PDA

View Full Version : Lovett To FSU...

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 05:58 PM
At least we won't have to play against him (not that it would matter)

Hopefully he's not eligible unless that 1 free transfer rule passes(if the 1 free transfer rule passes, my ban bet is off due to unfair and unforeseen circumstances)

Moving further from home and basically used a nothing burger as his out.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-13-2020, 06:06 PM
You have a ban bet that he's not going to get eligibility over Leach's tweet?

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 06:11 PM

yes

mparkerfd20
04-13-2020, 06:16 PM
Bye 17er. Glad you're someone else's problem now.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-13-2020, 06:18 PM
yes

Rip

msbulldog
04-13-2020, 06:20 PM
Wish him luck, hope he realizes all his daddy's dreams.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Rip

We'll see. He may very well be granted eligibility, but I think granting him eligibility off of a factually non-racist tweet that some found offensive, would open up Pandora's box for the NCAA

We'll see

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Wish him luck, hope he realizes all his daddy's dreams.

I bet diddy already has FSU shirts, bumper stickers, & a flag on the front porch

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Bye 17er. Glad you're someone else's problem now.

Definitely. Is he takes that Moorhead work ethic with him he will be out of FSU within a season anyway

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Definitely. Is he takes that Moorhead work ethic with him he will be out of FSU within a season anyway

He was 1 of the hardest workers in off season work this spring. He wore a black shirt all off season.

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 06:27 PM
He was 1 of the hardest workers in off season work this spring. He wore a black shirt all off season.

So then he legit left over the tweet?!?!

BeardoMSU
04-13-2020, 06:33 PM
Rip

https://media.giphy.com/media/3lxx3JNNH4MaFfgBIC/giphy.gif

confucius say
04-13-2020, 06:57 PM
I think it's best if everybody just moves on. Him and us. He hasn't wanted to be here since at least December 5 (his words, not mine). Good luck to the kid.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 06:58 PM
I think it's best if everybody just moves on. Him and us. He hasn't wanted to be here since at least December 5 (his words, not mine). Good luck to the kid.

Why December 5th?

What happened then?

bobcat91
04-13-2020, 07:08 PM
His dad is a cancer. Never liked us and always wanted his son out of state. Talented guy but we are both better off.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Why December 5th?

What happened then?

A tweet from him

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Good riddance. Hope he has the game winning sack against Florida.

Pretty funny if he left us over a "racist" tweet to go to a school that's mascot is just as non-PC.

bulldawg28
04-13-2020, 08:03 PM
yes

You better get your post in now. The media will ensure he's eligible this fall.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 08:15 PM

I'm trying to figure out the racium behind that tweet. Is it the hangman's noose? If so that is reaching and really assinie.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 08:20 PM
I'm trying to figure out the racium behind that tweet. Is it the hangman's noose? If so that is reaching and really assinie.

There isn't any factual racism behind the tweet. Only unintended offensiveness.

Fields had FACTUAL racism behind what happened to him.

It's why he won't be eligible.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 08:22 PM

Pretty funny if he left us over a "racist" tweet to go to a school that's mascot is just as non-PC.

How will he reconcile the fsu mascot in his mind. Things that make you go hmmmm.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 08:29 PM
You better get your post in now. The media will ensure he's eligible this fall.

You are probably right. But I think a lot of it will depend on whether we fight immediate eligibility. If we want to, we can drag out the kid's past comments about wishing he never came here and how he was unhappy even back in 2019. The twitter screenshots are floating around. There is also one about two weeks before he entered the portal where he retweeted a joke meme of a rope or noose (can't remember which) around an old lady's neck.

But I'm confident Cohen will not oppose any immediate eligibility request. Not sure he even could after the stance he took.

DownwardDawg
04-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Glad his weak minded ass is gone. Not tough enough for the SEC.

Homedawg
04-13-2020, 08:42 PM
There isn't any factual racism behind the tweet. Only unintended offensiveness.

Fields had FACTUAL racism behind what happened to him.

It's why he won't be eligible.

I'd live for you to be right. But I don't think you will be. I bet he's eligible immediately no matter

confucius say
04-13-2020, 08:51 PM
I'd live for you to be right. But I don't think you will be. I bet he's eligible immediately no matter

I'm guessing they still ask the school from which the player is transferring whether it opposes immediate eligibility, right?

R2Dawg
04-13-2020, 09:03 PM

Yeah but that is OK, the offending is always one way street.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 09:19 PM
You are probably right. But I think a lot of it will depend on whether we fight immediate eligibility. If we want to, we can drag out the kid's past comments about wishing he never came here and how he was unhappy even back in 2019. The twitter screenshots are floating around. There is also one about two weeks before he entered the portal where he retweeted a joke meme of a rope or noose (can't remember which) around an old lady's neck.

But I'm confident Cohen will not oppose any immediate eligibility request. Not sure he even could after the stance he took.

I think Cohen has to block it to some degree because, if he doesn't, he telling every kid in our program that we'll support a transfer, no matter how hideous the reason.

Cohen's job is to do what in the best interest of MSU.

Ari Gold
04-13-2020, 09:28 PM

Not that it matters, but I heard the complete opposite

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 09:32 PM

We'll agree to disagree.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 10:18 PM
How will he reconcile the fsu mascot in his mind. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Yeah but that is OK, the offending is always one way street.

The hilarious thing is he and his Dad probably wouldn't get it if you told them.

I think you're right. He'll be eligible but I don't really care.

I think Cohen has to block it to some degree because, if he doesn't, he telling every kid in our program that we'll support a transfer, no matter how hideous the reason.

That's only going to magnify this issue. I don't think Cohen is great at PR but I highly doubt he would do that. Just let the guy go and let this whole thing die. He or his Dad doesn't want to be here and I don't want people like that on our team. You talk about culture issues- and that's a recipe for disaster.

We'll agree to disagree.

I'll just say this- just because you excel in the gym and at working out it doesn't mean that you excel as a football player and doing football related things. He may have worn a black shirt but I have a hard time believing that he wasn't an issue or going to be an issue if he stayed.

1bigdawg
04-13-2020, 10:28 PM
He is a talented guy and I hate to lose him, but there is no hole in the water where he once was.

maroonmania
04-13-2020, 10:43 PM

Cohen won't have a leg to stand on trying to block it given his statement throwing Leach under the bus for his 'insensitivity' and saying how disappointed he was in Leach. If anything, Cohen provided great ammunition for anyone leaving our program now and wanting immediate eligibility. That is one of the many reasons Cohen should have just kept his big mouth shut on a story that had already pretty much died out.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 10:43 PM
He's a NFL talent. I don't like losing those. We don't have enough talent for it not to hurt. He's gone now so someone will have to step up but acting like losing him won't hurt is naive.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 10:45 PM
Cohen won't have a leg to stand on trying to block it given his statement throwing Leach under the bus for his 'insensitivity' and saying how disappointed he was in Leach. If anything, Cohen provided great ammunition for anyone leaving our program now and wanting immediate eligibility. That is one of the many reasons Cohen should have just kept his big mouth shut on a story that had already pretty much died out.

Even if Cohen hadn't said anything schools don't block kids anymore. The bad publicity is never worth it.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 11:15 PM
Even if Cohen hadn't said anything schools don't block kids anymore. The bad publicity is never worth it.

Don't block from transferring or you mean dont oppose immediate eligibility?

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 11:21 PM
He's a NFL talent. I don't like losing those. We don't have enough talent for it not to hurt. He's gone now so someone will have to step up but acting like losing him won't hurt is naive.

Is he going to bring his Dad to the NFL with him?

Kind of doubt it.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 11:22 PM

I wouldn't block the transfer if I was Cohen but knowing me I'd definitely point out to the NCAA that he went to a school with a Native American as a mascot if he plays the "insensitive tweet card".

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 11:27 PM
Don't block from transferring or you mean dont oppose immediate eligibility?

Neither. Not like it matters that rule is passing in another month.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-13-2020, 11:28 PM
Is he going to bring his Dad to the NFL with him?

Kind of doubt it.

Yea he can be his manager. Fact remains he will be a NFL player.

defiantdog
04-14-2020, 12:18 AM
Pickering better step up now

ZedFedder
04-14-2020, 12:32 AM
I think Pickering is up to the challenge.

dantheman4248
04-14-2020, 12:50 AM
Yea he can be his manager. Fact remains he will be a NFL player.

NFL is more than talent. Have to have insane work ethic, not be a distraction, etc.

His talent isn't enough to overcome some of those shortcomings. Make no mistake that leaving over this tweet is something that owners/gm's/coaches will remember come draft time and will take him from fringe NFL guy to why even both rostering him. Not worth the headache. Michael Sam is a prime example of this and his "character issues" weren't even something egregious. Kaepernick is another. (Not downplaying their character, just saying that for the NFL they're labeled as distractions and that's another obstacle they must overcome to be worth it to a team.)

TUSK
04-14-2020, 01:49 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3lxx3JNNH4MaFfgBIC/giphy.gif

Man... I never thought I'd feel sorry for FSU....

Wha?

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/florida-gators/florida-state-seminoles/2017-09-03/report-knee-injury-sidelines-fsu-qb-deondre

Caveat: if that's "too soon" for ya, I'll come to your crib and set it afire... well, as soon as you city folk get over that CoronaShit...

FISHDAWG
04-14-2020, 07:07 AM

there is a point of diminishing return ... hate to lose the talent but glad a potential locker room issue may have been averted ... a disgruntled player is usually contagious to a certain extent

StateDawg44
04-14-2020, 07:13 AM
To refresh:

Want to make a ban bet?

If he gets immediate eligibility, then I'll take a break for a month & if he doesn't you take a break for month.

You in?

I think Fields getting eligible was pretty weak by the NCAA & this fall WAAAYY below that. I think he sits

Actually, I know I said I don't care about making this bet in my other post in another one of your threads. I'll go and edit that out so that there isn't any sort of confusion.

But YES. Let's do this. Mark it for the record.

No posting for you for a month if he DOES get immediate eligibility as long as he goes to a D1 school.

No posting for me for a month if he DOES NOT get immediate eligibility as long as he goes to a D1 school.

Sounds good.

You're on!

The ban bet is on if Lovett gets immediate eligibility based on Leach's comments.

Wait, the NCAA never even said the reason Fields got immediate eligibility is because of the racist fan screaming at them did they? Correct me if I'm wrong.

This post comes across as the equivalent of fine print like you will flake on the bet if it's not announced that the reason he left is because of Leach's comment.

It's either he is granted immediate eligibility at a D1 school or he isn't.

Ok. we'll go black & white. Eligible or not eligible it is

Is that a racist comment!!!**

Deal.

Let Pipedream be our witness.

------

Where we are at now:

At least we won't have to play against him (not that it would matter)

Hopefully he's not eligible unless that 1 free transfer rule passes(if the 1 free transfer rule passes, my ban bet is off due to unfair and unforeseen circumstances)

Moving further from home and basically used a nothing burger as his out.

So, in other words, you are already trying to find a way to welch on your bet?

We did not agree to that. You even laid the original bet out and didn't include any of that. Now after we agree you are adding some loop-hole for you to get out of it? That's about what I figured.

When betting on sports, star players get hurt all the time. Do you get to call your local bookie up and say, "But the QB got hurt first play of the game and he forgives your bet?" No need to answer that question.

Look at the transfer rule as an injured star player or as you call it an "unforeseen circumstance"

You made the bet and then tried to add some fine print before. Now after the bet is made you are trying again.

A bet is a bet. And we laid it out very clearly and you agreed to it a second time even.

Next time don't write a check that your ass can't cash if you aren't going to play the game.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 07:36 AM
To refresh:

------

Where we are at now:

So, in other words, you are already trying to find a way to welch on your bet?

We did not agree to that. You even laid the original bet out and didn't include any of that. Now after we agree you are adding some loop-hole for you to get out of it? That's about what I figured.

When betting on sports, star players get hurt all the time. Do you get to call your local bookie up and say, "But the QB got hurt first play of the game and he forgives your bet?" No need to answer that question.

Look at the transfer rule as an injured star player or as you call it an "unforeseen circumstance"

You made the bet and then tried to add some fine print before. Now after the bet is made you are trying again.

A bet is a bet. And we laid it out very clearly and you agreed to it a second time even.

Next time don't write a check that your ass can't cash if you aren't going to play the game.

We'll need an arbitrator on this.

I'm perfectly willing to fulfill the bet provided new legislation doesn't completely nullify the premise in which the bet was made.

That legislation passing just kind of destroys the entire point of the bet.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-14-2020, 08:45 AM

I'm not saying there is. But he's clearly already won in the court of public opinion. Or at least media opinion.

confucius say
04-14-2020, 09:01 AM
Neither. Not like it matters that rule is passing in another month.

Nah, I think A lot of schools still oppose immediate eligibility. Otherwise, there'd not even be a need for this new one free transfer legislation.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Nah, I think A lot of schools still oppose immediate eligibility. Otherwise, there'd not even be a need for this new one free transfer legislation.

Schools don't typically oppose it but the NCAA weren't just giving get out of jail free cards to everybody. The kids still needed somewhat legit reasons to get immediately eligible.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 09:16 AM
Schools don't typically oppose it but the NCAA weren't just giving get out of jail free cards to everybody. The kids still needed somewhat legit reasons to get immediately eligible.

"legitimate reasons" are what he lacks.

Particularly when moving further away from home

confucius say
04-14-2020, 09:28 AM

Did saban end up caving on that kid that transferred to Georgia a year or so ago? Tusk?

Jarius
04-14-2020, 09:34 AM
I believe he should be eligible immediately simply because I believe that everyone should get 1 free transfer. Their coaches can leave at the drop of the hat but they are forced to sit out a year if they find a better opportunity? That is BS. If he uses the ridiculous idea that the joke was racist to get eligible then whatever. It wasn't racist and anyone that thinks it was is an idiot, but he should be eligible for other reasons and none of that should matter.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Did saban end up caving on that kid that transferred to Georgia a year or so ago? Tusk?

That had nothing to do with eligibility. That was due to Saban actually blocking the kid's ability to transfer to UGA, which I don't believe is legal anymore.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 09:49 AM
I believe he should be eligible immediately simply because I believe that everyone should get 1 free transfer. Their coaches can leave at the drop of the hat but they are forced to sit out a year if they find a better opportunity?

I understand your opinion & logically it makes some sense.

However, I am extremely against this rule passing as in practice it will give more power to the players & take away from the coaches & that is a BAD thing. It's reduces the ability of the coaching staff to develop accountability, work ethic, responsibility, etc.

While I understand the logic of what you're saying, in practice it will have a negative effect on college athletics & most of all it will hurt the lives of the majority of players

Jarius
04-14-2020, 09:58 AM
I understand your opinion & logically it makes some sense.

However, I am extremely against this rule passing as in practice it will give more power to the players & take away from the coaches & that is a BAD thing. It's reduces the ability of the coaching staff to develop accountability, work ethic, responsibility, etc.

While I understand the logic of what you're saying, in practice it will have a negative effect on college athletics & most of all it will hurt the lives of the majority of players

I get that as well. I also think it will be bad for MSU, but overall I think it's better for the athlete even with what you mentioned.

maroonmania
04-14-2020, 11:27 AM
I believe he should be eligible immediately simply because I believe that everyone should get 1 free transfer. Their coaches can leave at the drop of the hat but they are forced to sit out a year if they find a better opportunity? That is BS. If he uses the ridiculous idea that the joke was racist to get eligible then whatever. It wasn't racist and anyone that thinks it was is an idiot, but he should be eligible for other reasons and none of that should matter.

What I would like to see is players that have a reason to transfer due to lack of playing time to be able to transfer with immediate eligibility (say maybe participated in less than a certain percentage of snaps in football or time in basketball or innings in baseball). Those student athletes have a real legitimate reason to want to transfer. A guy that is a star at one school and then you allow him to immediately transfer somewhere else would seem to set up a lot of potential back room deals where elite programs with 'networks' can snatch away players from lesser programs when they want them. Heck, NFL coaches can change jobs and be hired away as well, but after NFL players sign contracts with teams I don't see the NFL letting every player essentially be a free agent again at the end of the next season to see if they can now get a better deal somewhere else. I mean I don't have an issue with the guys that transferred off our basketball team this year due to lack of playing time and would have no issue if they were immediately eligible, but we lost Newman and Kegler so they could get better 'deals' somewhere else and that is WITH sitting out a year. I'm just a little leary of things getting into total chaos if everybody can transfer with out sitting out. Everyone has the option to transfer now they just have to sit out the year which actually doesn't even cost them a year of eligibility if they haven't already redshirted.

BiscuitEater
04-14-2020, 01:17 PM
Why December 5th?

What happened then?

No early Christmas gift

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 01:54 PM
I get that as well. I also think it will be bad for MSU, but overall I think it's better for the athlete even with what you mentioned.

I disagree.

Would we occasionally lose a player to Bama or LSU? Maybe.

But I think we'd gain far more from Louisiana Tech, USM, UAB, Troy, Memphis, ect. than we'd lose. It would actually help build depth & put a more complete roster on the field every year.

I know everyone thinks of the worst case scenario as it pertains to MSU, but I actually think it would be better for MSU.

That being said, I don't like the intangible problems it would create, most of which being that we'd have less coachable players.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 01:57 PM
What I would like to see is players that have a reason to transfer due to lack of playing time to be able to transfer with immediate eligibility (say maybe participated in less than a certain percentage of snaps in football or time in basketball or innings in baseball)..

This is the correct answer & the one that would create the best situation for schools & the player.

Hopefully, the smart people can figure out how to accomplish this.

Maybe a rule that states, if you are not an announced starter in at least 4 games, you can transfer without sitting out a year

TUSK
04-14-2020, 07:46 PM
It was an existing SEC rule that Saban was enforcing.

Todd4State
04-14-2020, 11:16 PM
I disagree.

Would we occasionally lose a player to Bama or LSU? Maybe.

But I think we'd gain far more from Louisiana Tech, USM, UAB, Troy, Memphis, ect. than we'd lose. It would actually help build depth & put a more complete roster on the field every year.

I know everyone thinks of the worst case scenario as it pertains to MSU, but I actually think it would be better for MSU.

That being said, I don't like the intangible problems it would create, most of which being that we'd have less coachable players.

I doubt we're going to lose a lot of players to Alabama and LSU. You think Kylin Hill could just go start for Bama right now? Nope. Those teams have to have a need and an opening because guys that are already starting aren't going to be real wild about competing for a job when they're trying to get to the NFL. A National Title ring for sitting on the bench isn't going to mean much for them.

We're going to benefit more I think because we typically have more immediate needs than the blue bloods. In the past Costello probably would have to turn pro because of the grad school situation at Stanford and Lashley would probably have to go to Alcorn or JSU because of the old rules. CJ Bolar wouldn't even be an option for us. Now all of those guy are or possibly are going to help us out. In the past we would just have holes and could only use JUCO to fill them. Or we wouldn't fill them at all because our current options on the team would be better than what we could get in JUCO depending on the year and the situation.

bulldawg28
04-15-2020, 01:27 AM
I doubt we're going to lose a lot of players to Alabama and LSU. You think Kylin Hill could just go start for Bama right now? Nope. Those teams have to have a need and an opening because guys that are already starting aren't going to be real wild about competing for a job when they're trying to get to the NFL. A National Title ring for sitting on the bench isn't going to mean much for them.

We're going to benefit more I think because we typically have more immediate needs than the blue bloods. In the past Costello probably would have to turn pro because of the grad school situation at Stanford and Lashley would probably have to go to Alcorn or JSU because of the old rules. CJ Bolar wouldn't even be an option for us. Now all of those guy are or possibly are going to help us out. In the past we would just have holes and could only use JUCO to fill them. Or we wouldn't fill them at all because our current options on the team would be better than what we could get in JUCO depending on the year and the situation.

I agree. The new potential transfer rule would help us. It's almost as if you would want to be in the final two options for a player and stay in touch for the 1st year of college. Ala Hugh Freeze. If that player is unhappy with playing time you slide right in on that potential transfer.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 07:08 AM
I agree. The new potential transfer rule would help us. It's almost as if you would want to be in the final two options for a player and stay in touch for the 1st year of college. Ala Hugh Freeze. If that player is unhappy with playing time you slide right in on that potential transfer.

That just destroys any chance the coach has of coaching.

FISHDAWG
04-15-2020, 07:17 AM
That just destroys any chance the coach has of coaching.

not if they can't transfer again - unless it's down a division...... reminds me of Army boot camp, when you know you have no other alternative then conforming comes much easier.
Maybe it destroys the players chance of playing instead of the coaches chance to coach.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 07:30 AM
not if they can't transfer again - unless it's down a division...... reminds me of Army boot camp, when you know you have no other alternative then conforming comes much easier.
Maybe it destroys the players chance of playing instead of the coaches chance to coach.

Those first two years of college are the two most impressionable years of someone's life IMO. Kids getting pissed off and transferring at that time isn't healthy for anyone.

FISHDAWG
04-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Those first two years of college are the two most impressionable years of someone's life IMO. Kids getting pissed off and transferring at that time isn't healthy for anyone.

I agree but like Todd said earlier - I also think it would benefit us more than it would hurt us .... just limit it to a one time transfer per eligibility and make it permanent (excepting the current family hardship thing) - that way they know they are going to have to make it work

maroonmania
04-15-2020, 05:22 PM

I just don't get it, players can transfer now all they want. The inconvenience of having to sit out a year is the ONLY thing that keeps it from being a total free agency free for all. I just don't believe removing that one year sit out is worth the trouble you will cause without it.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2020, 05:25 PM
I just don't get it, players can transfer now all they want. The inconvenience of having to sit out a year is the ONLY thing that keeps it from being a total free agency free for all. I just don't believe removing that one year sit out is worth the trouble you will cause without it.

Completely agree