PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dak ....you need to sign whatever is on the table

Ezsoil
04-21-2020, 12:18 PM
the future is unknown...you had better get whatever signing bonus you can get.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Dak needs to keep doing what he's been doing. That pay day is coming.

Pipedream
04-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Dak needs to keep doing what he's been doing. That pay day is coming.

The way the Cowboys have screwed this up, if I'm him and his agents, I'm not looking at an offer that doesn't start with a 4 in front of the AAV. I'm a Cowboys fan and have been since the early 90's, but Jerry cost himself at least $50M and maybe more by waiting Dak out. He could have signed him last offseason at $25M/year. Going to be a lot more than that now.

FISHDAWG
04-21-2020, 01:24 PM
The way the Cowboys have screwed this up, if I'm him and his agents, I'm not looking at an offer that doesn't start with a 4 in front of the AAV. I'm a Cowboys fan and have been since the early 90's, but Jerry cost himself at least $50M and maybe more by waiting Dak out. He could have signed him last offseason at $25M/year. Going to be a lot more than that now.

you think a billionaire doesn't know what he's doing ?

KOdawg1
04-21-2020, 01:29 PM

Most billionaires do. Jerry Jones doesn't.

fishwater99
04-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Get all the guaranteed money you can.

Lord McBuckethead
04-21-2020, 02:34 PM
Jerry should have signed him prior to the end of the 2018 season. it would have pushed his renegotiation past the 2022 season and he would have saved money, ensured his long term cap space, and made Dak happy.

AROB44
04-21-2020, 02:57 PM
I just hope Dak (or his agent) hasn't out smarted himself.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2020, 02:59 PM

They haven't

BulldogDX55
04-21-2020, 03:01 PM
the future is unknown...you had better get whatever signing bonus you can get.

We don't know what is on the table. Jerruh is notorious for leaking incomplete deal details to the press in order to turn public pressure onto the athlete. We've heard many deals leaked over the last two years or so and not a single one have included all of yearly, year by year structure, total value, bonuses, guaranteed money, and length. The only thing we've heard leak out are yearly salaries when that's not even half of the equation - and apparently the main sticking point is that Dak wants 4 years so he can renegotiate sooner after Mahomes breaks the market while Jerruh wants 5+.

Cooterpoot
04-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Dallas is about to pay him top money. Look for it to be done after the draft.

RiverCityDawg
04-21-2020, 03:17 PM

You think billionaires are immune to bad decisions?

Commercecomet24
04-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Dallas is about to pay him top money. Look for it to be done after the draft.

Yeah it's coming. Dak bout to get paid.

Dawgology
04-21-2020, 03:32 PM
Yeah it's coming. Dak bout to get paid.

Yep. They refused to give him the 35 million and 4 year deal he was asking for so now they tag him and it's 31.4 million a year with a guaranteed 20% raise next year or 44% raise after two year? Meaning he will be 100% in the drivers seat and either way they will pay him 69.08 millions over two with another big pay bump in year three (something like 54 million per year?)

Jerry kind of screwed himself.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2020, 03:48 PM
Yep. They refused to give him the 35 million and 4 year deal he was asking for so now they tag him and it's 31.4 million a year with a guaranteed 20% raise next year or 44% raise after two year? Meaning he will be 100% in the drivers seat and either way they will pay him 69.08 millions over two with another big pay bump in year three (something like 54 million per year?)

Dak bet on himself and won. I admire Dak more and more. Took a lot of confidence to do what he did but it proved why he's the winner that he is.

thf24
04-21-2020, 04:04 PM

In oil and gas? Absolutely he does. He didn't make his fortune off the Dallas Cowboys.

viverlibre
04-21-2020, 08:47 PM
What fans don't realize is that Jerry is not desperate to win a SB, he has three. The Cowboys are one of the most popular and profitable properties in all of professional sports, in spite of not challenging for a NFL championship in almost 15 years. Jerry does what he wants, not caring what anyone thinks. Jerry not only has "F you" money, he has "F me" money.

Cowbell
04-21-2020, 10:22 PM
What fans don't realize is that Jerry is not desperate to win a SB, he has three. The Cowboys are one of the most popular and profitable properties in all of professional sports, in spite of not challenging for a NFL championship in almost 15 years. Jerry does what he wants, not caring what anyone thinks. Jerry not only has "F you" money, he has "F me" money.

Your first sentence is way off target. The man is more desperate to win a SB than anyone out there and he knows his days are numbered.

Ezsoil
04-22-2020, 12:23 AM

If Dak goes that route without a long term deal, an injury or a poor season could end his career....I don't think people realize the effect that this shutdown will have on revenue streams going forward. Teams won't have the same kind of money as I can tell you that advertising revenue is going to be forever changed.....my daughter is a senior officer at one of the big three phone carriers and they are completely restructuring how they market and spend money.... I can tell you that the days of sponsorships, celebrity endorsements, and give aways are numbered. Every expenditure will be data driven. Very few people realize what all information you have given away when you accept the terms of service for facebook, you phone, or your free email account. Usage data merged with facial recognition will allow for immediate targeted advertising.... it will simply blow your mind what they know.

MStateDawg
04-22-2020, 06:17 AM
In oil and gas? Absolutely he does. He didn't make his fortune off the Dallas Cowboys.

He?s been quoted as saying that when he bought the Cowboys for $140 million, that it was nearly all the money he had. So yes, he got rich off oil leases, but he became a billionaire because of the business of the Dallas Cowboys and the explosion in NFL television revenue (a lot of which he helped spearhead). He currently has an estimated net worth of around 8 billion, which honestly I think is a low estimate. If the Cowboys were put up for sale today, that franchise would easily sell for $10 billion. So the bulk of his fortune is actually tied to the Dallas Cowboys.

StateDawg44
04-22-2020, 06:55 AM
He?s been quoted as saying that when he bought the Cowboys for $140 million, that it was nearly all the money he had. So yes, he got rich off oil leases, but he became a billionaire because of the business of the Dallas Cowboys and the explosion in NFL television revenue (a lot of which he helped spearhead). He currently has an estimated net worth of around 8 billion, which honestly I think is a low estimate. If the Cowboys were put up for sale today, that franchise would easily sell for $10 billion. So the bulk of his fortune is actually tied to the Dallas Cowboys.

10 billion???

FISHDAWG
04-22-2020, 07:04 AM
You think billionaires are immune to bad decisions?

you think Jerry doesn't know what he's doing ? .... How many Superbowl rings does Jerry have ??? ..... everyone makes bad decisions but this is a chess match and he has been in this business for a long time and knows a lot more about this business than you or me

thf24
04-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Fair enough, but I'd argue it's harder not to make money off a brand like the Cowboys. He certainly hasn't run them into the ground by any means, but if meeting or beating expectations more often than not was directly tied to the financial success of the organization, I don't think it's a stretch to argue he wouldn't have made nearly as much money.

Matt3467
04-22-2020, 10:00 AM

I read an article that the franchise tag on Prescott would be between 33 and 34 million - https://nypost.com/2020/03/16/dak-prescott-gets-exclusive-franchise-tag-from-cowboys-ahead-of-nfl-free-agency/

I think Dak deserves a great deal, but although I'm not privy to the exact details of his offers it appears that he wants more than 34 million a year.

- Russell Wilson/35 million
- Ben Roethlisberger/ 34 million
- Aaron Rodgers tied with Jared Goff/ 33.5 million
- Kirk Cousins/33 million
- Carson Wentz/ 32 million

Those are the highest paid QBs currently. Jared Goff is sort of a head scratcher but he did take his team to a SB although they lost that's quite an achievement. Dak is not close to Rodgers, Big Ben, or Wilson but I'd be fine with a deal around the 33.5 million mark since Goff is there as well.

schddog72
04-22-2020, 10:06 AM

This is purely my own personal opinion, but I think Dak is getting some bad advice and it is coming across as a bad case of terminal greed. I think he's overplaying his hand. He could end up making a lot of money but with a really bad team.

Nobody is irreplaceable and Dak is not endearing himself to the Cowboys fan base with these protracted negotiations and his recently highly publicized non-football activities.

Having said all this, the old saying of "To thine own self be true" still applies. Hopefully Dak still has his head screwed on straight and it hasn't gotten too big for his shoulders . . . .

BeardoMSU
04-22-2020, 10:08 AM
I read an article that the franchise tag on Prescott would be between 33 and 34 million - https://nypost.com/2020/03/16/dak-prescott-gets-exclusive-franchise-tag-from-cowboys-ahead-of-nfl-free-agency/

I think Dak deserves a great deal, but although I'm not privy to the exact details of his offers it appears that he wants more than 34 million a year.

Those are the highest paid QBs currently. Jared Goff is sort of a head scratcher but he did take his team to a SB although they lost that's quite an achievement. Dak is not close to Rodgers, Big Ben, or Wilson but I'd be fine with a deal around the 33.5 million mark since Goff is there as well.

He won't get less than 35 a year. The sticking point is number of years, not the $$ amount, as that kinda is what it is considering the new cap and his place in line.

Tbonewannabe
04-23-2020, 09:47 AM

I think Jerry has been pushing for a 5 -8 year deal so Dak has countered with a big number. I think Dak is looking for around $35 Mil for 4 years and then he gets a new deal at the higher price. Jerry wants to lock him in for his prime at the low dollar amount now before Mahomes pushes up the QB salaries.

Notice that all Dak has said is there is more to a contract than the dollar amount. Jerry has leaked $$$ but not years.

BeardoMSU
04-23-2020, 09:55 AM
I think Jerry has been pushing for a 5 -8 year deal so Dak has countered with a big number. I think Dak is looking for around $35 Mil for 4 years and then he gets a new deal at the higher price. Jerry wants to lock him in for his prime at the low dollar amount now before Mahomes pushes up the QB salaries.

Notice that all Dak has said is there is more to a contract than the dollar amount. Jerry has leaked $$$ but not years.

I believe players aren't allowed to talk contract details during negotiations...yet the teams can leak whatever bullshit they want to curry favor with the public. Jerry has leaked the average yearly salary numbers, but 2 important caveats are always absent.....guaranteed money at signing and the number of years.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2020, 09:57 AM
I believe players aren't allowed to talk contract details during negotiations...yet the teams can leak whatever bullshit they want to curry favor with the public. Jerry has leaked the average yearly salary numbers, but 2 important caveats are always absent.....guaranteed money at signing and the number of years.

This, and the only thing that really counts is the guaranteed money.

Dawgology
04-23-2020, 10:04 AM

This appears to be the case. Dak wants a 4 year deal but Jerry wants an 8 year deal (like he did with Zeke).

RiverCityDawg
04-23-2020, 10:14 AM
you think Jerry doesn't know what he's doing ? .... How many Superbowl rings does Jerry have ??? ..... everyone makes bad decisions but this is a chess match and he has been in this business for a long time and knows a lot more about this business than you or me

I'm simply saying what you seem to be admitting here - that everyone can make mistakes, including billionaire Jerry Jones. You originally said "you don't think Jerry knows what he's doing?" in direct response to someone saying Jerry was making a mistake with the way he was handling the Dak situation. It seemed you were implying Jerry was infallible and certainly handling the Dak situation the best way possible because he's a billionaire. My point is those things aren't directly correlated, and people that have followed the Cowboys since he bought the team can give you a lengthy list of evidence. Heck, Jerry could probably do the same.

He certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to building a brand, that's for sure.

FISHDAWG
04-23-2020, 10:56 AM
I'm simply saying what you seem to be admitting here - that everyone can make mistakes, including billionaire Jerry Jones. You originally said "you don't think Jerry knows what he's doing?" in direct response to someone saying Jerry was making a mistake with the way he was handling the Dak situation. It seemed you were implying Jerry was infallible and certainly handling the Dak situation the best way possible because he's a billionaire. My point is those things aren't directly correlated, and people that have followed the Cowboys since he bought the team can give you a lengthy list of evidence. Heck, Jerry could probably do the same.

He certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to building a brand, that's for sure.

Who is to say he's actually making a mistake ? ... This thing is still playing out.... Sorry for the misunderstanding - didn't mean to imply he's infallible or that he's definitely right on this ... I'm saying he has way way more experience in these matters than anyone else on this board and that Billionaires usually aren't dumb. I simply believe Jerry knows more about what he's doing than some poster on a message board does. He very well might ultimately make a mistake but that's the nature of head games - and if I had to bet - I would place the money on Jerry and not someone who's not in the business claiming he's screwing up

Dawg2003
04-23-2020, 11:20 AM
This is purely my own personal opinion, but I think Dak is getting some bad advice and it is coming across as a bad case of terminal greed. I think he's overplaying his hand. He could end up making a lot of money but with a really bad team.

Nobody is irreplaceable and Dak is not endearing himself to the Cowboys fan base with these protracted negotiations and his recently highly publicized non-football activities.

Having said all this, the old saying of "To thine own self be true" still applies. Hopefully Dak still has his head screwed on straight and it hasn't gotten too big for his shoulders . . . .

I pretty much feel the same way. I love Dak, but I hope he hasn't drunk his own Kool-aid. I hope it all works out for him, but you only have a limited time to play in the NFL. Might be best to take what Dallas is offering.