PDA

View Full Version : Another night of boxing replays had a good question for group

R2Dawg
04-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Who is greatest Heavy Wt boxer everr? Hard to compare eras like any sport

Frazier
Ali
Holmes
Foreman
Holyfield
Tyson
Others??

After watching a few, Ali was great, Frazier was tough as nails, young George F. was tough too.

I gotta go with iron Mike. If he had been a little taller and a little more reach he would have been unbeatable. He was a terror though. When he smelled blood, it was over.

Bobby Ricigliano
04-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Who is greatest Heavy Wt boxer everr? Hard to compare eras like any sport

Frazier
Ali
Holmes
Foreman
Holyfield
Tyson
Others??

After watching a few, Ali was great, Frazier was tough as nails, young George F. was tough too.

I gotta go with iron Mike. If he had been a little taller and a little more reach he would have been unbeatable. He was a terror though. When he smelled blood, it was over.

Nm

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Rocky Marciano?

https://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-10-10-1476061732-7504623-tumblr_lp0sv0N6dj1qkfq8lo1_400-thumb.gif

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Ali was the best boxer. Tyson was the most terrifying force of nature.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2020, 09:05 PM
Ali was the best boxer. Tyson was the most terrifying force of nature.

This^^

....but his mamma named him Clay, so imma call Clay**

BeastMan
04-18-2020, 09:18 PM
Answer is probably Ali. Since Frazier beat him and had 2 barn burners, he deserves to be in the convo. Prime Mike Tyson pre Buster Douglas was the scariest fighter in boxing history. I’ll also give a mention to Lennox Lewis. Massive guy and very skilled. With the exception of getting touched by Hasim Rachman (which he rectified) he had a perfect career. Of the new guys, Tyson Fury has a chance if he wins the trilogy, which he will, and then beats Joshua

R2Dawg
04-18-2020, 09:24 PM
Ali was a great boxer but he got lucky with Frazier at least once. He just laid on the ropes and let Frazier hit away, round after round. He does that with Tyson and he is toast and it wouldn't take long.

Tyson had such short reach; not sure how he did as well as he did. I think many underestimate his boxing abilities due to that fact.

R2Dawg
04-18-2020, 09:26 PM
Answer is probably Ali. Since Frazier beat him and had 2 barn burners, he deserves to be in the convo. Prime Mike Tyson pre Buster Douglas was the scariest fighter in boxing history. I’ll also give a mention to Lennox Lewis. Massive guy and very skilled. With the exception of getting touched by Hasim Rachman (which he rectified) he had a perfect career. Of the new guys, Tyson Fury has a chance if he wins the trilogy, which he will, and then beats Joshua

Agree, Ali gets nod on Frazier but Frazier is right there; one tough dude. Lewis was also good. Also agree, Tyson wasn't the same late in career. He had lots of personal demons that got to him.

starkvegasdawg
04-18-2020, 11:12 PM
Ali was a great boxer but he got lucky with Frazier at least once. He just laid on the ropes and let Frazier hit away, round after round. He does that with Tyson and he is toast and it wouldn't take long.

Tyson had such short reach; not sure how he did as well as he did. I think many underestimate his boxing abilities due to that fact.

Tyson was able to get inside and then hit you with an uppercut so hard your lower jaw ended up on top of your head. He negated his opponent's longer reach advantage by being right next to him.

parabrave
04-18-2020, 11:17 PM
Ali then Frazier. If you were going to list all fighters I would put Sugar Ray Leonard up there also. He was great to watch.

Bothrops
04-18-2020, 11:19 PM
Heavyweights - Tyson

Super heavyweights - Lewis or Wladimir Klitschko

I think Klitschko was the longest reigning heavyweight of all time.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2020, 11:33 PM

He was, but in the era of least interest in the sport, sadly.

Bothrops
04-18-2020, 11:55 PM
He was, but in the era of least interest in the sport, sadly.

Yep, the MMA came along and stymied boxing during his career. He had Lennox Lewis' initial trainer, Emanuel Steward, who made him into championship caliber big heavyweight.

I think Lennox Lewis was slightly better. Plus, he beat everyone he ever faced, either outright or in first rematch.

BeastMan
04-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Heavyweights - Tyson

Super heavyweights - Lewis or Wladimir Klitschko

The Klitschkos basically got the belts and never left Russia. They may have been long reigning but they didn’t really fight anybody and ruined the division which is just now back. And you know who beat a Klitschko? Tyson Fury. The same Tyson Fury who is fighting all top contenders. Wilder and Fury are the anti-Klitschkos. Great for boxing and fighting anyone who wants it.

DownwardDawg
04-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Tyson was the complete package in his prime. Nobody had as much power as him possibly ever. He was lightning fast to go along with that. He was a great defensive fighter the way he moved side to side and had incredible vision. Sadly, as already mentioned in the thread, his personal demons took over and he was a shell of himself after that. Once the old man, Cus, died, ol Don King got in his ear and ruined him.

Saltydog
04-19-2020, 12:03 PM
The 70's was the greatest era for heavyweight boxing.......Ali, Frazier (my favorite), Foreman, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry, Ernie Shavers, Spinks bros, Holmes towards the end.........Late 70's and early to mid 80's welterweight and middleweight boxing was a golden era as well......In those classes you had Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran, etc........I loved boxing back then......

DownwardDawg
04-19-2020, 12:42 PM
The 70's was the greatest era for heavyweight boxing.......Ali, Frazier (my favorite), Foreman, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry, Ernie Shavers, Spinks bros, Holmes towards the end.........Late 70's and early to mid 80's welterweight and middleweight boxing was a golden era as well......In those classes you had Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran, etc........I loved boxing back then......
Sugar Ray Leonard is my all-time favorite boxer.

MedDawg
04-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Tyson was the complete package in his prime. Nobody had as much power as him possibly ever. He was lightning fast to go along with that. He was a great defensive fighter the way he moved side to side and had incredible vision. Sadly, as already mentioned in the thread, his personal demons took over and he was a shell of himself after that. Once the old man, Cus, died, ol Don King got in his ear and ruined him.

This. All of it. Plus Tyson was in prison for some of his prime boxing years.

Bothrops
04-19-2020, 01:07 PM
The Klitschkos basically got the belts and never left Russia. They may have been long reigning but they didn’t really fight anybody and ruined the division which is just now back. And you know who beat a Klitschko? Tyson Fury. The same Tyson Fury who is fighting all top contenders. Wilder and Fury are the anti-Klitschkos. Great for boxing and fighting anyone who wants it.

They fought what the division had to offer throughout their heyday. Vitali fought Lewis before both retired and lost due to medical stoppage (eye). Both fought Samuel Peter, Chis Byrd and Corrie Sanders. Wlad fought Fury while he was in his prime and Klitschko was not. He fought Hasim Rahman, Ibragimov, Ray Mercer and few others. It was time for retirement and I agree that Wladimir held too long.

Bothrops
04-19-2020, 01:12 PM
The 70's was the greatest era for heavyweight boxing.

This is indisputable.

BeastMan
04-19-2020, 04:57 PM
They fought what the division had to offer throughout their heyday. Vitali fought Lewis before both retired and lost due to medical stoppage (eye). Both fought Samuel Peter, Chis Byrd and Corrie Sanders. Wlad fought Fury while he was in his prime and Klitschko was not. He fought Hasim Rahman, Ibragimov, Ray Mercer and few others. It was time for retirement and I agree that Wladimir held too long.

Ya all good points. The division wasn’t great but they also contributed to the lack of buzz by staying in Russia. It killed it for a while. It’s not that I’m dismissing them as champions, I just love champions that will fight anyone, anywhere even at their own peril. Ali fought monsters. Fury is fighting monsters now. Slightly different but Conor McGregor has fought 3 different weight divisions and boxed. I just love guys like that. When Roy Jones went to light heavyweight and fought way bigger guys... Inject that in my veins

R2Dawg
04-19-2020, 07:23 PM

You are right 70-80s boxing was real good.

R2Dawg
04-19-2020, 07:26 PM

I agree. I made my original opinion after watching a lot of those Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson replays. If Tyson could have kept himself focused, there would be no debate. But he didn't and it is a fair debate over several decades of some great boxers.

Joebob
04-19-2020, 07:47 PM
I’ll go with Ali by a hair over Frazier. But Tyson is the guy I absolutely would not have gotten in the ring with for any amount of money.

On a different note, if Sugar Ray Leonard had been a heavyweight, he against Ali in their primes would have been indescribably incredible. For Leonard to have beaten Duran, Hagler, and Hearns at different weight classes is almost beyond belief.

FISHDAWG
04-20-2020, 09:46 AM

I believe that was Foreman (thrilla in Manillia) .... and if he had to fight foreman again he would have lost. That's the only time I remember Foreman losing in his prime - and I'm not sure he really lost that fight even tho it was a TKO

FISHDAWG
04-20-2020, 09:51 AM
I assume we're only talking heavy weights so I'm going with Foreman ... he even kicked ass in his 50's

PMDawg
04-20-2020, 09:56 AM
It should have been Tyson, but he just couldn't get out of his own way. He had really bad people around him too, and that didn't help.

Probably has to be Ali, even though his style proved to be very detrimental to his health post-retirement.

Fury and Wilder are awesome right now, but Fury is probably the one that has a chance to move into the conversation. Wilder is like a Mike Tyson with longer reach, but less actual boxing skills.

NWADAWG
04-20-2020, 11:06 AM
I can't decide if the boxing of the 70's was really that great or was it the fact that it came on ABC Wide World of Sports on Saturday afternoon so everyone with a tv could watch. We also had only 3 or 4 channels to choose from and no other digital entertainment to distract us. Even casual fans knew who all of the boxer were back then. The Tyson era took boxing from prime time tv to PPV. It made more money but screened out a lot of casual and poor watchers. The current era has to compete with MMA which makes boxing look pretty tame and there are a million other options (pre-virus). I don't think I'm the only one that can say I haven't watched a fight when it was actually happening in many years. I usually watch a few days later on youtube but the excitement is reduced when you already know who won. These and many other factors make is almost impossible to judge across the eras. Tyson Fury is a pretty good fighter at 6'9" and 260 or more and it's hard to understand how he would have compared to 6'2" Ali.

parabrave
04-20-2020, 11:55 AM
I can't decide if the boxing of the 70's was really that great or was it the fact that it came on ABC Wide World of Sports on Saturday afternoon so everyone with a tv could watch. We also had only 3 or 4 channels to choose from and no other digital entertainment to distract us. Even casual fans knew who all of the boxer were back then. The Tyson era took boxing from prime time tv to PPV. It made more money but screened out a lot of casual and poor watchers. The current era has to compete with MMA which makes boxing look pretty tame and there are a million other options (pre-virus). I don't think I'm the only one that can say I haven't watched a fight when it was actually happening in many years. I usually watch a few days later on youtube but the excitement is reduced when you already know who won. These and many other factors make is almost impossible to judge across the eras. Tyson Fury is a pretty good fighter at 6'9" and 260 or more and it's hard to understand how he would have compared to 6'2" Ali.

Great point. In the 7-s and even early 80's before PPV every kid followed boxing and Friday night fights was must see TV. Ask anyone who grew up in the 60's - the 80s we all knew the great boxers. Dam near everyone saw the Thriller in Manila and the Rope A Dope. Most of us did see Frazier beat Ali and then down goes Frazier. We also followed Olympic Boxing because thats where the next great boxer came from. And we all hated Howard Cosell. Now there is one boxer everyone is forgetting Teolfilo Stevenson. Imagine what he could have done if he was allowed to box professional.

StarkVegasSteve
04-21-2020, 03:39 PM
It should have been Tyson, but he just couldn't get out of his own way. He had really bad people around him too, and that didn't help.

Probably has to be Ali, even though his style proved to be very detrimental to his health post-retirement.

Fury and Wilder are awesome right now, but Fury is probably the one that has a chance to move into the conversation. Wilder is like a Mike Tyson with longer reach, but less actual boxing skills.

I think had Cus not died Tyson probably becomes the greatest heavyweight of all time. If he could've lived until 1992 or 1993 then you have to think that Tyson stays out of the legal trouble and continues his assault of the Heavyweight division well into the mid 90s. Once that influence of Cus was gone, Don King took over and screwed Tyson up and he was never the same.

Cowboydawg
04-21-2020, 05:57 PM
Without looking, who is the best boxer Mike Tyson defeated?

Saltydog
04-21-2020, 06:04 PM
NO boxing conversation about the greatest heavyweights of all time should be had w/o mentioning Joe Louis. Best ever, it's hard to say. Ali, Louis and Marciano are top 3, IMO. Put them in the order you'd like.

Cowboydawg
04-21-2020, 06:09 PM
NO boxing conversation about the greatest heavyweights of all time should be had w/o mentioning Joe Louis. Best ever, it's hard to say. Ali, Louis and Marciano are top 3, IMO. Put them in the order you'd like.

Joe Louis has to be in the conversation for #1. Mike Tyson is getting way too much love. Yes he was violent and scary and might have thrown the hardest punch but his resume as a true ?boxer? doesn?t stack up. He is outside the top 5 and behind Holyfield and Lewis.

Bothrops
04-21-2020, 09:11 PM
I think had Cus not died Tyson probably becomes the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Until the super heavyweights came along that's probably true.

FISHDAWG
04-22-2020, 07:37 AM
Joe Louis has to be in the conversation for #1. Mike Tyson is getting way too much love. Yes he was violent and scary and might have thrown the hardest punch but his resume as a true ?boxer? doesn?t stack up. He is outside the top 5 and behind Holyfield and Lewis.

I think Ali would have frustrated Tyson ... Tyson gets mad and makes mistake after mistake ... Ali jumps on one of those mistakes eventually and then we have the Thriller in The Bronx

PMDawg
04-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Without looking, who is the best boxer Mike Tyson defeated?

That's a fair point, because it's probably Spinx or Holmes. I still stand by what I said though. He had everything he needed to become the best, or at least top 3. But he flamed out for a lot of different reasons. The main one being he is crazy.

PMDawg
04-22-2020, 10:11 AM
That's a fair point, because it's probably Spinx or Holmes. I still stand by what I said though. He had everything he needed to become the best, or at least top 3. But he flamed out for a lot of different reasons. The main one being he is crazy.

ETA: He was definitely the most fun to watch until Fury and Wilder came along.

Cowboydawg
04-22-2020, 10:57 AM
ETA: He was definitely the most fun to watch until Fury and Wilder came along.

No doubt. I used to love watching him fight. The key was to get him into a boxing match which meant surviving the first few rounds. And not many in his era could do that. He was way more talented than Holyfield but Holyfield was just a good smart boxer. I would have loved to see what Tyson could have done if he had kept his head straight.

Coach34
04-22-2020, 11:56 AM
I agree. I made my original opinion after watching a lot of those Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson replays. If Tyson could have kept himself focused, there would be no debate. But he didn't and it is a fair debate over several decades of some great boxers.

The same thing was said about Ali in the 60's. People forget Ali also lost 4 years during his prime because of refusing to be drafted into the army. He was 30 and older in the 70's when he resumed his career. You could have added another 8-10 wins to his record if he doesnt lose those 4 years- and take away the late losses because he probably wouldnt have needed to fight just because of money

Ali in his prime and Tyson in his are without a doubt the best we have ever seen. But also cant leave out Marciano- 49-0 is 49-0. Especially when its 43 KO's to go with it

Coach34
04-22-2020, 12:02 PM

Marciano beat Louis- altho Louis was 76 when he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPddiQXD9c

Coach34
04-22-2020, 12:06 PM
I?ll go with Ali by a hair over Frazier.

Ali-Frazier fights were absolutely brutal. I remember them talking about how in the 3rd fight in about round 12- Ali said "this has got to be what dying feels like"

Cowboydawg
04-22-2020, 01:13 PM
Anybody else grow up watching USA Tuesday Night Fights? My Dad got me hooked early on and we watched every week. I just looked it up and it aired from 1982 to 1998. I was born in 1980 so I literally grew up watching it. Looked forward to Tuesday night every week.

Bothrops
04-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Anybody else grow up watching USA Tuesday Night Fights? My Dad got me hooked early on and we watched every week. I just looked it up and it aired from 1982 to 1998. I was born in 1980 so I literally grew up watching it. Looked forward to Tuesday night every week.

Loved Tuesday Night Fights when I watched in the early '90s. I also remember USA " Up all Night " with Rhonda Shear.

Cowboydawg
04-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Loved Tuesday Night Fights when I watched in the early '90s. I also remember USA " Up all Night " with Rhonda Shear.

Ha...and Gilbert Gottfried. Disturbing that I remember him more than Rhonda Shear.