PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Stevens

BB30
04-23-2020, 02:58 PM
May have been discussed already but I have seen a few articles lately stating Tommy Stevens could be the next Taysom Hill and that he could be a potential late round draft pick.

I had no idea that he was as fast as he is. Ran a 4.49 in the 40 which was better than every other QB at the combine.

4.49 at 6'4 240 pounds should be able to help a team out in some way, shape, or form I would think.

Hope the best for him. Hate that it didn't work out better here for him. He is still a Dog in my book. Seemed like a good dude.

Ironically, while reading some of those articles I also saw where Nick Tiano is a potential post draft pick up for somebody. If I remember correctly he was at State for a while.

Captain Falcon
04-23-2020, 03:02 PM
I think he is better than he looked in Joe Mo?s offense. Not good at picking up pressure and that really hurt him, but he is quick and has a pretty good arm.

Unfortunately he will forever be linked to Moorhead so history probably will not remember him all that well.

Todd4State
04-23-2020, 03:09 PM
I think he is better than he looked in Joe Mo?s offense. Not good at picking up pressure and that really hurt him, but he is quick and has a pretty good arm.

Unfortunately he will forever be linked to Moorhead so history probably will not remember him all that well.

I agree and he played hurt most of the year. When he was healthy he looked good even though some don't want to admit it. That said I don't know about being the next Taysom Hill. I think he is athletic enough to do it but you have to wonder about his health in general.

msstate7
04-23-2020, 03:10 PM
4.49 at combine?

NCDawg
04-23-2020, 03:10 PM

Yeah,he would have probably been better off if he had gone elsewhere. Moorhead wasn't the "offensive guru" that he was reported to be.

Todd4State
04-23-2020, 03:13 PM
4.49 at combine?

Private workout.

Todd4State
04-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Yeah,he would have probably been better off if he had gone elsewhere. Moorhead wasn't the "offensive guru" that he was reported to be.

I don't know- if he couldn't stay healthy it probably didn't matter.

msstate7
04-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Private workout.

Ok, still a very nice number, but that would've been super impressive at combine

Todd4State
04-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Ok, still a very nice number, but that would've been super impressive at combine

Absolutely. And probably why it hasn't been talked about a ton.

WinningIsRelentless
04-23-2020, 03:26 PM
Do what? Did they not see how often he got hurt? Hill is one tuff mfer.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2020, 03:59 PM

Yeah I don't think Tommy can withstand the punishment either but Hill got hurt a lot more than Tommy in college. Hill had 2 broken legs, torn acl, broken foot and elbow injury. 4 of Hills 5 seasons at BYU ended with injury. Love the resiliency of Taysom and his attitude.

ETA I believe he's tougher than Tommy too.

BulldogDX55
04-23-2020, 04:13 PM
He looked great until he got hurt vs. USM and wasn't the same afterwards. Many chalked it up to him playing against tougher competition later in the year but if you just look at the passes he completed in the first 2.5 games vs all of the wide open targets he missed the rest of the season and it becomes obvious he was nowhere near 100%. Should have pulled him for Key or Garrett much earlier int he season.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2020, 04:32 PM

*whispers* Taysom Hill 4 out of his 5 years at BYU ended in season ending injuries.

Maroonthirteen
04-23-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm selling.

Dudes been "hurt" his whole college career.

I can see him running a 4.49 40 with that stride. However he isn't quick. He has straight line speed. He can't avoid the rush. Also he freaks when he gets a rush.

Don't mean to bash the guy but..... I'm starved for sports talk

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm selling.

Dudes been "hurt" his whole college career.

I can see him running a 4.49 40 with that stride. However he isn't quick. He has straight line speed. He can't avoid the rush. Also he freaks when he gets a rush.

Don't mean to bash the guy but..... I'm starved for sports talk

Well in the Taysom Hill role he's not asked to be a pocket passer so avoiding the rush wouldn't be an issue.

Maroonthirteen
04-23-2020, 04:51 PM
If Fitzgerald wasn't considered a Taysom Hill...... I'm still not buying it. Fitz had way more vision and quickness.

Cooterpoot
04-23-2020, 04:54 PM
If Fitzgerald wasn't considered a Taysom Hill...... I'm still not buying it. Fitz had way more vision and quickness.

Fitz got picked up. Damn volleyball!

ShotgunDawg
04-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Tommy is fragile & can't take a hit.

He doesn't have the durability to be a Taysom Hill type

I do think Tommy has tools though. He's the type that the XFL would be good for. 2/3 years of consistent playing time in that league & I could see him making an NFL roster

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Tommy is fragile & can't take a hit.

He doesn't have the durability to be a Taysom Hill type

I do think Tommy has tools though. He's the type that the XFL would be good for. 2/3 years of consistent playing time in that league & I could see him making an NFL roster

I'm not saying what Tommy is or isn't but Taysom Hill didn't have the durability to be a Taysom Hill type coming out of college.

Todd4State
04-23-2020, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_wteeuy8h4

While I have serious doubts about Stevens getting drafted or making the NFL mostly because of his durability- the athleticism is there. He can make throws, he can run, I believe he caught passes some at Penn State. He's a better passer than Fitzgerald was. Fitz couldn't even start for the XFL. I don't think Stevens is a starting NFL QB- but I could see someone taking a flyer on him as a free agent. The Taysom Hill athlete position is still a novelty and while if you can find a guy that can play QB/RB/WR/TE/ST that's a huge luxury for a sport with a 53 man roster I'm not sure how much value there is with that position. It would have to be a team that he luxury to do that with a pick I would think- like maybe the 49ers or someone like that.

As far as durability- I wonder how many snaps a game Hill averages with the Saints? I wouldn't be surprised if it's only like 20 or so a game all told. Stevens may be able to handle that and if Hill played more snaps a game it's possible his injury past could rear it's ugly head as well. Hard to overlook the injury history however.

R2Dawg
04-23-2020, 06:30 PM

Second that.

dawgday166
04-23-2020, 06:56 PM
Second that.

We have a quorum.