PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl article on SAM LB's in our new scheme

Todd4State
04-10-2020, 10:03 PM
It sounds to me like we are going to use Jordan Davis and Tre Lawson as LB's in our new 3-3-5 scheme which to me says that we're going to use Marquiss Spencer and Kobe Jones at DE and probably Nathan Pickering at NT. I'm happy to hear this because to me it sounds like we're going to get our best players on the field.

DE- Spencer
NT- Pickering
DE- Kobe Jones

WLB- Wheat or Brule
MLB- Erroll
SAM- Jordan Davis or Lawson

CB- Tyler Williams
CB- Emerson
DOG- Jarrian Jones
DOG- Peters or Morgan if he is healthy
FS- Murphy

Not a bad starting defense on paper.

confucius say
04-10-2020, 10:23 PM
What you think the 2 deep for all dl positions looks like?

KOdawg1
04-10-2020, 11:50 PM
That's a solid starting defense. Got some depth concerns in some areas, but we should be pretty scrappy.

Todd4State
04-11-2020, 12:20 AM
What you think the 2 deep for all dl positions looks like?

DE- Spencer/Aaron Odom?
NT- Pickering/Cameron Young/Armondous Cooley?
DE- Kobe Jones/Crumedy

WLB- Wheat/Brule
MLB- Erroll/Jett Johnson?
SAM- Davis/Lawson

CB- Williams/Kyle Cass?
CB- Emerson/Emmanuel Forbes?
DOG- Jones/Janari Dean
DOG- Peters/Morgan
FS- Murphy/Decamarion Richardson?

It's hard to project because of Tutor Gate we didn't really get to see a lot of the freshmen last year on defense.

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 06:42 AM
DE- Spencer/Aaron Odom?
NT- Pickering/Cameron Young/Armondous Cooley?
DE- Kobe Jones/Crumedy

WLB- Wheat/Brule
MLB- Erroll/Jett Johnson?
SAM- Davis/Lawson

CB- Williams/Kyle Cass?
CB- Emerson/Emmanuel Forbes?
DOG- Jones/Janari Dean
DOG- Peters/Morgan
FS- Murphy/Decamarion Richardson?

It's hard to project because of Tutor Gate we didn't really get to see a lot of the freshmen last year on defense.

If we have that many redshirt and true freshman in the 2 deep we won't win 5 games.

confucius say
04-11-2020, 07:39 AM
I think russel is too good an athlete to keep off the two deep.

And what about the kid from pelahatchie who was in the car wreck?

Uncle Ruckus
04-11-2020, 10:14 AM
We won’t.

Bothrops
04-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Jordan Davis as a LB? What the hell?

RiverCityDawg
04-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Jordan Davis as a LB? What the hell?

Yeah, same way Preston Smith is a linebacker, Jadaveon Clowny, Clay Matthews, TJ Watt, etc.

It's what most people these days just call an "Edge".

Leeshouldveflanked
04-11-2020, 04:03 PM
I figure some of those DE?s that we signed like King Ani will be OLB?s.... heck Tim Nelson was every bit 5?9? 170 lbs... we have several 6 ft 200 lb types...

Todd4State
04-11-2020, 04:37 PM
If we have that many redshirt and true freshman in the 2 deep we won't win 5 games.

It's definitely a concern. Part of it has to do with Tutor Gate and not really seeing too much of some of these players.

msu15
04-11-2020, 06:24 PM

Care to wager?

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 07:22 PM
Care to wager?

Lol..it would be the easiest bet of my life. We couldn't score enough points if that's the defensive depth chart.

The coaches are smarter than that.

confucius say
04-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Lol..it would be the easiest bet of my life. We couldn't score enough points if that's the defensive depth chart.

The coaches are smarter than that.

I'm not seeing any freshmen on that two deep he listed at DL or LB.

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 09:44 PM
I'm not seeing any freshmen on that two deep he listed at DL or LB.

There are 3 levels not 2 . He has 3 true freshman in the 2 deep in the secondary alone. That's a 14-21 swing any game.

confucius say
04-11-2020, 09:56 PM
There are 3 levels not 2 . He has 3 true freshman in the 2 deep in the secondary alone. That's a 14-21 swing any game.

True, but even at the third level those 3 freshmen of which you speak are reserves. And I'd much much rather be young at a dog safety or corner than on the dl. I think it's an issue, but not 3 TD swing per game type issue.

Todd4State
04-11-2020, 10:40 PM

I could see Shawn Preston in the two deep at LB or DOG. Not sure where we are going to play him. I'm not sure where Landon Guidry, Jaylon Reed, and Esias Furdge are in their development so I went with the players with a higher ceiling.

bulldawg28
04-12-2020, 07:45 AM
True, but even at the third level those 3 freshmen of which you speak are reserves. And I'd much much rather be young at a dog safety or corner than on the dl. I think it's an issue, but not 3 TD swing per game type issue.

A young corner is a disaster waiting to happen. You remember the easy TD's we gave up last year whenever the true freshman got in the games? Auburn game and a few others come to mind.

bulldawg28
04-12-2020, 07:48 AM
I could see Shawn Preston in the two deep at LB or DOG. Not sure where we are going to play him. I'm not sure where Landon Guidry, Jaylon Reed, and Esias Furdge are in their development so I went with the players with a higher ceiling.

Freshman in the secondary is a guaranteed touchdown or busted coverage waiting to happen. Whenever a team needs a play all they have to do is go at the freshman.

confucius say
04-12-2020, 08:30 AM
A young corner is a disaster waiting to happen. You remember the easy TD's we gave up last year whenever the true freshman got in the games? Auburn game and a few others come to mind.

I'm not saying freshmen corners are ideal. Of course not. But they can physically compete and hold up whereas often times freshmen dl cannot. That's my point.

And The issue against auburn, and most everybody, is we could not stop the run and had to over commit to it. In the games we could stop the run with our front, I don't remember our freshmen corners looking bad.

bulldawg28
04-12-2020, 12:10 PM
I'm not saying freshmen corners are ideal. Of course not. But they can physically compete and hold up whereas often times freshmen dl cannot. That's my point.

And The issue against auburn, and most everybody, is we could not stop the run and had to over commit to it. In the games we could stop the run with our front, I don't remember our freshmen corners looking bad.

The freshman didn't look bad they just played like freshman. Busted coverages and beginners level techniques.

BB30
04-13-2020, 11:29 AM
We have had more luck with Freshman DL having to play lately than we have our DBs.

Our secondary was atrocious last year.