PDA

View Full Version : One less fine dining place in Starkville.

starkvegasdawg
04-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Captain D's went up in flames this morning.

Extendedcab
04-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Damn, I remember when that place opened back when I was a student at State. A fish diner was was a nice break from eating burgers and pizza every day.

Todd4State
04-15-2020, 03:49 PM
This is truly sad day.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2020, 03:52 PM
https://y.yarn.co/18673fac-5997-4834-b4f1-f1daa6aa0500_text.gif

Leeshouldveflanked
04-15-2020, 03:52 PM
Well at least they made it thru Lent.

Todd4State
04-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Well at least they made it thru Lent.

True.

Johnson85
04-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Captain D's went up in flames this morning.

Going to be an insurance investigator studying the hell out of that fire...

More suspicious than when FLo & Edies went up in flames after a couple of years of Hunt Club undercutting them.

AROB44
04-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Never trusted what kind of fish I was getting at Capt D'S. Not sure it wasn't from Vietnam.

Todd4State
04-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Never trusted what kind of fish I was getting at Capt D'S. Not sure it wasn't from Vietnam.

I don't where it was from but it wasn't America. Their fish is probably why I haven't gotten Coronavirus.

AROB44
04-15-2020, 05:49 PM
I don't where it was from but it wasn't America. Their fish is probably why I haven't gotten Coronavirus.

Which is why I quit eating there. I want to know where is any seafood's country of origin before I consume it. Some foreign farm raised fish are really bad.

Todd4State
04-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Which is why I quit eating there. I want to know where is any seafood's country of origin before I consume it. Some foreign farm raised fish are really bad.

100% agree. I think Mississippi has the best catfish honestly and Louisiana has the best everything thing else as far as regional seafood goes. Oysters, shrimp, crawfish, alligator, redfish, speckled trout, etc.

I always want to know where the seafood came from.

basedog
04-15-2020, 08:34 PM

+1

It isn't just seafood and/or fish. I don't "fast food" either, just saying.

basedog
04-15-2020, 08:38 PM
100% agree. I think Mississippi has the best catfish honestly and Louisiana has the best everything thing else as far as regional seafood goes. Oysters, shrimp, crawfish, alligator, redfish, speckled trout, etc.

Yes to what u say. But there are no better Crab Cakes in America that is as good as Baltimore! Add clam crowder in the NE.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-15-2020, 10:34 PM
That's why I ordered only the chicken dinner. The sweet & sour sauce and the chicken was a great combo.

Dawgology
04-15-2020, 10:56 PM
Interesting because my ass went up in flames every time I ate there.

Hypnodawg
04-16-2020, 08:14 AM

I was in grad school when my roommate and I were discussing what to have for dinner. I said I've never eaten at the Captain D's up the street let's give that a shot. He said he had never eaten there either and wasn't sure why. After 8 hours of sitting on the toilet, we vowed to never try it again.

Johnson85
04-16-2020, 10:22 AM

No difference between Louisiana and Mississippi oysters that I can tell. I do like oysters better up the east coast.

Dawgology
04-16-2020, 10:29 AM
I was in grad school when my roommate and I were discussing what to have for dinner. I said I've never eaten at the Captain D's up the street let's give that a shot. He said he had never eaten there either and wasn't sure why. After 8 hours of sitting on the toilet, we vowed to never try it again.

My experience as well. I've eaten at a Capatin D's twice. Both times ended poorly hahah

Dawgology
04-16-2020, 10:31 AM

I could eat the hell out of some soft shell crab down in Manchac right now.

Extendedcab
04-16-2020, 12:37 PM

I can't stop laughing LOL LOL LOL LOL ROTFLMAO ... I went there when the place was still new back in the 77/78 timeframe and all was fine - no flaming ass. Apparently things changed significantly since then. LOL LOL LOL LOL ROTFLMAO ...

RocketDawg
04-16-2020, 07:53 PM

Don't restaurants have to post, or at least tell you if you ask, the point of origin of food items?

Red Clay Hills
04-16-2020, 09:39 PM

They don't call it Captain Disease for nothing....

Bothrops
04-16-2020, 09:47 PM
Don't restaurants have to post, or at least tell you if you ask, the point of origin of food items?

They have a sign on their menu that says some of their shit is from Vietnam. I admire their honesty.

Todd4State
04-16-2020, 11:52 PM
Yes to what u say. But there are no better Crab Cakes in America that is as good as Baltimore! Add clam crowder in the NE.

You're absolutely right! That's why I was careful with what I typed and made sure I said "regional" because I'm pretty sure Maine has better lobsters than Louisiana. Baltimore/Maryland for crabcakes and clams. Also the Pacific Northwest has some really good seafood- salmon, Rainbow Trout, King Crab, Snow Crab, and etc.

Todd4State
04-16-2020, 11:53 PM
No difference between Louisiana and Mississippi oysters that I can tell. I do like oysters better up the east coast.

The ones in Louisiana are bigger than Mississippi.

Todd4State
04-16-2020, 11:55 PM
They have a sign on their menu that says some of their shit is from Vietnam. I admire their honesty.

I wonder if that's required now? I will definitely say that any restaurant that has that their seafood- especially catfish and crawfish that come locally are more likely to get me back as a customer more frequently. I try to avoid Vietnamese catfish and seafood because the quality isn't as good and of course it won't be as fresh.

Mobile Bay
04-17-2020, 03:02 PM
If you guys are really into oysters you should check out so of the farmed ones coming out of Alabama. Ones like Murder Point and Point Aux Pins (I know I probably misspelled that). Auburn university really has engineered a better oyster.

Bothrops
04-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Louisiana and Mississippi harvest the same shellfish, gamefish and molluscs. Louisiana yields a lot more probably, but it's the same regional marine ecosystems.

RocketDawg
04-17-2020, 04:29 PM

Would they put the origin on the menu if it was required by law? Probably not.

Jacknut
04-17-2020, 05:11 PM
They don't call it Captain Disease for nothing....

Back in the '80s we called it Captain Grease. Nothing better to nurse a hangover! Greasy fish, hushpuppies, fries and a giant sweet tea. Ah, the memories...

Todd4State
04-18-2020, 04:35 AM
Louisiana and Mississippi harvest the same shellfish, gamefish and molluscs. Louisiana yields a lot more probably, but it's the same regional marine ecosystems.

The batter and seasoning in Louisiana makes a lot of the difference.

Bothrops
04-18-2020, 10:44 AM
The batter and seasoning in Louisiana makes a lot of the difference.

Definitely, unless you're on the coast.

starkvegasdawg
04-18-2020, 03:50 PM

It's not the size of the oyster but how you dip it.

Reunion Dog
04-19-2020, 06:35 PM
that place opened when i was in Jr. High @ Starkville Academy. Back in the day when it was new & clean... you couldn't get a seat to sit in. Food was great and service was great. Use to ask for extra crispers... the crunch part of the batter... Hwy 12 had just been 5 laned.

State82
04-20-2020, 09:18 PM

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.