PDA

View Full Version : After rewatching Egg Bowl, some player observations

R2Dawg
04-19-2020, 01:07 PM
We have some players on D that I think can be stars.

T.Williams - he is pretty talented, good tackler. He has a chance to be the next great CB at MSU

F.Peters - he is the next big hitter at safety. He can be a great DOG safety. He made a few plays on special teams, wow.

M.Spencer has the potential to have a Preston Smith type senior year

Pickering can be the next big DL MSU player.

Thompson at LB played to his potential in the egg bowl. He was flying around and bringing the wood. He can have a monster senior year.

On O several key players
Shrader could be a real weapon somewhere, maybe WR.

J Payton is talented if we can find out where to use him

Hill coming back is huge for team and CML. Made the transition year a lot easier.

Some key losses

Gay - he is a difference maker, wish he would have come back.

Lovett is gonna be a good DL, hate he didn't have the attitude to stay.

Probably a few others I am missing but just a few players that popped in my head after rewatching egg bowl.

Maroonthirteen
04-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Maybe a few more weeks of quarantine and I'll be bored enough to watch it again. OM just wanted to give the game away more than we did.

Serious you gave me a reason to rewatch.

Todd4State
04-20-2020, 02:30 AM
Maybe a few more weeks of quarantine and I'll be bored enough to watch it again. OM just wanted to give the game away more than we did.

Ole Miss angered the Indians buried beneath Scott Field by pretending to pee on their burial ground.

Maroonthirteen
04-20-2020, 06:52 AM
We now know the burial grounds strongest power against Rebels reside in that north endzone.

Hey Bulldogs, if you must give up a 4th and fn 25 ..... make sure the opponent is heading north.

Choctaw Dawg
04-20-2020, 12:53 PM
We now know the burial grounds strongest power reside in that north endzone.

Hey Bulldogs, if you must give up a 4th and fn 25 ..... make sure the opponent is heading north.

We pissed the Indians off enough in 2009 when we got stopped a ****ing inch short against the tigers on the south end. Injuns were mad at us that day

Todd4State
04-20-2020, 12:56 PM
We pissed the Indians off enough in 2009 when we got stopped a ****ing inch short against the tigers on the south end. Injuns were mad at us that day

I blame Dan for that. Should have just called a dive play or something to Dixon no question.

Maroonthirteen
04-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Two other games off the top of my head, we lost last play of the game in the south endZone.

However we got the winning points vs UT 94 in that direction.

R2Dawg
04-20-2020, 05:21 PM

Boy that is true. Dan outsmarted himself. You got the SEC and all time MSU rusher in your backfield and you try a trick play?? That one play would have got us to a bowl and would have been 11 straight.

Sienfield
04-20-2020, 05:50 PM
They way I remember it is that Dixon already tried twice to run it in and got stopped at the line both times. The pass play would have been a good play but that LSU defensive guy made a great play to knock it down.

Turfdawg67
04-20-2020, 06:06 PM

We really dominated that game at times. Until I rewatched it, I forgot we were up 14-0 and Gibson was running all over them. Then we stopped running him...

Turfdawg67
04-20-2020, 06:10 PM
They way I remember it is that Dixon already tried twice to run it in and got stopped at the line both times. The pass play would have been a good play but that LSU defensive guy made a great play to knock it down.

Strictly memory, and heavily hampered by years of Bud Light, but I recall we tried the Tebow jump pass, Dixon running and then two passes.

MaroonFlounder
04-20-2020, 07:32 PM
Strictly memory, and heavily hampered by years of Bud Light, but I recall we tried the Tebow jump pass, Dixon running and then two passes.

No, the 4th down play was an option to the left, if Tyson pitches it, I think Boobie makes it in, but he saw a crease and tried to lower his head and score. He got stuffed just short of the goal line.

State82
04-20-2020, 09:32 PM
Two other games off the top of my head, we lost last play of the game in the south endZone.

However we got the winning points vs UT 94 in that direction.

This brings up an interesting conversation. South endzone or north endzone? UM fumbled into the north endzone in OT in 2015. The LSU game that they bitch about so much when, I think Rod Gibson, scored in the north endzone at the end of the game. Corndogs bitched that he didn't get in, cry me a 17ing river. However, the kick/pick UM game was won by the FG in the south endzone. Can't remember about the Dana Moore FG for the win in 1982 against LSU under the temporary lights but pretty sure it was in the south endzone. Anybody else got documentation?

Maroonthirteen
04-20-2020, 09:37 PM
I believe you're right on all that. Except I thought 82 LSU was to the north. But I was a little kid.

How could I forget 99. CJ scores and the winning FG was to the south.

Artie Cosby kicked a 54 yarder to beat Memphis State to the south.

State82
04-20-2020, 10:17 PM
I believe you're right on all that. Except I thought 82 LSU was to the north. But I was a little kid.

How could I forget 99. CJ scores and the winning FG was to the south.

Artie Cosby kicked a 54 yarder to beat Memphis State to the south.

1982 FG to beat LSU could have very well been to the north. I was there but very doubtful that I was completely sober. I do not recall. Also, 1998 win against Arky to keep our Western division hopes alive and then clinch the next week at UM? Not sure which endzone held the win against the Hogs.

Todd4State
04-20-2020, 11:09 PM
We really dominated that game at times. Until I rewatched it, I forgot we were up 14-0 and Gibson was running all over them. Then we stopped running him...

One of the biggest problems Moorhead had with his offense that no one talks about is how he basically limited production on the roster because he always stuck to his "top five players" philosophy. Really it was top three WR's, top TE, and top RB unless anyone with a brain doesn't think that Aeris Williams was one of our "top five" offensive players in 2018. That's an issue with our WR's in 2018 and 2019 because he forced us to rely more on a weakness and less on a strength (our RB's). Same thing with Gibson in 2019. It also caused us to underutilize players like Javonta Payton and Dontae Jones who impressed me at times and probably should have played more.

1982 FG to beat LSU could have very well been to the north. I was there but very doubtful that I was completely sober. I do not recall. Also, 1998 win against Arky to keep our Western division hopes alive and then clinch the next week at UM? Not sure which endzone held the win against the Hogs.

The 1982 LSU win- I'm not sure but I know there is video of the game on youtube.

1998 Arkansas- the game winning FG was to the south.

Todd4State
04-20-2020, 11:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSywtn-hM_8

Long video but the kick in question is at the 42 minute mark. I believe that's the south end zone? I know they brought in bleachers and the Leo Seal M-Club Building wasn't built until a few years later.

Also- Al Michaels and Dan Dierdorf called this game? Assuming pre MNF.

Drewbowski
04-21-2020, 03:35 AM
I remember Dixon getting stuffed twice then we ran an option that Tyson Lee misread and kept intead of pitching to Dixon to walk in.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
04-21-2020, 09:37 PM
It was the south end zone for the win against the Hogs.

Coach34
04-22-2020, 12:05 AM
Marquis Spencer is a good college DE and is strong against the run. He, however, is nothing close to Preston Smith and cannot rush the passer very well. Spencer will be lucky to make to an NFL roster.

We will not be very good on D in 2020. This is a fact many of you will learn just as I told you about the big drop we would have in 2019 that many of you insisted wouldnt happen.

R2Dawg
04-22-2020, 12:23 PM
Marquis Spencer is a good college DE and is strong against the run. He, however, is nothing close to Preston Smith and cannot rush the passer very well. Spencer will be lucky to make to an NFL roster.

We will not be very good on D in 2020. This is a fact many of you will learn just as I told you about the big drop we would have in 2019 that many of you insisted wouldnt happen.

We'll I never said we were going to be great on D. We were not good last year and we lost talent. Point of my post is there is potential not that we are going to be great on D. I don't have to learn anything to see what talent we have or don't. My observation was based on one game - egg bowl. A game where our team seem to come out with good effort. That is where I see potential. Bowl game was a joke.

Spencer, agree he is better in run support but again he rushed and got to QB in egg bowl as good as Preston did his junior year. Preston went from meh to NFL in one year. Will Spencer do it? Don't know but he has the potential if he works hard and gets his head on right. Now he doesn't have the help Preston did which will probably hurt him.