and this year compared to say ole Miss. We had the talent. No coaching. I could have gone out there and won more games than he did. He was just "too smart for his own good". I agree that the play calling worked against lesser opponents. I think more than that, he needs someone to keep his play calling in check. It was too slow. You can't go against some of the best coaches and players in the nation and give them time to adjust to your play each down. Especially when some teams have ex coaches that only study their opponents. Adding to that what someone said above, you can't expect a player who isn't a passes to throw 30+ times in a rain storm. Moorhead is a great offensive coordinator when he has someone to cut out the crap. I think that he's a great guy and wish him well but a HC in the SEC, he is not.

I think he had too much on his plate. I also think it seemed to me at least like he was always trying to make some spectacular RPO special play call every time and sometimes all you need to do is have the QB hand it off or run something high percentage like a slant. To me I had the impression that he was maybe a little too concerned about what others thought about him in the industry and when it all came together he ended up just trying too hard to impress people. Which is probably the root of why he had those crazy ass rants in press conferences about fans hurting his daughter's feelings with their criticism in the stands, The Veranda or wherever, the Bob from Bogue Chitto comments, and finally the Egg Bowl press conference rant.

He REALLY should have hired Joe Brady on his staff instead of Breiner.

I'll sure many will disagree but at it's core I don't think his offense was that bad. LSU isn't incorporating your ideas into their offense and you aren't landing on your feet in Oregon as their OC if you're completely trash. I think the MAIN problem again mostly goes back to discipline. To run offenses you have to be very precise in the SEC and that only happens with discipline in the offseason and from a coach that basically demands perfection along with a lot of reps. For example- how much did Fitz work with our receivers in the offseason before 2018? It seemed like he was always going to a beauty pageant and rumors were that he was hanging out in Georgia a lot. And yeah, I get that his girlfriend was there- but could she not have come to Mississippi some too? Or more than she did? If you want to reach your full potential you HAVE TO put the work in. I don't feel like he did. But I also don't feel like our entire TEAM did either. Especially last season.

So, to be clear Moorhead should have been the one demanding that our players work harder than they did. And because they weren't TOLD to by Moorhead I don't totally blame the players for acting the way that they did because it's human nature to take advantage of that. I remember a story about Dan when he first got here demanding that Tyson Lee work on his footwork in the mirror 200 times/reps a day by himself. That's the kind of work that has to be put in to reach your full potential in the SEC at all positions.

Todd4State
04-25-2020, 03:32 PM

It worked at Fordham because they were the only team in their league giving out football scholarships. They are the Vanderbilt baseball of that league.

We would win the SEC running the Notre Dame box if we were the only team in the league giving out scholarships.

R2Dawg
04-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Hud and Johnson showed him how to adjust his offense and he was too stubborn to swallow his pride. That Auburn game was the best game we played that season. Joe was more worried about being an offensive coordinator than a head coach.

So true. Those 3 games told me about all I needed to know about Joe - UK, UF, AU.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Joe Brady made JoeMo a lot of money.

DownwardDawg
04-26-2020, 08:42 AM

You are dead wrong on this one.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2020, 08:53 AM

While I'm not a Cohen fan, Cohen wanted him gone. He wasn't allowed until a couple issues late last year. Just like Cohen wants beer sales but can't get them.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2020, 08:55 AM
I'm betting Moorhead is a one year OC at Oregon. He's that damn bad.

dawgday166
04-26-2020, 09:23 AM
I'm betting Moorhead is a one year OC at Oregon. He's that damn bad.

This is what I'm thinking ... unless he has elite NFL skill players like he did at PSU.

Jacksondevildog
04-26-2020, 10:43 AM
If Cohen wanted him gone, and there was pushback by admin or boosters, there lies another issue. Sometimes, we can't get out of our own way.

While I'm not a Cohen fan, Cohen wanted him gone. He wasn't allowed until a couple issues late last year. Just like Cohen wants beer sales but can't get them.

msstate7
04-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Looks like I jinxed d. Williams.

Hypnodawg
04-26-2020, 11:46 AM
I knew when Moorhead had Fitz throw the ball 30 plus times in a driving rainstorm in Lexington in '18, he wasn't going to cut it. Mullen would have uglied that game to death, ran the football and won. His gameplan for LSU in Baton Rouge was a complete shit show as well. People were defending him on this board up until the moment he was fired.

That was the game that did it for me. It takes a special kind of stupid to come up with that game plan.

WinningIsRelentless
04-26-2020, 11:53 AM

That was a whole lot more Getsy than Hud and Johnson.

bobtail bob
04-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Wound up costing us a whole lot more than if we had just backed the Brinks truck up to the Mullen home and unloaded it. Should have never let the man walk.

1bigdawg
04-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Also, after his play call "adjustment," the defense seemed to have time to adjust.

A couple of times I thought that the defense would line up with an intentionally obvious weakness to get Joe to change to a certain play, then the defense would adjust to stop that particular play, knowing Joe was too slow to change it again.

PGHBulldogBG
04-26-2020, 04:54 PM
The question on 2018 to me becomes whether or not we have tutorgate. I hate the fact we will have to vacate wins but in some ways if we had won 10 or 11 games with a different coach and had to vacate that would?ve been much more devastating

Todd4State
04-26-2020, 05:03 PM
The question on 2018 to me becomes whether or not we have tutorgate. I hate the fact we will have to vacate wins but in some ways if we had won 10 or 11 games with a different coach and had to vacate that would?ve been much more devastating

Do we have to vacate wins? I'm asking because I'm not sure if Ole Miss ever did. I'm sure we'll do the "exemplary cooperation thing".

The thing about TutorGate is I wonder what kind of a season we would have had with those players playing 13 games? The defense was definitely better with those players.

Ultimately TutorGate was a black eye on Joe because I wonder if some of those players would have cheated if they feared what Joe would do to them if they got caught? May have still happened anyway but it does raise a question about discipline and respect.

Todd4State
04-26-2020, 05:05 PM
Wound up costing us a whole lot more than if we had just backed the Brinks truck up to the Mullen home and unloaded it. Should have never let the man walk.

Cohen offered him an extension after Texas A&M 2017 and I may be wrong but it was either the same as or more than what Florida paid him. Or close to it.

Dan wanted out and it was past time for him to leave despite any success because someone that doesn't want to be here will never get us to our full potential. I feel the same way about Napier.

deltadawg63
04-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Cohen offered big time extension after TAMU and Mullen was honest and open and told him he had accomplished all he could here and was ready for change. Napier?s agent has him holding out for USCe after 2020. He is convinced a change is coming there.

Todd4State
04-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Cohen offered big time extension after TAMU and Mullen was honest and open and told him he had accomplished all he could here and was ready for change. Napier?s agent has him holding out for USCe after 2020. He is convinced a change is coming there.

I think South Carolina will make a change too but hiring Napier would be against their previous three hires M.O. which has been hiring retreads like Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier and to a much lesser degree Muschamp. I think they'll try to make a run at Urban Meyer or Mark Dantonio unless they surprise me.

Also- I want to see Jeff Monken get hired at Vanderbilt.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-26-2020, 10:21 PM

For Mullen, it was more than just money it was about professional achievement and reaching for the highest levels. To go back to a high level program as it's top man after being an assistant is pretty compelling to most coaches.

MoreCowbell
04-26-2020, 10:55 PM
I think he had too much on his plate. I also think it seemed to me at least like he was always trying to make some spectacular RPO special play call every time and sometimes all you need to do is have the QB hand it off or run something high percentage like a slant. To me I had the impression that he was maybe a little too concerned about what others thought about him in the industry and when it all came together he ended up just trying too hard to impress people. Which is probably the root of why he had those crazy ass rants in press conferences about fans hurting his daughter's feelings with their criticism in the stands, The Veranda or wherever, the Bob from Bogue Chitto comments, and finally the Egg Bowl press conference rant.

He REALLY should have hired Joe Brady on his staff instead of Breiner.

I'll sure many will disagree but at it's core I don't think his offense was that bad. LSU isn't incorporating your ideas into their offense and you aren't landing on your feet in Oregon as their OC if you're completely trash. I think the MAIN problem again mostly goes back to discipline. To run offenses you have to be very precise in the SEC and that only happens with discipline in the offseason and from a coach that basically demands perfection along with a lot of reps. For example- how much did Fitz work with our receivers in the offseason before 2018? It seemed like he was always going to a beauty pageant and rumors were that he was hanging out in Georgia a lot. And yeah, I get that his girlfriend was there- but could she not have come to Mississippi some too? Or more than she did? If you want to reach your full potential you HAVE TO put the work in. I don't feel like he did. But I also don't feel like our entire TEAM did either. Especially last season.

So, to be clear Moorhead should have been the one demanding that our players work harder than they did. And because they weren't TOLD to by Moorhead I don't totally blame the players for acting the way that they did because it's human nature to take advantage of that. I remember a story about Dan when he first got here demanding that Tyson Lee work on his footwork in the mirror 200 times/reps a day by himself. That's the kind of work that has to be put in to reach your full potential in the SEC at all positions.

Good post

PGHBulldogBG
04-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Do we have to vacate wins? I'm asking because I'm not sure if Ole Miss ever did. I'm sure we'll do the "exemplary cooperation thing".

The thing about TutorGate is I wonder what kind of a season we would have had with those players playing 13 games? The defense was definitely better with those players.

Ultimately TutorGate was a black eye on Joe because I wonder if some of those players would have cheated if they feared what Joe would do to them if they got caught? May have still happened anyway but it does raise a question about discipline and respect.

Their fans might not admit it, but the games are vacated if you look in the record books. It impacts their win percentage and series record The teams that lost to them still get the loss but the wins don?t count. I don?t really agree with the fact teams get the loss considering they lost due to ?special circumstances?

TrapGame
04-27-2020, 07:14 AM
That was a whole lot more Getsy than Hud and Johnson.

I heard rumors about Hud and Joe butting heads about his offense but I didn't hear anything about Getsy that would lead me to believe he would impose his opinions on Joe.

Lord McBuckethead
04-27-2020, 08:50 AM

I think it was after the UK game when he couldn't in game scheme to neutralize one DE and load the box against the run.

Jack Lambert
04-27-2020, 09:16 AM
Cohen offered him an extension after Texas A&M 2017 and I may be wrong but it was either the same as or more than what Florida paid him. Or close to it.

Dan wanted out and it was past time for him to leave despite any success because someone that doesn't want to be here will never get us to our full potential. I feel the same way about Napier.

He was offered 6 million to stay. He did not want to be here. I think he made a mistake. If he doesn't beat GA and get to the SEC championship, I don't care how many games he wins those crazies will run him off and probably the cheerleader with him.

Commercecomet24
04-27-2020, 09:26 AM
He was offered 6 million to stay. He did not want to be here. I think he made a mistake. If he doesn't beat GA and get to the SEC championship, I don't care how many games he wins those crazies will run him off and probably the cheerleader with him.

This, exactly.

ShotgunDawg
04-27-2020, 09:43 AM

A much more frustrated by Mullen giving us 75-80% while he was here than I am about him leaving. Coaches leave every school. However, what they don't typically do is cut their balls off in recruiting because they are constantly looking for another job

I really think we get 100% from Mike Leach, & he's as good or better than Mullen anyway. Much more upside. Leach knows this is HIS CHANCE & I think this little twitter thing is going to fire him up & give him something to prove.

Joebob
04-27-2020, 10:27 AM

We’re better off now anyway, though we had to suffer through two years of hell to get here. Having said that, it would have been fun to see what would have happened in ‘18 if Mullen had stayed one more year.

Homedawg
04-27-2020, 10:46 AM

This^ is all accurate.

Jack Lambert
04-27-2020, 10:51 AM
This^ is all accurate.

I know Miss State has its own Zip code and technically it's own city but how much is Starkville playing into the no sale of beer in stadium. I don't drink alcohol in any form but beer is already in the stadium so why not make money off it? I don't understand the rationale of not selling it, other SEC schools did it and had no problem and made a bunch of money selling it.

Maroonthirteen
04-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Meh, if he had stayed.... he would have been miserable. He had to leave to satisfy his own curiosity.

As for his career, if Florida fires him for coming in 2nd every year. He will find another P5 job.

Maroonthirteen
04-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Bored... working from home random thoughts.

JoMo era....I recall the 2nd half of the Florida game being taken back to the Croom era. I felt there was no way we would score, baring a punt return or pick 6. He lost a large portion of the fan base that night.

I can't believe I actually went to the music city bowl. Whole E sh.... the team was flat. The fans seemed flat. And I almost didn't get a damn ticket. The seat I did get... sucked.

R2Dawg
04-27-2020, 11:28 AM

JoMo era....I recall the 2nd half of the Florida game being taken back to the Croom era. I felt there was no way we would score, baring a punt return or pick 6. He lost a large portion of the fan base that night.

I can't believe I actually went to the music city bowl. Whole E sh.... the team was flat. The fans seemed flat. And I almost didn't get a damn ticket. The seat I did get... sucked.

You brave soul. At that point, I didn't even want to watch but like a train wreck, I had to look.

Agree with you on UF game. That was the game, I knew we could not recover from Joe.

Choctaw Dawg
04-27-2020, 11:44 AM
It was the Kentucky game to me, of course Kentucky had a good team that year but we had a better one. We were a -14.5 point favorite that game and we absolutely shat the bed against them with the worst game plan I have ever seen in my life. That game prepared me for the Florida game expecting a loss to them.

Todd4State
04-27-2020, 11:47 AM

Odd as it sounds- I went to support MSU and Cohen because I know how hard he worked to get us in that bowl.

To me it seemed like our fans were pissed off. Not like yelling stuff rage mad pissed off. Just sitting there silently pissed off. I've never seen a MSU crowd like that. I wouldn't have gone if I knew Shrader was going to be out honestly too.

Maroonthirteen
04-27-2020, 12:09 PM
To me it seemed like our fans were pissed off. Not like yelling stuff rage mad pissed off. Just sitting there silently pissed off. I've never seen a MSU crowd like that. I wouldn't have gone if I knew Shrader was going to be out honestly too.

I agree Todd. Very odd vibe in stadium for that game.

NCDawg
04-27-2020, 12:14 PM
It was the Kentucky game to me, of course Kentucky had a good team that year but we had a better one. We were a -14.5 point favorite that game and we absolutely shat the bed against them with the worst game plan I have ever seen in my life. That game prepared me for the Florida game expecting a loss to them.

My thoughts exactly. Team was flat, unprepared, and undisciplined. Moorhead appeared on the sidelines like he was in a daze and didn't know what to do.

Choctaw Dawg
04-27-2020, 02:12 PM
My thoughts exactly. Team was flat, unprepared, and undisciplined. Moorhead appeared on the sidelines like he was in a daze and didn't know what to do.

I have never been more mad and frustrated after a ball game in my life than that one, I couldn't even sleep that one off.

maroonmania
04-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Mullen was actually leaving after '16, he just couldn't get a decent job offer with a 5-7 regular season. Offseason after '15 was when everything hit the fan. We went 9-4 (Dak's SR year) and Keenum got so fed up with Mullen's job shopping that we wouldn't give Mullen an extension or a raise. Mullen would likely have never stayed anyway but he definitely wasn't staying after that. He displayed his bitterness by showing up coaching in shorts against USA to start the '16 season. But you can't get many top line jobs off a losing season.

Todd4State
04-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Mullen was actually leaving after '16, he just couldn't get a decent job offer with a 5-7 regular season. Offseason after '15 was when everything hit the fan. We went 9-4 (Dak's SR year) and Keenum got so fed up with Mullen's job shopping that we wouldn't give Mullen an extension or a raise. Mullen would likely have never stayed anyway but he definitely wasn't staying after that. He displayed his bitterness by showing up coaching in shorts against USA to start the '16 season. But you can't get many top line jobs off a losing season.

Dan is lucky we didn't tell him to take the Maryland job. That's how I would have handled it.

TrapGame
04-27-2020, 08:44 PM
Team was flat, unprepared, and undisciplined. Moorhead appeared on the sidelines like he was in a daze and didn't know what to do.

That was way too common under Moorhead. That was the sure sign he was in way over his head.

RocketDawg
04-27-2020, 08:47 PM

And he managed to lose the game.

Homedawg
04-27-2020, 09:33 PM
You brave soul. At that point, I didn't even want to watch but like a train wreck, I had to look.

Agree with you on UF game. That was the game, I knew we could not recover from Joe.

Y'all were both one game late. If you didn't see it at uk game you were behind. Those that were on board last Florida were blind w maroon glasses. And there were many.

PGHBulldogBG
04-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Y'all were both one game late. If you didn't see it at uk game you were behind. Those that were on board last Florida were blind w maroon glasses. And there were many.

The craziest were the people who actually thought it was a good hire when we didn?t even interview Scott Satterfield or Neal Brown. I am glad we have Leach but it is still hard for me to understand Cohen hiring Moorhead and not even interviewing those 2. Especially Brown who was a right over in Troy

Maroonthirteen
04-27-2020, 10:09 PM

I wasn't surprise by the loss to UK that game. They had a lot momentum going into that game and it was their first sec home game of the year. So i chalked that loss up to them just being good and playing well. Which was true.... but yeah... hindsight, we were unprepared and didn't play well either.

Todd4State
04-27-2020, 10:17 PM
The craziest were the people who actually thought it was a good hire when we didn?t even interview Scott Satterfield or Neal Brown. I am glad we have Leach but it is still hard for me to understand Cohen hiring Moorhead and not even interviewing those 2. Especially Brown who was a right over in Troy

I think that was a flaw in our overall program philosophy. Our athletic department made a decision that would have been sound for MSU in 2009. But not for MSU football 2018.

I'll be honest- I thought Moorhead was a good hire at the time and I don't remember anyone at the time saying it was a bad hire either. I'm not talking MSU message boards- I'm talking national writers.

And I'll be honest again- I wasn't too alarmed by losing to Kentucky or Florida- both really good teams that year- just because it was year one and sometimes growing pains happen. Heck- Dan did the same thing a lot of years rarely beating good teams himself. And I believe people deserve a chance to fix things and learn lessons. And then after LSU- I'm not roasting any coach for losing to LSU on the road- the team did improve until the end of year. The Outback Bowl started to worry me some just because it was a cluster and it seemed to me like we went back to the things we were doing the first half of the year. Tennessee for me was the last straw. Like I said- I'll give a coach a chance to fix things but after I as a fan gave him that chance he didn't do it. And then his comments in press conferences just pissed me off- the Bob at Bogue Chitto, dragging his family into it, and then the Egg Bowl rant- it was just unprofessional.

But this goes back to having an inexperienced AD at the time who I per rumor got some bad advice and the then disconnect between MSU and the fans and the expectations for the program overall. And I think that disconnect is getting resolved based on the early returns.

NCDawg
04-28-2020, 12:45 AM

Agree. No use in rehashing it, but either Satterfield or Brown would have been a much better hire.

Maroonthirteen
04-28-2020, 07:07 AM
I hope we aren't back, in another two years, asking why we didn't hire Clark.

PGHBulldogBG
04-28-2020, 08:34 AM

I wouldn?t blame Cohen for not hiring Clark because he doesn?t have the big wins. Brown won on the road at a couple power 5 schools. Now if he hired another OC over Clark then I would?ve been irritated. Leach will either be a disaster or we will be making the playoffs. I don?t really see 7-5 much with him. I see either 3-9 or 10-2,11-1

TrapGame
04-28-2020, 08:37 AM

I remember someone on here saying Cohen was taking Loafers advice that MSU's football plan was to take coordinators and not sitting HCs. I understand that Satterfield was very interested and not even given a courtesy interview.

Ari Gold
04-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Please explain this one...

If ML is here 2 years or 22 years it’s a great hire period... no matter what happens

Ari Gold
04-28-2020, 10:17 AM
I wouldn?t blame Cohen for not hiring Clark because he doesn?t have the big wins. Brown won on the road at a couple power 5 schools. Now if he hired another OC over Clark then I would?ve been irritated. Leach will either be a disaster or we will be making the playoffs. I don?t really see 7-5 much with him. I see either 3-9 or 10-2,11-1

ML will never go 3-9 here...and odds are he won?t go 11-1..
everyone should be happy with 7-10 wins each year, a team on the field that will make other coaches dreading to play us , and a fun product to watch.. and our product will be front and center with Leach.. he is a walking media sound bite...

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2020, 10:25 AM
everyone should be happy with 7-10 wins each year, a team on the field that will make other coaches dreading to play us , and a fun product to watch.. and our product will be front and center with Leach.. he is a walking media sound bite...

If this playoff will go ahead & expand, those 10-2 years could be playoff teams.

I'd love to see us get in the playoff & matched up against teams from other conferences. Could easily see MSU being one of the last teams in the playoff one year & making a run to the final 4, where we would inevitably run into Bama, UGA, or LSU & get trucked

TrapGame
04-28-2020, 10:57 AM

I can see Leach bumping us to a perennial top 15 team. I think Leach will be the first head coach to beat Saban since Croom.