PDA

View Full Version : Possible Assistant Coaches (Women's Basketball Team)

jdelta02
04-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Old Dominion's Associate Head Coach, Keith Freeman....impressive, came in and helped Nikki McCray-Penson turn that program around. He's the former head women's basketball coach at Valparaiso. Led Valparaiso to a turnaround..including the NCAA Tournament. He was an assistant at Wright State for a while. Former head coach Saint Joseph's College and Huntington College (won a national championship). Also was a men's basketball head coach for a while early in his career. Led a team to a national championship early in his career as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he interviewed for the Old Dominion job.

(Note) He was the 3 time Mid-Continental Coach Of The Year at Valparaiso.

trob115
04-11-2020, 03:06 PM
What are the odds we keep our current roster intact ? Also, what about our signees ?

KOdawg1
04-11-2020, 03:15 PM
What are the odds we keep our current roster intact ? Also, what about our signees ?
I think there's a good chance of keeping the current players. The only one that worries me is Rickea, but supposedly McCray and her know each other, so we'll see.

McCray helped coach Team USA where signee Madison Hayes was, so they know each other as well, so hopefully she can hold onto her.

Wouldn't surprise me if Gatson went to UT with Vic since she's from Texas.

klong-dog
04-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Rickea is my concern as well. She's the one we need most of all too.

captaindog
04-11-2020, 03:32 PM
It depends on her goals. If anyone is suggesting she may go to Texas I counter she would have a much better chance to win big at MSU. My concern would be her going to another big time program.

jdelta02
04-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Keisha Hunt, head coach at Hamilton Heights HS (Tennessee) would be a very good pickup. Very good recruiting connections in the southeast (including high school, aau, USA Basketball 3X3, ect), and the Dominican Republic. She's an outstanding coach as well.

My opinion, very capable of transitioning to coaching on the college level (even head coach positions).....given an opportunity.

Captain Falcon
04-12-2020, 08:37 AM
It appears that Scepter Brownlee is coming with her from ODU considering he just followed our entire team plus Cohen on Twitter. His only experience coaching on the on the women’s side is at ODU but he has a pretty wide range of other experience. Been a men’s assistant coach and appears to be pretty plugged in to the high school and AAU circuit. He was Nikki’s trainer during her WNBA days so they go way back.

maroonmania
04-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Rickea is my concern as well. She's the one we need most of all too.

Yea, kind of like saying the Cleveland Cavaliers were not worried about anyone going free agent off their roster other than Lebron James. Well, maybe not quite that bad but pretty close if we want to be a nationally relevant team the next few seasons. If we lose Rickea it would be on the level of if we had lost Queen V.

jdelta02
04-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Another name.....Old Dominion assistant coach and recruiting coordinator, Brittany Young. Former head coach at Stetson. In 2 seasons, she helped lead them to a 26 win season, and the Atlantic Sun Regular Season Championship. Also, she was a grad-assistant at South Carolina under Coach Dawn Staley....South Carolina coaching connection with her as well. Prior to coaching at Stetson, Young was as an assistant coach at Daytona State College....recruiting coordinator, director of player development, director of operations, academic coordinator, and strength and conditioning.

Brittany Young....is definitely another big key to helping Nikki McCray-Penson turn things around at Old Dominion.

Captain Falcon
04-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Yea, kind of like saying the Cleveland Cavaliers were not worried about anyone going free agent off their roster other than Lebron James. Well, maybe not quite that bad but pretty close if we want to be a nationally relevant team the next few seasons. If we lose Rickea it would be on the level of if we had lost Queen V.

Not denying that Rickea would be a huge loss, because she absolutely would and you’d have to lower expectations for next year some. Having said that, you’re still talking about a roster loaded with 4 and 5 stars even without Rickea. We would still be good, just maybe not elite.

RiverCityDawg
04-12-2020, 01:38 PM
Never mind, I confused East Hamilton with Hamilton Heights.

jdelta02
04-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Miss. State possibly keeping 1 assistant from the Coach Schaefer staff (Miss. State).

Todd4State
04-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Miss. State possibly keeping 1 assistant from the Coach Schaefer staff (Miss. State).

Lovato?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2020, 07:06 PM

None of the assistants will be back. Maybe a support staffer.

jdelta02
04-12-2020, 07:27 PM
None of the assistants will be back. Maybe a support staffer.

Yes, new report...Coach Schaefer taking the whole coaching staff. This is very much in line with original reports. Wouldn't be surprise to see some sort of staff member remain....possibly 1 assistant remaining prove to be correct. Changing info, fluid situation, ect.. Basically, wouldn't count out both reports being reported correctly.

Feel good that McCray-Penson...is willing to take on at least 1 of Coach Schaefer's staff. Whoever decides to stay or not being a spot for them on the Texas staff. Especially if they fill a need, the right fit, ect.

trob115
04-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Rickea just announced she's coming back here ! That's huge.

jdelta02
04-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Brittany Young (Old Dominion WBK Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator). Nothing announced officially, but don't be surprised...Coach McCray-Penson bring her along as an assistant. Also, she was previously on Dawn Staley's staff at South Carolina as well. Has an Impressive resume.

jdelta02
04-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Saw in a couple of places online.....the name DeLisha Milton-Jones being thrown out there. She's the former head women's basketball coach at Pepperdine, and a current assistant for the Syracuse women's program. Also, she coached USA Basketball with McCray-Penson.

She's a Georgia native, played her college basketball at the University Of Florida. Former WNBA standout and WNBA Championship. 2-Time Olympic Gold Medalist (women's basketball)

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Saw in a couple of places online.....the name DeLisha Milton-Jones being thrown out there. She's the former head women's basketball coach at Pepperdine, and a current assistant for the Syracuse women's program. Also, she coached USA Basketball with McCray-Penson.

She's a Georgia native, played her college basketball at the University Of Florida. Played in the WNBA.

Fans have thrown the name out there but I haven't seen any tangible evidence she's a realistic option. She would be a home run hire.

jdelta02
04-17-2020, 04:21 PM
DeLisha Milton-Jones to Old Dominion

Also, being reported that Coach Nikki McCray-Penson is bringing Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator Brittany Young with her from Old Dominion.