PDA

View Full Version : Re-visiting Scott Stricklin

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 05:03 PM
The Rick Stansbury thread made me think about this.

Was it true that the reason why Stricklin left for Florida was because he was getting into hot water with our cigar boys over the Rick Ray hire and allowing Dan to neglect the Egg Bowl without ramifications in 2015?

Rick Ray has been hashed out in the other thread. I heard Stricklin just did his own thing there.

With Dan I heard Keenum was about as pissed off as I was about the Egg Bowl and Stricklin went to bat for Dan. The rumor I heard was he told Stricklin if Dan screws up the next year both of you are gone. And if I remember correctly Stricklin left shortly after we lost to South Alabama in football.

I've also heard a rumor that Stricklin was the one who told Cohen that our formula for football was to hire an assistant and that greatly influenced how Cohen approached the Joe Moorhead search. Which was all assistants as the main candidates if I remember correctly.

If all of this is true it sounds to me like Stricklin was LT who was better at marketing. I'm considering Vic Schaefer a blind squirrel finding a nut here. Credit where credit is due though.

bobcat91
04-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Stricklin was incompetent. He was LT with a smile. As far as Ray, that was on Stricklin and Keenum. When years go by, many are going to find out how incompetent Keenum is and his legacy will be to see us further decline academically. I'm not sure on his hiring philosophy, but Cohen has all of a sudden been gold. Regardless of who says what, Schlossnagle was a done deal until something in his background came up. I'm fine with that as Lemonis is going to lead us to a Natty. As far as Vic, that's who Byrne told Stricklin to get and it worked out great: no one saw that.

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 06:05 PM
So Bryne told Strick to hire Vic? Had not heard that but not surprised.

The rest from Todd sounds about right.

dalmuti
04-12-2020, 07:20 PM
im pretty sure he left for the... millions of dollars

BeastMan
04-12-2020, 07:22 PM
Stricklin was incompetent. He was LT with a smile. As far as Ray, that was on Stricklin and Keenum. When years go by, many are going to find out how incompetent Keenum is and his legacy will be to see us further decline academically. I'm not sure on his hiring philosophy, but Cohen has all of a sudden been gold. Regardless of who says what, Schlossnagle was a done deal until something in his background came up. I'm fine with that as Lemonis is going to lead us to a Natty. As far as Vic, that's who Byrne told Stricklin to get and it worked out great: no one saw that.

It’s insane people in our fanbase think Florida replaced Jeremy Foley, the best AD in the country, with an idiot. And no offense bobcat, you’re a good poster. The reality is that Strick was really good and got 1 of the best jobs in America because he’s good. He fundraised like an animal and with Mullen he built the FB program. The Ray hire was a disaster no doubt but a big part of that was the split bball power brokers. The reason they split was because Stans was fired, which was the right move. We had donors undermining and sabotaging that search at every turn. Ultimately, Ray is the black eye of Strick’s career but there are a lot of folks who deserve a lot of blame for that hire who will never get recognized for how much they damaged that search.

IMissJack
04-12-2020, 07:42 PM
It?s insane people in our fanbase think Florida replaced Jeremy Foley, the best AD in the country, with an idiot. And no offense bobcat, you?re a good poster. The reality is that Strick was really good and got 1 of the best jobs in America because he?s good. He fundraised like an animal and with Mullen he built the FB program. The Ray hire was a disaster no doubt but a big part of that was the split bball power brokers. The reason they split was because Stans was fired, which was the right move. We had donors undermining and sabotaging that search at every turn. Ultimately, Ray is the black eye of Strick?s career but there are a lot of folks who deserve a lot of blame for that hire who will never get recognized for how much they damaged that search.

That is correct in my opinion. Stricklin seemed to be a modern marketer (internet heavy). I've yet to be impressed with JC, but I'm hoping the new football coach changes that. No way FL would hire him without thinking he was good. Having said that, Byrne was the most impressive to me, but he did grow up as the son of an AD, so it was kind of in his blood.

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 08:06 PM
It’s insane people in our fanbase think Florida replaced Jeremy Foley, the best AD in the country, with an idiot. And no offense bobcat, you’re a good poster. The reality is that Strick was really good and got 1 of the best jobs in America because he’s good. He fundraised like an animal and with Mullen he built the FB program. The Ray hire was a disaster no doubt but a big part of that was the split bball power brokers. The reason they split was because Stans was fired, which was the right move. We had donors undermining and sabotaging that search at every turn. Ultimately, Ray is the black eye of Strick’s career but there are a lot of folks who deserve a lot of blame for that hire who will never get recognized for how much they damaged that search.

Regarding Mullen:

I noticed under Byrne he never went job hunting. Under Stricklin he started his boorish behavior. May be a coincidence and yeah obviously I realize that Stricklin is at Florida with Dan now too.

I just think that Byrne deserves some credit for building our football program along with Mullen and Stricklin- 2010 happened under Byrne's watch and the only comparable season under Stricklin like that was 2014. And obviously Byrne hired Dan to start with.

Foley is still "around" Florida correct? I wouldn't be surprised if he still has some small say in things there and if that's the case having someone that he can "push" around would be in his favor.

Jack Lambert
04-12-2020, 08:12 PM
im pretty sure he left for the... millions of dollars

He wants to Commissioner of SEC and being at Florida goes further then Miss State.

Ari Gold
04-12-2020, 08:13 PM
So Bryne told Strick to hire Vic? Had not heard that but not surprised.

The rest from Todd sounds about right.

The Howland hire went down at the SEC tourney, from a call from Bryne to Scott Wetherby.. Bryne didn’t want Ben to possible end up at Arizona State while he was at Arizona.
Stricklin was TOLD to fire RR ( which he wasn’t going to do until This) and make the hire.

That’s the way it was explained to me..

Political Hack
04-12-2020, 08:39 PM
That is correct in my opinion. Stricklin seemed to be a modern marketer (internet heavy). I've yet to be impressed with JC, but I'm hoping the new football coach changes that. No way FL would hire him without thinking he was good. Having said that, Byrne was the most impressive to me, but he did grow up as the son of an AD, so it was kind of in his blood.

Cohen hired a name that was bigger than him. If football flops, it'll be squarely on Leach. Hiring him was essentially a get out of jail card for Cohen. Even if it fails, most will blame Leach. The next men's basketball hire will be his most challenging. That will determine a lot as far as how long his tenure will be.

bobcat91
04-12-2020, 08:51 PM
It?s insane people in our fanbase think Florida replaced Jeremy Foley, the best AD in the country, with an idiot. And no offense bobcat, you?re a good poster. The reality is that Strick was really good and got 1 of the best jobs in America because he?s good. He fundraised like an animal and with Mullen he built the FB program. The Ray hire was a disaster no doubt but a big part of that was the split bball power brokers. The reason they split was because Stans was fired, which was the right move. We had donors undermining and sabotaging that search at every turn. Ultimately, Ray is the black eye of Strick?s career but there are a lot of folks who deserve a lot of blame for that hire who will never get recognized for how much they damaged that search.

No offense taken. We will disagree on this one as Stricklin is a figurehead there. There is a reason Foley kept an office in the athletic department. You hit on the biggie with Scott: he is an excellent fundraiser. Florida's facilities had fallen behind and Georgia was taking over the East. Foley calls the shots: Stricklin is the happy flappy face. Scott screwed up here by not using the National Championship series to bring about the new Duty Noble. He waited a couple of years too late to start fundraising and set us behind. That should have been immediately after we got back from Omaha.

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Cohen hired a name that was bigger than him. If football flops, it'll be squarely on Leach. Hiring him was essentially a get out of jail card for Cohen. Even if it fails, most will blame Leach. The next men's basketball hire will be his most challenging. That will determine a lot as far as how long his tenure will be.

I agree about football. I think Cohen is actually fortunate that the Giants hired Joe Judge. Judge may turn out to be the next football coaching legend but I don't think we can take a chance while another coach "learns on the job".

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 09:37 PM
No offense taken. We will disagree on this one as Stricklin is a figurehead there. There is a reason Foley kept an office in the athletic department. You hit on the biggie with Scott: he is an excellent fundraiser. Florida's facilities had fallen behind and Georgia was taking over the East. Foley calls the shots: Stricklin is the happy flappy face. Scott screwed up here by not using the National Championship series to bring about the new Duty Noble. He waited a couple of years too late to start fundraising and set us behind. That should have been immediately after we got back from Omaha.

Dudy-Noble Field was always going to be tense. A lot of dynamics from some hardheaded groups of people there. I think most everyone is happy now though.

BeastMan
04-12-2020, 10:06 PM
Dudy-Noble Field was always going to be tense. A lot of dynamics from some hardheaded groups of people there. I think most everyone is happy now though.

You’re correct the new dude was always going to be touchy. Look at what our programs did under Strick. LT had numerous CWS, the Jackie era aka Western Division title, and a Final 4 and no programs did any building. Strick gave the entire athletic department a face lift including non revenue sports. Byrne was here for 10 minutes and everyone wants to give him all the credit for everything. Was Strick perfect? Nope, no AD is. That said, we were fortunate to have him. Cohen couldn’t get another P5 AD job. Strick could move from Fla tomorrow for another elite gig.

Captain Falcon
04-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Better than LT and Cohen, not as good as Byrne.

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 10:34 PM
You’re correct the new dude was always going to be touchy. Look at what our programs did under Strick. LT had numerous CWS, the Jackie era aka Western Division title, and a Final 4 and no programs did any building. Strick gave the entire athletic department a face lift including non revenue sports. Byrne was here for 10 minutes and everyone wants to give him all the credit for everything. Was Strick perfect? Nope, no AD is. That said, we were fortunate to have him. Cohen couldn’t get another P5 AD job. Strick could move from Fla tomorrow for another elite gig.

Yeah. That's why we had those community meetings throughout the state of Mississippi over Dudy-Noble.

LT sucked. Stayed WAY too long. He was great in 1987 I'm sure but 2007- no. Byrne should get a lot of credit for his ten minutes. The guy pretty much saved MSU baseball by telling Ron Polk no and that was not an easy thing to do but it was without question the right thing to do. And he stayed with Cohen as baseball coach despite two losing seasons and a lot of turmoil on the team and people mad that their boy wasn't the head coach whether that was Raffo, Steve Smith, or whoever and Cohen was yelling at the players. Yeah- maybe Cohen got somewhat of a pass because he was an alum and it mirrored his first two seasons at Kentucky but that was still not easy. And Byrne has to get credit for bringing Mullen in. He obviously made the right choice between him and Kevin Wilson. Two of the three most successful sports at MSU right now had turning points with major hires by Byrne. There is no question in my mind he wouldn't have screwed up men's basketball.

The only thing about Byrne is I'm pretty sure he would have hired Rich Rod as our coach after Mullen. He was kind of infatuated with him. Would have definitely been better than Moorhead.

Cooterpoot
04-12-2020, 10:36 PM

Foley wasn't the best. He's hated by a lot of people. He's also still running that show.
Stricklin was a twat. He only got the job because of in-laws. He let people get too involved with the basketball hire. Stricklin is snake oil salesman.

DownwardDawg
04-12-2020, 10:47 PM
Worst AD State has ever had.

AROB44
04-13-2020, 06:40 AM
Worst AD State has ever had.

Nope......that honor belongs to LT.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Since the mid 80?s we have had 4 Athletic Directors, 1 good one, 2 very bad, and 1 mediocre...

Ari Gold
04-13-2020, 07:47 AM
The bigger issue in all of this since 2002
4 athletic directors
5 football coaches
3 basketball coaches
4 baseball coaches

1 ****ing head of compliance

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2020, 07:53 AM
4 athletic directors
5 football coaches
3 basketball coaches
4 baseball coaches

This is really is remarkable.

Amazing that a new AD hasn't just wanted "his guy" at any point

cujo
04-13-2020, 07:59 AM
Regarding Mullen:

I noticed under Byrne he never went job hunting. Under Stricklin he started his boorish behavior. May be a coincidence and yeah obviously I realize that Stricklin is at Florida with Dan now too.

I just think that Byrne deserves some credit for building our football program along with Mullen and Stricklin- 2010 happened under Byrne's watch and the only comparable season under Stricklin like that was 2014. And obviously Byrne hired Dan to start with.

Foley is still "around" Florida correct? I wouldn't be surprised if he still has some small say in things there and if that's the case having someone that he can "push" around would be in his favor.

I think it was under Byrne but might have been right after Stricklin took over

BeastMan
04-13-2020, 08:06 AM
4 athletic directors
5 football coaches
3 basketball coaches
4 baseball coaches

Great post

Johnson85
04-13-2020, 08:50 AM
I agree about football. I think Cohen is actually fortunate that the Giants hired Joe Judge. Judge may turn out to be the next football coaching legend but I don't think we can take a chance while another coach "learns on the job".

^^^THIS^^^

I don't fault Cohen for hiring Moorhead. I also don't credit him as much for hiring leach because he first tried to hire somebody that had never called plays and basically never coached in college to be a head coach. If he had wanted to make a hire like that in baseball, that would have been ok. He had some credibility there. He had no business doing that for football.

dawgman
04-13-2020, 10:13 AM
Bob Tyler was worst

maroonmania
04-13-2020, 10:39 AM
This is really is remarkable.

Amazing that a new AD hasn't just wanted "his guy" at any point

As I understand it, head of compliance is directly under the President, not the AD. Only one that can change out that position is Keenum.

Randolph Dupree
04-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Strick is a good fundraiser and butt kisser. He followed the plan put in place by Byrne and, as of others on this thread have stated, the good hires he made were essentially put in his lap. Is he a good AD? IMO he is like any other leader, he has his strengths and weaknesses. As long as you are aware of your weaknesses and can take measures mitigate them you can be very successful. So regardless of whether he is or isn't a good AD his leaving never bothered me a bit.

gtowndawg
04-13-2020, 10:54 AM
He wants to Commissioner of SEC and being at Florida goes further then Miss State.

I can buy that. Being the AD of two SEC schools (with two very different backgrounds) would provide a leg up on many applicants.

AROB44
04-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Bob Tyler was worst

You may be right....definitely a close call. I do have some stories on Tyler...what a piece of work he was. Never understood why folks think he was so great.

dawgman
04-13-2020, 11:26 AM
I agree as to why he is unjustifiably praised. He was Johnny Vaught's hand picked successor and Ole Miss waited a year too late to fire Bruiser Kinard, so we thought we would hire him out from under them. He could look you in the eye and tel you a lie, all the time know you were aware he was lying and then dare you to call him on the lie. When he got the AD job, he thought he was absolute and a dictator. When he went to North Texas State after us as Head FB Coach and AD, his heavy handed rule lasted only one year.

msbulldog
04-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Bob Tyler was worst

Wrong, Bob Tyler was a good coach.

DownwardDawg
04-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Nope......that honor belongs to LT.

Yeah, I must have had a brain fart. Of course it was LT. But Stricklin ain?t far behind.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 01:42 PM
4 athletic directors
5 football coaches
3 basketball coaches
4 baseball coaches

This is a VERY good point.

And even if he isn't under the AD I find it VERY hard to believe that Cohen wouldn't give input about him to Keenum. Just another MSU excuse to protect sacred cows while we all suffer.

dawgman
04-13-2020, 01:42 PM
Wrong, Bob Tyler was a good coach.

As someone who was in Starkville then, I must agree with AROB44 in that I cannot understand the credit given Tyler. He was a rebel as I noted in my other post in this thread. He was an outlaw. And if you believe the discount on clothing myth, I have some ocean front beach property for you in new mexico. Back then the NCAA reports were not published in full.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 01:44 PM
I can buy that. Being the AD of two SEC schools (with two very different backgrounds) would provide a leg up on many applicants.

One blueblood and one non-blueblood. He has also worked for Kentucky too.

I'm not sure if he is assertive enough to be commissioner. Which may be why they put him in place.

Todd4State
04-13-2020, 01:45 PM
As someone who was in Starkville then, I must agree with AROB in that I cannot understand the credit given Tyler. He was a rebel as I noted in my other post in this thread. He was an outlaw. And if you believe the discount on clothing myth, I have some ocean front beach property for you in new mexico. Back then the NCAA reports were not published in full.

For me I've always considered him a good football coach. Two 9 win football seasons one vacated by the NCAA after the Charlie Shira era helped turn us around and put us on equal footing as Ole Miss in football. As AD- I don't know. He may very well have been awful.

msbulldog
04-14-2020, 06:16 AM
As someone who was in Starkville then, I must agree with AROB44 in that I cannot understand the credit given Tyler. He was a rebel as I noted in my other post in this thread. He was an outlaw. And if you believe the discount on clothing myth, I have some ocean front beach property for you in new mexico. Back then the NCAA reports were not published in full.

I was a freshman in 1973, Tyler's first year as head coach. He had a 9-3 record in 1974, a 9-2 record in 1976 (before the NCAA made it 0-11). His overall on the field record was 39-25-3. He turned a program around that was at best abysmal for 30 years prior. Tyler was okay until he got hooked up with Spencer Bailey. And if you think that Bob Tyler was the only coach that ever cheated at MSU, you better hang on to your valuable property in New Mexico.

TALL DAWG
04-14-2020, 07:50 AM
I was a freshman in 1973, Tyler's first year as head coach. He had a 9-3 record in 1974, a 9-2 record in 1976 (before the NCAA made it 0-11). His overall on the field record was 39-25-3. He turned a program around that was at best abysmal for 30 years prior. Tyler was okay until he got hooked up with Spencer Bailey. And if you think that Bob Tyler was the only coach that ever cheated at MSU, you better hang on to your valuable property in New Mexico.

Scott who...?

dawgman
04-14-2020, 01:30 PM

I fully understand that others at State have bent the rules, but none with the audacity of Tyler. When he knew he was guilty, he got a state injunction to allow Larry Guillard to play. And lo and behold the injunction was overturned and we went on probation, including the forfeits. Looking to the short term, not the long term. To blatantly pull off this maneuver put us on the outlaw list with the NCAA where we get no benefit of the doubt with them. You can go ahead and believe all the fairy tales you wish. You probably believe the only infraction was the clothing discount also. Bob Tyler pushed this myth so hard it became truth to those that wanted to see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil fans. I too was a student a the time. As I said, he had no shame in telling you a lie and all the while knowing you were aware of the lie, daring you to call his hand. I knew football players and what they got.

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2020, 01:36 PM
I fully understand that others at State have bent the rules, but none with the audacity of Tyler. When he knew he was guilty, he got a state injunction to allow Larry Guillard to play. And lo and behold the injunction was overturned and we went on probation, including the forfeits. Looking to the short term, not the long term. To blatantly pull off this maneuver put us on the outlaw list with the NCAA where we get no benefit of the doubt with them. You can go ahead and believe all the fairy tales you wish. You probably believe the only infraction was the clothing discount also. Bob Tyler pushed this myth so hard it became truth to those that wanted to see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil fans. I too was a student a the time. As I said, he had no shame in telling you a lie and all the while knowing you were aware of the lie, daring you to call his hand. I knew football players and what they got.

The report is pretty clear - it was a lot more than the suit discount - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101990

3. NCAA Bylaw l-l-(a) [improper recruiting inducements] -- (i) A representative of
the University's athletic interests offered to provide a prospective student-athlete with
spending money any time he needed it if the young man would seriously consider
attending Mississippi State University; (ii) A representative of the University's athletic
interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to sign a Southeastern Conference
letter-of-intent by offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each
semester of his attendance at the University; (iii) A representative of the University's
athletic interests encouraged a prospective student-athlete to enroll in the University by
offering to provide the young man a cash payment during each semester of his attendance
at the University and, in addition, a cash bonus when he signed a Southeastern
Conference letter-of-intent with the University; (iv) A representative of the University's
athletic interests gave a prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to spend for his
own personal reasons; (v) A representative of the University's athletic interests gave a
prospective student-athlete cash on two occasions to encourage his enrollment in the
University, and (vi) A prospective student-athlete was given cash by a representative of
the University's athletic interests to encourage his enrollment in the University.

4. NCAA Bylaws l-l-(a) and l-5-(e) [improper recruiting inducements and improper
transportation] -- (i) Numerous prospective student-athletes were given cash for
entertainment expenses directly by assistant football coaches during their official visits to
the University's campus; (ii) Two representatives of the University's athletic interests
provided improper transportation to two prospective student-athletes; (iii) During his
official visit to the University's campus, a prospective student-athlete was entertained offcampus at the expense of the University; (iv) A representative of the University's athletic
interests was provided improper transportation to a prospective student-athlete, and (v)
An assistant football coach provided improper transportation to a prospective studentathlete.

Coach34
04-14-2020, 06:45 PM
Strick/Keenum got rid of Stands because of the drama around the program, the failed drug tests by the players, and the "image of Stands being a dirty recruiter". We all know that basketball recruiting is the dirtiest thing on the planet- so it is what it is. Strick was calling in former players and asking them if Stands had given them money during recruiting and such. That is the reason guys that wanted the job werent hired because Strick/Keenum wanted to clean up the image of the program. Enter Rick Ray and he teaches Strick/Keenum a valuable lesson.

Strick didnt hire Howland. Strick wanted to give Ray 1 more year. Told my buddy that at the SEC Tourney that season. Then we had boosters drop Howland in Strick's lap. Then Adidas joined in the push. Goodbye Ray- Strick's hand was forced.

Mullen respected Byrne and Cohen- Mullen looked at Strick as the cheerleader he was in HS.

Jeremy Foley hired Mullen. Foley fought it as long as he could- but after they got turned down 3-4 times, Foley bit the bullet and made Strick call Mullen before Tenn got him. Foley and Spurrier made the football hire- Strick just made the phone call. Strick is the face at Fla and does the PR- Foley didnt want to do that shit anymore. But Foley and Spurrier make the big decisions in that athletic dept