PDA

View Full Version : David Johnson

smootness
04-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Has anyone heard any updates on his condition recently? They said he was still in critical condition over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen anything since. Hoping things have improved.

Liverpooldawg
04-20-2020, 01:39 PM
I saw something over the weekend. He was off the vent but was still in pretty tough shape. I think he was on the vent for nearly three weeks.

Turfdawg67
04-20-2020, 01:54 PM
I believe I read that at one point he had a 5% chance and now he's off the ventilator. Pretty awesome.

confucius say
04-20-2020, 02:07 PM
He is doing much better. I would not say 💯 out of the woods, but certainly leaning that way

Dawg2003
04-20-2020, 03:35 PM
One thing I have worried about is people having permanent lung damage from COVID. Amazing that he is off the vent though.

WinningIsRelentless
04-20-2020, 04:01 PM
One thing I have worried about is people having permanent lung damage from COVID. Amazing that he is off the vent though.

Like 90% of covid-19 pts that go on a vent and make it are losing 30 to 40% lung capacity.

Lord McBuckethead
04-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Dang. That is a terrible stat. Where did you read that? I know there have been mentions here and there about reduced lung capacity, but I haven't seen real numbers.

Good for David, I don't know him personally, but I have been praying for him and his caregivers.

Dawg2003
04-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Like 90% of covid-19 pts that go on a vent and make it are losing 30 to 40% lung capacity.

Can you gain that back, or is it permanent?

Cooterpoot
04-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Can you gain that back, or is it permanent?

It's permanent. When they're pulling the fluid from your lungs, lung tissue leaves with it. It's like your lungs melt. Also, they're having a time with blood pressure and sepsis. People are losing fingers and toes and in some cases limbs too.

Dawg2003
04-20-2020, 05:45 PM
It's permanent. When they're pulling the fluid from your lungs, lung tissue leaves with it. It's like your lungs melt. Also, they're having a time with blood pressure and sepsis. People are losing fingers and toes and in some cases limbs too.

Yikes, I didn't realize that happened with the lung tissue.

chef dixon
04-20-2020, 06:12 PM
Yikes, I didn't realize that happened with the lung tissue.

It's likely due to tissue scarring from the inflammation in the lungs due to the virus. I think it's probably a little early to know how many patients are going to recover lung function and to what extent. That type of thing takes time to watch. Of course every patient is going to be different and starting from a different baseline.

For David Johnson, I know at one point he had to go on dialysis which is common in the critically ill. Hopefully his kidneys will recover which can be hit or miss in a situation like that. Great news that he's off the ventilator and out of the ICU. Definitely a long road ahead but he's made some of the biggest steps already.

PMDawg
04-21-2020, 11:19 AM

They are also leaving the hospital with liver and kidney issues that will stay with them forever as well. Many also develop heart failure as a result of having the disease. The people that are saying this is overblown aren't really paying attention.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-21-2020, 11:24 AM
There seems to be a genetic disposition that plays a role on how the virus reacts... also Type A blood types seem to more at risk.

smootness
04-21-2020, 03:24 PM
He is doing much better. I would not say �� out of the woods, but certainly leaning that way

That's awesome, good to hear

ScottH
04-21-2020, 05:52 PM
There seems to be a genetic disposition that plays a role on how the virus reacts... also Type A blood types seem to more at risk.

That's interesting. It will give me a project for tonight's reading time..

The range of symptoms and outcomes almost look like multiple diseases.