04-09-2020, 10:09 PM
Great hire!

parabrave
04-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Will she install a zone against SC???

dawgday166
04-09-2020, 11:15 PM
You ain't Bert Stare are you?? *

I was kinda pulling for her ... what little research I have done.

KOdawg1
04-09-2020, 11:17 PM
This is what I'm most excited about. She knows Dawn and the way she does things. Love Vic and all that he did, but he choked most of the time against SC, and it cost us multiple SEC championships and a national championship. Hoping Nikki won't be scared of Dawn and that we take the next step forward as a program

Todd4State
04-09-2020, 11:18 PM

Never understood this about Vic. Also never really complained about it much because of the overall results but still...

HailStateSZN19
04-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Rosebowl is saying hold your horses. That anyone reporting a deal is done is getting ahead of their skis and that talks will resume tomorrow but nothing is final just yet. That’s odd to me. I figured as soon as Walz’s name was off the board, we’d move to McCray and she'd accept immediately. But now talks are going to resume tomorrow? I don’t get it. Something doesn’t add up if that’s what’s happening. McCray would have accepted the job on the spot when offered. Anyone got anything to add to that or any inside info here?

Red Clay Hills
04-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Rosebowl is saying hold your horses. That anyone reporting a deal is done is getting ahead of their skis and that talks will resume tomorrow but nothing is final just yet. That’s odd to me. I figured as soon as Walz’s name was off the board, we’d move to McCray and she'd accept immediately. But now talks are going to resume tomorrow? I don’t get it. Something doesn’t add up if that’s what’s happening. McCray would have accepted the job on the spot when offered. Anyone got anything to add to that or any inside info here?

Thank you, Rosebowl, for helping bring Oxford and Freeze down. Otherwise, wrong again. ESPN confirming with Commercial Dispatch as source.

Todd4State
04-10-2020, 12:07 AM
I wonder how our rivalry with South Carolina is going to be now? Less intense or more intense?

BeardoMSU
04-10-2020, 12:08 AM
Thank you, Rosebowl, for helping bring Oxford and Freeze down. Otherwise, wrong again. ESPN confirming with Commercial Dispatch as source.

His obsession for detail is only directed to OM.**

Avelso
04-10-2020, 12:16 AM
Maybe she wants to be 100% sure her staff and team knows what?s up and doesn?t want to have a tweet inform her players of her intentions during a pandemic.

Irondawg
04-10-2020, 12:43 AM
I think Walz made the decision to stay tonight and we offered Nikki and she took it but it was late and so tomorrow we will work out contract details and let her handle it the way she wants to unlike what Texas did with Vic.

We will work out contract details, let her tell her team and staff and then talk to our girls. Then we will announce her mid-day

Captain Falcon
04-10-2020, 06:38 AM
I wonder how our rivalry with South Carolina is going to be now? Less intense or more intense?

I think it all depends on how good the two teams are. Always felt like the rivalry was built on respect with Vic and Dawn. SC has had more off the court beef with Missouri than they’ve ever had with us. It’s been a rivalry simply because the two of us have separated ourselves as the best two teams in the league the last few years. As long as both are competing for championships, it’s not going anywhere.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-10-2020, 06:58 AM
So Walz is taking a pay cut and budget cut to his program to stay at Louisville? You don?t see that everyday.

Tbonewannabe
04-10-2020, 08:03 AM
I wonder if we are adding that it cost more to go to a SEC school if she leaves. That is my only worry with her, jumping ship to Tennessee. I would think that more than 3x her salary would be enough to get her to MSU.

Dogbone
04-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Mississippi State to hire ODU coach Nikki McCray-Penson - ESPN.com

somebodyshotmypaw
04-10-2020, 08:19 AM
Mississippi State to hire ODU coach Nikki McCray-Penson - ESPN.com

This headline would prove Rosebowl right. Because it's says "to hire", not "has hired". The details are being worked out I would imagine between the two parties.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-10-2020, 08:24 AM

The commercial dispatch did not confirm. They agree with Rosebowl. From the article:

"MSU could have found a replacement"

"Cohen is seemingly set to hire"

"A deal is yet to be officially agreed upon"

So many struggle with reading comprehension. The article is saying that we are apparently hiring McCray, but the deal isn't finalized. Rosebowl is saying the same thing.

Dawg2003
04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Her assistant coach pedigree is as good as you can get. 9 years under Staley. It's always a gamble, but her resume is good.

HailStateSZN19
04-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Sounds like the hold up is that we are including a non-compete clause with any SEC team and McCray probably doesn’t like that because if Tennessee opened up, she’d jump at that if they wanted her. That could be a deal breaker if Cohen demands that be in the contract. Rosey saying sit tight, this thing ain’t over and it could wind up being someone else or they could work this out. But that this search could go into tomorrow. And some new names could pop up in the next 24 hours. This has been quite the turn of events the last 24 hours.

Dawg2003
04-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else think that our athletic department looks like dysfunctional amateurs for letting all of this leak?

confucius say
04-10-2020, 09:30 AM
Does anyone else think that our athletic department looks like dysfunctional amateurs for letting all of this leak?

Don't assume it's our side of the deal that is leaking things.

bulldawg28
04-10-2020, 09:30 AM
Sounds like the hold up is that we are including a non-compete clause with any SEC team and McCray probably doesn’t like that because if Tennessee opened up, she’d jump at that if they wanted her. That could be a deal breaker if Cohen demands that be in the contract. Rosey saying sit tight, this thing ain’t over and it could wind up being someone else or they could work this out. But that this search could go into tomorrow. And some new names could pop up in the next 24 hours. This has been quite the turn of events the last 24 hours.

If this is true it's the football search all over again.

AROB44
04-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Dead Indians at work......

TheLostDawg
04-10-2020, 09:38 AM

Yeah someone in there is letting it leak and they need to figure out who it is.

Also if Cohen folds on the buy out then he should be let go. I'd rather have Harris and her have a short learning curve than be looking for another coach in three years

Irondawg
04-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Shotgun should be proud of Cohen here - looks like he's trying to protect MSU interests hard, but have to understand it can be a tough ask of a lot of candidates.

basedog
04-10-2020, 09:55 AM
It's hard for me to understand for any Coach holding out for a clause in a 4 year contract? I mean McCray-Penson is 48 years old, a huge raise in store plus a chance to be a HC in a major conference. This doesn't add up, I hope its just some kind of smoke screen, so she can get there ducks in a row as in saying good bye to her team and school.

I don't think anyone can blame Cohen for all this, gotta think she said she wanted the job and the money.

AlSwearengen
04-10-2020, 09:57 AM
She could easily bolt to Tennessee after 3 years here. She is handed a top 5 team/program, so it is going to be hard to mess that up and UT will start coveting her unless the current coach wins BIG immediately and consistently, which isn’t going to be easy. I can understand what Cohen is doing here.

DownwardDawg
04-10-2020, 09:57 AM

No. Our fans are like other schools fans. A bunch of basket cases that freak out over everything they read on the internet. Nobody outside of the AD knows shit. Just like the football coach search. Nobody knew a damn thing and we hired Mike Leach.

basedog
04-10-2020, 10:00 AM
No. Our fans are like other schools fans. A bunch of basket cases that freak out over everything they read on the internet. Nobody outside of the AD knows shit. Just like the football coach search. Nobody knew a damn thing and we hired Mike Leach.

Rosebowl says hold my beer***

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Bert Stare says we knew everything, but things change...****

Dawgface
04-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Are you just reading between the lines or has Rosebowl said a non-compete is a hold up?

TheLostDawg
04-10-2020, 10:18 AM
She might be trying to leverage Cohen. Bigger pay to sign an SEC non-compete/large buy out. I'm okay with paying her pretty good money with larger increases if we continue this run of success but it has to have something in place to discourage Tennessee for coming and getting her in a few years. You know Tennessee hate seeing us and south Carolina doing so well and them not at the top. Look at McCray's turn around at old dominion. Her first to third year. She's a good coach. It's just not worth it if she leaves year three. We'd be better off seeing if Harris could handle it and possibly keeping Harris at least twice that long than that happening.

Let's see what Cohen can do once again. I don't think a high buy out should be a problem considering she should know we're willing to pay top dollar if she maintains where we are and she would have the tools to do so (along with a renovated coliseum which she would have some say in).
I agree that I thinks it's probably the two sides working on a contract now and her wanting to tell her players first.

confucius say
04-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Yeah someone in there is letting it leak and they need to figure out who it is.

Also if Cohen folds on the buy out then he should be let go. I'd rather have Harris and her have a short learning curve than be looking for another coach in three years

Don't you think it much more likely the leak is coming from penson McCray's side?

msbulldog
04-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Are you just reading between the lines or has Rosebowl said a non-compete is a hold up?

Yep that's what he said.

Dawgface
04-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Yep that's what he said.

Thanks.

basedog
04-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Don't you think it much more likely the leak is coming from penson McCray's side?

Maybe her agent

FISHDAWG
04-10-2020, 11:26 AM
She could easily bolt to Tennessee after 3 years here. She is handed a top 5 team/program, so it is going to be hard to mess that up and UT will start coveting her unless the current coach wins BIG immediately and consistently, which isn?t going to be easy. I can understand what Cohen is doing here.

OK - then we put a Large buy-out in the contract and make it worth our while ..... I negotiate contracts a lot in my line of work and there is always a certain amount of back and forth - while the principle subject matter is agreed on first and there is an "Understanding" ... a lot of language and details will be challenged, changed, tweaked, and ultimately worked out knowing that the deal is going to happen .... most of that is probably being worked out now .... you always save the "DEAL BREAKERS" for last and that is probably where they are right now ... Something official probably won't happen until next week sometime unless the non-compete is a deal breaker they can't get past which I kinda doubt

R2Dawg
04-10-2020, 11:39 AM
OK - then we put a Large buy-out in the contract and make it worth our while ..... I negotiate contracts a lot in my line of work and there is always a certain amount of back and forth - while the principle subject matter is agreed on first and there is an "Understanding" ... a lot of language and details will be challenged, changed, tweaked, and ultimately worked out knowing that the deal is going to happen .... most of that is probably being worked out now .... you always save the "DEAL BREAKERS" for last and that is probably where they are right now ... Something official probably won't happen until next week sometime unless the non-compete is a deal breaker they can't get past which I kinda doubt

Here is what Cohen can pitch - you can leave for another SEC school only if they offer more than staying at MSU. That puts us in the drivers seat but gives her an out too.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Deal must be done -
MSU plane just left (reported by Joel T)
And Wikipedia now lists her as our coach (fwiw)

msbulldog
04-10-2020, 12:19 PM
google her the main page says she's our coach.

msbulldog
04-10-2020, 12:22 PM
Would love to know what became of the no compete.

BeardoMSU
04-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Would love to know what became of the no compete.

We agreed to let her coach both us AND Tennessee next year**

basedog
04-10-2020, 12:48 PM
We agreed to let her coach both us AND Tennessee next year**

+1 LMBO

smootness
04-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Deal must be done -

Wikipedia had that listed last night.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-10-2020, 05:46 PM
Deal must be done -

Maybe Nelle and John went to fire Leach.

Todd4State
04-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Maybe Nelle and John went to fire Leach.

In Athens, Georgia? Lol.

Red Clay Hills
04-10-2020, 11:57 PM
The commercial dispatch did not confirm. They agree with Rosebowl. From the article:

"MSU could have found a replacement"

"Cohen is seemingly set to hire"

"A deal is yet to be officially agreed upon"

So many struggle with reading comprehension. The article is saying that we are apparently hiring McCray, but the deal isn't finalized. Rosebowl is saying the same thing.

I'm sorry someone shot your paw. I actually read and comprehend quite well....admittedly, I didn't actually read the article. I just saw the espn notification on my phone. Either way, Rosie is meh. Just my opinion. Carry on.

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2020, 12:16 AM
Nice write up in "The State" the largest newspaper for South Carolina.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article241905901.html

Interesting that "the State" talks up Vic and then says, he was 3-12 vs South Carolina