PDA

View Full Version : Last Dance

KOdawg1
04-19-2020, 10:11 PM
ESPN documentary on the Bulls 1997-98 season premiered the first two episodes tonight. Good stuff. In case you needed a reminder, MJ was, is, and will always be the greatest to ever do it.

Maroonthirteen
04-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Yeah I don't really remember his first few years. It was nice to look back tonight and be remind how special he was. He carried that franchise on his back those first few years.

basedog
04-19-2020, 10:28 PM
ESPN documentary on the Bulls 1997-98 season premiered the first two episodes tonight. Good stuff. In case you needed a reminder, MJ was, is, and will always be the greatest to ever do it.

Big +1. MJ was once in a lifetime player. Had no weakness.

smootness
04-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Big +1. MJ was once in a lifetime player. Had no weakness.

He had one when he was drafted - jump shooting. Turned it into his biggest strength. Unbelievable.

dantheman4248
04-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Wasn't expecting the each person gets an episode format. But I could watch 50+ hours of this and not get bored. Amazing that the best basketball team ever went full Major League with having the executive punching bag to rally against.

KOdawg1
04-19-2020, 10:40 PM
He had one when he was drafted - jump shooting. Turned it into his biggest strength. Unbelievable.

Many have said he's one of the best shooters of all time. He's not necessarily remembered for that, but MJ could fill it up. Like you said, unbelievable how great he was.

confucius say
04-19-2020, 11:00 PM
Imagine if Twitter was a thing then. Krause had the most dominant team in sports and the best player in history in the midst of a 3-peat and comes out before the 97-98 season and says this is it for Phil and this nucleus. Hell they prob could have won two more if Krause kept them all together.

dantheman4248
04-19-2020, 11:19 PM
Imagine if Twitter was a thing then. Krause had the most dominant team in sports and the best player in history in the midst of a 3-peat and comes out before the 97-98 season and says this is it for Phil and this nucleus. Hell they prob could have won two more if Krause kept them all together.

It's the biggest NBA whatif and changes the makeup of the league exponentially. Kobe-Shaq w/ Phil never happens. Bulls win 2-3 more rings in a row before hanging it up. Spurs become respected more as a formidable dynasty early as they'd run roughshod through the league w/ no Lakers in their way. Crazy.

basedog
04-20-2020, 07:18 AM

Good point but I wouldn't call his pre NBA jumper a weakness, he did improve beyond anyone's imagination except MJ. He was the most relentless athlete on the planet. Just Mr Clutch.

Can't wait to see the rest of the series. I have to laugh about MJ seeing Krause taking his meds and saying "is that what makes you short or is it your diet pills"? LOL

smootness
04-20-2020, 10:05 AM
Good point but I wouldn't call his pre NBA jumper a weakness, he did improve beyond anyone's imagination except MJ. He was the most relentless athlete on the planet. Just Mr Clutch.

"Years later, Phil Jackson, the coach who witnessed Jordan leverage his maniacal work ethic to transform from a rim-attacking leaper into one of history's most important jump-shooters, said: "The weakest part of Michael's game on the offensive end was his shooting, so he obviously mastered something that everybody said he couldn't do when he came out of college. And he did it by shooting, shooting, shooting, shooting consistently."

And from Rod Thorn, the Bulls GM who drafted him in 84: "Back then, the knock on Michael was that he couldn't shoot the ball," Thorn recalled. "For a long time, that first season, he just drove the ball to the basket and he didn't need a shot. But Michael was so smart, he learned from taking some mighty licks. So he said, 'I gotta get a jump shot,' and he got one. But when we looked at him for the draft, he was 195 pounds and 6-6, so he was kind of thin. So the biggest thing about him was, can he make a shot? We wondered what kind of shooter he'd be."

His jump shot was absolutely his biggest weakness when he was drafted. He had thrived in college primarily on athleticism alone. By the end of his career, he was the best player in the league primarily because of his jump shot. Just an incredible transformation.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-20-2020, 10:14 AM
..... MJ was, is, and will always be the greatest to ever do it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohuPic214xK3U6ag8/giphy.gif

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-20-2020, 10:16 AM
I had forgotten how bad Scottie Pippen got screwed over. He shouldn't have signed that long term deal but damn something should have been done to help him

R2Dawg
04-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Been looking forward to that series. It was great. MJ is the best to ever play the game and it ain't close. He is best competitor of any sport on top of that.

If he had not retired in middle of career and PJ had stayed, they may have won 10 straight.

R2Dawg
04-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Many have said he's one of the best shooters of all time. He's not necessarily remembered for that, but MJ could fill it up. Like you said, unbelievable how great he was.

Last half of his career his jump shot and in particular the fade away jumper was as unstoppable as his drive to the rim early in career.

His total game is also what made him great from D player of the year to rebounding. 5 players in NBA history have scored 2000pts and 200 steals in a season. MJ did it 6 times. Only player to score over 50 in 3 different decades.

basedog
04-20-2020, 11:33 AM
"Years later, Phil Jackson, the coach who witnessed Jordan leverage his maniacal work ethic to transform from a rim-attacking leaper into one of history's most important jump-shooters, said: "The weakest part of Michael's game on the offensive end was his shooting, so he obviously mastered something that everybody said he couldn't do when he came out of college. And he did it by shooting, shooting, shooting, shooting consistently."

And from Rod Thorn, the Bulls GM who drafted him in 84: "Back then, the knock on Michael was that he couldn't shoot the ball," Thorn recalled. "For a long time, that first season, he just drove the ball to the basket and he didn't need a shot. But Michael was so smart, he learned from taking some mighty licks. So he said, 'I gotta get a jump shot,' and he got one. But when we looked at him for the draft, he was 195 pounds and 6-6, so he was kind of thin. So the biggest thing about him was, can he make a shot? We wondered what kind of shooter he'd be."

His jump shot was absolutely his biggest weakness when he was drafted. He had thrived in college primarily on athleticism alone. By the end of his career, he was the best player in the league primarily because of his jump shot. Just an incredible transformation.

Ok You Win, LOL, nice research.

R2Dawg
04-20-2020, 11:45 AM

Agree with comments for the most part. Let's put some perspective. Every player has a weakness and these are highlighted in draft evaluations and I agree relatively speaking it was his weakness. However, he did have a nice midrange jumper in college; he didn't have great range. Dean Smith drew up the play that gave him the chance to sink the NC winner remember? I also saw a lot of jumpers go down for him in college. It wasn't his bread and butter like it became later.

basedog
04-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Agree with comments for the most part. Let's put some perspective. Every player has a weakness and these are highlighted in draft evaluations and I agree relatively speaking it was his weakness. However, he did have a nice midrange jumper in college; he didn't have great range. Dean Smith drew up the play that gave him the chance to sink the NC winner remember? I also saw a lot of jumpers go down for him in college. It wasn't his bread and butter like it became later.

Actually the shot MJ took in the Georgetown game was suppose to have gone to Worthy.

smootness
04-20-2020, 01:03 PM

I'm not disagreeing, and everything is relative. My biggest strength would be an incredible weakness for a pro. But it was his biggest weakness and it became an even bigger asset than his biggest strengths. It's just a testament to his work ethic and drive to be the best in everything he did.

R2Dawg
04-20-2020, 05:26 PM
I'm not disagreeing, and everything is relative. My biggest strength would be an incredible weakness for a pro. But it was his biggest weakness and it became an even bigger asset than his biggest strengths. It's just a testament to his work ethic and drive to be the best in everything he did.

We agree, some just take the weakness comments as he couldn't shoot at all which is not true. As I said previously, most competitive athlete ever in any sport. He was relentless.

Jordan in his prime and I got first pick; ain't nowhere else I'm going.