PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Mississippi State Baseball Starting Lineup

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 09:50 AM
This is my all-time starting lineup & I am basing it on their OVERALL career in baseball, not just at MSU.

I'll make a weekend rotation:

Starting Rotation

Friday Night: Jeff Brantley
Saturday: Brandon Woodruff
Sunday: Dakota Hudson

Tuesday starter - Paul Maholm
Wednesday Starter - Kendall Graveman

Bullpen

Long relief - Jay Powell
Lefty reliever - Jacob Lindgren
Lefty reliever - Chad Girodo
7th Inning Guy - Jonathan Holder
Set-up Man - Bobby Thigpen
Closer - Jonathan Papelbon

C - Ed Easely
1B - Will Clark
2B - Adam Frazier
SS - Jordan Westburg - He's going to play SS in MLB & is the best power/hit/defense combo we've ever had there.
3B - Foscue - He's going to play 3B in MLB
RF - Rafael Palmeiro
CF - Hunter Renfroe
LF - Brent Rooker

Bats off the Bench

Mitch Moreland
Nate Lowe
Adam Piatt
Pete Young

What did I get wrong?

Remember, this is based on their entire career, including MLB, not just their MSU stats

drummerdawg
04-17-2020, 09:53 AM
This is my all-time starting lineup & I am basing it on their OVERALL career in baseball, not just at MSU.

I'll make a weekend rotation:

Starting Rotation

Friday Night: Jeff Brantley
Saturday: Brandon Woodruff
Sunday: Dakota Hudson

Tuesday starter - Paul Maholm
Wednesday Starter - Kendall Graveman

Bullpen

Long relief - Jay Powell
Lefty reliever - Jacob Lindgren
Lefty reliever - Chad Girodo
7th Inning Guy - Jonathan Holder
Set-up Man - Bobby Thigpen
Closer - Jonathan Papelbon

C - Ed Easely
1B - Will Clark
2B - Adam Frazier
SS - Jordan Westburg - He's going to play SS in MLB & is the best power/hit/defense combo we've ever had there.
3B - Foscue - He's going to play 3B in MLB
RF - Rafael Palmeiro
CF - Hunter Renfroe
LF - Brent Rooker

Bats off the Bench

Mitch Moreland
Nate Lowe
Adam Piatt
Pete Young

What did I get wrong?

Remember, this is based on their entire career, including MLB, not just their MSU stats

No Mangum?

Homedawg
04-17-2020, 09:55 AM
No Mangum?

he said he was basing it on pro career as well. It's his thread so his rules in making the team, so hard to argue w much of it.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:02 AM
No Mangum?

Entire career based... No

I don't think his career will be better than the other 3 OFs. Perhaps we could add him as a utility outfielder

Which of the 3 outfielders would you start him over?

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2020, 10:10 AM
You forgot to add Buck Showalter as manager

I'd also list Moreland as DH and make this an AL team

tcdog70
04-17-2020, 10:14 AM
Pitching--should have Mike Profitt--36 complete games .-Ethan Small for sure.-John Harden as a relief Pitcher.
Castoria would be DH.
Pete young would be my third baseman.

based on what they did at MSU--
shout out to Branley Jones-who shut out the Rebs-while wearing an Archie Who button.

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Probably need to have Del Unser in the OF over Rooker at this point too. Del played 15 years, was 2nd in ROY votes, and got MVP votes in '69

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:22 AM
You forgot to add Buck Showalter as manager

I'd also list Moreland as DH and make this an AL team

Good points

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Pitching--should have Mike Profitt--36 complete games .-Ethan Small for sure.-John Harden as a relief Pitcher.
Castoria would be DH.

shout out to Branley Jones-who shut out the Rebs-while wearing an Archie Who button.

If we were making a list based on what they did at MSU, I'd agree, but with this being an OVERALL career list, I feel better about what I did.

Pete Young was outstanding at MSU, but I believe Foscue is going to have a much better career.

Castoria - didn't even make it out of rookie ball

Mike Profitt - Made it AAA

Harden - Our bullpen in LOADED. Tough list to make.

Good point on Ethan Small - Could've easily made him a swig man on this roster. Could easily overtake some guys on this list if I make another in 5 years.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:27 AM
Probably need to have Del Unser in the OF over Rooker at this point too. Del played 15 years, was 2nd in ROY votes, and got MVP votes in '69

yeah, I thought about that, but since I never saw Del or Boo Ferris play, I decided not to include them.

They certainly belong here, but I think it makes the list less debatable because no one saw them play

Homedawg
04-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Castoria would be DH.

Remember Gun said pro career counts. The list would change if it were college only. With that said, all his guys deserve it. Eric Dubose pitched in bigs and didn't even make his team.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:56 AM
Remember Gun said pro career counts. The list would change if it were college only. With that said, all his guys deserve it. Eric Dubose pitched in bigs and didn't even make his team.

Probably should've just made Dubose a reliever & taken Girodo off.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:57 AM

It's a tough team to make & everyone's list may be different. That means you have a good program

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2020, 11:13 AM
yeah, I thought about that, but since I never saw Del or Boo Ferris play, I decided not to include them.

They certainly belong here, but I think it makes the list less debatable because no one saw them play

I think you have to include both based on MLB. Boo is our only MLB 20 game winner - and he did it twice. If he hadn't gotten hurt he'd probably be one of the best pitchers of his era.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 12:05 PM
I think you have to include both based on MLB. Boo is our only MLB 20 game winner - and he did it twice. If he hadn't gotten hurt he'd probably be one of the best pitchers of his era.

I don't disagree, but I wasn't going off stats here. I was going with what I actually thought would be our best lineup based on players I've seen play

My process is flawed no doubt, but I made the rules

smootness
04-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Entire career based... No

I don't think his career will be better than the other 3 OFs. Perhaps we could add him as a utility outfielder

Which of the 3 outfielders would you start him over?

It seems disingenuous to put Renfroe in CF when he has hardly ever played there in his baseball career.

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2020, 12:18 PM
I don't disagree, but I wasn't going off stats here. I was going with what I actually thought would be our best lineup based on players I've seen play

My process is flawed no doubt, but I made the rules

Then I think you still go with Ferriss over Graveman. I don't have to see him to know a guy who won 20 in the show twice, was an All-Star, was 4th in MVP voting as a rookie, and was 65-30 in his career is better than Graveman.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 12:29 PM
It seems disingenuous to put Renfroe in CF when he has hardly ever played there in his baseball career.

He's certainly fast enough. I understand the debate, I feel that putting him in CF helps us get our best bats in the lineup

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Then I think you still go with Ferriss over Graveman. I don't have to see him to know a guy who won 20 in the show twice, was an All-Star, was 4th in MVP voting as a rookie, and was 65-30 in his career is better than Graveman.

Sure, i don't disagree.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Boo is our only MLB 20 game winner - and he did it twice.

I fully expect Woodruff & Hudson to make it 3 within the next 5 years

Although I would say that wins aren't as big of a deal as they used to be. With how bullpens are used in today's game, starting pitchers are just getting far few decisions that they ever have.

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2020, 12:52 PM
he said he was basing it on pro career as well. It's his thread so his rules in making the team, so hard to argue w much of it.

First, this is a stacked team regardless of how you slice it.

I wish Shotgun had been honest though and simply said that we don't have many options for the left side of the infield. You can't include the "pro" part and then insert personal bias and expectations to make Foscue and Westburg fit the narrative. If that's the case and you're going off "overall" career, how you don't find a roster spot for the all-time SEC hit king is baffling. I'm not suggesting he starts in the outfield, but to not even roster him is preposterous.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 01:04 PM
First, this is a stacked team regardless of how you slice it.

I wish Shotgun had been honest though and simply said that we don't have many options for the left side of the infield. You can't include the "pro" part and then insert personal bias and expectations to make Foscue and Westburg fit the narrative. If that's the case and you're going off "overall" career, how you don't find a roster spot for the all-time SEC hit king is baffling. I'm not suggesting he starts in the outfield, but to not even roster him is preposterous.

Solid argument. Make your lineup.

Yeah. We lack left side of the infield guys, but I do expect Foscue and Westburg to end up being the best.

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Solid argument. Make your lineup.

Yeah. We lack left side of the infield guys, but I do expect Foscue and Westburg to end up being the best.

I think your group is solid. I was just pointing out that it seems our left side is weak when compared to other positions.

You could say Frazier is the SS, but he is a 2B in the show - so it's hard to compare "overall" careers since positions in the MLB are a lot more specialized than in college. Especially when you go back a few decades, you had position players that were also pitchers. You didn't see someone who only pitched.

basedog
04-17-2020, 02:04 PM
You guys can argue day and night about third base, but Phil Still at third base may have been the best ever. Played in Yankee triple A ball, Craig Nettles was his hold up to the majors. Not as many teams or minors in the day. Played whole lot less games and with wooden bat, dude was a stud! Great fielder as well, btw I loved Pete Young, he would be my backup there.

Todd4State
04-17-2020, 07:23 PM
Overall career in baseball? That's different but I like it. I kind of thought about all-encompassing career. I couldn't find a spot for Gary Rath- great career in Korea, Jack Lazorko- pitched literally all over the world, and Willie Mitchell- first Mississippian in MLB.

Friday- Jeff Brantley
Saturday- Boo Ferriss
Sunday- Dakota Hudson

Tuesday- Paul Maholm
Wednesday- Ethan Small (I think he makes it and does well in MLB)

Closer- Bobby Thigpen (I just like him better as a player than Papelbon)
Set-up- Jonathan Papelbon
7th inning guy- Jay Powell
LOOGY- Jacob Lindgren
Middle relief- Jonathan Holder (I don't need two LOOGY's)
Long relief- Kendall Graveman

C- Craig Tatum
C- Ed Easley

1B- Will Clark
2B- Hugh Critz- borderline HOF second baseman from the 20's and 30's
3B- Adam Piatt
SS- Adam Frazier

LF- Rafael Palmeiro
CF- Jake Mangum (Yes, I think he makes it and as far as overall baseball career he has had an immeasurable impact on baseball in Mississippi already)
RF- Hunter Renfroe
Fourth OF- Mitch Moreland

DH- Brent Rooker
PH- Del Unser- one of the best PH in MLB history
PR- Jacob Robson- I think he makes it up this year and probably plays for Canada in the WBC
UTL- Jimmy Bragan- Former president of Southern League, former MLB manager and player, former MSU coach. I'd say he had a big impact on baseball in his career.

HC- Buck Showalter
Bench Coach- Ron Polk. I saw him guest coach third base for the Jackson Generals after he retired the first 1 1/2 time in 1997.
Pitching Coach- Chris Young
Bullpen Coach- Sammy Ellis
Hitting Coach- Travis Chapman (hitting coach in Yankees minor league system)
First base Coach- Chris Maloney- former Cardinals first base coach
Third base Coach- Alex Grammas- Third base coach for the Big Red Machine and Detroit Tigers with Sparky Anderson
Team Chaplain- Ftr. Burke Masters- Chicago Cubs

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Overall career in baseball? That's different but I like it. I kind of thought about all-encompassing career. I couldn't find a spot for Gary Rath- great career in Korea, Jack Lazorko- pitched literally all over the world, and Willie Mitchell- first Mississippian in MLB.

Friday- Jeff Brantley
Saturday- Boo Ferriss
Sunday- Dakota Hudson

Tuesday- Paul Maholm

LOOGY- Jacob Lindgren

C- Craig Tatum
C- Ed Easley

1B- Will Clark
3B- Adam Piatt
SS- Adam Frazier

LF- Rafael Palmeiro
CF- Jake Mangum (Yes, I think he makes it and as far as overall baseball career he has had an immeasurable impact on baseball in Mississippi already)
RF- Hunter Renfroe

DH- Brent Rooker
PR- Jacob Robson- I think he makes it up this year and probably plays for Canada in the WBC
UTL- Jimmy Bragan- Former president of Southern League, former MLB manager and player, former MSU coach. I'd say he had a big impact on baseball in his career.

HC- Buck Showalter
Bench Coach- Ron Polk. I saw him guest coach third base for the Jackson Generals after he retired the first 1 1/2 time in 1997.
Third base Coach- Alex Grammas- Third base coach for the Big Red Machine and Detroit Tigers with Sparky Anderson

My team would beat yours

Homedawg
04-17-2020, 07:30 PM

Friday- Jeff Brantley
Saturday- Boo Ferriss
Sunday- Dakota Hudson

Tuesday- Paul Maholm

LOOGY- Jacob Lindgren

C- Craig Tatum
C- Ed Easley

1B- Will Clark
3B- Adam Piatt
SS- Adam Frazier

LF- Rafael Palmeiro
RF- Hunter Renfroe

DH- Brent Rooker

HC- Buck Showalter

Piatt is definitely the correct choice at third.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Piatt is definitely the correct choice at third.

Foscue will be better but I debated Piatt.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Boo Ferris also has his own dedicated spot in the Red Sox museum at Fenway. He is one of two with Ted Williams being the other. I am sure Boggs and Clemens winning a World Series for the Yankees are a big reason they don't.

Homedawg
04-17-2020, 09:43 PM
Foscue will be better but I debated Piatt.

I love foscue. Love him. You might be right. BUT if you use your rules, at present, piatt is the correct answer today. Can't have it both ways. Otherwise I can shoot holes in your team. Which I've already stated is a good one.

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2020, 08:38 PM
Including the MLB stats does not seem right. Might as well include signees that never played

Brett Pirtle in the dead bay era was awesome for us, way more impact than Westburg.

Dakota was good but only one season. Bobby Reed was good all career, BJ Wallace was an Ace of Aces

Foscue had a great career, solid baller

Like someone said, no Mangum?

Your bench is overloaded with 1b?men. No backup catcher and no great outfielder, like Mangum or Hurst

Ross Mitchell was great for us, never an MLB guy but great for us

Todd4State
04-18-2020, 08:58 PM
Including the MLB stats does not seem right. Might as well include signees that never played

Brett Pirtle in the dead bay era was awesome for us, way more impact than Westburg.

Dakota was good but only one season. Bobby Reed was good all career, BJ Wallace was an Ace of Aces

Your bench is overloaded with 1b?men. No backup catcher and no great outfielder, like Mangum or Hurst

My thing about impact in baseball which is kind of how I look at it- Ferriss had a ton more impact on the game of baseball in Mississippi especially because he basically started Delta State's program as well as being a 20 game winner on the MLB level. Delta State is obviously not MLB but they are a big part of the baseball landscape.

On the hand Mangum hasn't played a game in MLB but there is no question he has had a major impact on baseball. Huge advocate for increasing scholarships and promoting the college game. And he is just starting really. I'm almost certain he will be our coach one day.

And then Pete Young- played in MLB and is one of the top coaches in Mississippi at the travel ball level. That's a big impact as well.

Piatt was on a shoe ad in the 90's.

Homedawg
04-18-2020, 09:55 PM

He made the rules. You can start one another way. I think what he set up is fair.

Ezsoil
04-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Solid team but I'd put Thigpen as the closer as the 47 stood for so long

I'm not sold on Westburg at the next level...so I'd go with Frazier at short, Young or Piatt at 3rd