PDA

View Full Version : NFL Drafts - QB

parabrave
04-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Would you draft Tua in the 1st round knowing that he is injury prone, hip, ankle, wrist and god know what else.? Me I wouldn't. All I can think of is Sam Bradford who when he could play was a very good QB but was on the IL about half his career. Now I would rather draft one of Bamas Receivers in a heartbeat.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 11:56 AM
I probably would. He will be more protected in the NFL. I think the NFL is just better at keeping guys healthy. I remember Patrick Willis when he was at Ole Miss stayed hurt but when he got to the NFL he was a beast.

msstate7
04-13-2020, 12:02 PM
According to where you picking, I wouldn't hesitate outside top 10

Johnson85
04-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Would you draft Tua in the 1st round knowing that he is injury prone, hip, ankle, wrist and god know what else.? Me I wouldn't. All I can think of is Sam Bradford who when he could play was a very good QB but was on the IL about half his career. Now I would rather draft one of Bamas Receivers in a heartbeat.

Would be hard for me to spend a first round pick, or at least an early or midround one, on a QB ho got to play behind a good line and with great wide receivers and still was banged up pretty consistently.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 12:12 PM
According to where you picking, I wouldn't hesitate outside top 10

This....

I am annoyed though at how the media is trying to prop Tua up though.

I admit that Tua is really good, but I've never been a fan.

Here is why:

1. I don't think he's an independent man: his dad decided where he went to college, not Tua. Very coddled.
2. I think he sensationalizes his injuries for sympathy & as an excuse for losing. I think it's a learned, non-voluntary behavior that he developed at a young age to get his dad off his back. Wait till he's limping all over the field in the NFL after being barely touched & down in the game.
3. I think he's brittle. Just can't take hits.

smootness
04-13-2020, 12:22 PM
I probably would. He will be more protected in the NFL. I think the NFL is just better at keeping guys healthy. I remember Patrick Willis when he was at Ole Miss stayed hurt but when he got to the NFL he was a beast.

? He missed one college game, was a 2x All-American and won the Butkus Award.

He had a broken hand in college, but he played through it...and then had to wear a cast on his hand 3 separate times in the NFL. He also retired at 30 partially due to too much wear and tear on his body.

smootness
04-13-2020, 12:23 PM
I'd take him around 20 or later, but not before that.

KentuckyDawg13
04-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Tommy Stevens! *

Tbonewannabe
04-13-2020, 02:14 PM
I would take him middle to back end of the first as long as all the medical stuff is given the thumbs up. I read that two teams have eliminated him from consideration in the first. Guys are liking QB from Oregon over Tua.

My big thing is that he always had a premier oline and WRS. What will he look like when he doesn't have a talent advantage?

Turfdawg67
04-13-2020, 02:37 PM
This....

I am annoyed though at how the media is trying to prop Tua up though.

I admit that Tua is really good, but I've never been a fan.

Here is why:

1. I don't think he's an independent man: his dad decided where he went to college, not Tua. Very coddled.
2. I think he sensationalizes his injuries for sympathy & as an excuse for losing. I think it's a learned, non-voluntary behavior that he developed at a young age to get his dad off his back. Wait till he's limping all over the field in the NFL after being barely touched & down in the game.
3. I think he's brittle. Just can't take hits.

That gosh darn media again...

FISHDAWG
04-13-2020, 03:40 PM

I think he's probably worth taking a chance on (even with first round money) if Burroughs is already gone and you're looking for a QB

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 04:05 PM
That gosh darn media again...

They absolutely prop up some of their favorites. See Tim Tebow.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Answer to the question- no. And I wouldn't take him in the first round. Personally I wouldn't take him at all. I think he's too injury prone and the NFL refs aren't going to let his offensive line hold people all day.

parabrave
04-13-2020, 09:48 PM
If it came down to TUA and Hurts who would you pick? Of course if I was picking it would be Vontae Mack***

Turfdawg67
04-13-2020, 09:52 PM
They absolutely prop up some of their favorites. See Tim Tebow.

Who are "they"? Do 1000's of reporters gather in a room and collectively decide who their favorites are so they can prop them up? Or do you just notice the press more because you don't think the individual is worthy?

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 10:21 PM
Who are "they"? Do 1000's of reporters gather in a room and collectively decide who their favorites are so they can prop them up? Or do you just notice the press more because you don't think the individual is worthy?

"They" are people on ESPN and in the press.

If you don't think the media plays favorites with players I don't know what to tell you. Look at the Heisman Trophy.

I thought Tebow was good in college. I also didn't think he would make it in the NFL because he wasn't accurate enough as a passer. Some of the media disagreed and they were wrong.

Turfdawg67
04-13-2020, 11:48 PM
There were just as many media people calling McDaniels a moron for drafting him so high, especially people like Kiper. Tebow was a polarizing personality who sold papers and encouraged clicks so he got a ton of press. Not all were propping him up to be the next Elway or even a first round pick.

38843dawg
04-14-2020, 01:25 AM

You absolutely take him in the first round. I think the real question is do you take him in the top 10? With the way teams are restricted right now due to COVID-19, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tua as the 3rd QB taken with Herbert being the 2nd. What is going to hurt Tua is the fact that teams are not going to be able to clear him medically and are going to have to trust Tua's "team". With the amount of money that is spent today on top drafted guys, some teams are not going to be comfortable with that idea.

Do you take Tua in the first round, absolutely; do you take Tua in the top 10, I don't know. At the end of the day, if you take a QB you don't know what you are getting. There are no certainties when drafting a QB of what you are getting. I would guarantee you though that Tua will not fall past the 15th pick.

TUSK
04-14-2020, 04:52 AM
Tua didn't get hurt so often/exclusively to "fragility"... It was because he refused to give up on plays when he could just chunk the ball in the 3rd row... He gave himself up unnecessarily...

That being said, he also made a few plays due to the same 'tude.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2020, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't take him until mid to late 1st round. It's not because I think Herbert/Love are better because a healthy Tua is 10x the QB any of those guys are at this point. However, Tua has significant injury history and if I'm taking a QB without my team doctors being able to see him then I'm taking Herbert/Love or I'm trading back into the mid to late 1st and seeing if he drops. Top 10 money is a lot to commit to someone who has significant injury history.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2020, 09:53 AM
Tua didn't get hurt so often/exclusively to "fragility"... It was because he refused to give up on plays when he could just chunk the ball in the 3rd row... He gave himself up unnecessarily...

I respectfully disagree. He can't take a hit. We've all seen it & actually have very little bias towards or against him.

Jarius
04-14-2020, 10:00 AM
If I were Washington I would take him. I think he is going to be an excellent NFL quarterback. They can't even get hit in the NFL any more. It's basically flag football. I think he's tougher than people give him credit for. If he falls to the 20s I pray the Saints get him. I don't see how on earth he will fall past the Dolphins though.

Coach34
04-14-2020, 10:06 AM
Probably not. There is no way you draft him in the top half of the 1st- and most of the bottom half already has a QB so they need something else to fit needs.

Cincy is 1st on the clock and there is no way they dont take Burrow. If I'm the Dolphins with my 3 1st round picks- I try to see if Cincy will bite for another 1st round pick. Give Cincy the 5th and 18th overall picks to move up to #1. Would Cincy drop to 5 to get Tua, Herbert, or Love?

Coach34
04-14-2020, 10:07 AM
If I were Washington I would take him. I think he is going to be an excellent NFL quarterback. They can't even get hit in the NFL any more. It's basically flag football. I think he's tougher than people give him credit for. If he falls to the 20s I pray the Saints get him. I don't see how on earth he will fall past the Dolphins though.

Washington literally drafted a QB in the 1st round last year. No way they do it again

HoopsDawg
04-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Tua will be a top 5 pick and there is no doubt about it.

Jarius
04-14-2020, 11:28 AM
Washington literally drafted a QB in the 1st round last year. No way they do it again

I'm aware of who they drafted and I'm aware that they won't do it again. They will wish they did in 2 years from now though IMO. I expect Haskin to be a bust.

smootness
04-14-2020, 11:47 AM
Probably not. There is no way you draft him in the top half of the 1st- and most of the bottom half already has a QB so they need something else to fit needs.

Cincy is 1st on the clock and there is no way they dont take Burrow. If I'm the Dolphins with my 3 1st round picks- I try to see if Cincy will bite for another 1st round pick. Give Cincy the 5th and 18th overall picks to move up to #1. Would Cincy drop to 5 to get Tua, Herbert, or Love?

The 18th pick is definitely not enough to move from 1 to 5. I don't think Cincy will move down anyway.

Coach34
04-14-2020, 12:25 PM
The 18th pick is definitely not enough to move from 1 to 5. I don't think Cincy will move down anyway.

I wouldnt if I was them- Burrow is the real deal. But it would be tempting if you viewed one of the other QB's to be close to Burrow. Getting another top-notch guy in Round 1 helps a shitty franchise for sure. And of course if I was the Dolphins- I'd throw some shit at them to try and get Burrow

Todd4State
04-14-2020, 12:31 PM

It didn't help that Saban played him hurt.

Regardless players have to be able to take those kinds of hits and worse in the NFL.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2020, 12:51 PM
I wouldnt if I was them- Burrow is the real deal. But it would be tempting if you viewed one of the other QB's to be close to Burrow. Getting another top-notch guy in Round 1 helps a shitty franchise for sure. And of course if I was the Dolphins- I'd throw some shit at them to try and get Burrow

If Burrow wasn't a sure fire NFL starter who also happens to be from Ohio, I could see the Bengals making that move. You could trade back and if you love Tua then you take him at #5 and be able to grab someone like Henry Ruggs at #18. If not you take Herbert/Love and take a Ruggs type player still at #18 to surround your QB. However, none of that matters because the Bengals are taking Burrow.

I think the more interesting question could be IF Tua starts falling does Bellichick jump up and make a move somewhere around 11 or 12 to grab him.

And hell, as crazy as Bill O'Brien has been he may offer Deshaun Watson straight up to the Bengals for the 1st overall pick.

TUSK
04-14-2020, 08:54 PM
I respectfully disagree. He can't take a hit. We've all seen it & actually have very little bias towards or against him.

No worries buddy... I've seen him take a lot of hits...

My point is that when he has gotten hurt, it was when he was tryin' to extend plays he might should have aborted.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Burrow reminds me a little of Brees in the fact that he absolutely mastered an offensive system, and was very accurate with the ball. The tools don't necessarily excite you, but he absolutely mastered the X's and O's. Combine that with accuracy and you've got a big time QB. All of the great QB's can beat you with their mind and their knowledge of their system. Manning didn't have the physical tools of Ryan Leaf. Brady didn't have the physical tools of Jamarcus Russell. But their ability to be leaders, be accurate with the ball, and know the X's and O's better than the damn coaches is what makes the difference.

Jarius
04-23-2020, 07:59 PM

Ahem