PDA

View Full Version : Penn State transfer....Lauren Ebo (Women's Basketball Portal)

jdelta02
04-10-2020, 07:12 PM
6-4 center out of Penn State named Lauren Ebo was expected to be publically announcing transferring to the Miss. State women's basketball program before Coach Schaefer took the Texas job.

She's a big, strong post player, just finished up her second season at Penn State. Similar sized player as A. Boston, Promise Taylor. Didn't put up big numbers at Penn State this past season...but was fairly solid overall, showed potential, upside.

Possibly...(1) stay with Miss. State, (2) go to Texas with Coach Schaefer and other members of the staff, (3) other option, (4) stay at Penn State

Cooterpoot
04-10-2020, 07:14 PM
She's not coming to State. She goes where Johnnie goes.

TALL DAWG
04-10-2020, 08:13 PM
She's not coming to State. She goes where Johnnie goes.

Well...who’s to say...we don’t keep Johnnie....?
Give her a huge raise...

Cooterpoot
04-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Well...who’s to say...we don’t keep Johnnie....?
Give her a huge raise...

Only way Johnnie is here is if she's HC.

basedog
04-11-2020, 07:51 AM
Only way Johnnie is here is if she's HC.

I think you are correct on saying this, but stranger things have happened. Maybe she stays IF McCray is the HC and/or she ask her to stay on board. Like most Coaches, ego plays a big part with decisions as does money.

I know "iffy" at best.

Cooterpoot
04-11-2020, 09:42 AM
Johnnie is already headed to TX.

maroonmania
04-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Johnnie is already headed to TX.

I really hope we don't end up regretting not giving the job to Johnnie. We had a great thing going with the culture under Schaefer and Harris. Would have loved to have seen Harris have a chance to keep that going. Not only that, I think Harris would have stayed with us for a long time as HC. Hopefully Penson has a lot of success but if she does she will be at TN as soon as they come after her.

Gutter Cobreh
04-11-2020, 01:41 PM
I really hope we don't end up regretting not giving the job to Johnnie. We had a great thing going with the culture under Schaefer and Harris. Would have loved to have seen Harris have a chance to keep that going. Not only that, I think Harris would have stayed with us for a long time as HC. Hopefully Penson has a lot of success but if she does she will be at TN as soon as they come after her.

Not knocking you maroonmania, as I like Harris, but I wonder if other fan bases get as enamored with assistant coaches and wanting them to be promoted when a vacancy comes open? Regardless of sport, it seems like the first reaction is wanting to promote someone from the existing staff along with keeping all the assistant coaches under the departing coach.

I don't read any other team forums, so wasn't sure if it was us or other fan bases are the same?

maroonmania
04-11-2020, 01:55 PM
Not knocking you maroonmania, as I like Harris, but I wonder if other fan bases get as enamored with assistant coaches and wanting them to be promoted when a vacancy comes open? Regardless of sport, it seems like the first reaction is wanting to promote someone from the existing staff along with keeping all the assistant coaches under the departing coach.

I don't read any other team forums, so wasn't sure if it was us or other fan bases are the same?

Strange that you say that as normally I don't want promotion from within. Can't really remember the last time I thought it was a good idea. I didn't want Gary Henderson promoted and was really not that enthused about our softball program doing that (though things look promising there). But our women's BB program is not a normal program right now. Whatever the culture Schaefer had in place was something very special and unlike anything in our history in that sport. And Harris was his clear right hand assistant in that sport and had a very big part in building that culture. This is not even close to anything of just being enamored with an assistant coach being promoted whenever any vacancy comes open.

basedog
04-11-2020, 04:14 PM
At first I was saying I hope Harris gets the job, but when I saw and read about McCray-Penson it was a no brainer. Actually I was for her over Walz.

I wish Harris the best in whatever she chooses, sometimes learning from others is a big step up in your career. I think she can always get a job with Vic and maybe Blair as well.

I think Cooter is saying she is gone, but I haven't read anything, I'm sure she was waiting to she if she got the Msu job.

Irondawg
04-11-2020, 04:29 PM
We just have to trust John that he knew more about Johnnie than any other candidate and chose not to give her the job. Hopefully his instincts were right.

But from my count TX is going to have to make room for additional players assuming nobody is in the portal or already asked out of their NLI. But not sure why anybody there would want to jump ship with Vic coming on board.

I also don't know their roster so don't know if Ebo is a need there

RocketDawg
04-11-2020, 07:14 PM
At first I was saying I hope Harris gets the job, but when I saw and read about McCray-Penson it was a no brainer. Actually I was for her over Walz.

I wish Harris the best in whatever she chooses, sometimes learning from others is a big step up in your career. I think she can always get a job with Vic and maybe Blair as well.

I think Cooter is saying she is gone, but I haven't read anything, I'm sure she was waiting to she if she got the Msu job.

Blair? Where does she figure into the picture? Are you anticipating her being a coach somewhere?

Gutter Cobreh
04-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Strange that you say that as normally I don't want promotion from within. Can't really remember the last time I thought it was a good idea. I didn't want Gary Henderson promoted and was really not that enthused about our softball program doing that (though things look promising there). But our women's BB program is not a normal program right now. Whatever the culture Schaefer had in place was something very special and unlike anything in our history in that sport. And Harris was his clear right hand assistant in that sport and had a very big part in building that culture. This is not even close to anything of just being enamored with an assistant coach being promoted whenever any vacancy comes open.

I understand. I'm not immune to the thought myself. When Vic announced he was leaving, I immediately preferred Harris for the culture reason you listed and I think she played a huge role in making Vic successful.

I'm just trying to figure out if it is a natural reaction to want an assistant, or just assume you're going to hit the open market to see what's out there? We've had a lot of coaching turnover and every time there quite a number of posters who either want to bring back a former assistant or hire a current assistant. Was just curious if other program's fans were that way, and whether it's simply because of familiarity?

Irondawg
04-11-2020, 07:34 PM
If Vic gives Blair a chair there isn't room for somebody on the current staff so we should be able to keep 1 of the current staff if Nikki wanted to

basedog
04-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Blair? Where does she figure into the picture? Are you anticipating her being a coach somewhere?

Aggies WBB Coach

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Aggies WBB Coach

Good. She's not ready to coach in a top 10 program yet.

basedog
04-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Good. She's not ready to coach in a top 10 program yet.

I'm just saying I think Gary Blair might would hire her as an assistant.

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 09:39 PM
I'm just saying I think Gary Blair might would hire her as an assistant.

Why do you think that? She has no experience coaching and hasn't earned it.

basedog
04-11-2020, 10:25 PM
Why do you think that? She has no experience coaching and hasn't earned it.

I'm talking about Johhnie Harris. LOL. Gary Blair might hire Johhnie Harris, she was with him at Ark and A&M.

ChillbillyRock
04-11-2020, 10:42 PM

This first paragraph is 100% my thoughts

bulldawg28
04-11-2020, 10:52 PM
I'm talking about Johhnie Harris. LOL. Gary Blair might hire Johhnie Harris, she was with him at Ark and A&M.

Gotcha, my bad.

Cooterpoot
04-13-2020, 03:50 PM
She announced for TX.

jdelta02
04-13-2020, 04:32 PM
She announced for TX.

Correct... Penn State transfer Lauren Ebo comitted to Texas. Appears Coach Schaefer and his staff's 1st comitt since taking the Texas job. Staff was already heavy in the mix with her before Coach Schaefer took the Texas job....she was actualy looking to publically comitt to Miss. State before he left.

Coach McCray-Penson just recently got the Miss. State job, and still working on getting her staff together, ect. Giver her time to setup, get organized, she'll definitely get some players....really good players, good fits.

Captain Falcon
04-13-2020, 04:37 PM
We have open scholarships but I?m not sure we have many open minutes for next year... we have a very deep team, and that?s not even counting Hayes, who is a McDonald?s AA and will play a lot, and Gaston could contribute as well.

My guess is we leave at least a couple of spots open and go for a big 2021 signing class. May be the way to go so that we can space out the roster a bit.

Irondawg
04-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Wonder who they are kicking off to make room for her. Also takes up a spot they can?t use for somebody else