PDA

View Full Version : What happens if there is football but certain schools like Tulane don't feild a team?

Jack Lambert
04-18-2020, 10:38 PM
It is very possible many schools will not play football while other do. I think every SEC schools field a team.

Bothrops
04-18-2020, 11:32 PM
If there is a season, it's going to be screwed up. Whoever wins it all will have an asterisk by their name in the record books going forward.

Lord McBuckethead
04-19-2020, 11:09 AM
I agree. Some teams, if we do have football, are not going to be fielding teams.
There is no indication that if games happen, there will be fans at the game.

At the same time, colleges cannot force players to return to practice with a significant health risk. Colleges could try to coerce players because they hold their scholly I guess. But if an outbreak happens in a clubhouse and a few players get sick and God forbid die, what does that mean.

I am going to file this entire conversation under the heading of short term memory issues. The overall numbers are looking much better than three weeks ago. The second people stop doing what they are doing, the numbers will sky rocket once again. Its really a shitty situation. Everyone wants sports, but fans should not be part of it. And sports like football, where players are literally touching each other... the risk isn't worth it.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Football pays for College Athletics..

Lord McBuckethead
04-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Football pays for College Athletics..

It does. We will just have to wait and see how we approach sports and fans.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-19-2020, 05:47 PM
If there is a season, it's going to be screwed up. Whoever wins it all will have an asterisk by their name in the record books going forward.

This is correct. If a season is approved by the NCAA (which would be a politically explosive decision at this point) it will probably be a short season without national implications. Of course, the most MSU thing to do would be to go undefeated. Small Banner??

Ari Gold
04-19-2020, 05:53 PM
ITS APRIL 19th ...
Let’s see where we are come July...

TALL DAWG
04-20-2020, 06:59 AM
ITS APRIL 19th ...
Let?s see where we are come July...

Exactly! I?ve been telling buddies this for weeks.

If players can begin team practices by say
July 5th....if the start of season is delayed
until Sept 12th....we?ll be good to go.
2+ months is plenty of time to get ready.

Jack Lambert
04-20-2020, 08:00 AM
Exactly! I?ve been telling buddies this for weeks.

If players can begin team practices by say
July 5th....if the start of season is delayed
until Sept 12th....we?ll be good to go.
2+ months is plenty of time to get ready.

There will be football. It could be delayed, the schedules could be modified, stadiums attendance might be modified , tailgating might be modified but there will be football.

1bigdawg
04-20-2020, 08:53 AM
There will be football and everyone will field a team. Tulane's athletic department, to use OP's example, cannot afford to lose the P5 guarantee money or the AAC tv money that comes from playing.

dawgoneyall
04-20-2020, 09:19 AM
It is very possible many schools will not play football while other do. I think every SEC schools field a team.

Then Tulane doesn't field a basketball team...thus Watson is back in the fold****

Johnson85
04-20-2020, 09:52 AM
There will be football and everyone will field a team. Tulane's athletic department, to use OP's example, cannot afford to lose the P5 guarantee money or the AAC tv money that comes from playing.

I was going to tell you that Tulane gets like $2M for its tv contract (annually, not per game) and that $2M is a drop in the bucket at this point, but 2020 is the start of a new contract for them so they'll actually get $7M, which probably does move the needle a lot for them.

gtowndawg
04-20-2020, 11:25 AM
We could play the same team twice in a dire straight situation. Liberty did it last year (New Mexico St. I believe). Played them home and away.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-20-2020, 01:36 PM
Then Tulane doesn't field a basketball team...thus Watson is back in the fold****
That would probably be only way for Howland and George Brooks to croot players

fishwater99
04-20-2020, 01:45 PM

If students are not on campus, there will be no football. Some states might have students on campuses and others might not. It will be interesting for sure.

Jack Lambert
04-20-2020, 01:54 PM
If students are not on campus, there will be no football. Some states might have students on campuses and others might not. It will be interesting for sure.

Our universities will not survive being closed. They will open.