PDA

View Full Version : Will the Media Allow Sports to Start Back?

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 10:36 AM
I think Chris Brooks made a great point this morning(one is his few).

He argued that the "if one player gets sick, shut the league down" standard is too high and unattainable. Thus, the media won't allow sports to start back when the risk is even minimal.

We have health care workers being laid off across the country due to lack of business and yet here we are: shut down.

Will the media allow sports to start back?

I don't think it's reasonable to see a safe vaccine till the Fall of 2021, but the world simply can't wait that long.

What's the compromise here?

Let's not make this political. Just purely a thread on how to keep the sports media from being vulture "gotcha" people when things kick back up.

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 10:38 AM
lol at blaming the media. Good grief

msstate7
04-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Let's see what happens when we start back up, soon. If there isn't a mass outbreak, the media won't be able to stop em imo

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Exactly. The owners and decision makers in sports have too much money on the line.

Stop claiming the media is to blame. The media caused a rush on toliet paper and hand sanitizer, but it didn't shut down sports.

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Exactly. The owners and decision makers in sports have too much money on the line.

Stop claiming the media is to blame. The media caused a rush on toliet paper and hand sanitizer, but it didn't shut down sports.

If you don't believe the media will go crazy over a college athlete or coach getting Covid-19 once everything starts back up then you are just burying your head in the sand. If you can't see how the media has manipulated this thing then you are just in denial. Believing in a benevolent, altruistic media is just as stupid as believing in a benevolent, altruistic government.

shoeless joe
04-13-2020, 10:56 AM

He didn’t say the media shut down sports. He said the way the media reacts to this virus may make it difficult for sports to make the decision to start back up.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 11:00 AM
It may not be just the media. What happens if the nfl says let's go but governors of states say no games allowed?

msstate7
04-13-2020, 11:01 AM
It may not be just the media. What happens if the nfl says let's go but governors of states say no games allowed?

Those governors would never win re-election

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 11:02 AM
He didn’t say the media shut down sports. He said the way the media reacts to this virus may make it difficult for sports to make the decision to start back up.

Exactly. The media influences social media and we live in the day and age of cancel culture. The media has been flexing it muscles the past few months.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Those governors would never win re-election

I thought same thing. What about if it's college and not nfl though? You think enough people would be upset about college football in CA to cost the governor of CA his job if he shut it down?

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 11:07 AM
If you don't believe the media will go crazy over a college athlete or coach getting Covid-19 once everything starts back up then you are just burying your head in the sand. If you can't see how the media has manipulated this thing then you are just in denial. Believing in a benevolent, altruistic media is just as stupid as believing in a benevolent, altruistic government.

Manipulated it how? Some people say the media has overhyped it. Some say the media has downplayed it. Both are true

The media has manipulated this both ways and everyway in between. You probably think "the media" has overhyped this. If so you probably get your news from media sources that downplayed it.

People tend to find news that fits their own narrative. There is enough out there you can find one to fit your perspective

People talk like the media is some singular source with one objective...and that objective is out to get them. It's conspiracy nonesense because there is media on all sides and in between.

confucius say
04-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Exactly. The media influences social media and we live in the day and age of cancel culture. The media has been flexing it muscles the past few months.

Dan Woke-en has been chomping at the bit already.

I do think it will be interesting to see what happens when the first player gets covid though once sports start back.

Turfdawg67
I regret opening this thread.

msstate7
I thought same thing. What about if it's college and not nfl though? You think enough people would be upset about college football in CA to cost the governor of CA his job if he shut it down?

CA, no. Michigan, Ohio, all sec states though... might as well resign

StateDawg44
04-13-2020, 11:10 AM
This thread shoud go well.... just wait until Dantheman chimes in.

maroonmania
04-13-2020, 11:11 AM

Good heavens, just look at the media and talking heads manipulation and grandstanding with the Leach tweet. The 'reporting' media pick things to report on that they believe could create controversy and debate and then the 'talking heads' media take that and run with it to heavily influence opinion.

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 11:11 AM
https://www.stereogum.com/2080079/coronavirus-expert-says-concerts-wont-return-until-fall-2021-at-the-earliest/news/?fbclid=IwAR0_6oLRrSOlySV45EeZ7Svm0bYd6xj8kyK7Pcyz 1x48zqAhZr2efwm6I0w

Fall of 2021.

"Restarting the economy has to be done in stages, and it does have to start with more physical distancing at a work site that allows people who are at lower risk to come back. Certain kinds of construction, or manufacturing or offices, in which you can maintain six-foot distances are more reasonable to start sooner. Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically, we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest."

confucius say
04-13-2020, 11:16 AM
What about sports where you could stay further away from people. Like golf? At least we could watch the masters on tv.

msstate7
04-13-2020, 11:17 AM
https://www.stereogum.com/2080079/coronavirus-expert-says-concerts-wont-return-until-fall-2021-at-the-earliest/news/?fbclid=IwAR0_6oLRrSOlySV45EeZ7Svm0bYd6xj8kyK7Pcyz 1x48zqAhZr2efwm6I0w

Fall of 2021.

"Restarting the economy has to be done in stages, and it does have to start with more physical distancing at a work site that allows people who are at lower risk to come back. Certain kinds of construction, or manufacturing or offices, in which you can maintain six-foot distances are more reasonable to start sooner. Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically, we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest."

I don't buy this at all. Nfl may not have a butt in a seat, but I bet they play.

FISHDAWG
04-13-2020, 11:20 AM
lol at blaming the media. Good grief

do you think it's outside the realm of possibility that the media has influence ? .... now that's an LOL

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 11:26 AM
do you think it's outside the realm of possibility that the media has influence ? .... now that's an LOL

Sure it has influence on it's viewers and followers. Places like fox influences people one way and places like MSNBC the opposite way.

Are you implying that all media has the same agenda and are influencing in the same direction?

MrKotter
04-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Please call your mother and tell her she really 17'd up

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 11:33 AM

Maybe when I finish up 17'ing your mom.

If what she has doesn't kill me, COVID will be a breeze

Leeshouldveflanked
04-13-2020, 11:37 AM
MSM is entertainment, just like strippers on a pole, but strippers don?t have an agenda and have a higher ethical standard.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 11:37 AM
When the media starts giving billions of dollars to the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NCAA then they will have a say in the matter. They have made themselves completely irrelevant.

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 11:39 AM
What are the most popular and watched news sites and personalities in America?

I know places like foxnews and rush Limbaugh used to be massively popular. Is that still the case? Have they unified their voice with MSNBC now?

Influence works both ways. That is why places like this are echo chambers.

The people making these decisions on a large scale are not as easily influenced as elitedawg posters. And they usually involve people from all perspectives. Money typically wins out when it comes to business decisions. Sports are businesses

msstate7
04-13-2020, 11:42 AM
NBA working on plan to play again...

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/nba-plan-end-coronavirus-suspension?xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated

msugolf
04-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Manipulated it how? Some people say the media has overhyped it. Some say the media has downplayed it. Both are true

The media has manipulated this both ways and everyway in between. You probably think "the media" has overhyped this. If so you probably get your news from media sources that downplayed it.

People tend to find news that fits their own narrative. There is enough out there you can find one to fit your perspective

People talk like the media is some singular source with one objective...and that objective is out to get them. It's conspiracy nonesense because there is media on all sides and in between.

When the year is done, coronavirus will have killed just as many people in the US as suicide does in an average year. Though that's debatable since heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, etc deaths are being labeled as coronavirus. So calling it an over reaction is putting it mildly.

Society has a disease addiction alright. A disease for fear, attention, relevancy, drama, escapism, narcissism. How ironic is it that I see the same people who tell me to freak out also go and order a custom designed face mask. The world is obsessed with making sure their voice is heard through a platform and the media of today loves that about it. Its like their fuel for their fire.

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 11:58 AM
When the year is done, coronavirus will have killed just as many people in the US as suicide does in an average year. .

Because social distancing works. What a shocker. If you limit contact, virus dont spread as much.

Dawgfan77
04-13-2020, 12:04 PM
My numbers are from Friday but basically NY/NJ have had roughly 12,000 out of the 23,000 country wide deaths. Most of those being elderly or those having significant underlying health issues. No death is to big nor to small. However we shut down the country due to 11K deaths county wide.

Prentis
04-13-2020, 12:21 PM
I wonder how David Johnson and his family would answer this question. I might be wrong but, I believe that they couldn't care less about sports at the moment. Trust me it's a different feeling when it affects you or a loved one.

msstate7
04-13-2020, 12:23 PM
I wonder how David Johnson and his family would answer this question. I might be wrong but, I believe that they couldn't care less about sports at the moment. Trust me it's a different feeling when it affects you or a loved one.

Maybe, maybe not. Sports are his livelihood.

MadDawg
04-13-2020, 12:26 PM

90% of all media march to the beat of one drum. And that's being extremely generous. You think the media is evenly split among all biases and perspectives. That's because you get your news from the 90%.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 12:32 PM
This thread shoud go well.... just wait until Dantheman chimes in.

Yep, might as well start the countdown.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 12:36 PM
One thing is a fact for sure, if the economy doesn't open back up soon and people don't get back to work you ain't gonna have to worry about the effects of the virus because the economic devastation to families and businesses will far outweigh anything the virus did. And that includes sports!

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2020, 01:00 PM
When the media starts giving billions of dollars to the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NCAA then they will have a say in the matter. They have made themselves completely irrelevant.

The media DOES give billions of dollars to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA. Or do we just forget that media is where most of the money for that fat SEC check we get annually? So, in terms of sports, the media companies are very relevant. The media companies are just as desperate for revenue right now as anyone, and without sports on they are losing revenue and having to fork over $ for media rights. They will muzzle someone like Wolken when the time comes.

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 01:22 PM

You ask me how the media has manipulated it and then state the the media has manipulated it in your above statement. I get the majority of my news online through the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Fox News, and CNN. At least, those are the four that I have subscriptions to and stay in my news feed. I ocassionaly hit the Drudge Report and Politico. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle and I believe in a middle way. The vast majority of news outlets are over-hyping this while the more conservative outlets tends to downplay it. Neither is correct and both have employed some pretty shady tactics to support their stances.

This nation needs a moderate third party.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 01:29 PM
You ask me how the media has manipulated it and then state the the media has manipulated it in your above statement. I get the majority of my news online through the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Fox News, and CNN. At least, those are the four that I have subscriptions to and stay in my news feed. I ocassionaly hit the Drudge Report and Politico. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle and I believe in a middle way. The vast majority of news outlets are over-hyping this while the more conservative outlets tends to downplay it. Neither is correct and both have employed some pretty shady tactics to support their stances.

Yep, or just the plain truth.

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 01:32 PM

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I meant which way do you think it has been manipulated. Have decisions been altered or made because of "the media" (by decision makers...CEOs, Sports team owners, ect) to overreact or under-react?

I think the media has a lot of influence on individual viewers, but not as much influence over the "big picture".

We go out and buy up all the toliet paper because of the media. I get that. Individuals bitch on message boards based on where they get their news. That is where the influence lies and that influence is important and does have impacts....but.....

But when it comes to shutting down the NBA for instance....or opening it back up. ..that isn't a simple as "will the media allow it". Or when my company told me to work from home. Or when schools are closed. Thar isn't the media's fault

I agree with you 200% on the moderate 3rd party

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 01:35 PM
One thing is a fact for sure, if the economy doesn't open back up soon and people don't get back to work you ain't gonna have to worry about the effects of the virus because the economic devastation to families and businesses will far outweigh anything the virus did. And that includes sports!

Which is why sports will be back by the fall.

The media says a LOT of things but sports are not going to compromise their entire league because some douchebag like Dan Wolken doesn't like it.

And with sports and the media I'll say this as I have said many times before- they NEED sports to give them access and so there's a balancing act there. If the media blasts MLB or whoever starting back "too soon" or because someone got COVID...and as an aside why no one is talking about people building up immunity naturally before Lord Fausi gets his year and a half to figure out a vaccine is unknown to me other than the media doesn't know a damn thing about medical things which is VERY apparent to me if they're just not outright lying through their teeth I can't tell...anyway sorry- sports will just cut off their access and keep going.

I've seen the St. Louis Cardinals do it ALL THE TIME with the St. Louis media. NOTHING gets out about that organization that they don't want out without any ramifications. Example- before they traded Colby Rasmus they leaked out that his Dad was disagreeing with the Cardinals hitting coaches. Apparently helicopter parenting even goes on at the MLB level. Anyway. Made it a LOT easier for fans to understand why he was traded to Toronto.

And they covered up a TON of players using cocaine and being investigated by the FBI in the 1980's. There's a reason why Keith Hernandez was traded to the Mets for Neil freaking Allen. Cardinals thought he was about to go to jail.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Yep, or just the plain truth.

That's way too much to ask for from the "woke" media.*****

It's sad when Genespage is more professional when it comes to reporting ethics than the actual media. And I say that because I know at least two of their main reporters don't have journalism degrees. The people that work for the media should know better.

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 01:43 PM
I am sorry I wasn't clear. I meant which way do you think it has been manipulated. Have decisions been altered or made because of "the media" (by decision makers...CEOs, Sports team owners, ect) to overreact or under-react?

I think the media has a lot of influence on individual viewers, but not as much influence over the "big picture".

We go out and buy up all the toliet paper because of the media. I get that. Individuals bitch on message boards based on where they get their news. That is where the influence lies and that influence is important and does have impacts....but.....

But when it comes to shutting down the NBA for instance....or opening it back up. ..that isn't a simple as "will the media allow it". Or when my company told me to work from home. Or when schools are closed. Thar isn't the media's fault

I agree with you 200% on the moderate 3rd party

Media influences individuals which influence businesses and corporations significantly. You use the example of toilet paper. The media influences millions of people to buy up as much toilet paper as possible. Demand rises. Prices at the wholesale level rise due to demand so that larger chain stores (that only buy in massive bulk and have curbside, delivery, etc) are the only ones that can afford toilet paper. Smaller stores can only stock a few rolls at a time due to price inflation. Because of this folks hardly even shop local now due to higher prices and limited product. Thus, larger, chain stores are booming and grocery/paper producers are changing their distribution and production strategies to provide more.

So, yes, the media manipulates individuals but large contingents of individuals "move the needle" significantly. The media influences social media and social media is THE...MOST...POWERFUL...INFLUENCER in the world right now.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 01:44 PM
That's way too much to ask for from the "woke" media.*****

It's sad when Genespage is more professional when it comes to reporting ethics than the actual media. And I say that because I know at least two of their main reporters don't have journalism degrees. The people that work for the media should know better.

You're exactly right. It's such a shame that everything has to be so devisive. It seems every form of media has there own agenda(and I mean all of them). It's just tragic that there's so few that care about reporting the actual truth.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 01:46 PM

The media says a LOT of things but sports are not going to compromise their entire league because some douchebag like Dan Wolken doesn't like it.

And with sports and the media I'll say this as I have said many times before- they NEED sports to give them access and so there's a balancing act there. If the media blasts MLB or whoever starting back "too soon" or because someone got COVID...and as an aside why no one is talking about people building up immunity naturally before Lord Fausi gets his year and a half to figure out a vaccine is unknown to me other than the media doesn't know a damn thing about medical things which is VERY apparent to me if they're just not outright lying through their teeth I can't tell...anyway sorry- sports will just cut off their access and keep going.

I've seen the St. Louis Cardinals do it ALL THE TIME with the St. Louis media. NOTHING gets out about that organization that they don't want out without any ramifications. Example- before they traded Colby Rasmus they leaked out that his Dad was disagreeing with the Cardinals hitting coaches. Apparently helicopter parenting even goes on at the MLB level. Anyway. Made it a LOT easier for fans to understand why he was traded to Toronto.

And they covered up a TON of players using cocaine and being investigated by the FBI in the 1980's. There's a reason why Keith Hernandez was traded to the Mets for Neil freaking Allen. Cardinals thought he was about to go to jail.

I'm digging this, Todd! Very well said!

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Media influences individuals which influence businesses and corporations significantly. You use the example of toilet paper. The media influences millions of people to buy up as much toilet paper as possible. Demand rises. Prices at the wholesale level rise due to demand so that larger chain stores (that only buy in massive bulk and have curbside, delivery, etc) are the only ones that can afford toilet paper. Smaller stores can only stock a few rolls at a time due to price inflation. Because of this folks hardly even shop local now due to higher prices and limited product. Thus, larger, chain stores are booming and grocery/paper producers are changing their distribution and production strategies to provide more.

So, yes, the media manipulates individuals but large contingents of individuals "move the needle" significantly. The media influences social media and social media is THE...MOST...POWERFUL...INFLUENCER in the world right now.

Yes. It influences purchases and actions by individuals and those actions influence the products companies put out. Just like advertising does. That isn't a new concept.

But moving the needle the way you just described is a business adjusting to market demands. Or businesses being forced to change because of market demands. And media can influence market demands. But we are talking about shutting down whole industries and reopening industries. Those decisions are being made based on things other than what the individual consumer is demanding or wanting. They didn't shut the NBA down because it's what the fans wanted because the media scared the fans.

Too much money is at stake for that.

If anything it has more to do with the threat of lawsuits or government decisions. Potential litigation and/or local governments have influenced closings more than the media.

Blame lawyers and politicians before you blame the media. Not because the media is better, None of them have our best interest in mind, but lawyers and politicians hold more power here

There was a lawsuit filed against a cruise ship over COVID before the person even got off the boat. Literally.

Maroonthirteen
04-13-2020, 01:57 PM
I believe professional sports will have to start back before collegiate sports. Here is why....

Gov agencies are beginning to report the gender and race stats of those infected. The media is reporting this and is writing some stories on those with social and economical hardships, are catching the virus at a higher rate than others. Go back to before this, stories of the college player being free labor for multi million dollar corporations (universities and NCAA) was a hot topic.

So I can see if professional sports are not playing, the media will absolutely crucify the colleges and NCAA for trying to restart football season. Hell, the media may even make a big deal of the racial stats and covid and the demographics of the nfl. Once the nfl starts back.

Yeah.... The economy will have to be 100% back open for business before the media gives sports a pass to open.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 02:01 PM
The media DOES give billions of dollars to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA. Or do we just forget that media is where most of the money for that fat SEC check we get annually? So, in terms of sports, the media companies are very relevant. The media companies are just as desperate for revenue right now as anyone, and without sports on they are losing revenue and having to fork over $ for media rights. They will muzzle someone like Wolken when the time comes.

Thats entertainment not news. ESPN is entertainment not news. NBC sports is entertainment not news. I can assure you sport entertainment isn't holding shit back. They want the money. It's CNN, Fox News MSNBC, NBC news those clowns are the one pointing the figure saying you can't start sports back. They have no credibility. They are to GD political. F them! I can assure you the NFL, NBA and MLB are not listening to CNN.

I can assure you if one of the Sport Organization starts to play ball the sport entertainment will be there. They are not going to hold it up.

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 02:04 PM

I hope your right, but I don't see it until we have a vaccine.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 02:14 PM
I believe professional sports will have to start back before collegiate sports. Here is why....

Gov agencies are beginning to report the gender and race stats of those infected. The media is reporting this and is writing some stories on those with social and economical hardships, are catching the virus at a higher rate than others. Go back to before this, stories of the college player being free labor for multi million dollar corporations (universities and NCAA) was a hot topic.

So I can see if professional sports are not playing, the media will absolutely crucify the colleges and NCAA for trying to restart football season. Hell, the media may even make a big deal of the racial stats and covid and the demographics of the nfl. Once the nfl starts back.

Yeah.... The economy will have to be 100% back open for business before the media gives sports a pass to open.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 02:18 PM

It's going to take too long to get a properly tested vaccine and our economy and possibly our country will be ruined if we have to wait that long.

Therefore, the only logical option is some sort of compromise.

Dawgology
04-13-2020, 02:24 PM
It's going to take too long to get a properly tested vaccine and our economy and possibly our country will be ruined if we have to wait that long.

If we wait a year and a half to reopen the USA then you might as well kiss this country goodbye. We would never recover from the financial ruin. Or we would but it will be decades. We are talking about a true depression that would last decades.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 02:29 PM
If we wait a year and a half to reopen the USA then you might as well kiss this country goodbye. We would never recover from the financial ruin. Or we would but it will be decades. We are talking about a true depression that would last decades.

Agreed. Heck even 3-6 months would put us in one heckuva bind.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Why even take the test? Unless I am forced to I am not taking it. If I get fever I will stay home. If I get sick I will stay home. My 77 year old mother is isolated. My 85 year old father in law is isolated. My chances of dying in a car wreck on my way to the office is probably greater than me dying of Corona Virus. If you know you have a health condition or you are older and your are part of the 10% stay home. Stay isolated. Don't go to the ball park. There is no way in hell you are going to be able to check 340 million americans. No way in hell you are going to be able to test millions illegal aliens. Time to go back to work.

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 02:46 PM

We can restart our economy and get back to something close to normal, but that will not include football games, concerts,any large crowds etc.
It will be a new normal with social distancing, until there is a vaccination and it really sucks.
Some business will not survive under this new normal, many bars, night clubs and some restaurants will go under.

As for football, you can’t have that many athletes together, if one person gets COVID19 the whole team is quarantined.
The fans are a whole different situation you are sitting side-by-side for hours next to someone else. Fans are not gonna be wearing mask and going to football games and players cannot wear a mask.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 02:57 PM
We can restart our economy and get back to something close to normal, but that will not include football games, concerts,any large crowds etc.
It will be a new normal with social distancing, until there is a vaccination and it really sucks.
Some business will not survive under this new normal, many bars, night clubs and some restaurants will go under.

As for football, you can’t have that many athletes together, if one person gets COVID19 the whole team is quarantined.
The fans are a whole different situation you are sitting side-by-side for hours next to someone else. Fans are not gonna be wearing mask and going to football games and players cannot wear a mask.

So there is going to be 340 million Corona Virus shot given when they come available? Only about 170 million flu shot are given every year in the United State. Then you have to ask how long is the shot good for. Is it going to have to be giving every year? I don't think there will even be an attempt to make that many shots available. If you are part of the 10% or you are in a job that puts you at risk like the medical profession you will probably get one but I don't think it will be possible to give every american the shot. They can't even do that with flu shots.

Ezsoil
04-13-2020, 03:25 PM

There isn't any vaccine for AIDS ...and there has been plenty of sex since the early 80's ....and it didn't have the 98% recovery rate that this one has...

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 03:32 PM
There isn't any vaccine for AIDS ...and there has been plenty of sex since the early 80's ....and it didn't have the 98% recovery rate that this one has...

Stupid statement.
You can't get AIDS from just breathing the air of an infected person, COVID-19 is very contagious up to 10x that of seasonal flu. It is also 10x as deadly as the flu.

Prediction? Pain.
04-13-2020, 03:38 PM

Good point, Brunswick. In fact, I'm not sure that there's a national media outlet in the United States that doesn't get significant revenue from sports. I haven't researched the numbers, but I imagine that the advertising revenue that these entities receive from airing sports is enormous. CBS has NFL, SEC sports, the NCAA basketball tournament, the PGA, everything on CBS Sports Network, etc. ABC (and hence Disney) has everything that's tied to ESPN along with everything else that it airs nationally on ABC, including college football and the NBA. NBC has the NFL, the NHL, Notre Dame football, and everything on NBC Sports Network. CNN's owned by Warner which gets ad revenue from MLB, the NBA, and the NCAA tournament on all the former Turner stations. And Fox News is of course owned by Fox, which owns the entire Fox Sports group of networks that has deals with the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 12, various race leagues, and international soccer.

I can't speak for the masses, but I sure as hell have zero reason to watch any of the above-mentioned channels or camp out on those media conglomerates' sports-focused websites right now. And with decreased viewers and clicks come decreased advertising revenue. The revenue that those companies are losing and will continue to lose from advertising on television, the radio, and the internet has got be staggering.

So yeah, I'd have to assume that those entities have a much stronger interest in getting sports back up and running than we do as fans. We love/hate watching, listening to, and reading about sports. But media companies make billions of dollars a year broadcasting and covering them.

Shotgun, to get at your larger point, I think that everything is so intertwined in our economy that it's going to be difficult to pinpoint any single set of interests that's going to steer the ship going forward. With college sports, for instance, I'd have to think that the bigger question right now is what is education going to look like in this country (and worldwide, I suppose) come August. If colleges are having kids living, eating, and going to class together on campus as usual, then I've got to think that college sports wouldn't be too far behind. But if stuff's anywhere on the spectrum of unusual -- from mandatory mild social distancing on campuses to widespread continuation of remote learning -- then of course anything on a college campus that requires close, personal interaction, including sports, is an open question. What are parents comfortable with? What are medical professionals saying come August? How effective are the therapies by then? What are the liabilities that universities will face going forward if they do or do not adopt certain safeguards? (Or more importantly, what will those universities' insurers require of them to maintain coverage?) What kind of post-infection immunity exists after the virus among college-age students (which I read is still an open question)?

And of course I don't know the answers to any of those questions.

For what it's worth, as much as I want college sports back, my main concern is getting my kids back in elementary school and daycare. Because, sweet Jesus, people. As lucky as I am to be able to work from home -- and as much as I like doing it under normal circumstances -- playing dad, teacher, and full-time professional all at the same time every day of the week is, uh, not going so well. If I have to jump out of too many more work emails to go threaten my three- and five-year-olds with utter annihilation if they don't stop treating our living room like a raccoon treats a dumpster, I think my head's going to explode.

Gutter Cobreh
04-13-2020, 03:51 PM
For what it's worth, as much as I want college sports back, my main concern is getting my kids back in elementary school and daycare. Because, sweet Jesus, people. As lucky as I am to be able to work from home -- and as much as I like doing it under normal circumstances -- playing dad, teacher, and full-time professional all at the same time every day of the week is, uh, not going so well. If I have to jump out of too many more work emails to go threaten my three- and five-year-olds with utter annihilation if they don't stop treating our living room like a raccoon treats a dumpster, I think my head's going to explode.

You're not alone in this, so keep up the good fight!!!

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 03:59 PM

I don't agree with you because like much of the media you're overlooking the KEY fact that we're going to build immunity to this over time even before there is a vaccine. Heck, when the "Great" Fauci** comes up with one it will probably be pretty close to useless.

MLB is already talking about starting NEXT MONTH and the NFL is planning on going full steam ahead. If they felt like it was unsafe to do so I guarantee you they would be talking about making adaptations like MLB is doing.

The other thing is the statistics do not justify that kind of precautions when football season comes around. Fortunately the death totals and everything is WAY off in a good way and we should ALL be thankful for that. And I'm not buying that it's ALL because we're all awesome at social distancing when the numbers in the original model were worse in their "best case scenario if we do everything perfectly."

Another thing to consider about athletes and COVID is they're about as low risk as far as dying from this as anyone I can think of. Age range. Good shape as long as Moorhead isn't their coach. So even if a player gets it odds are that the player will recover and most of the team will have immunity at that point anyway.

Right now there is just a ton of fear mongering in the media. And it seems to me like they're trying to start to move the goal posts from best case scenario to eliminating it totally. Which is unnecessary in the long run as far as getting back to normal- which is what the media DOESN'T want.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 04:03 PM
And I'll add what I THINK will happen is on May 1 we're going to start to slowly open things back up. Could be wrong but based on the way things are trending that's the most reasonable thing to do. Trump obviously doesn't give a rip what the media thinks about him and they're going to bash him no matter what. He'll just call them fake news and hopefully open up barber shops and maybe gyms first. No idea on that. I think we'll be pretty much back up and running by June.

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 04:36 PM
I don't agree with you because like much of the media you're overlooking the KEY fact that we're going to build immunity to this over time even before there is a vaccine. Heck, when the "Great" Fauci** comes up with one it will probably be pretty close to useless.

MLB is already talking about starting NEXT MONTH and the NFL is planning on going full steam ahead. If they felt like it was unsafe to do so I guarantee you they would be talking about making adaptations like MLB is doing.

The other thing is the statistics do not justify that kind of precautions when football season comes around. Fortunately the death totals and everything is WAY off in a good way and we should ALL be thankful for that. And I'm not buying that it's ALL because we're all awesome at social distancing when the numbers in the original model were worse in their "best case scenario if we do everything perfectly."

Another thing to consider about athletes and COVID is they're about as low risk as far as dying from this as anyone I can think of. Age range. Good shape as long as Moorhead isn't their coach. So even if a player gets it odds are that the player will recover and most of the team will have immunity at that point anyway.

Right now there is just a ton of fear mongering in the media. And it seems to me like they're trying to start to move the goal posts from best case scenario to eliminating it totally. Which is unnecessary in the long run as far as getting back to normal- which is what the media DOESN'T want.

If you are talking about playing all the games in Arizona, that's a no go due to the heat in the summer there. It's over 100 degrees at midnight there.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 04:42 PM
If you are talking about playing all the games in Arizona, that's a no go due to the heat in the summer there. It's over 100 degrees at midnight there.

Were you at the MSU/Clemson SR in 2007? They're talking about playing in Florida as well.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 04:43 PM

It's a different type of 100 degrees. Yes it's hot the Arizona League(Rookie Ball) plays out there with night games during the Summer.

It's doable.

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Thats entertainment not news. ESPN is entertainment not news. NBC sports is entertainment not news. I can assure you sport entertainment isn't holding shit back. They want the money. It's CNN, Fox News MSNBC, NBC news those clowns are the one pointing the figure saying you can't start sports back. They have no credibility. They are to GD political. F them! I can assure you the NFL, NBA and MLB are not listening to CNN.

I can assure you if one of the Sport Organization starts to play ball the sport entertainment will be there. They are not going to hold it up.

News/entertainment/Sports area all divisions of the same media companies. All of them are advertising driven. Guess which one of the 3 is the loss leader - news. That's why you have seen the big media companies gobble up all the sports fan media. News doesn't sell. "News" at the big 3 networks are almost completely carried from a financial standpoint by the fluffy morning shows - because we all want to see Hoda drink wine and tell us its gonna be OK and yuck it up with a star and give us 3 minutes of actual news and 2 minutes of weather every hour.

archdog
04-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Dude the media has nothing to do with it. Science does.

Get this in your head. 100% Facts.

1. No one in the entire world has an immunity to this disease, unless you include the very tiny amount of people that have contracted it since November 2019.
2. This virus can be and has been deadly. It is not known what are the triggers that make ultimately makes this thing deadly to some and nothing to others. At this time, there is more we do not know about this virus than we actually know.
3. There will NOT be crowds of people until we have one of the two following things come true. Herd immunity after 95% of the country has contracted this thing and managed to beat it, or we have a vaccine.

If we do not have a gigantic testing system with immediate results, paired along with contact tracing and forced quarantine world wide, then we have to work towards herd immunity and a vaccine.
Possible treatments are a huge step forward, but until they drastically turn the tide on people getting deathly ill and the need for ventilators.....it ain't happening.

There is nothing about this that is political. It is 100% scientific, and science doesn't care if you believe it or not. Objective truths are still true regardless.

We have done an incredible job at keeping the spike below our ultimate healthcare capacity so far. Even months from now, if you start packing 100k into close proximity of another, it would only take one weekend to completely undue our effort. Make sense?

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 04:57 PM
It's a different type of 100 degrees. Yes it's hot the Arizona League(Rookie Ball) plays out there with night games during the Summer.

It's doable.

This. Yeah it's doable that's why they're going to do it.

I lived in Mesa for 6 years in the 70s and the Phoenix Giants-AAA played minor league ball there every summer WITHOUT a dome.

archdog
04-13-2020, 05:04 PM
You're exactly right. It's such a shame that everything has to be so devisive. It seems every form of media has there own agenda(and I mean all of them). It's just tragic that there's so few that care about reporting the actual truth.

Well Commerce..... tell me what the truth is? what is the actual truth you speak of?
What is the truth that I am missing?

So far, the vast majority of media outlets look to be focusing on correcting what the hell the random public is saying, trying to answer questions on the disease, and trying to let the public know of ramifications of inaction or the reality of a pandemic situation. Including Fox News, CNN, and others. The simple truth that I know is that people that want the "truth" didn't want to hear it when "hearing it" could have made a huge difference in this pandemic. I haven't seen much from any of the media that seems too outlandish. Even the doomsday scenarios that were in play before people started really limiting contact and business were actually useful to the public. Thank God we haven't approached those numbers because we took the appropriate actions.

Jarius
04-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Do you ask how the families of people who die in car accidents feel about people being allowed to drive cars? This virus is not going to kill 99 % of the people it infects. Every day in life we accept casualties in this world in order to keep the economy from tanking and living our every day lives. If we hide from everything that could kill us we would be hermits and continuously living in fear. At some point in the very near future people are going to have to get over their fear of this virus and go back to their normal lives.

archdog
04-13-2020, 05:05 PM

I lived in Mesa for 6 years in the 70s and the Phoenix Giants-AAA played minor league ball there every summer WITHOUT a dome.

They may have it, but there will not be fans there. There will not be fans until we have herd immunity or a vaccine has been developed and the entire world has been innoculated.

archdog
04-13-2020, 05:06 PM
Do you ask how the families of people who die in car accidents feel about people being allowed to drive cars? This virus is not going to kill 99 % of the people it infects. Every day in life we accept casualties in this world in order to keep the economy from tanking and living our every day lives. If we hide from everything that could kill us we would be hermits and continuously living in fear. At some point in the very near future people are going to have to get over their fear of this virus and go back to their normal lives.

At the same time we do not knowingly go into a scenario where every football game in the nation, attended by fans would result in say 5 people dying. So your example is absurd.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
They may have it, but there will not be fans there. There will not be fans until we have herd immunity or a vaccine has been developed and the entire world has been innoculated.

Well then I guess it'll never happen cause there's no way the whole world will be inoculated

msstate7
04-13-2020, 05:10 PM

1. No one in the entire world has an immunity to this disease, unless you include the very tiny amount of people that have contracted it since November 2019.
2. This virus can be and has been deadly. It is not known what are the triggers that make ultimately makes this thing deadly to some and nothing to others. At this time, there is more we do not know about this virus than we actually know.
3. There will NOT be crowds of people until we have one of the two following things come true. Herd immunity after 95% of the country has contracted this thing and managed to beat it, or we have a vaccine.

If we do not have a gigantic testing system with immediate results, paired along with contact tracing and forced quarantine world wide, then we have to work towards herd immunity and a vaccine.
Possible treatments are a huge step forward, but until they drastically turn the tide on people getting deathly ill and the need for ventilators.....it ain't happening.

There is nothing about this that is political. It is 100% scientific, and science doesn't care if you believe it or not. Objective truths are still true regardless.

We have done an incredible job at keeping the spike below our ultimate healthcare capacity so far. Even months from now, if you start packing 100k into close proximity of another, it would only take one weekend to completely undue our effort. Make sense?
Your #3 is not a fact... it's an opinion.

fishwater99
04-13-2020, 05:12 PM

The reported death rate is over 4% in the US and over 6% worldwide.

archdog
04-13-2020, 05:14 PM
Also note, when the doomsday scenarios were out there, 100s of thousands dead by August, etc...... the media also continuously discussed the actions we were trying to take to stop that. The day the models were revised with updated information and assumptions... they made sure that information was also covered.

So forgive me, but the media has been exceptional in this coverage. They have discussed everything under the sun with this. Political issues, scientific issues, needed supplies, numbers of infected, constant updates about who and where, constant updates on the latest precautions, how to handle buying stuff from stores, how to properly wash your hands, and what to avoid.

What the hell else do you want them to do? this entire thread shows why that many things had to be discussed. Because people think this is someone else's issue. They are special. It doesn't apply to ME, type of attitude. This thread flies in the face of the logical idea that people should not, in any way, be in large groups until we have a lasting solution to the virus. No idea why we are even discussing this. Everyone knows it is going to take probably 18 months to get a vaccine. We all know we cannot meet in large groups. We all know that we cannot return to meeting in large groups until we have a solution. We all know this, yet this post is blaming the media for football not returning in the fall.

Put it this way, some sports may return by then, but fans will not be there. Fans will not be allowed to go. Not until what we all know has to happen, happens.

archdog
04-13-2020, 05:17 PM

That is one thing that is way misleading though. That 4% only includes known infections. There is a large percentage of people that have never been tested and more likely will never be tested that have had the infection but showed zero symptoms. I agree with Trump that the real number is probably around 1.5% if not lower. Even at 1.5% that is 112 million people if we are at 7.5 billion.

Jarius
04-13-2020, 05:19 PM
At the same time we do not knowingly go into a scenario where every football game in the nation, attended by fans would result in say 5 people dying. So your example is absurd.

No one is forcing anyone to go to the football game. If you don't want to go you can stay inside your house and quarantine yourself from everyone for as long as you would like to do that.

Commercecomet24
04-13-2020, 05:22 PM
No one is forcing anyone to go to the football game. If you don't want to go you can stay inside your house and quarantine yourself from everyone for as long as you would like to do that.

Some of our society should probably do that anyways!

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 05:28 PM
Well Commerce..... tell me what the truth is? what is the actual truth you speak of?
What is the truth that I am missing?

So far, the vast majority of media outlets look to be focusing on correcting what the hell the random public is saying, trying to answer questions on the disease, and trying to let the public know of ramifications of inaction or the reality of a pandemic situation. Including Fox News, CNN, and others. The simple truth that I know is that people that want the "truth" didn't want to hear it when "hearing it" could have made a huge difference in this pandemic. I haven't seen much from any of the media that seems too outlandish. Even the doomsday scenarios that were in play before people started really limiting contact and business were actually useful to the public. Thank God we haven't approached those numbers because we took the appropriate actions.

No one can justify 100% that social distancing is why the numbers have played out the way that they have. You just can't. I'm sure it's helped some- no question. But the media is CONSTANTLY criticizing people spending spring break in Florida and things like that. And not that the criticism there wasn't warranted. But I'm not buying that we're so good at social distancing that we basically formed an outlier to the models. I think the most likely scenario is the models were wrong to start with.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 05:31 PM
The bottom line is at some point we HAVE TO STOP fear mongering and start living our lives. We can't completely stop death from happening. We can't stop everything. No matter what we do or how well we do it we can't stop Coronavirus from killing some people. Right now we're like kids who have parents that are extreme germaphobes.

deadheaddawg
04-13-2020, 05:36 PM
No one can justify 100% that social distancing is why the numbers have played out the way that they have. You just can't. I'm sure it's helped some- no question. But the media is CONSTANTLY criticizing people spending spring break in Florida and things like that. And not that the criticism there wasn't warranted. But I'm not buying that we're so good at social distancing that we basically formed an outlier to the models. I think the most likely scenario is the models were wrong to start with.

It's helped more than "some". It's helped a hellava lot. Even those of you that based your decisions on "common sense" instead of educated advice has to see that by now

We all know how viruses spread. We have seen how deadly this is to older people and people with other issues. We have seen how contagious this is. Just connect the dots

Just using common sense we can see that it has helped a lot.

MrKotter
04-13-2020, 05:37 PM

Oh dear

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 05:49 PM
It's helped more than "some". It's helped a hellava lot. Even those of you that based your decisions on "common sense" instead of educated advice has to see that by now

We all know how viruses spread. We have seen how deadly this is to older people and people with other issues. We have seen how contagious this is. Just connect the dots

Just using common sense we can see that it has helped a lot.

Prove it and quantify it. You can't.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2020, 06:12 PM

What is this 1st grade? y'all chill..

Jarius
04-13-2020, 06:36 PM

Common sense tells you that those numbers are incorrect, but you know that.

Prediction? Pain.
04-13-2020, 06:56 PM
Not specific to the resumption of sports in the US, but I came across this article about the resumption of "normal" economic activity in general and thought I'd share:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/08/998785/stop-covid-or-save-the-economy-we-can-do-both/

It's from the MIT Technology Review and works off the premise that, according to many leading economists, choosing between economic viability and public health is a false choice. TL;DR version is that some prominent economists think that the clearest path forward without a vaccine is to implement a comprehensive, nationwide testing system that will allow for more rapid effective isolation of infectious people. There's also an interesting reference to an economist's study of the 1918 flu pandemic. Apparently our national economy shrunk by 18% as a result of that pandemic, but the cities whose economies suffered most were those that implemented preventative measures, like closing schools and businesses, late and lifted them early.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting read because of its focus on economic theory. Because, after all, what's more interesting that economic theory?

Oh, and 7, if you're reading, I thought you'd dig this stat-tastic infographic that I found re: mortality rates:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

msstate7
04-13-2020, 07:13 PM
Not specific to the resumption of sports in the US, but I came across this article about the resumption of "normal" economic activity in general and thought I'd share:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/08/998785/stop-covid-or-save-the-economy-we-can-do-both/

It's from the MIT Technology Review and works off the premise that, according to many leading economists, choosing between economic viability and public health is a false choice. TL;DR version is that some prominent economists think that the clearest path forward without a vaccine is to implement a comprehensive, nationwide testing system that will allow for more rapid effective isolation of infectious people. There's also an interesting reference to an economist's study of the 1918 flu pandemic. Apparently our national economy shrunk by 18% as a result of that pandemic, but the cities whose economies suffered most were those that implemented preventative measures, like closing schools and businesses, late and lifted them early.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting read because of its focus on economic theory. Because, after all, what's more interesting that economic theory?

Oh, and 7, if you're reading, I thought you'd dig this stat-tastic infographic that I found re: mortality rates:

Every other category is total deaths per year divided by 365. Not sure that's a fair comparison unless you think there will be 708,100 (365 x 1940) deaths in us this year; there's been 119,587 worldwide so far, and 23,610 in US so far

Jack Lambert
04-13-2020, 08:05 PM

If thats the case and Disney World which has 50K visitors every day will not open. Universal Studios which has 10K visitors each day will not open. Six flags will not open. No amusement parks will open. Beaches will not open. National Parks will not open. I don't see that happening. If they open up everything else will open. If it doesn't open up then schools will stay close. Just isn't happening.

I could see where the NCAA will only allow season tickets holders in the stadium with no visitors attending road games. That's probably out there but I could see that more probable then no college football. Way too much money and Americans are getting realy tired and emotionally sick from what is going on.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 08:21 PM
If thats the case and Disney World which has 50K visitors every day will not open. Universal Studios which has 10K visitors each day will not open. Six flags will not open. No amusement parks will open. Beaches will not open. National Parks will not open. I don't see that happening. If they open up everything else will open. If it doesn't open up then schools will stay close. Just isn't happening.

I could see where the NCAA will only allow season tickets holders in the stadium with no visitors attending road games. That's probably out there but I could see that more probable then no college football. Way too much money and Americans are getting realy tired and emotionally sick from what is going on.

Another reason I think you are right is they are already letting people where I live walk around city parks.

Prentis
04-13-2020, 09:57 PM

FWIW, I was tested Friday for the virus and my test came back positive yesterday. Thank God that my symptoms are just that of a bad flu. I don't have any underlying health issues. I'm young and in fairly decent shape and it's still is thought that goes through my head of what if. Comparing this pandemic to car accidents is apple's and oranges. Trust me I want sports just as much as the next man, but I want to live to see them as well.

Stay safe and HAILSTATE!!!

Prediction? Pain.
04-13-2020, 10:53 PM
Every other category is total deaths per year divided by 365. Not sure that's a fair comparison unless you think there will be 708,100 (365 x 1940) deaths in us this year; there's been 119,587 worldwide so far, and 23,610 in US so far

Oh, no doubt. I just thought that the illustration of rapid, exponential growth in the context of other leading causes of death in this country was interesting for perspective, especially given that we've been locked down for so many weeks as things have escalated. It'd be like if daily car fatalities per 100,000 people increased every day for a month despite the fact that the nation's automobile traffic was slashed by 10, 20, 30, or 40% over the time span. Gnarly stuff.

archdog
04-13-2020, 11:38 PM
Your #3 is not a fact... it's an opinion.

It is the focus of all basic pandemic responses when discussing a virus spread as easily as Covid 19. There is a reason that sports was turned off in a matter of hours once this thing started gathering numbers. So as of now, the official policy for the country and most of the entire earth is no groups larger than 10 people. We are discussing potentially 50-100k people. At this time, it is not going to happen, with fans in the stands, until we get a vaccine or herd immunity.

We are doing a great job at keeping the numbers down even with starting distancing too late. But, like I said, the media has nothing to do with it, other than reminding us daily to not forget what we are all doing. Stay home if you can, wash your hands, work from home if you can, and make sure you are taking precautions. It can turn very bad, if we drop our gaurd.

Our leadership is feeling the need to open things up. If we open up without great restraint, we can still hit those doomsday numbers we were staring at just two weeks ago.

archdog
04-13-2020, 11:47 PM
Well it does sit idle for 12-27 days prior to showing symptoms.

FISHDAWG
04-14-2020, 07:17 AM

you ever play the Arizona Golf Resort there ? .... love that course

FISHDAWG
04-14-2020, 07:22 AM
Well then I guess it'll never happen cause there's no way the whole world will be inoculated

never say never is an old cliche that comes to mind ...... they could take a 70,000 seat stadium and only sell 20,000 seats but still collect TV revenue ... I think it comes down to will the PLAYERS be safe and the media will certainly influence that

Jarius
04-14-2020, 09:11 AM
FWIW, I was tested Friday for the virus and my test came back positive yesterday. Thank God that my symptoms are just that of a bad flu. I don't have any underlying health issues. I'm young and in fairly decent shape and it's still is thought that goes through my head of what if. Comparing this pandemic to car accidents is apple's and oranges. Trust me I want sports just as much as the next man, but I want to live to see them as well.

Stay safe and HAILSTATE!!!

I will certainly keep you in my prayers! I still don't think that we should continue to shut down our country and risk millions of people dying from a collapsed economy, but that does not mean that I do not care about the people who do contract the virus. This is about more than football. We have to open things back up. It's simply too dangerous not to. Shutting down football games when millions and millions of people will be going to theme parks and restaurants and work in cities would just be a pointless killing of a bunch of economies. It would solve absolutely nothing and cripple a lot of people. It's going to spread when we open things back up. Shutting the world down for a month was never about stopping the virus. It was about slowing it down long enough to prepare for what's coming after we reopen. Football and everything else will happen. People will just have to decide whether or not they want to take the risk. We aren't shutting stadiums down for 2 years. Hail State and here is to a speedy recovery for you.

Commercecomet24
04-14-2020, 09:16 AM
never say never is an old cliche that comes to mind ...... they could take a 70,000 seat stadium and only sell 20,000 seats but still collect TV revenue ... I think it comes down to will the PLAYERS be safe and the media will certainly influence that

What I was saying was that everyone in the world will not be innoculated not that the games wouldn't be played.

Commercecomet24
04-14-2020, 09:17 AM
you ever play the Arizona Golf Resort there ? .... love that course

I did. Great course! I learned to play when we lived in Arizona. Some great courses there!

dparker
04-14-2020, 11:22 AM

Both are informative. Thanks for sharing.

archdog
04-14-2020, 04:40 PM

I disagree. Social distancing and washing hands are the two greatest weapons we have against a pandemic like this. The vast majority of the country has done a pretty good job at it. The issue is now that the numbers are reflecting our actions, we cannot change tactics. At the same time, we have to open up business some. How do we do it? Well, leadership that actually defines the steps we are going to undertake with projected timelines would be a good start.

1. Massive investment in testing, money and manpower. For a starting number I say 100 billion to get the testing equipment and a start to the test themselves. That includes huge factories that are completely retooled to only produce the machines that actually performs the test. Every single hospital in the entire country, including shitty ones like rural greenwood hospital should have their own testing machines. Next you have to produce around 50 million per week. You may have to build 10-50 temporary production facilities to actually get that many made. But we need to test the entire population almost consistantly, until we determine who has had it and recovered, and who currently has it. Who those people have come in contact with, etc. I would imagine this would cost 10 billion per week to run, at a minimum. Along with training in each facility to actually test, if they need it.

So two months to get this up and running.... seems doable if you actually plan it out. Frankly this should have been started a month ago.

2. Now that we know who has had it, and who currently has it. Testing will have to continue for everyone that does not have it, maybe weekly.

3. Every workplace in America needs a social distancing protocol, so people can return and get a percentage of our production back.

4. If you previously had it, and the doctors determine you are no longer transmitting the virus and you have no risk of catching it again (still unknown as of today) then you may go back to work. But know that you can still pick up the virus and bring it back to your loved ones and they may possibly die. It is a possibility, but under strict social distancing and common sense workplace adjustment you may be alright.

All of that to say...... someone saying we are going back May 1 is 17n retarded, without a plan. It cannot/should not happen without a plan. Each step has to be achieved before you move to the next. Without that, the numbers ramp back up faster, and turning off the economy again would be way worse than if we just leave it off. Mark it.

We have 1000s of cases in MS right now. We shut everything down when there was 1 confirmed case. And the scientist are saying that 5x to 20x the known number of cases are other people carrying it around with no symptoms or very low symptoms.

If Trump would just lay out the plan to get back to work and let the American people deal with the news that we are going to be in this for a while, as we hit the milestones the stock market will reflect the effort. Saying May 1 we are back, is 17n retarded.

confucius say
04-14-2020, 06:28 PM
I disagree. Social distancing and washing hands are the two greatest weapons we have against a pandemic like this. The vast majority of the country has done a pretty good job at it. The issue is now that the numbers are reflecting our actions, we cannot change tactics. At the same time, we have to open up business some. How do we do it? Well, leadership that actually defines the steps we are going to undertake with projected timelines would be a good start.

1. Massive investment in testing, money and manpower. For a starting number I say 100 billion to get the testing equipment and a start to the test themselves. That includes huge factories that are completely retooled to only produce the machines that actually performs the test. Every single hospital in the entire country, including shitty ones like rural greenwood hospital should have their own testing machines. Next you have to produce around 50 million per week. You may have to build 10-50 temporary production facilities to actually get that many made. But we need to test the entire population almost consistantly, until we determine who has had it and recovered, and who currently has it. Who those people have come in contact with, etc. I would imagine this would cost 10 billion per week to run, at a minimum. Along with training in each facility to actually test, if they need it.

So two months to get this up and running.... seems doable if you actually plan it out. Frankly this should have been started a month ago.

2. Now that we know who has had it, and who currently has it. Testing will have to continue for everyone that does not have it, maybe weekly.

3. Every workplace in America needs a social distancing protocol, so people can return and get a percentage of our production back.

4. If you previously had it, and the doctors determine you are no longer transmitting the virus and you have no risk of catching it again (still unknown as of today) then you may go back to work. But know that you can still pick up the virus and bring it back to your loved ones and they may possibly die. It is a possibility, but under strict social distancing and common sense workplace adjustment you may be alright.

All of that to say...... someone saying we are going back May 1 is 17n retarded, without a plan. It cannot/should not happen without a plan. Each step has to be achieved before you move to the next. Without that, the numbers ramp back up faster, and turning off the economy again would be way worse than if we just leave it off. Mark it.

We have 1000s of cases in MS right now. We shut everything down when there was 1 confirmed case. And the scientist are saying that 5x to 20x the known number of cases are other people carrying it around with no symptoms or very low symptoms.

If Trump would just lay out the plan to get back to work and let the American people deal with the news that we are going to be in this for a while, as we hit the milestones the stock market will reflect the effort. Saying May 1 we are back, is 17n retarded.

I'm no trump fan, but he actually just did a decent job of this. States that are comfortable in their testing should be reopened in late May or June.

Also, we need to understand that more people will die. It's natural and has occurred for centuries with various pandemics.