PDA

View Full Version : Issue with transfer portal that needs to be fixed

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 08:13 AM
I don't like the transfer portal the way it is. There should be a limit to transfer portal in basketball, too big an impact on a program and you can't manage or maintain when 80% roster turnover. At work, we have set 20% crew limits on year to year bid turnover due to that reason. Works pretty well. Use seniority to prioritize so seniors get first choice.

Football may never have a crushing issue % wise due to the numbers. Maybe it should be a total cap on # of players leaving - leaving early and transfers? Idk but the impact in basketball is really destructive. The transfer portal has been the first step of college sports moving from amateur sports to paid pro sports level 1 and I don't like it.

These kids are already getting paid pretty good with free school and basically free living while getting a degree to earn a living the rest of their lives playing a game they love. Most people would give their left arm for that opportunity. The entitlement mentality is taking its toll on the locker room and fun of the game. If any of you heard Herschel Walker talking about the transfer portal, look it up. He was spot on and that is from one of the greats who sees what is happening to college sports.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Not sure if you can prioritize people like that.

I just don't like the portal being open right now when coaches and teammates can't build relationships. I think it's an unfair time for coaches.

MSU has to get the culture right in football and basketball before we'll win big again.

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 08:28 AM
Not sure if you can prioritize people like that.

I just don't like the portal being open right now when coaches and teammates can't build relationships. I think it's an unfair time for coaches.

MSU has to get the culture right in football and basketball before we'll win big again.

Sure you can. Every union organization in American is prioritized that way. Would be good preparation for them getting ready for the real world.

Irondawg
04-12-2020, 08:37 AM
This vote on waiving sitting a year is huge for us. If they open that up, especially this year, it's going to be nuts. Hopefully the situation in the country makes the coaches vote against it this year.

I still think it gets approved eventually, but without the ability for new coaches to spend much time with players this year I just think a lot of schools will be hesitant to vote yes right now.

I agree we still have to find a better solution to this issue as it's just not healthy for the sports to have so many transfers. If they waive the sit out rule you're probably going to have a big spike in numbers. Basketball is already crazy and football would follow. I understand the want to give student flexibility but there has to be some sanity to it.

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 08:40 AM
This vote on waiving sitting a year is huge for us. If they open that up, especially this year, it's going to be nuts. Hopefully the situation in the country makes the coaches vote against it this year.

I still think it gets approved eventually, but without the ability for new coaches to spend much time with players this year I just think a lot of schools will be hesitant to vote yes right now.

I agree we still have to find a better solution to this issue as it's just not healthy for the sports to have so many transfers. If they waive the sit out rule you're probably going to have a big spike in numbers. Basketball is already crazy and football would follow. I understand the want to give student flexibility but there has to be some sanity to it.

Some flexibility is OK, but like a lot of things our society swings to door too far in the other direction. Like most things in life, there must be balance.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Eli Wright is in the portal again... I guess Stans didn?t work out for him....

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Eli Wright is in the portal again... I guess Stans didn?t work out for him....

Guess Stans isn't the answer. Sorry couldn't resist.

The next transfer should be out the door. Certainly should only be one transfer allowed. Also folks don't realize it burdens the system to change all the time.

Irondawg
04-12-2020, 09:14 AM
I think it should be one time transfer without penalty - but maybe a penalty if they transfer again unless they drop a division - then maybe for the schools a max number of transfers they can have on scholarship although that has an issues if you had a lot of people transfer out. Need to think more on it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2020, 09:30 AM
The new rule would be 1x without sitting out but if you transfer again you have to sit out no exceptions. I'd assume that wouldn't apply to grad transfers since they've earned that right.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2020, 09:40 AM
What I don't like about the 1 time free transfer is that it transfers power from the coaches to the players.

This has created coddling, culture problems in the NBA and will do the same in college sports.

When the players have more power than the coaches, it causes a steep regression in the ability of the coaches to teach accountability, respect, work ethic, and generally all things that come with growing up.

While I understand the rights of the player, I just don't see a 1 time transfer benefitting college sports, society, and most of the all the future success is the player.

18-22 year olds NEED coaching , hard coaching, and they NEED to be developed into responsible men. A one time free transfer will cause coaches to suck up to players, which just won't be positive for anyone and works against the greater good.

Joebob
04-12-2020, 11:49 AM
I think all the one and done and transferring that’s being done now is part of what’s hurting attendance at games. It’s hard to become emotionally attached to a team when you’re constantly wondering how many players from this year’s team are going to choose to leave after the season, for whatever reason. It has a subtle, cumulative effect. I know I certainly don’t look at college basketball the same way I used to.

Ezsoil
04-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Sure you can. Every union organization in American is prioritized that way. Would be good preparation for them getting ready for the real world.

Well outside of government employees, unions are a dying entity...not sure how much preparation that it's giving someone to say that a third party will determine your job and your pay....kinda preparing them to be sheep is more like it....

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2020, 11:55 AM
I think all the one and done and transferring that’s being done now is part of what’s hurting attendance at games. It’s hard to become emotionally attached to a team when you’re constantly wondering how many players from this year’s team are going to choose to leave after the season, for whatever reason. It has a subtle, cumulative effect. I know I certainly don’t look at college basketball the same way I used to.

Agree. Makes it almost impossible to build.

Irondawg
04-12-2020, 12:14 PM

Agree 100% - I care about 10% as much about men’s college basketball as I did a decade ago and it’s not just because MSU hasn’t been as good.

I’ve found myself enjoying the women’s team not because we are winning but you get attached to some players because a lot of them are here for 4 years. I know we’ve used transfers there as well but the program was built on girls that were there mostly for 4 years.

If the rule passes I will be curious how it affects the women’s game and how many more of them transfer than in the past

HoopsDawg
04-12-2020, 12:28 PM
What I don't like about the 1 time free transfer is that it transfers power from the coaches to the players.

This has created coddling, culture problems in the NBA and will do the same in college sports.

When the players have more power than the coaches, it causes a steep regression in the ability of the coaches to teach accountability, respect, work ethic, and generally all things that come with growing up.

While I understand the rights of the player, I just don't see a 1 time transfer benefitting college sports, society, and most of the all the future success is the player.

18-22 year olds NEED coaching , hard coaching, and they NEED to be developed into responsible men. A one time free transfer will cause coaches to suck up to players, which just won't be positive for anyone and works against the greater good.

you will see double payments. you get paid to sign with a school like Ole Miss out of High School. And then you are free to transfer again with no penalty. So if you perform well, you will get paid again to go to a school like AU.

Also, coaches can't be too hard on you or you will just transfer.

HoopsDawg
04-12-2020, 12:34 PM
here's another unintended consequence. Player realizes he won't play for Bama as a true freshman, he will have to redshirt. He goes to MSU and plays as a freshman to develop and get playing time and then transfers to Bama for 3 years.

Any time you make a rule with good intentions, like Title IX, there are going to be a ton of unintended consequences. I think a one time free transfer is a horrible idea except for baseball players or other athletes that aren't on full scholarships.

R2Dawg
04-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Well outside of government employees, unions are a dying entity...not sure how much preparation that it's giving someone to say that a third party will determine your job and your pay....kinda preparing them to be sheep is more like it....

Disagree. I work in a place built in 2003 and is unionized. New places opening up all time with unions.

3rd party don?t determine anything, you have choice to go somewhere else; guess what so do athletes but you have to abide by try rules of organization - company or NCAA or team.

Players being taught that rules are not for them. Entitlement culture we keep feeding will end in disaster. Reap what we sow. I am saying we need to sow better.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2020, 01:36 PM
here's another unintended consequence. Player realizes he won't play for Bama as a true freshman, he will have to redshirt. He goes to MSU and plays as a freshman to develop and get playing time and then transfers to Bama for 3 years.

Any time you make a rule with good intentions, like Title IX, there are going to be a ton of unintended consequences. I think a one time free transfer is a horrible idea except for baseball players or other athletes that aren't on full scholarships.

I agree.

I don't personally see how it will pass. Doesn't seem like something most schools would be in favor of.

Just wait till mid-major players with promise transfer out every year.