BorneDawg
04-16-2020, 06:43 PM
How big a loss is that?

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Well shes from Texas...

Irondawg
04-16-2020, 07:26 PM
Depends if she can stay healthy. Really good when healthy but has had some knee injuries. Gritty player who I was high on but figured she was the single most likely player to not stay since she was from Texas.

Captain Falcon
04-16-2020, 10:43 PM
How big a loss is that?

I don?t think she would?ve played much for a year or two. We really need to keep Hayes though, that would be a big blow.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-17-2020, 03:54 AM
Hayes is the key...she can basically play PG, SG or Forward at a high level. We are thin at PG..

msbulldog
04-17-2020, 05:35 AM
Hayes is fron Tennessee Coach Nikki should be able to relate.

jdelta02
04-17-2020, 10:12 AM
- Coach Nikki McCray-Penson recently offered a Memphis area, class of 2021 point guard named Se'Quoia Allmond (uncomitted). Curently not rated overly high....but a really quick, smaller point guard, very crafty.

- Possibly, Rickea...speaks with with her former Detroit Edison teammate, class of 2021 point guard Damiya Hagemann (uncomitted) about coming to join her at Miss State. Hagemann is one of the very top point guards on the high school level. Very crafty passer/playmaker. Also, Rickea played USA Basketball with another top 2021 point guard named Jada Walker....they're former teammates as well.

- Madison Hayes has a connection (aau, USA 3?3, ect) with 2021 point guard Raven Johnson (uncomitted).....former teammates. Also, Hayes is a very versatile, multi-positional player, and can be moved to the point herself if need be. (My opinion) She was her high school team's version of Oscar Robertson...not every game, but in quite a few.

-

notsofarawaydawg
04-17-2020, 10:29 AM
I won't link it but there is an article in the Clarion Liar today about Madison Hayes.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-17-2020, 12:39 PM
- Coach Nikki McCray-Penson recently offered a Memphis area, class of 2021 point guard named Se'Quoiua Allmond (uncomitted). Curently not rated overly high....but a really quick, smaller point guard, very crafty.

- Possibly, Rickea...speaks with with her former Detroit Edison teammate, class of 2021 point guard Damiya Hagemann (uncomitted) about coming to join her at Miss State. Hagemann is one of the very top point guards on the high school level. Very crafty passer/playmaker. Also, Rickea played USA Basketball with another top 2021 point guard named Jada Walker....they're former teammates as well.

- Madison Hayes has a connection (aau, USA 3?3, ect) with 2021 point guard Raven Johnson (uncomitted).....former teammates. Also, Hayes is a very versatile, multi-positional player, and can be moved to the point herself if need be. (My opinion) She was her high school team's version of Oscar Robertson...not every game, but in quite a few.

-

You think we hold onto Hayes?

Dawgology
04-17-2020, 12:45 PM
I Didn't think a coach could leave and just take all the players with him. Kind of shitty if allowed.

pilldawg
04-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Gaston was a top 10 type player when healthy, but had two knee surgeries. All depends on how healthy she can get and stay. Almost a Promise Taylor type situation.

jdelta02
04-17-2020, 04:01 PM
You think we hold onto Hayes?

I read where Madison Hayes indicated that if she and Coach Nikki McCray-Penson (mentioned staff as well) developed a good relationship....that she would likely stay. Also mentioned that they've spoken several times. She and her mother, both indicated that thus far things were going well.

maroonmania
04-17-2020, 06:01 PM
I read where Madison Hayes indicated that if she and Coach Nikki McCray-Penson (mentioned staff as well) developed a good relationship....that she would likely stay. Also mentioned that they've spoken several times. She and her mother, both indicated that thus far things were going well.

Yep, if we now lose Hayes, then this year's recruiting for WBB would be a total washout and a lost year. Hopefully we won't lose her, but if we do, that's just part of the deal when we hired NMP over JH. Obviously Cohen felt we would have a better long term program with NMP than with Harris even with the lack of continuity with the coaching staff in that decision and the fallout that goes with that (like losing recruits).

Parker Street
04-17-2020, 07:30 PM

jdelta02
04-18-2020, 10:32 PM
Yemiyah Morris is currently the only true center on the roster.

- Miss. State offered a 6-6 center named Clarice Akunwafo (class of 2021) back in January.
- Promise Taylor...medical retirement
- Lauren Ebo signed with Texas
- Maori Davenport signed...Georgia
- Other options

Miss. State could use a young, up and coming center.....either high school or transfer. Get her in, and start developing her.

Cooterpoot
04-18-2020, 10:48 PM
Yep, if we now lose Hayes, then this year's recruiting for WBB would be a total washout and a lost year. Hopefully we won't lose her, but if we do, that's just part of the deal when we hired NMP over JH. Obviously Cohen felt we would have a better long term program with NMP than with Harris even with the lack of continuity with the coaching staff in that decision and the fallout that goes with that (like losing recruits).

1. We aren't losing her.
2. Johnny isn't why she committed here.
3. We've lost one recruit and she has had a ton of issues.
4. Carter can play the 4 spot when needed.
We'll get players. This year might be tougher because of everything going on but we'll be fine.

captaindog
04-19-2020, 07:33 AM
I agree. If Coach McCray-Penson is able to keep M Hayes this spring I?ll be happy. Anything else is a bonus. I think it is going to be difficult for her to establish relationships with any elite players this soon. I can?t imagine her recruiting the same type players at Old Dominion that would be needed to improve this Mississippi State team. She is basically starting from scratch. Conservatively she is going to have to prove her first year that she can coach talent and keep Mississippi State playing at a high level. Even though she can tout her national championship at South Carolina and her improvement to the Old Dominion program I think most high level players are going to take a wait and see position.

maroonmania
04-19-2020, 10:21 AM
1. We aren't losing her.
2. Johnny isn't why she committed here.
3. We've lost one recruit and she has had a ton of issues.
4. Carter can play the 4 spot when needed.
We'll get players. This year might be tougher because of everything going on but we'll be fine.

1. I don't think we will end up losing her but don't see how you can say for sure we aren't when the Hayes family won't say that.
2. IF JH was still here along with the staff members she would have retained there would be no question about retaining Hayes no matter her original motivation for committing. Not having any pre-existing realtionship with the current HC and the fact there are no assistant staff members in place yet is the exact reason she is saying she is reassessing things.
3. Why is it that when we bring in coaches they ALwAYS play the ethics card of pledging not to recruit players they were recruiting for their previous schools but when our coaches leave they seem to concentrate primarily on players they had been previously recruiting to MSU. I don't ever want to hear another new HC of ours say ANY recruit is off limits ever again.
4. Everyone pretty much knows this although I'm not sure how that fact relates to this year's recruiting class. I do think with Bibby gone we could see Carter and Morris playing together at times when we want to go big. Cooks will be a factor at the PF/C position as well this year.

jdelta02
04-19-2020, 11:05 AM
At this point....
If Yemiyah Morris continues to play like she did in the SEC Tourney, and continues to improve off of that.....she's easily an option for heavy minutes at center. SEC teams are getting better and better. It's very important that Miss. State takes advantage of it's size in the frontcourt. Also, new staff work with Jessika Carter, help prepare her to perform much better in the tougher post matchups, including defending without fouling. My opinion, Sidney Cooks is pretty much good to go (game ready)....still, she needs to stay conditioning, continue to get better, ect.