PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: ColdCocked Edition

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Gents, my column is up at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/11/3/5062046/wmd-armchair-qb-coldcocked-edition-msu-bulldogs-south-carolina-gamecocks-dan-mullen). You know the drill. Click, read, post.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Very good article. We see eye to eye on most things. There are certainly many things to complain about, and it frustrates me as well. But I just see that we are young and getting better on the field.

Bowl game or go for me as well. We have young players, but by the time we get to ARK and OM, those players are no longer young and should be able to execute. Can't call players young when they are in their 11th and 12th games of the year. There have been some painful lessons, but they need to show that they have learned by the end of the season.

thf24
11-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I agree on the punting situation. Even though Bell might actually be a little better, Swedenburg has been so good for us over his career that it's a real disservice to pull him in his senior year in favor of a marginally better alternative. I hope Mullen isn't hurting his NFL chances by doing so, although I suppose scouts have all the tape they need on him at this point.

Also, good job on spreading out the criticism evenly and fairly. There's too much intellectual dishonesty going around on who's to blame for our problems from both the anti- and pro-Mullen camps, and it really helps to pull everything back into perspective when it's laid out objectively like this.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Bell had a 62 yard punt yesterday. While I do agree that Swedenburg didn't deserve to be taken out, it's hard to argue that Bell isn't more talented. Being able to flip the field is a big deal, or at least could be.

If Bell is punting the ball 65 yards in practice, the other players see that and know that we wouldn't be doing everything possible to win unless Bell was the punter. Some people bash Mullen for playing seniors and showing favoritism, but he does this and now you complain. Mullen is playing the better player.

thf24
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Good point. I wasn't exactly complaining, I just think it's unfortunate Swedenburg has been replaced this late in his last year when he's got a shot at the NFL. But it is good to see Mullen going with the best option at the position; same with replacing Bell with Sobiesk to kick the field goal.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I agree on the punting situation. Even though Bell might actually be a little better, Swedenburg has been so good for us over his career that it's a real disservice to pull him in his senior year in favor of a marginally better alternative. I hope Mullen isn't hurting his NFL chances by doing so, although I suppose scouts have all the tape they need on him at this point.

Also, good job on spreading out the criticism evenly and fairly. There's too much intellectual dishonesty going around on who's to blame for our problems from both the anti- and pro-Mullen camps, and it really helps to pull everything back into perspective when it's laid out objectively like this.

Thank you, sir. I try to place blame where it's due and give praise where it's due. Like I said, I've mercilessly, and deservedly, ripped Devon Bell all season. So when he does something well, it's flat wrong if I don't give him credit for that. Same thing for the Coaching vs. Execution debate. You gotta see where it all fits.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Bell had a 62 yard punt yesterday. While I do agree that Swedenburg didn't deserve to be taken out, it's hard to argue that Bell isn't more talented. Being able to flip the field is a big deal, or at least could be.

If Bell is punting the ball 65 yards in practice, the other players see that and know that we wouldn't be doing everything possible to win unless Bell was the punter. Some people bash Mullen for playing seniors and showing favoritism, but he does this and now you complain. Mullen is playing the better player.

It's definitely a fine line to walk. I understand what Mullen is trying to do by rewarding practice performance. It just sucks for Baker when he's been arguably the best punter in the nation for the last 2+ years. Also, think about it this way: Would you rather have a guy boom it 65 yards and give up a 10-15 yard return or a guy who consistently hits it 45 yards and gives up 0 or negative return yards? I think you can use both Baker & Bell effectively. Let Bell try to murder one when we're pinned deep and need to flip the field. Otherwise, keep using Baker to hang it up and prevent any returns or late in a close game with a dangerous PR guy back deep.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2013, 06:18 PM
It's definitely a fine line to walk. I understand what Mullen is trying to do by rewarding practice performance. It just sucks for Baker when he's been arguably the best punter in the nation for the last 2+ years. Also, think about it this way: Would you rather have a guy boom it 65 yards and give up a 10-15 yard return or a guy who consistently hits it 45 yards and gives up 0 or negative return yards? I think you can use both Baker & Bell effectively. Let Bell try to murder one when we're pinned deep and need to flip the field. Otherwise, keep using Baker to hang it up and prevent any returns or late in a close game with a dangerous PR guy back deep.

If Bell starts having punts returned then I'll agree, I'd rather have the one who punts it 45 with no retire, but that hasn't happened yet. As far as the other part, I'd be OK with that.

RiverCityDawg
11-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Punters don't get drafted unless they have an elite leg...and Baker doesn't. Its an extremely long shot that he even makes a team, much less gets drafted. Very good college punter, but nowhere near good enough to be considered one of the best 32 in the world.

To your main point, I tend to agree about pulling a guy that has been so consistent over someone marginally better. That being said, its clear Bell can boom it and placekicking is not his thing, so glad we are figuring out a way to use his leg.

RiverCityDawg
11-03-2013, 07:42 PM
A lot of good points. One correction... Kendrick Market was the guy that got beat on the first SC touchdown.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2013, 07:45 PM
A lot of good points. One correction... Kendrick Market was the guy that got beat on the first SC touchdown.

Incorrect, it was 24. 24 = Dee Arrington. I initially thought it was Market, so I (discount) double checked. It stuck out to me because I couldn't believe it was Arrington in the game in that situation instead of Market.

BoomBoom
11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Gents, my column is up at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/11/3/5062046/wmd-armchair-qb-coldcocked-edition-msu-bulldogs-south-carolina-gamecocks-dan-mullen). You know the drill. Click, read, post.

what does it matter if the FG unit was running onto the field? there wasn't time to spike the ball anyway. the assistant was probably confused because like the rest of us he couldn't see any logic in that play call, so he had no idea what Mullen was trying to do.

anyway, Mullen made the play call that led to a sack, which was a terrible call. then coming out of a timeout he didn't have the O ready for the play. that's on DM, not on Dak. and then he made an idiotic play call with the 8 yard curl. with a whole TO to think about it. It's been 5 years of that crap, and most fans see the pattern and are sick of it. Dan can't make those snap decisions. It's a talent some people have, and an SEC HC must have, but Dan doesn't. It's just another area where DM is in over his head. He was a fine hire, but he's crapped out as a HC, it turns out he just doesn't have the skill set. time to move on.

FFF
11-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Good writeup and agree with most every point except this one:

3. A lot of people are blaming Mullen for the fiasco at the end of the first half. The truth is that it is partly on Mullen and partly on the players. Dak absolutely can't take the sack. That's not a coaching issue, that's an execution issue. Then he compounded the problem by wasting the final timeout due to confusion about the play. Again, execution. What DOES fall on Mullen is the FG unit trying to run onto the field early. That can't happen. Period. Huge coaching blunder there.

This part DOES fall on Mullen. In that first timeout, instead of drawing up a plan to finish the half and communicating that plan to every involved personnel (players, coaches, etc.), our coach is absolutely crawling inside Dak's ass about the sack (and the official for the grounding call... which I argue was the right call... I would have thrown the flag there, too... he was trying to save yardage because Perk was nowhere near where he was trying to throw the ball). The sack was bad and the grounding mistake was even worse, but as a coach and the leader of a football team, you HAVE to put that behind you long enough to make the most of the situation we were in... which was :13 on the clock, at our opponents 40, and 1 timeout. Instead, he was busy crawling up and down everyone because of the sack/grounding. The result is mass confusion and that's exactly how it played out...

- Dak isn't sure of the playcall, no one is lined up correctly, 10 seconds on the playclock (after a timeout, mind you), and another timeout has to be called.
- The playcall becomes relatively simple, but the situation obviously doesn't get to all the coaches, who I will assume did not know we had used our last timeout to combat the last ****-upery and sent the FG unit onto the field.
- The half ends with no attempt made at scoring and an absolute cluster ****.

RiverCityDawg
11-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Incorrect, it was 24. 24 = Dee Arrington. I initially thought it was Market, so I (discount) double checked. It stuck out to me because I couldn't believe it was Arrington in the game in that situation instead of Market.

You're wrong on two counts. 38 is Arrington. 24 is Deontay Evans. And it was 26 that was in the game on that play that got beat....I literally just watched it again to be sure. Its tough to see the number during the play, but just after he catches it they show a field level view and it was 26 - Market. Besides, Evans (24) backs up Nickoe and Nickoe was in on that play.

hacker
11-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Are you sure? I thought it was #26, but I couldn't get a very clear shot of the number. I rewound it like 4 times to see.

hacker
11-03-2013, 09:10 PM
You're wrong on two counts. 38 is Arrington. 24 is Deontay Evans. And it was 26 that was in the game on that play that got beat....I literally just watched it again to be sure. Its tough to see the number during the play, but just after he catches it they show a field level view and it was 26 - Market. Besides, Evans (24) backs up Nickoe and Nickoe was in on that play.

Yeah, this.

hacker
11-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Would you rather have a guy boom it 65 yards and give up a 10-15 yard return or a guy who consistently hits it 45 yards and gives up 0 or negative return yards?

False dichotomy. Bell outpunted Swedenburg 2 weeks ago, and didn't allow any yards against SC either. 5 punts, 0 returns.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
what does it matter if the FG unit was running onto the field? there wasn't time to spike the ball anyway. the assistant was probably confused because like the rest of us he couldn't see any logic in that play call, so he had no idea what Mullen was trying to do.

anyway, Mullen made the play call that led to a sack, which was a terrible call. then coming out of a timeout he didn't have the O ready for the play. that's on DM, not on Dak. and then he made an idiotic play call with the 8 yard curl. with a whole TO to think about it. It's been 5 years of that crap, and most fans see the pattern and are sick of it. Dan can't make those snap decisions. It's a talent some people have, and an SEC HC must have, but Dan doesn't. It's just another area where DM is in over his head. He was a fine hire, but he's crapped out as a HC, it turns out he just doesn't have the skill set. time to move on.

+1

CadaverDawg
11-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Yea, I thought it was market as well.

BHildreth3
11-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Bottom line, we are paying 2.6 million for that embarrassing bullshit - it's unacceptable.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
You clowns are ridiculous. As the QB, it's Dak's job to know he can't take a sack in the 2-minute drill. It is literally the one unforgivable mistake of a QB in that situation. That's EXECUTION. If you can't understand that, I can't help you. And I absolutely want my HC to crawl the QB's ass if he does take the sack in that situation. Dak could have easily thrown it away, but instead chose to hold the ball too long trying to make something happen. It's a costly mistake by a young QB in his 2nd road start. But stop pretending you don't have an agenda if you want to blame a sack on coaching as opposed to execution.

I'd be willing to amend my statement about the burned TO as both on the players and coaches. Hell, take the 5 yard penalty, it's not worse than using the last TO.

There actually WAS time to clock it, if we hadn't had about 16 players on the field. Dak was already at the line about to take the snap, but Day couldn't snap it because about half the FG unit was on the field. By the time the fat linemen could waddle back off, there was no chance in hell to clock it.

I'm going to laugh my fat ass off when Blonde Jesus winds up being about the same as Mullen and you same assclowns are hollering for the Next Big Thing 5-6 years from now.

CadaverDawg
11-03-2013, 11:01 PM
There actually WAS time to clock it, if we hadn't had about 16 players on the field. Dak was already at the line about to take the snap, but Day couldn't snap it because about half the FG unit was on the field. By the time the fat linemen could waddle back off, there was no chance in hell to clock it.

You're wrong on this part^ WMD. We did not have time to clock it, go back and watch. Not even close.

As for the other parts, I think you need to distinguish between "blonde Jesus" and those of us that just feel like Mullen is spiraling. You try to act like anyone that doesn't think Mullen is getting it done is somehow claiming Hudspeth is a God that could never fail. That could not be further from the truth. Your trying to combine those is more silly than anyone saying Mullen isn't getting it done.

As for the sack...it was Dak's fault. But the poor play call on the following play, and the overall field goal team situation was all on Mullen. Period.

So please don't lump us all in to the same group when one person disagrees with you. You know most of us better than that.

FFF
11-03-2013, 11:04 PM
You clowns are ridiculous. As the QB, it's Dak's job to know he can't take a sack in the 2-minute drill. It is literally the one unforgivable mistake of a QB in that situation. That's EXECUTION. If you can't understand that, I can't help you. And I absolutely want my HC to crawl the QB's ass if he does take the sack in that situation. Dak could have easily thrown it away, but instead chose to hold the ball too long trying to make something happen. It's a costly mistake by a young QB in his 2nd road start. But stop pretending you don't have an agenda if you want to blame a sack on coaching as opposed to execution.

I'd be willing to amend my statement about the burned TO as both on the players and coaches. Hell, take the 5 yard penalty, it's not worse than using the last TO.

I'm going to laugh my fat ass off when Blonde Jesus winds up being about the same as Mullen and you same assclowns are hollering for the Next Big Thing 5-6 years from now.

Um...

1. I never once said that Dak taking the sack wasn't on him... as a matter of fact, I let it be strongly implied it was COMPLETELY on him. Not only that, the grounding was on Dak, too. But instead of crawling up everyone's ass for a minute and a half over a bad situation, why wasn't Mullen drawing up a plan and COMMUNICATING that plan to his players and assistants to... you know... try to win the game? To me, that's the most important objective when you have :13 on the clock in your opponents territory with 1 TO left. Not much margin for error when you are trying to... you know... win the game. But no... he just had to go on an all out rampage and it led to an absolute cluster ****.

2. I haven't once said anything about Hudspeth. Ever.

3. I would bet the farm on the fact Dak KNEW he couldn't take a sack there... but instead of saving addressing that in the film room and in meetings this week during game review and working on those things in practice, instead, he uses a valuable CHARGED 2 minutes in a close game and not far from a manageable scoring opportunity just crawling up Dak's ass and the referee's ass over what's already happened instead of... you know... trying to win the game? What's more important chewing someone out, or trying to win the game? I want my coach to try to win the damn football game.