PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Hurts

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 09:20 AM
He's not good.

He can't throw.

He's not close to even what Dak was in college.

Why in the hell are teams talking about taking him in the 1st 3 rounds?

I can't imagine what they are looking at.

He has no ability to go through progressions while collectively playing with 3 of the top 4 WR prospects in this year's NFL draft over the past 3 years of college. Lamb, Jeudy, & Ruggs

Jack Lambert
04-15-2020, 09:47 AM
Because he played for Alabama and Ok.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Because he played for Alabama and Ok.

Exactly. Shame on any NFL scouting department that falls for it

Irondawg
04-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Dak is probably helping him as well. While Dak was a more polished passer, Jalen has many of the same qualities Dak had. I'm not saying he's going to be a starting NFL QB but at worst he's a decent backup and a great locker room guy

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Dak is probably helping him as well. While Dak was a more polished passer, Jalen has many of the same qualities Dak had. I'm not saying he's going to be a starting NFL QB but at worst he's a decent backup and a great locker room guy

Yeah, those qualities are known as a 4th round pick

Lord McBuckethead
04-15-2020, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't draft him because of his choice of hairstyle at Alabama. That shows terrible decision making capabilities. Seriously, it looked like an elephant took a shit on his head.

Edited to add, he did decide to lose the hair at OK. So he at least had shown an ability to self reflect and then correct.

Political Hack
04-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Slash/Tebow/Taysom/Randel El/Hurts

FISHDAWG
04-15-2020, 11:12 AM
He's not good.

He can't throw.

He has no ability to go through progressions while collectively playing with 3 of the top 4 WR prospects in this year's NFL draft over the past 3 years of college. Lamb, Jeudy, & Ruggs

I think you've got this one figured wrong Gun ... he's talented and yes he can throw ... and run ... and win. He's better than Bradford or whoever the QB was there that got drafted a few years back

BB30
04-15-2020, 11:13 AM
Eh... Dude is a tremendous athlete. I am sure a team can figure out how to use him. Teams have started getting pretty creative with really good athletes that can throw it a bit.

TUSK
04-15-2020, 11:48 AM
I can't speak to how good Hurts was at Okie, but at Bammer, he was possibly the weakest link of the starting 22... We won several games in spite of him...

That being said, I really, really dug his commitment, athleticism, attitude, and character. If Barnett doesn't get knocked the eff out vs USCw, Jalen may have never started at Bammer...

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 11:51 AM
I think you've got this one figured wrong Gun ... he's talented and yes he can throw ... and run ... and win. He's better than Bradford or whoever the QB was there that got drafted a few years back

No chance he's better than Bradford. Absolutely no shot.

Bradford was twice the passer of Hurts. Not ever close

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Eh... Dude is a tremendous athlete. I am sure a team can figure out how to use him. Teams have started getting pretty creative with really good athletes that can throw it a bit.

I don't necissarily disagree with what you wrote here, but that's a 3rd or 4th round pick. Nothing close to a 1st

bulldawg28
04-15-2020, 11:52 AM
I can't speak to how good Hurts was at Okie, but at Bammer, he was possibly the weakest link of the starting 22... We won several games in spite of him...

That being said, I really, really dug his commitment, athleticism, attitude, and character. If Barnett doesn't get knocked the eff out vs USCw, Jalen may have never started at Bammer...

Barnett was terrible. If he was any good he could have easily gotten his job back.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 11:52 AM

Yup. Take off the helmets he wore & put on an NC State type helmet & he's a 4th round pick

The tools don't fit

R2Dawg
04-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Dude, you don't draft a guy in top 10 just because he is a good athlete, especially at QB. All these guys are great athletes. Ath playing QB in NFL don't usually pan out.

Goes back to he played at Bama and OK.

TUSK
04-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Barnett was terrible. If he was any good he could have easily gotten his job back.

I don't disagree, at all... But he did mail it in/quit after the USCw game...

Irondawg
04-15-2020, 12:39 PM
I agree - he's a 3rd -4th round pick. Anytime taking him in the 1st must have the scouts that talked Denver into taking Tebow first round employed

Cooterpoot
04-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Remember when everybody thought Baker Mayfield was great? Lol
NFL is desperate for QBs.

Turfdawg67
04-15-2020, 01:49 PM
He's not good.

He can't throw.

That gosh darn media again... proppin' up their favorites.

38843dawg
04-15-2020, 01:54 PM
I agree - he's a 3rd -4th round pick. Anytime taking him in the 1st must have the scouts that talked Denver into taking Tebow first round employed

This is exactly right ^^. He should be drafted in the 3rd round, but no higher.

Turfdawg67
04-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Yeah... looks like he was really hurting y'all.

https://i.postimg.cc/Pr2YJRbH/IMG-0729.jpg

bulldawg28
04-15-2020, 02:21 PM
I don't disagree, at all... But he did mail it in/quit after the USCw game...

If he quit after one game that proves my point.

TUSK
04-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Yeah... looks like he was really hurting y'all.

https://i.postimg.cc/Pr2YJRbH/IMG-0729.jpg

throw the IB/Post season numbers up....

TUSK
04-15-2020, 03:16 PM
If he quit after one game that proves my point.

Well done.

+1

smootness
04-15-2020, 03:34 PM
No chance he's better than Bradford. Absolutely no shot.

Bradford was twice the passer of Hurts. Not ever close

About 30% of being a good NFL QB is about how good of a passer you are.

smootness
04-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Hurts has clear limitations right now, but he has also improved tremendously since he's been in college. It would surprise me if he never becomes an NFL team's starting QB. He'll give himself a chance, and it also won't surprise me if he takes that opportunity and turns into a league-average QB.

I doubt he ever becomes great, but pretty good? I can see it.

Lamar Jackson was a horrific passer in college.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Can he play TE?

Big4Dawg
04-15-2020, 04:00 PM
Hurts has clear limitations right now, but he has also improved tremendously since he's been in college. It would surprise me if he never becomes an NFL team's starting QB. He'll give himself a chance, and it also won't surprise me if he takes that opportunity and turns into a league-average QB.

I doubt he ever becomes great, but pretty good? I can see it.

Lamar Jackson was a horrific passer in college.

Lamar Jackson was not a horrific passer in college lol. He was just average.

smootness
04-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Lamar Jackson was not a horrific passer in college lol. He was just average.

No, he was bad. His running ability opened things up and made it easier for him. But he was a bad thrower of the football.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 08:35 PM
No, he was bad. His running ability opened things up and made it easier for him. But he was a bad thrower of the football.

This isn't true at all.

You are basing likely 70% of your opinion on 1 game.

msstate7
04-15-2020, 09:27 PM
This isn't true at all.

You are basing likely 70% of your opinion on 1 game.

Espn qbr has Lamar his last year in their pass rating at 53.6. In the same category, hurts was at 84.7 this season. There's also a big difference between the 2 in traditional passer rating, 191.2 to 146.6

Big4Dawg
04-15-2020, 10:26 PM
Espn qbr has Lamar his last year in their pass rating at 53.6. In the same category, hurts was at 84.7 this season. There's also a big difference between the 2 in traditional passer rating, 191.2 to 146.6

53.6 was also top 25

msstate7
04-15-2020, 10:30 PM
53.6 was also top 25

It was, #23. Hurts was #5 this season

Big4Dawg
04-15-2020, 10:47 PM
It was, #23. Hurts was #5 this season

I never said anything about Hurts. I just said Lamar wasn't a bad passer in college.

msstate7
04-16-2020, 06:31 AM
I never said anything about Hurts. I just said Lamar wasn't a bad passer in college.

I don't really think either are very good passers. I just really don't see how shotgun comes up with Jackson is a good passer, bit hurts is terrible

ShotgunDawg
04-16-2020, 07:41 AM
I don't really think either are very good passers. I just really don't see how shotgun comes up with Jackson is a good passer, bit hurts is terrible

I'm still not sure Lamar is a good passer today but he's twice the ball carrier of Hurts.

Lamar does have better passing ingredients though. It's a cleaner release with more natural feel for the football.

As for their stats, I'm sure one guy playing with the best WRs and OL in the country and the other playing with Louisville talent has a good bit to do with that.

I don't like Hurts' talent.

BB30
04-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Dude, you don't draft a guy in top 10 just because he is a good athlete, especially at QB. All these guys are great athletes. Ath playing QB in NFL don't usually pan out.

Goes back to he played at Bama and OK.

Dudeeee... Did I say anything about being a top 10 overall pic? No, I believe he goes late in the 3rd rd. I didn't see top 10 overall mentioned anywhere in the thread? Reading comprehension bub.

I also didn't say anything about him playing qb exclusively. More like a Taysom Hill.

dantheman4248
04-16-2020, 12:52 PM

Hmmmm

ShotgunDawg
04-16-2020, 01:31 PM
Hmmmm

Good point. Dak would've gone higher without the DUI & a better OL in 2015.

Hurts has neither of those excuses. Dak should've been a 2nd round pick & would've been with the correct helmet

msstate7
04-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Saw this on saints' board...

% of uncatchably off-target throws targeting when an OPEN receiver 5-18 yards downfield in 2019:

Tua 4.3%
Hurts 5.0%
Burrow 5.1%
Love 14.1%
Herbert 18.1%

Not sure where it was lifted from or even if it's accurate, but found it interesting

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 07:19 AM
Saw this on saints' board...

% of uncatchably off-target throws targeting when an OPEN receiver 5-18 yards downfield in 2019:

Tua 4.3%
Hurts 5.0%
Burrow 5.1%
Love 14.1%
Herbert 18.1%

Not sure where it was lifted from or even if it's accurate, but found it interesting

Amazing that the 3 QBs with the best WRs in the country and that throw to wide open people are off target less

msstate7
04-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Amazing that the 3 QBs with the best WRs in the country and that throw to wide open people are off target less

I would think an open receiver is open whether he's good or not.

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 08:31 AM
I would think an open receiver is open whether he's good or not.

The best WRs are almost always the quickest, fastest, and most athletic, thus making their ability track down balls and create bigger room for accuracy error greater.

It's not hard to figure out. Give those 3 QBs MSU's WRs, and those numbers aren't near as good.

msstate7
04-17-2020, 08:38 AM
The best WRs are almost always the quickest, fastest, and most athletic, thus making their ability track down balls and create bigger room for accuracy error greater.

It's not hard to figure out. Give those 3 QBs MSU's WRs, and those numbers aren't near as good.

It had nothing to do with actually catching ball... just whether the ball was accurate to an open receiver. Again though, this stat could be totally bogus.

Ezsoil
04-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Yeah but they killed Dak over the DWI....that cost him 2 rounds ....look at the clowns taken ahead of him Lynch, Hackenberg, Brissett, and Cook .which were all jokes...

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Yeah but they killed Dak over the DWI....that cost him 2 rounds ....look at the clowns taken ahead of him Lynch, Hackenberg, Brissett, and Cook .which were all jokes...

No doubt. Dak was mis-evaluated. QB is the hardest position on the planet to evaluate

ShotgunDawg
04-17-2020, 08:45 AM
It had nothing to do with actually catching ball... just whether the ball was accurate to an open receiver. Again though, this stat could be totally bogus.

yes, but accuracy can depend on the the speed of the WRs. Think how many times you've seen an MSU QB overthrow a deep ball in the last 5 years. If we have Henry Ruggs, Waddle, or Jeudy, are those overthrown? The larger margin for error makes things look more accurate & that's not even considering the clean pocket they stand in due to 5 star OL

Okrastar1
04-17-2020, 09:45 AM
Everyone is so damn enamored with the thought of finding the next Taysom Hill thanks to the Saints. If a team picks a Jalen Hurts over a Lynn Bowden Jr.(UK) it just shows how crazy some of these reaches are in the draft. Draft rounds 1-4 are where you are trying to get your surefire prospects who are starters, not your random reach players who will Never play QB in the NFL. Jalen is a great Athlete and a great dude but just not a QB in the NFL to say the least.