PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Women's Basketball

jdelta02
04-15-2020, 10:52 PM
Ole Miss picks up a player that ranked higher than Rickea Jackson was in high school

Ole Miss Women's basketball program picked up they're second McDonald's All-American of this recruiting cycle today.....Maryland transfer Shakira Austin (ESPN #4 overall class 2018). Miss. State's Rickea Jackson was ESPN's #5 overall class of 2019. Madison Scott, a McDonald's All-American out of Maryland signed with them earlier. Also, signed another 5 star in this class ..top player in Mississippi

- Also, Kentucky's women picked up they're 4th McDonald's All-American earlier today.

- Georgia picked up Rutgers transfer Maori Davenport....(left off the McDonald's All-American last year due to high school eligibility situation)

Irondawg
04-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Interesting landing spot for Austin - what's their tie to Maryland players? And why would suddenly McD AA choose what's been the worst team in the SEC the past few years? Seems a little out of left field.

I get the player from MS they got, but with all the good programs in the midwest and NE just odd to see them land in Oxford.

TheLostDawg
04-16-2020, 12:10 AM
O how I would love to see the NCAA put ole Miss down like a rabid dog for paying players. They obviously are more arrogant about cheating now that they know what they can get away with. We all know the NCAA isn't going to do a thing though.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-16-2020, 06:52 AM
YO The Coach!

Ari Gold
04-16-2020, 08:23 AM
You know There is nothing to talk about when OM women’s hoops has its own thread...

FISHDAWG
04-16-2020, 08:29 AM
You know There is nothing to talk about when OM women?s hoops has its own thread...

yep ... and we're reading it

Cooterpoot
04-16-2020, 08:43 AM
We passed on two of those kids mentioned. The girls rankings are really crap to be honest.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2020, 08:47 AM
A Maryland asst coach was just hired as an asst at OM. There's your connection.

ShotgunDawg
04-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Just like Ole Miss did with baseball, it wouldn't surprise me to see them go all in on Women's basketball because we did.

MSU is always the leader when it comes to athletics with Ole Miss always following behind because they can't stand us being good at something.

It's already happened in baseball. Without MSU baseball, Ole Miss baseball would be like Alabama baseball. It would be a ghost town.

Cooterpoot
04-16-2020, 09:02 AM
OM used to be a Power in women's basketball. They shifted their funding to other sports. By funding I mean.....$

basedog
04-16-2020, 09:21 AM
Just like Ole Miss did with baseball, it wouldn't surprise me to see them go all in on Women's basketball because we did.

MSU is always the leader when it comes to athletics with Ole Miss always following behind because they can't stand us being good at something.

It's already happened in baseball. Without MSU baseball, Ole Miss baseball would be like Alabama baseball. It would be a ghost town.

Actually Gun, back when I was in school at Msu, OM was a really good baseball program, not sure that I would say or compare OM baseball to Bama football. So they have the history and they have been good but not great.

In WBB they had Chancellor and again were way ahead of us in this sport. Thank the good Lord for Vic!

ShotgunDawg
04-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Actually Gun, back when I was in school at Msu, OM was a really good baseball program, not sure that I would say or compare OM baseball to Bama football. So they have the history and they have been good but not great.

In WBB they had Chancellor and again were way ahead of us in this sport. Thank the good Lord for Vic!

Where did I compare Ole Miss baseball to Alabama football?

coastratdog
04-16-2020, 09:51 AM
I believe Van Chancellor was a a State guy. Coached Harrison Central to many state playoffs and did a great job at UM. Nothing to knock there. They have pretty much sucked since he left.

Delta State had a good WBB program back in the late 70's early 80's. Don't know what happened to the coach but we could have used her.

basedog
04-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Where did I compare Ole Miss baseball to Alabama football?

My bad it was baseball not football! But Om has been very good in WBB before.

MedDawg
04-16-2020, 11:05 AM
I believe Van Chancellor was a a State guy. Coached Harrison Central to many state playoffs and did a great job at UM. Nothing to knock there. They have pretty much sucked since he left.

Delta State had a good WBB program back in the late 70's early 80's. Don't know what happened to the coach but we could have used her.

Delta State's coach was named Margaret Wade. She was so well thought of that the current trophy for the best NCAA women's basketball player (women's basketball's Heisman) is called the Margaret Wade trophy.

When Margaret Wade and Delta State won their national championships in the 1970's NCAA women's basketball had not yet formed. The national organization was called the AIAW and Delta State played and beat current P5 teams like UCLA.

When the NCAA Women's Basketball organization was formed Delta State was put in Division II (as they are in football). DSU later won 3 national championships (1989, 1990, 1992) in Division II under coach Lloyd Clark.

Percho
04-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Interesting landing spot for Austin - what's their tie to Maryland players? And why would suddenly McD AA choose what's been the worst team in the SEC the past few years? Seems a little out of left field.

I get the player from MS they got, but with all the good programs in the midwest and NE just odd to see them land in Oxford.

It's all women's basketball and track***

notsofarawaydawg
04-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Ole Miss has hired their Hugh Freeze of women's basketball. They've found someone who will turn her head at cheating just to have a chance to compete with MSU. The 5 star from MS she signed was wanted by NO ONE else because of personal issues. It won't be long before the NCAA will be sniffing around that Oxford campus again. However, when you compare the quality of coaching at MSU to UM, there is no comparison. She will never have Ole Miss as a top tier team in the SEC.

Van Chancellor is a dear friend of mine. Have known him since the 70's and respect him. However, the program was not squeaky clean because I know he bought Eugenia Conner's mother a lot of stuff when she signed with Ole Miss out of Harrison Central.

Captain Falcon
04-16-2020, 04:16 PM
They will be better because they cannot possibly be worse than they were last year. We beat them by 41 in The Hump on a night we did not play very well.

They are still a long way away from being competitive

MaroonFlounder
04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Van Chancellor is a dear friend of mine. Have known him since the 70's and respect him. However, the program was not squeaky clean because I know he bought Eugenia Conner's mother a lot of stuff when she signed with Ole Miss out of Harrison Central.

You mean WAS a dear friend of yours.

He may not appreciate you divulging that information on a public forum.