PDA

View Full Version : TWEAKS TO COLLEGE FOOTBALL RULES

Prentis
04-21-2020, 10:46 PM
"The playing rules oversight panel approved the rules change no longer requiring players to head to the locker room after targeting is confirmed."
I for one think that this is a terrible rule. I don't think it should be an automatic ejection, I think it should be based on intent.

Todd4State
04-22-2020, 01:26 AM
I don't see the point in letting them stay on the sidelines or really the benefit to it. I guess they get to skip out on the perp walk to locker room.

It's just so hard to judge intent. I mean I could intentionally target you as a football player and unless it's REALLY obvious like Ole Miss vs Nick Fitzgerald in the 2017 Egg Bowl it's typically going to be hard to judge that.

Maybe a way around it would be to call targeting and if it's obvious they could call unsportsmanlike conduct or something like that and that's the two. And then if you legitimately target on accident maybe that's you're one warning and you're done on the next personal foul.

I will say whether people agree on the targeting rule or not I do think it has done what it was mostly intended to do as far as player safety. It seems like I don't see as many targeting calls as I used to when the rule first started.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-22-2020, 06:07 AM
Any coach worth his salt would have kicked Lukes ass after that hit on Fitz.

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2020, 08:50 AM
I don't see the point in letting them stay on the sidelines or really the benefit to it. I guess they get to skip out on the perp walk to locker room.

It's just so hard to judge intent. I mean I could intentionally target you as a football player and unless it's REALLY obvious like Ole Miss vs Nick Fitzgerald in the 2017 Egg Bowl it's typically going to be hard to judge that.

Maybe a way around it would be to call targeting and if it's obvious they could call unsportsmanlike conduct or something like that and that's the two. And then if you legitimately target on accident maybe that's you're one warning and you're done on the next personal foul.

I will say whether people agree on the targeting rule or not I do think it has done what it was mostly intended to do as far as player safety. It seems like I don't see as many targeting calls as I used to when the rule first started.

We need the red/yellow card rule that soccer uses. It's a simple solution.

ShotgunDawg
04-22-2020, 08:52 AM
This was the rule change that I didn't understand. Obviously Malzahn is saying that it eliminates the Kick 6, but what's the point of this?

Guarantee that this rule will be arbitrarily applied and steal Bama a win sometime in the next few years.

I just don't get the need or point of this rule.

fader2103
04-22-2020, 08:54 AM
I don't like the idea of them staying on the sidelines either. It becomes more of a storyline for announcers that can take away from the game. The first game Gay was back and he got ejected pretty early if I remember correctly, imagine how many times the camera would have panned to him and the announcers keep bringing up that incident.

StateDawg44
04-22-2020, 10:39 AM
I don't like the idea of them staying on the sidelines either. It becomes more of a storyline for announcers that can take away from the game. The first game Gay was back and he got ejected pretty early if I remember correctly, imagine how many times the camera would have panned to him and the announcers keep bringing up that incident.

Camera 1 pans to Willie:

Announcer 1: "Just makes you wonder how things may have gone differently for MSU if that young man wouldn't have been so careless."

Announcer 2: "Yeah, totally agree. MSU should've had this game easily and their defensive leader chose to get ejected."

Announcer 1: Continues beat down of player and team...

Over and over and over. Gary Danielson is going to have a hay day with this. (Except for Bama players)