PDA

View Full Version : Travel Baseball and Pandemic

GeoDawg
04-19-2020, 11:57 AM
I have a 13 year old that has been playing travel baseball since he was 7. He loves it.

Apparently one of the Tournament Associations is considering restarting around Mother's Day. My son's Travel ball coach sent out a question to the parents asking how comfortable we would be starting back up then. So far only a couple of parents have responded but both thought it would be to soon. I haven't responded but would be very concerned about starting back then and have a lot of questions that I would need answered before I would be comfortable playing.

If it were you, what would be your thoughts?

msstate7
04-19-2020, 12:00 PM
TBD. Mother's Day is over 20 days away, and a lot can change in that long, good or bad

Cooterpoot
04-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Going to be hard to do travel ball this summer. I wouldn't expect it. You just can't have people from all over in one place like that. If summer school isn't happening, travel ball really shouldn't either. But, we'll see. Cases are going to increase a lot when things start opening up.

Todd4State
04-19-2020, 03:02 PM
The way I look at it you have a 99% chance of surviving if you get it. If you like those odds and are under 65 and don't have a ton of health issues I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Todd4State
04-19-2020, 03:03 PM
But I agree that they probably won't play travel baseball. Depends on what phase the state is in too.

gtowndawg
04-19-2020, 04:17 PM
The way I look at it you have a 99% chance of surviving if you get it. If you like those odds and are under 65 and don't have a ton of health issues I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Right there with you...

confucius say
04-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Going to be hard to do travel ball this summer. I wouldn't expect it. You just can't have people from all over in one place like that. If summer school isn't happening, travel ball really shouldn't either. But, we'll see. Cases are going to increase a lot when things start opening up.

What do you make of the imhe model, and similar models, that are saying deaths in MS end in mid to late May and stay at zero moving forward? I'm guessing those models account for us opening back up by at least late May.

Lord McBuckethead
04-19-2020, 04:28 PM
TBD. Mother's Day is over 20 days away, and a lot can change in that long, good or bad

No. Nothing is going to change in 20 days. Yes the overall numbers may go down, but they also have a very good chance of going up if people stop self isolating.

Jesus, is there an issue with people understanding basic science. This pandemic is not going to end until there is a vaccine or we have herd immunization through over 95% of our population having the virus and surviving it. The only thing that is going to change over the next 20 days is the calendar.

I mean this is a very basic concept. It's not that hard people. Unless you absolutely have to go out and be around people, you should do your duty and stay home and away from other people.

Also note, there have been very serious conversations that student will not be returning to school in August. Anyone saying any different just refuses to see the situation that the entire world is in.

Hell, i hope the have a vaccine by the end of the year, but history clearly states that vaccine timelines are measured in years, not in months.

Lord McBuckethead
04-19-2020, 04:31 PM

Right there with you...

What do you make of the imhe model, and similar models, that are saying deaths in MS end in mid to late May and stay at zero moving forward? I'm guessing those models account for us opening back up by at least late May.

Yep, you may have a 99% chance of surviving it, but the random old guy or you parents you meet up with may not. I would have to see the models you mentioned prior to commenting on it. I do know this, if people return to normal in Mississippi, the numbers will go up and deaths.

confucius say
04-19-2020, 04:37 PM
Yep, you may have a 99% chance of surviving it, but the random old guy or you parents you meet up with may not. I would have to see the models you mentioned prior to commenting on it. I do know this, if people return to normal in Mississippi, the numbers will go up and deaths.

Here you go. You can select any state or select the entire country. It has the cases and deaths going away by June.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/mississippi

msstate7
04-19-2020, 05:09 PM
No. Nothing is going to change in 20 days. Yes the overall numbers may go down, but they also have a very good chance of going up if people stop self isolating.

Jesus, is there an issue with people understanding basic science. This pandemic is not going to end until there is a vaccine or we have herd immunization through over 95% of our population having the virus and surviving it. The only thing that is going to change over the next 20 days is the calendar.

I mean this is a very basic concept. It's not that hard people. Unless you absolutely have to go out and be around people, you should do your duty and stay home and away from other people.

Also note, there have been very serious conversations that student will not be returning to school in August. Anyone saying any different just refuses to see the situation that the entire world is in.

Hell, i hope the have a vaccine by the end of the year, but history clearly states that vaccine timelines are measured in years, not in months.

So you think we should just lock down for 2 years or so? Here's the projection for Mother's Day BTW for the whole country

https://i.postimg.cc/xCvqF0yM/9930307-F-988-E-4-FDF-8173-58-FCEA37-D8-A7.png (https://postimg.cc/VrNYJPhk)

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Looks like the experts (not as informed as you obviously) expect some pretty big changes in 20 days

Todd4State
04-19-2020, 05:14 PM

That's why I wrote the part about over 65 with multiple health issues.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-19-2020, 05:30 PM

Well in that case, lets shut it down. Furlough all non essential Federal, State and local employees until we get a vaccine. Close all schools, universities, parks, beaches, courthouses, agencies etc... if they are not directly protecting our safety(military, police, fire, sanitation, healthcare) send them home and let them file for unemployment....a lot of opinions would change.

Ezsoil
04-19-2020, 05:39 PM

Welp that's it .....we should never leave our houses ever....that way we won't ever get this virus or any other transmitted disease... we won't have traffic fatalities, life will be perfect without any needless loss of life...

AmiteDog
04-19-2020, 05:45 PM

Stop being so dramatic. This flu is almost gone

Ari Gold
04-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Prob best not to play.
Not because of the virus but because these “coaches “ and dads ...
Prob why there are so many TJ surgeries.. look for further than travel ball..
10-11 year olds that play almost as many games as minor league teams..

Todd4State
04-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Prob best not to play.
Not because of the virus but because these “coaches “ and dads ...
Prob why there are so many TJ surgeries.. look for further than travel ball..
10-11 year olds that play almost as many games as minor league teams..

That's another epidemic.

Irondawg
04-19-2020, 06:15 PM
There just isn’t going to be enough consensus which is going to make it hard even if it proves to not be heat tolerant.

Same thing with soccer. They want to try and restart May 15 but will be curious if enough people are willing to play

Todd4State
04-19-2020, 06:17 PM
There just isn’t going to be enough consensus which is going to make it hard even if it proves to not be heat tolerant.

Same thing with soccer. They want to try and restart May 15 but will be curious if enough people are willing to play

What would be interesting to me for all these sports is if the parents would be Ok with their kids playing without them present. That would probably be a good thing on many levels.

HoopsDawg
04-19-2020, 07:40 PM
What would be interesting to me for all these sports is if the parents would be Ok with their kids playing without them present. That would probably be a good thing on many levels.

are the kids going to quarantine together in a hotel? B/c eventually they will have to come home.

HoopsDawg
04-19-2020, 07:42 PM
I think the best hope for travel ball this year will be some kind of June-August schedule. I would hold off on May baseball.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-20-2020, 01:39 PM
Cotton States League in New Albany has a July League for High School and Jr High players...

shoeless joe
04-21-2020, 08:58 AM
First off, no travel ball will be a great thing for the players...dads and coaches that are paid for results aren’t the best at making tough decisions about player safety based on what I’ve seen.

Secondly, there are quite a few people that make a living by putting on tournaments March-October. Of course they are going to want to play.

Full disclosure: I see travel ball as a necessary evil and I’m not a fan in general. I almost hope my boy just wants to work on the farm, hunt, and fish ...almost

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2020, 09:02 AM
I hate this pandemic because of the lack of reliable info.

Who are we listening to? The media that missed by millions of deaths?

When can we go back? When the media or experts with no wisdom say we can?

Has a single kid had symptoms of this virus?

I'd hate to see kids lose a year of their already short athletic careers based on fear mongering.

I guess I just don't see much risk is kids playing baseball.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Baseball, Softball, Golf and Tennis would be sports that would be safest from a virus standpoint....

mparkerfd20
04-21-2020, 09:24 AM
I would have absolutely zero concern about playing, but that's just me.

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2020, 09:28 AM
I would have absolutely zero concern about playing, but that's just me.

Me neither.

Just be responsible when you do it. Nothing but fear mongering to say kids can't play baseball

Cooterpoot
04-21-2020, 10:32 AM

They're wrong.

Cooterpoot
04-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Baseball, Softball, Golf and Tennis would be sports that would be safest from a virus standpoint....

Everyone touching a ball, especially after a pitcher licks his fingers isn't ideal. There's no distancing on the field either. Crowds and people from out of state are a bigger issue.

Cooterpoot
04-21-2020, 10:44 AM
I do see a lot of local people talking about setting up tournaments. People are trying to plan for them if they're available. But until the 10 person deal is eliminated (it won't be soon I don't believe), it's going to create a problem. If they do start up later in the summer, then you run into MAIS ball in softball.

Johnson85
04-21-2020, 10:52 AM
I have a 13 year old that has been playing travel baseball since he was 7. He loves it.

Apparently one of the Tournament Associations is considering restarting around Mother's Day. My son's Travel ball coach sent out a question to the parents asking how comfortable we would be starting back up then. So far only a couple of parents have responded but both thought it would be to soon. I haven't responded but would be very concerned about starting back then and have a lot of questions that I would need answered before I would be comfortable playing.

If it were you, what would be your thoughts?

I wouldn't have a problem with it per se. Everyone in my household is low risk. Arguably we should be the ones out there living our life. I probalby wouldn't want to do it. I know we'll probably be exposed eventually, but I'm not in any hurry to potentially feel like shit for two weeks.