PDA

View Full Version : JT Ginn

ejdallas322
04-17-2020, 09:37 AM
https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-looking-ahead-to-mlb-draft-future-aces

Talks about Ginn as a possible second rounder, if so I?m pretty sure he will stay. Either way I think it would be smart for him to stay and use college work back up to speed from the surgery so he doesn?t risk having to use all that work while in the minors.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 10:06 AM
https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-looking-ahead-to-mlb-draft-future-aces

Talks about Ginn as a possible second rounder, if so I?m pretty sure he will stay. Either way I think it would be smart for him to stay and use college work back up to speed from the surgery so he doesn?t risk having to use all that work while in the minors.

Just a word of warning....

I would ignore all publication mock drafts & player rankings this year after about pick 15.

Many great players never had their market develop due to shortened seasons. There will be a lot of surprises

Commercecomet24
04-17-2020, 10:07 AM
JT is planning to be back and don't be surprised if he swings the bat some as well.

confucius say
04-17-2020, 10:13 AM
I was listening to jake's new podcast with minshew yesterday and noticed jake referred to Ginn's surgery as Tommy John. Know that's not what was rumored on here. Jake may have just been assuming though.

TStationDawg
04-17-2020, 11:01 AM
JT is planning to be back and don't be surprised if he swings the bat some as well.

This is good to hear! Has he been keeping up the work on his hitting? I was expecting to see more of this earlier in his career.

Cowboydawg
04-17-2020, 11:02 AM
I don?t think he falls past the Dodgers at #29.

Cooterpoot
04-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Make him a closer and let him hit. Not hard to figure this one out.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2020, 11:04 AM
This is good to hear! Has he been keeping up the work on his hitting? I was expecting to see more of this earlier in his career.

Yes he has.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 11:05 AM

It just hurts his draft stock.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 11:06 AM
I don?t think he falls past the Dodgers at #29.

It's a really deep draft. Not sure JT has enough "stats" to take on the risk of taking him that high

TStationDawg
04-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Pete Young 2.0?

Cowboydawg
04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
It's a really deep draft. Not sure JT has enough "stats" to take on the risk of taking him that high

I have heard they are monitoring his surgery/recovery very closely. They like him a lot and barring no additional setbacks, I think there is a good chance they take him again.

Cooterpoot
04-17-2020, 11:21 AM
It just hurts his draft stock.

He'll still go top 3 rounds and save the arm.

AlSwearengen
04-17-2020, 12:02 PM
Hasn’t conventional wisdom/information been that if he happens to come back and pitches without any issues (surgery was successful) that he would probably be a top 10 pick next year?

It is a big gamble, but there is a lot of money between pick 8 and pick 30 for instance.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 12:03 PM
I have heard they are monitoring his surgery/recovery very closely. They like him a lot and barring no additional setbacks, I think there is a good chance they take him again.

That would be awfully risky when there are less risky options on the board with similar talent

Lord McBuckethead
04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
I was always wondering why he didn't DH for us during his off days. From what I remember, he was a dang good hitter in high school as well.

Lord McBuckethead
04-17-2020, 12:14 PM
Not that this is in reference to JT, but let's say a player comes to college and plays baseball. Then gets drafted into the MLB. After a few years, could said player come back to college and play football or basketball?

Todd4State
04-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Not that this is in reference to JT, but let's say a player comes to college and plays baseball. Then gets drafted into the MLB. After a few years, could said player come back to college and play football or basketball?

Yes. Chris Weinke comes to mind.

Thrill1
04-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Pete Young 2.0?

Or Bobby Thigpen 3.0

Commercecomet24
04-17-2020, 12:53 PM

Yes they could. There have been several. I remember Josh Booty playing minor league baseball and them coming back to QB at LSU and Todd mentioned Chris Weinke. Oh and Cord Sandburg is another one. So it happens just not often

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Yes they could. There have been several. I remember Josh Booty playing minor league baseball and them coming back to QB at LSU and Todd mentioned Chris Weinke. Oh and Cord Sandburg is another one. So it happens just not often

Brandon Weeden as well

TStationDawg
04-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Or Bobby Thigpen 3.0

Well played sir

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 01:54 PM
I'll say this: I'm not a huge fan of JT Ginn as a closer because he's a sinker baller.

Name a sinker baller, right handed, conventional arm slot closer in the big leagues? I'll wait

Sinker balls are ground ball pitches but not swing & miss pitches & I want my closer to create swing & miss.

If JT truly is going to be a closer, he's going to have to throw his slider a good bit more or develop a legitimate 4 seam fast ball.

Madisonmd
04-17-2020, 02:18 PM
What do you think is Ginn's best " out" pitch?

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 02:30 PM
What do you think is Ginn's best " out" pitch?

His 90 mph slider when he's healthy.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2020, 02:49 PM
His 90 mph slider when he's healthy.

Agreed. His slider is nasty.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Agreed. His slider is nasty.

Since being at MSU, Ginn has thrown his slider 28% of the time. As a closer, he'll need to increase that to 35-40% to be really successful due to being a sinker baller rather than a 4 seam fastball guy.

With a good 4 seam fastball, he wouldn't need to change at all.

Madisonmd
04-17-2020, 02:58 PM
What action does one normally get from 4 seam fastball?

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 03:09 PM
What action does one normally get from 4 seam fastball?

Riding. 4 seamers hold plane. It's why Ethan Small was so good.

2-seamers sink but it's easier for a hitter to get the barrel to a ball sinking than one holding plane up in the zone.

4 seamers will give up more HRs than 2 seamers, but the swing & miss they create, when thrown properly, far outweighs the risk

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Ethan Small is a 4-seam fastball guy. Look how the ball rides over the top of the barrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAl7KuQgDCU

Conversely, JT is a sinker baller & damn good one with world class sink, but even at 95 mph in this video, you can see how the sinker is just easier to make contact with. Don't pay attention to his nasty sliders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqH8dHsLdMQ&t=28s

If you pull up videos of the best MLB relievers, you'll see that they are virtually all 4 seam fast ball types unless they are side arm or throw cutters like Mariano Rivera or Kenley Janson.

The job of a reliever or closer is not to induce contact. It's strike people out.

Bobby Ricigliano
04-17-2020, 11:58 PM

I believe the clock on your 5 years of eligibility starts your first of class, regardless of playing different sports. Those other guys went pro baseball first, then school. The question here is college baseball, pro baseball, then another college sport. So, for example, it would have to be something like 3 years college baseball, 1 years pro baseball, 1 year college football.

This is also the ONLY thing that prevents me from coming back to school to play for Leach.

smootness
04-18-2020, 12:23 AM
Ginn K'd 11.5 per 9 IP as a freshman. He's not a pitch-to-contact guy.

Jack Lambert
04-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Isn't he a real good third baseman?

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2020, 05:59 PM

We actually need a solid Right-Hand bat in the lineup, 3B or Corner OF...going to next season

Leggett and Cumbest are all career sub-Mendoza righties

Land, Brock, McGowan, Landon Jordan are sub Mendoza lefties with Land & McGowan being young bucks that are due to improve

It would be nice to get a proven D1 right-handed hitting transfer student for 3B and Corner Outfield...a guy that would have been drafted in say the 12th round.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2020, 06:05 PM

Probably not since he hasn't hit in 2 years.

Hitting isn't exactly something that you can stop for 2 years and pick back up.

Todd4State
04-18-2020, 09:51 PM
We actually need a solid Right-Hand bat in the lineup, 3B or Corner OF...going to next season

Leggett and Cumbest are all career sub-Mendoza righties

Land, Brock, McGowan, Landon Jordan are sub Mendoza lefties with Land & McGowan being young bucks that are due to improve

It would be nice to get a proven D1 right-handed hitting transfer student for 3B and Corner Outfield...a guy that would have been drafted in say the 12th round.

I think Blaze Jordan starts at third base for us next year.

Any fear mongering want to throw in their obligatory "we won't have a vaccine by then!"?